Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

logos

New update.

"Useful Info & Links

8 Comments

14 likes

Hey, everyone. Just a quick note today before the holiday weekend.

We’ve put all the cards for the Queadluun-Rau and Nousjadeul-Ger on DriveThruRPG over the last week, including the Malcontents cards that just went up today.

Super Valkyrie cards will come next week, but I think Monday’s uploads will be updated versions of the standard Valkyrie cards to reflect the official change in the number of Long-Range Missiles from 8 to 6, reflecting the reduced cost of the Ammo 6 version of that missile upgrade.

Our DriveThruRPG page:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2627&src=palladium

Other Robotech® RPG Tactics™ resources, including the Color Templates as individual image files:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=765&Itemid=479

The official Robotech® RPG Tactics™ FAQ and Errata page:

http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=147215

Have a good weekend, guys."

Whoa...whoa...whoa. What have I posted that would lead you to believe I am a true believer? I wasn't playing Battletech when the unseens were still seen, and while I had backed it originally to use the minis with PB's Robotech RPG, I have no intention of using that game system at this time. In any case there is still a sizable number of people who bought in to play the wargame itself, some of whom are actually playing it.

A lot of time has passed for backer motivations for the Kickstarter to change, especially after the honeymoon period ended and backers got a real look at what exactly they got themselves into and who they collectively gave their money to. And it's probably a bigger portion of the backers than anyone wants to admit that this point. But at least you still have a use for it instead of, apparently, chucking it in the closet and forgetting it like a lot of people have been saying here. Even more so with the "Shut up and take my money" people that pop up these days, everyone is in the same boat now.

We should also consider the topic, I think many of us have Robotech / Macross - HG / Big West opinions. This thread is really supposed to be about the game, pieces quality, etc.

I think it's relevant since Kevin Siembieda has mentioned them as part of their process for official products even before the Kickstarter and implicitly spreading the blame for the schedule delays and quality troubles here. Granted though, they're apparently taking down everybody who ever worked with them for this project.

Edited by Einherjar

I haven't been on this site in awhile, but figured "you know what...I bet there's some good info on RPG tactics". You guys always surprise me with your insider information.

Any way, I thought I'd share my experience with the game so far. Well, not the game, as I haven't played anything yet. But I have put together all of my models received from the Battlecry set wave 1.

Before this, I hadn't put together a model since 8th grade (I'm 40 now) when I completely bungled a F-19 Testors model. So, I was a little aprehensive about taking on this project. And when I saw how many pieces were in each model...I cried a little inside.

But you know what, it really wasn't that hard, and I really enjoyed putting them together. I started with the Regults first, and since I had over 20 of them, I was pretty confident by the time I got to the valkyries. By the time I did the battloids, I felt comfortable cutting them up and modding them. I really like how all of my models have turned out. (Well, I did put the groin of one Defender on backwards...wtf, I've only been looking at these things since I was 10).

I've now started painting them, and I'm enjoying that part too. It takes me about one night per model, so I expect it's going to take a while to finish, but it's not really hard if you have patience. Hopefully, I'll get faster as I go along (as I did building them).

So, I guess I'm skeptical about all the people on the Kickstarter page that claim to have 20 years experience and who claim that the models are impossibly hard to put together. If I can do it, with basically no experience, then anyone can.

Really hoping the game survives long enough to do the other eras. I'm a little concerned about the scaling, as the rest of the mecha will be tiny, but it will allow for some epic gameplay. (Yes, I was one of "those guys" that voted to do the other generations in 15mm scale).

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

So, I guess I'm skeptical about all the people on the Kickstarter page that claim to have 20 years experience and who claim that the models are impossibly hard to put together. If I can do it, with basically no experience, then anyone can.

The thing is not that they are impossibly hard to put together, it is that there was no excuse for their being so many parts. Those who have been putting game miniatures together have an expectation of how many parts a mini of this size requires and the RT ones are way too high. That said I have seen painted up models and they are excellent when finished.

There are multiple things that should have been made as one part. Like the spartan arms, almost every leg and foot assembly, that tiny canopy cover for the battloid, that tiny thing on the phalanx, that other piece on the phalanx, the Vf-1 head variations, the hips of the destroids...

I totally agree that the part count is way too high. Seriously, WTF is up with the heat shield on the Valkyrie battloid? Or the ill fitting antenna on the Scout Regult?

However, I feel that the part count was driven in large part by the Kickstarter backers. After seeing the initial renders, the kickstarter backers demanded more detail on a lot of parts. As result, Palladium had to increase the part count in order to get the asked for detail.

Now, you can argue that the professionals should have known better and ignored the demands for more detail. That's valid. However, it's the backers themselves that are in large part responsible for the end product.

I can't recall any backers wanting more detail. I guess it's possible, but my recollection is that it was driven by non-gamers and Kevin Siembieda, who still has no clue about miniatures vs models. And that the overwhelming response to the high part count was negative when first proposed.

Yeah, I don't have any proof. But I definitely remember people on the kickstarter forum nitpicking small things such as panel lines. I also remember people freaking out when the first sprues were shown, but by then it was too late. Palladium was already behind schedule and probably over-budget, so there was no way they were going to start over from scratch.

I can't recall any backers wanting more detail. I guess it's possible, but my recollection is that it was driven by non-gamers and Kevin Siembieda, who still has no clue about miniatures vs models. And that the overwhelming response to the high part count was negative when first proposed.

I remember it was sometime when they showed the first render of the vf-1 in F mode (2 years ago maybe). Me and others chimed in wanting certain details done or it wouldn't be a vf-1. Having played many tabletop war games I know what's possible and what's not. So I was surprised when I saw how ridiculous the splits were on the rdf minis.

There's actually someone in the Fan Art section making valks in 1/200 that can be easily scaled to 1/285. I don't think he's done Frontier valks just yet. You might want to ask if he has any plans for it. Look up nismogtrr32. He's got some real nice models at Shapeways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, Robotech's YF-4 is based on the VF-X-4 seen briefly in the show. It has it's own, new transformation and has nothing to do with the VF-4.

To be honest there's alot I just don't like the Macross version's battroid mode. It just seems too bulky and top heavy. I also don't like how the nose cone splits off and the cockpit area just kind of juts out.

Given what I've seen Robotech's YF-4 battloid mode while derivative of the VF-1 just looks more streamlined and better proportioned. All in all not its not that bad of a transformation in its own right.

Nazareno2012, I'm not sure what you mean. The info on that site is not canon to Robotech.

Oops, I am mostly ignorant on Robotech, as I got introduced to Macross through Frontier. What I meant in the first sentence is that the VF-X-4 (and presumably the YF-4) use VF-1 parts, then it would have a similar transformation to the VF-1.

That particular tidbit of info is actually taken directly from descriptions on the VF-X-4 in Macross. I'm not sure it's still retained in Robotech. The likeness to the VF-1's transformation I'd think more has to do with differentiating it from the VF-4 and make it believable as being developed in-between the VF-1 and the Alpha fighter (hence the Alpha-ish head).

Edited by Lorindor