Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

logos

So..did they license the molds that they 3D scanned? And are these snap models, or do they have to be glued?

So are you oblivious to everything or just trying to be a wise arse? These things are fixed pose table top game pieces. Much like Battletech, Warhammer, and other games like it they are made out of plastic or pewter, glued together, and require paint to allow for customization.

I,m conflicted on the lame or not front. I don't want to dump on it completely. The models when built are incredible for the scale. I seriously believe they 3d scanned and perfectly reproduced old 1/72 scale model in 1/285 scale which is incredible, but sweet Jesus it requires tools and patience and a skilled miniature painter to assemble them to look good, so buyers should get this warning with the game.

That makes it sound like GHQ cheated to make these exclusives compared to all the work Ninja Division did for the main set.

A lot of people are confusing a table top war game with a board game. This was designed to be like the war games where you build/paint/customize your armies not f.u.c.k.i.n.g monopoly.

I am a miniatures gamer, the RT valks are models masquerading and miniatures.

• 1 month later...

They are models with slightly less detail than miniatures of the same size and scale that have a high part count with several extremely small parts. Compared to other multi-part wargaming miniatures I have assembled they are the least user friendly miniatures to assemble.

I wish pb would just focus getting wave two out instead of spending backer money on tangents. One of Kevin's friends who was working on the robotech game was let go last week. Just recently Kevin made known that he's had artwork stolen. I don't know if this is from the crisis of treachery and he's just noticing it or this Jeff person took it recently. Don't know or care, but I'd hate for Kevin to use this as an excuse to delay or not deliver wave two.

WAIT - Someone stole artwork from Kevin AGAIN!?!?!? Omg...

A lot of people are confusing a table top war game with a board game. This was designed to be like the war games where you build/paint/customize your armies not f.u.c.k.i.n.g monopoly.

I find this criticism hilarious, as I have a collection of somewhere in the vicinity or 3000 warhammer miniatures, that all had to be assembled. Not to mention the thousands of D&D miniatures that don't require assembly but take a lot of patience to paint.

This is a whole different ballpark my friend. A miniature you have to put the arms and legs on, glue together and paint is one thing. A 35 piece model the size a quarter that requires jewelers skills to assemble, clean flash, and prime and the nerves of a vascular surgeon to paint properly is another.

Their first round miniatures are awesome IMO, but they require a ton of skill and patience to assemble and a lot of skill to paint. Period.

Edited by Ghadrack

I've been slowly working my way through mine. They're enjoyable little builds if you've got the skills Ghadrak mentioned. And they look absolutely brilliant when built & painted with shading. But they're incredibly time-consuming, and you really have to carefully plan an assembly-line approach if you want to have what you need to play the game - even if you don't paint them.

And tiny isn't an exaggeration. I clipped & bagged together all the chin-guns for 28 Regults in prep for mass assembly, and as they're formed with a ball-joint at one end they looked disturbingly like a sample baggie of dead spermatozoa... :blink:

But at their heart, they're slavishly dedicated to detail and accuracy to the Japanese designs. Not perfect, but it's incredible to see the amount of love for the mecha there is in every one of these... at the expense of a total disregard for the sanity of many builders! :p

Can someone share pics of the runners? I'd really like to know how they differ from other miniwargaming miniatures.

[edit:] I found a few pictures online and from what I could gather they really look more like scale model kits than a gaming token.

Edited by Scyla

Here's the latest update. Seems like work on wave two has stalled due to Kevin and staff caring sooooo much about rrt and the backers. Basically there having discussions with the factory to try to minimize the part count on wave two. So there is nothing to show and at this point you can forget EOY 2015 let alone Q1 of 2016.

It seems the only reason there was even an update is because some backers have contacted the BBB and the AG.

Here's the update link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1335688

Here are the letters 3 of the backers have received. There's a few more I believe who are waiting on their reply from BBB.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1500/651554.page#8090790

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/226315.page

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/226314.page

In one of them Kevin uses the backers own posts against him.

PB got in WAY over their heads... like way WAY over their heads, and they've admitted it. This is like when a man tells his wife he's going to do a home improvement project. His wife is like "You color books for a living, you're not a contractor" and he's like "don't worry, I got this, and we'll save a ton of money." Then it takes him a year to do a project that a contractor would have busted out in a weekend and the end result isn't as good as what a contractor would have done.

PB got in WAY over their heads... like way WAY over their heads, and they've admitted it...

That's probably the simplest way to describe it. He didn't know what he was doing, thereby creating an unrealistic goal.

