State of the fandom

Xeero

Imagine if the creative forces behind Macross Frontier continued to produce new macross series ever other year or so like gundam. Build upon the popularity and make a truly massive property. Instead they are happy with a release per decade and then milking it till there is no life left. It does not look like there is anything new on the horizon. Macross's 30th anniversary resulted in a game? On the collectible side of things yamato is gone and bandai releases seem to be numbered in the hundreds just to throw salt in the wound. The joy of being a macross fan.

I went to Zenkaikon and I was trying to buy anything Macross related (art books, toys, models, etc, etc) and it was very few and between (I saw a VF-1J miniature that the guy wanted $65 USD). The seller even told me that Macross Frontier was basically old and told me good luck. OTAKON in 2011 was a different story; many merchandise was available on the floor..

I didn't know Zenkaikon, but I know Otakon. The latter was introduced by a TV program in Japan.
Mr.Fukuoka, the chief editor of Weekly Ascii Magazine told about it in the morning news show on Tokyo MX TV last year.
From 2:18(Japanese only).
I talked with a Otakon staff in Tokyo International Anime Fair last year. I could not do it again this year because the booth joined in the business day only. They obviously want to have some connection with Japan.
And I heard Otakorp, Inc., which runs Otakon, has a Japanese staff.
Otakon seems to know the Japanese otaku culture so well in comparison with the others, I think.

Hold on a moment here. We seem to have gone from THIS ↓

To THIS ↓

Talking about the state of fandom and the chance of getting official BD releases outside of Japan are two very different things.

I've given my 2 yen on the fandom already but regarding the chance of localised series releases, I'll say this - there is absolutely no chance. It's not any single factor, but a combination. The music rights costs PLUS the HG issue PLUS Big West being unwilling to take the risk PLUS the difference in markets and business models means that it isnt going to happen.

HOWEVER, things like the Macross Plus boxset and the trend of other SF series (Yamato 2199, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Seed, Gundam Age) being released in Japan with English subtitles gives me hope that future Macross series might have English subtitles as well. Sure its not cheap, but the chance to import and legitimately own/support the show will be there in the future (in my opinion at least) as long as one is prepared to put in the same investment that Japanese fans do.

Part of why I was curious to how healthy the fandom was is the two aren't so far removed. Outside of making a new IP you don't get sequels and the like unless there's a healthy fanbase, unless there's people who'll make them money. And I'd be dubious on saying that it'll never happen. I agree it's fairly unlikely at the moment but we've seen higher profile (and surely more expensive to license) anime come over just fine. Heck we got Plus and Macross II over here and Plus wouldn't have been cheap on the music front either.

That said, if we start seeing more subtitles on the original JP releases that'll make for a reasonable consolation prize, though in that event I'd probably stick to showing my support via model kits and games (good god I'd kill for something like Macross 30 to have had an English text option would've been so much more enjoyable to play and it was quite fun), possibly the OVAs, as I find the cost for anime in Japan to be silly, however that is a conversation for another time I'll agree :p

You were talking to the wrong owner. His partner is the one that knows the Macross stuff and they work alternate days. If you were talking Gundam, and especially Sentinel then he would be your guy. I know both of them.

As for their pricing, they charge what they charge to stay in business.

Yeah it was a rather interesting conversation to say the least. Along with claiming Macross was effectively dead and buried on both sides of the pond there was also the claim that Kawamori had done some work on one series that was funded by some religious extremists in Japan and might have fairly close ties to them, etc. (sorry I forget the specifics of what was said at this point as this was a couple months back). It always struck me as odd to hear someone say there's no support what so ever for a series that's got an existing fanbase, etc. that the product never moves and yet at the same time run a shop that's stocking Muv-Luv Total Eclipse models and Kamen Rider Wizard stuff.

Imagine if the creative forces behind Macross Frontier continued to produce new macross series ever other year or so like gundam. Build upon the popularity and make a truly massive property. Instead they are happy with a release per decade and then milking it till there is no life left. It does not look like there is anything new on the horizon. Macross's 30th anniversary resulted in a game? On the collectible side of things yamato is gone and bandai releases seem to be numbered in the hundreds just to throw salt in the wound. The joy of being a macross fan.

