Godzilla-WB/Legendary production, on DVD/Blu-ray Sept. 16, 2014

Just saw it tonight. The acting was OK, still far better than the 1998 version and most Toho films. There was plenty of Godzilla action to see and I hope to see more in a sequel soon! It did not disappoint this old time Godzilla fan!! I recommend seeing it on the largest screen you can find.

saw it on imax. worth it.

Now THAT's how you make a Godzilla toy. SH Monsterarts Godzilla 2014

https://www.facebook.com/Tamashii.USA

Ah crap, I've been waiting for this to get an official announcement and photo. This is the G2014 figure I want, not any of those crappy big NECA versions with no real detail or articulation, suffice to say I'm ordering two, one for my girlfriend too since she ended up absolutely loving the new movie, which was her first Godzilla film, and like my 31st, it was a fun experience.

Now THAT's how you make a Godzilla toy. SH Monsterarts Godzilla 2014

https://www.facebook.com/Tamashii.USA

Oh my god I want it so much... But I'd still like an old fashioned, barely articulated, giant blow molded vinyl godzilla.

Anyways, Just got back from seeing it. It was awesome, and badass and everything I wanted it to be.

Saw it, enjoyed it. It should go without saying that this was better than the last American version and yes better than the 5 hours too long Peter Jackson King Kong.

I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that;

there really wasn't enough Godzilla action, and at least two times during the movie it was cut. The first in Honolulu when they showed the clip on the news and again in San Francisco when the folks were running into the subway or whatever.

Besides that minor to major gripe I thought it was awesome and I'll be checking it out again in theaters for sure.

-b.

I saw it today and really enjoyed it.

I loved how Godzilla was just swimming along the Navy destroyers on his way to SF. The atomic breath kill was awesome. I liked the very last scene as he walks off back into the sea and roars. Like he's saying "I'm done kicking 2 monster asses, I'm outta here b****es. You guys deal with the clean up."

Saw it. Loved it. Hated the ending, though. it was too...

Cheery for me (made me wonder if Godzilla worshipping cults would started appearing in Cally post screen events), considering how many people Godzilla drowed/crushed with the Honolulu floods alone!!!)

does anyone besides me wish the next G-movie includes Red Ronin & those 3 space monsters from Marvel's 1970's comics?

Saw it, enjoyed it. It should go without saying that this was better than the last American version and yes better than the 5 hours too long Peter Jackson King Kong.

I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that;

there really wasn't enough Godzilla action, and at least two times during the movie it was cut. The first in Honolulu when they showed the clip on the news and again in San Francisco when the folks were running into the subway or whatever.

Besides that minor to major gripe I thought it was awesome and I'll be checking it out again in theaters for sure.

-b.

i actually thought those brief snippets of monster footage (shown through windows, doorways, reflections, TV broadcasts and TVs/monitors s in the background) were pretty nifty. along with planes falling out of nowhere, submarines on trees, and trails of destruction without any monster in-frame, these shots built up the curiosity, suspense, and tension. for me at least, those teaser shots contributed to my sense of awe when the full-on reveal/s finally came. imax probably had a hand in it too, but that's beside the point.

true, the monster fight scenes weren't that long, but i thought they were sufficient. they were long enough to show the tide of battle turn at least a couple of times, and a handful of monster attack moves and variations

heck, they even devoted screen time to G's power up for his breath attack, which i'm very thankful for

were they to extend the fight scenes, i have to wonder what they would show. a couple more minutes of monsters shoving/grappling each other wouldn't add much, and i don't want to see piledrivers, clothesline, and leg drop moves as that would be too comical.

having said that, i thought there were some scenes which could have benefited from another minute or so of monster footage

- brief shot of flying MUTO taking out a plane. but only much later after the planes falling out of the sky scene

- flying MUTO POV weaving between buildings for a sneak charge attack, camera zooming in on G turning to look but too late. next scene, G falling and leveling a whole block

- a special attack by either of the MUTOs. the flying MUTO attempting to lift G was pretty cool though.

- the finishing blows came a bit too abruptly. in the case of the flying MUTO, it was just a brief scuffle coming from quite a long non-monster scene, and next thing you know G is whipping his tail for the kill. they could've taken some of the earlier monster fight screen time showing G getting the short end of the stick, and moved it to here so that it was a longer continuous scene culminating in that crafty suckerpunch. another lash of the tail for good measure, and in the process collapsing the building, would've also shown that the MUTOs were tough buggers to kill

- with the final MUTO, they could've shown G not immediately grabbing the jaws of the MUTO. instead, G grabs the MUTO from behind attempting to dismember it, MUTO bites G, they scuffle while MUTO continues to clamp, causing G to change tactics and instead try to pry himself out of the bite, and when he manages to and while still holding the jaws apart, it would then seem more natural for G to then think "hey why don't i spit down this bitch's throat?". while i thought the movie showed a really awesome and very satisfying deathblow, i just thought that it was too premeditated for G's primal nature.

but all is forgiven because the finishing move was pure awesome B))

^See the suspension and a lot of what happened off screen were fine, and I agree with your points but for me it was about the movie starting to show a fight with G and then cutting to something completely different.