It seems like there's at least two more backers who have contacted the BBB and AG. Personally I could have done without Kevin blaming the backers for whatever failings are associated with rrt. I just feel that if the product was "dam good" as Kevin says then the masses would have bought the game regardless, even if there were a handful of haters denouncing it on the web. It's also disappointing that many folks who just want better communication and the truth good or bad are lumped as haters because of Kevin's fragile ego.

In this case, yes he can blame the backers. People who donate to KS projects should very well know what they are getting into. The issue isn't that he's defrauding his backers, it's that he's not delivering on his deadlines. He got the Wave 1 models out, although much later than intended. He's working on Wave 2 but it looks like he won't be making the proposed deadline for that either. He's making a lot of mistakes without saying "Let me stop where I am and fix the original problem 1st". Because of that 1st mistake, it's created and compounded issues the further he goes. Yes, people have a right to be mad. But clearly he's showing all the backers that he is much more inexperienced than perceived.

While I have not personally funded anything on kickstarter, I have some friends who have, and their experiences were generally mixed trending towards bad. Tiny Dungeon and Exploding Kittens are the only things that I have seen come out of kickstarter that were successful in any way.

I saw these minis and was tempted to get them for playing battletech, but the minis just didn't scale right so...

Am I correct in assuming that this has Harmony Gold's full support? Or will we see this get sued into oblivion?

Am I correct in assuming that this has Harmony Gold's full support? Or will we see this get sued into oblivion?

Palladium has a license from HG to produce merchandise. BUT (yeah there's a "but"), HG hasn't been involved at all. This project is 100% Palladium.

Looks like one backer just received a letter from his states AG. This might get serious.

That letter from the AG's office only acknowledges receipt of the complaint. It's not getting serious.

^ Not correct. HG has been involved by reviewing everything before it was sent to production. And this tedious process has even likely contributed to the delays.

HG approving designs is literally a drop in the delay bucket compared to their other problems. PB didn't know how overseas shipping and Customs works. They didn't communicate with their manufacturer about file compatibility. They didn't communicate with their partner about the models and then threw them under the bus to cover up their incompetence while thanking them at the same time. Then they didn't understand how to run a Kickstarter project.

Like EXO stated earlier, I wonder how much of the $1.5 million they blew just figuring out the whole process of getting Wave 1 out.

I'm pretty sure that the proper way to run a kickstarter is to invest a lot of your own time and money into the development stage of the process, and have a business plan. That's the way you do it to get investors in the real world, business doesn't change just because you have a new source of startup income. You have to have the idea, and the plan in hand, then you take that plan and find out what your operating costs are going to be, then you make adjustments to those costs to figure out what the surplus should be and then you plan a cushion into your budget, then you get current estimates on production costs, and adjust if necessary, and then you go shopping for investors, all the while keeping a handle on how much the end product is going to have to be priced so that you'll be able to cover your operating costs.

Kickstarter isn't a magical fix for business, it actually means you have more people to please than you would if you just found some old-fashioned investors.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

I doubt it will get serious unless they've broken the terms of service and they seem pretty adamant they haven't.

They can be adamant about not breaking the terms of the service, but they have broken at least the portion about not spamming, and it is arguable whether they are making a good faith effort in keeping the backers in the loop.

That letter from the AG's office only acknowledges receipt of the complaint. It's not getting serious.

HG approving designs is literally a drop in the delay bucket compared to their other problems. PB didn't know how overseas shipping and Customs works. They didn't communicate with their manufacturer about file compatibility. They didn't communicate with their partner about the models and then threw them under the bus to cover up their incompetence while thanking them at the same time. Then they didn't understand how to run a Kickstarter project.

Like EXO stated earlier, I wonder how much of the $1.5 million they blew just figuring out the whole process of getting Wave 1 out.

If their further extension of allowing backers to order Gencon exclusives, and continual hawking of them, is any indication, I think they might have blown through a sizable amount of the $1.4 million.

Can someone share pics of the runners? I'd really like to know how they differ from other miniwargaming miniatures.

[edit:] I found a few pictures online and from what I could gather they really look more like scale model kits than a gaming token.

Let me get some pics tonight.

I've posted a few times on this subject, again I'm conflicted I think the models are awesome when complete, because they seem to be fully detailed 1/72 scale models shrunk down to miniature size, but dear god, for an average gamer, they are ridiculously time consuming to assemble. The game should come with a warning that the parts will take approximately 16 hours for a skilled modeler to assemble for the game to be playable.

Edited by Ghadrack

This would have been a greater clusterfrakk if they had just reached the 70k. Because obviously that would have never been enough. 70k is still a lot of money and I think that they would have for sure been unable to deliver considering the inexperience they shown. Even without the stretch goals. It doesn't seem like that was a workable number to begin with, in hindsight. I'm sure other people have mentioned tis fact somewhere else. Just wondering...