Certainly! What if we got brilliant new series that everyone wanted, just like Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam 00, and Gundam Age!!!

What if Macross was based around a thriving industry that all the kids were into and was expanding shelf space in stores nationwide, like plastic model kits!

What if we then tried to placate oldskool fans with a multitude of UC rehashes and sidestories that simultaneously in no way alienated new fans or anyone trying to get into the franchise?

While we are at it, lets forget about things like expanding the universe through things that that fanbase cant possibly have any interest in - who on earth wants new characters, stage musicals, novels, comics, concerts, 1:1 valks or (heaven forbid) video games (shudder) that get the original voice cast in its entirity back together for the first time in 30 years?

Yes, if only Macross was handled more like Gundam!

/sarcasm

Macross is nowhere near the household name that Gundam is. Moreover, its aimed at the very audience that Gundam neglects - teenagers and young adults (whereas Gundam focuses on the two extremes of kids on one end and oldskool UC fans on the other). It doesnt have the money that Gundam has, or the staff. Despite this, Frontier was an amazing hit and brought thousands of new fans into the fold. Fans that enjoyed and supported all the 30th Anniversary initiatives, as well as those leading up to it. Whether it be a well constructed side-story like the Musiculture, cosplaying on the 1:1 valkyrie, marveling at one of several Macross-themed exhibits (something that even Gundam doesnt get all that often), yelling along to Chie Kajiura's reinterpretation of Macross Plus classics, thrilling to Mikimoto's new additions to Macross the First, or blowing up bandits while getting new mecha additions to the Macross universe (YF-30 AND double strike packs on the VF-1S) and hearing the cast reunite - the fanbase had more than enough to keep it busy for the 30th anniversary.

Speaking for myself, heck, I havent even started to think about getting around to other additions like the Maross the Ride or Macross 30 novels either. Too much new stuff and nowhere near enough time.

Not to mention the fact that Big West doesnt consider the 30th anniversary to be over yet. meaning that we have a few months yet within which a new animation could possibly be announced. And even if one wasnt, like many fans my wallet is hurtin plenty enough already from the bluray releases of SDFM, DYRL, M7 and MPlus.

Frontier was popular enough to GUARANTEE further series. Its not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN (a situation that certainly couldnt be said of the franchise in the period following the significantly less successful Macross Zero). And since its only been TWO YEARS since the Wings of Farewell, I think its a little early to be complaining about the lack of new material just yet. personally, I like the fact that they take the time to expand things, whether it be via manga, drama CDs, games or novels. Macross has always been a MULTI-media franchise and this is, in my opinion, why each unique entry into the franchise is so enduring.

And...sigh... again, Yamato has changed but it isnt gone. they have confirmed they are doing Macross stuff as Arcadia, they just havent confirmed what it will be. And since they have just started up the new company and there have been no recent major tradeshows where they could potentially announce stuff, again people are jumping the gun on all the doom and gloom.

Part of why I was curious to how healthy the fandom was is the two aren't so far removed. Outside of making a new IP you don't get sequels and the like unless there's a healthy fanbase, unless there's people who'll make them money..../snip

Not if we are talking about the Japanese fandom, which is the only one I can speak for or have any insight into (in fact, a strong domestic fandom may quite possibly lessen chances of things being released outside of Japan since theres less financial imperative to do so). Frontier was big enough to guarantee to entries in the future. Its just a matter of time. But as I note above, its only been 2 years since the last fully original Macross animation (less than a year if you count FB7, which I wont) - I'd say its rather foolish to claim that the franchise is 'dead.' Anecdotally-speaking, I'd say that Macross has a larger fanbase than at any time in the past 30 years - and this is coming from someone who was in Japan when three different entries into the franchise were released (M2, M0, MF). The problem is (for those living outside of Japan) that the tastes of newer fans is different (figures rather than valks) and that a lot of the stuff being released for the expanded universe doesnt make it out of Japan. Which is a shame, but Big West is doubling down on catering to the current/new fanbase which is what it needs to do to keep it engaged, so I can't say they are wrong. If a new Macross is announced this year ill be thrilled although, given how much stuff is still going on and coming out, it would feel like it was coming almost a little too fast.