It was like watching a (American) Football game on TV and just as a touchdown is being scored they cut to the commentators AND never go back to the scoring play.

And yeah, that finishing move was pure awesome. After G was done it was like he "dropped the mic" and walked off stage.

-b.

if you put it that way (ie. touchdown), i see your point. in the subway scene you mentioned, i do distinctly recall myself thinking "oh, no, no, no, you're not going to cut away again, are you?"

but i guess i just happen to be a masochist for foreplay :p

After G was done it was like he "dropped the mic" and walked off stage.

lol! so true. loved that.

It was great!, I went with the wife and a coworker and we were just grinned the whole time.

When the female MUTO looked like she was about to snuff out Malcolm (whatever the guy's name was... Heisenberg's kid), and then was suddenly lit by that blue glow, my coworker, a grown man, started giggling with glee like a 10-year old boy.

Spectacular!!!

Awesome. I actually teared up with the first roar. And then again at the end. I had a huge smile on my face through a good chunk of the movie. Sure, most of the human characters are forgettable and inconsequential (not surprisingly, Ken Watanabe is the best of the bunch, and he doesn't waste his screen time), but we aren't there to see them. I cheered and laughed and really enjoyed it. Miles better than Pacific Rim.

It was great!, I went with the wife and a coworker and we were just grinned the whole time.

When the female MUTO looked like she was about to snuff out Malcolm (whatever the guy's name was... Heisenberg's kid), and then was suddenly lit by that blue glow, my coworker, a grown man, started giggling with glee like a 10-year old boy.

Spectacular!!!

That was totally me several times in the movie.

if you put it that way (ie. touchdown), i see your point. in the subway scene you mentioned, i do distinctly recall myself thinking "oh, no, no, no, you're not going to cut away again, are you?"

but i guess i just happen to be a masochist for foreplay :p

But the ladies appreciate you.

Me, a friend and his son's went and saw it yesterday. We all really liked it. My main disappointment was ( and this just may have been the theaters issue not the movie) when Godzilla roared I wanted it to be so load I would be blown away/jarred by it, but it was really any loader than anything else. :(

Also, my friend noticed a Easter egg type thing in the movie.

When they revisit the home, in the boys room there is a terrarium with a large cocoon in it and on the glass is written Mothra! Possible set up for a sequel?

Chris

I will have to say that it's in the top 5 of Godzilla films of all time for sure.

I was a little frustrated when they would actually pan away from the Kaiju fights to show the humans struggles... but overall everything was well executed.

I really loved it when

Godzilla ripped off the muto's head and atomically sh1t down it's neck! I was cheering in the theater at that.

My only minor complaints are that the first half of the film was a little slow... but I understand they had to build tension, and that his Atomic breath had no noise. It was too fantasy flame and not enough Sci-fi blaze.

It also struck me how amazingly similar in plot it was to many of the Heisei era films, but with a much MUCH larger budget. You had the human relation points, the crazy science plot, and the bad guy Kaiju, plus the bio-science slant with the Muto's.

Overall it was a refreshing and fun reboot. I hope they make many many more.

I enjoy the design of Goji a lot more in the movie itself, though the eyes were too human for my liking. I really hope X-plus makes a good 30cm of him.

Edited by Gakken85

Saw it again in IMAX and picked up an Easter Egg that I didn't notice during the first viewing.

But overall I thought

post-357-0-42651800-1400391301_thumb.gif

And I almost cheered aloud at the end of the final battle (then I almost LOL'ed at my own silly joke). I also hope that they're able to make at least 1 or 2 more good sequels.

-b.

I don't know. To me, it's as if the movie would've been more appropriately titled: MUTOS, a Navy Story, or MUTOS, a Navy Story and with time permitting, a special guest appearance by Godzilla...

I don't know. To me, it's as if the movie would've been more appropriately titled: MUTOS, a Navy Story, or MUTOS, a Navy Story and with time permitting, a special guest appearance by Godzilla...

They took the Jaws/Alien approach--it's the slow burn. The problem is Aaron Taylor-Johnson can't carry the film through it's second act. He has zero charisma and shows no emotion. Where Roy Scheider's Brody shines in Jaws, Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Brody fails in Godzilla, and it's glaringly obvious. Still, the slow burn pays off in spades in the third act.

Edited by Duke Togo

Remember when Godzilla was remembered for the kaiju cast and not silly human blabbering? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I take it you've never seen the original.

Edited by Duke Togo