Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, a standalone game chock full of 80's awesomeness. Starring Michael Biehn as "Sergeant Rex Power Colt"

TAKE MY 15 BUCKS NOW! (Comes out April 29th for PS3, May 1st for PC and 360)

Reveal Trailer

First 15 minutes by IGN (SPOILERS! But totally awesome!)

Edited by azrael

I was wondering when word of this would hit MW :)

Not sure I'll get this. It's clearly made with love, but pandering to all my loves has been done before again and again and again....and yeah, I'll wait for reviews. However, i am buying Far Cry 3 soon :)

A quick look and a positive review from Giant Bomb. There's some good stuff in here.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Review (with Quick Look embedding at the top)
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-review/1900-576/

Definitely feeling good about this game now. Odds are good I'll grab this :)

Edited by Mr March

MCANGUSCOVER_zpsc06093e8.png

With Far Cry: Blood Dragon being released today, it reminded me of how great it is to throw old shows and concepts together and make something competely new and exciting. I've always loved old anime and video games, so I combined the two.

Using my creativite brain inside me, this is what to me, a nostalgic anime game would look like conceptually, hopefully one day it will happen. All of these graphics come from my most favorite shows. I will happily name all of the pics if someone needs help identifying them.

So I purchased Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and gave it a spin. The engine and interface are familiar to the original FC3, but everything else has changed dramatically. The gameplay has elements of FC3 but is also quite different and to say the game design is unique is understating. The game is unapologetically reverential to 80's action movies and 80's science fiction. Amusingly, the game even utilizes cutscenes in low resolution 2D animation that one would expect to see in a 16-bit era video game. The voice acting, music and sound effects are all 1980's trademarks, right down to Terminator and Aliens actor Michael Biehn starring as the absurdly named "cyber-commando" Rex Power Colt, the hero of the story. Narratively, Blood Dragon isn't going to impress anyone, but the gameplay is thoroughly enjoyable and the style is pure 1980's love. The game abounds with callbacks to sci-fi/action films of the 1980s both well-known (a helicopter mini-gun sequence featuring Little Richard's Long Tall Sally ala Predator) and little-known (lead Rex has a character design reminiscent of something out of Metalstorm). There is even a reference to the old U.S. government anti-drug propaganda from the 1980's, "Winners don't do drugs". It is a great laugh. The game play is engaging, the setting is entertaining and the cheesy over-the-top story/characters are hilarious. Blood Dragon isn't destined to be one of my favorite games nor will it win any awards, but it is a great deal of fun and a real treat for anyone nostalgic about the eighties. At $15 on Steam, this game is a real bargin.

On a personal note I have to say this to many Macross World members; if you are not playing Blood Dragon, you are missing a game that features everything you complain is lacking in "shitty modern games" played by all those "dumb kids these days". Blood Dragon is marketed DIRECTLY at the 30-40 something gamer lamenting his good old-days of the 1980's. Someone heard your bitching and actually paid it the attention it doesn't deserve, LOL! This is YOUR game. There is no excuse for any of you (and you know who you are) to be missing it.

From the walkthrough, this looks '80s-cheesy .... done right. Nostalgia is a helluva drug. :lol: I might actually download it from my barely-used Steam account.

There is a mission early on that is a direct homage to the 1986 classic Aliens. So awesome.

Rex even says "This seems familiar somehow" :D I beat the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. My biggest gripe would be that you can't reset the garrisons after you conquer all of them. You would think after FC3 added a patch to do it BD would have it already in the options, maybe it will get implemented in a patch down the line.