Edited by Tochiro

Wow, that's not only an exceedingly negative view, it's also inaccurate. Macross IS a truly massive property. Yes, Gundam is bigger, and yes, so are most animes based on Shonen Jump manga... but in thirty years, we've gotten three TV series, three OVA series, four feature-length movies, and a bunch of one-off OVAs. As well as other stuff like novels, games, manga, and drama albums. Oh, and two different magazines.

Honestly, that's not bad. And I think there is a lot of joy in being a Macross fan (although, admittedly, recently nearly everything has been Tokyo-centric).

I mean, if you think Macross has a bad track record, try being a Mospeada fan. Or a Dorvack fan. Or a Galvion fan. Or a Laserion fan. Or a Xabungle fan. Or a Dougram fan. Or a J9 fan. Or (even) a Votoms fan... (I could go on for a while. I won't.)

Edited by Gubaba

Heh, ultimately that's why I threw all this up. It's interesting to hear feedback on where things stand, and it's heartening to see that while there's some minor difference of opinion on a few things the overall sentiment is the same. It'll be interesting to see what comes out from Arcadia next, and I also hope we'll see Artdink make a few more Macross titles with some improvements now that they've gotten their feet wet on PS3 development. Let alone whatever we see for animation come out next (personally I'd love some stuff to the tune of side stories).

I'm also definitely glad we're not in the same boat as Mospeada, for a variety of reasons :p

Either way, thanks to everyone for humoring me on this. It's been enlightening :)

Wow, that's not only an exceedingly negative view, it's also inaccurate. Macross IS a truly massive property.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=MACROSS, HULA HOOP, MULLET&cmpt=q

Macross, now with less popularity than the mullet or hula hoop!

I think some of you take it personaly when I do not share the warm and fuzzy feeling on the current state of macross. I know I am not the only one who had much higher hopes for Macross 30. Sorry but I cannot help to think of what could have been.

Nobody has not point this out yet?

Everybody should know MF was aired at the early hours. From about 1:30~2 am.

Considering that, the popularity of Macross including MF in Japan was/ is not so bad. Even though the rival animes, Code Geass R2 and Gundam 00, were so strong, MF has been releasing its products.

Both of them were aired in the evening, but not so popular nowadays. Now, nobody is talking about G00, and I wonder where have many Geass fans gone to? Akito is not so popular in comparison with Lelouch.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=MACROSS, HULA HOOP, MULLET&cmpt=q

Macross, now with less popularity than the mullet or hula hoop!

I think some of you take it personaly when I do not share the warm and fuzzy feeling on the current state of macross. I know I am not the only one who had much higher hopes for Macross 30. Sorry but I cannot help to think of what could have been.

I'm not taking it personally, I just think you're wrong. :)

Annually would likely dilute the franchise if all they did was follow the old formula. Annual OVA series with stories about the Macross universe are doable and possible, but just like Hollywood, BW isn't prepared to let anyone other than Kawamori write these stories. Now Kawamori is a talented man, but he is not interested in only doing Macross, he has other stories he wants to tell. Has other ambitions he wants to explore.

Until a new generation of trusted story tellers are anointed, Macross may ultimately die with Kawamori one day...

Nobody has not point this out yet?

Everybody should know MF was aired at the early hours. From about 1:30~2 am.

Considering that, the popularity of Macross including MF in Japan was/ is not so bad. Even though the rival animes, Code Geass R2 and Gundam 00, were so strong, MF has been releasing its products.

Both of them were aired in the evening, but not so popular nowadays. Now, nobody is talking about G00, and I wonder where have many Geass fans gone to? Akito is not so popular in comparison with Lelouch.

I haven't even started watching Akito. I probably should :/