Mr. Max Sterling

infosys_ms

From my blog
post-15512-0-73225500-1365879436_thumb.jpg

Here we have Max Sterling based on an your standard issue naval aviator. Max's color scheme from the cartoon was applied to the pilot suit. The flight gear was cleaned up a bit but I left the flight jacket on for a more functional rather than the stylish look. Don't get me wrong, the cartoon costumes were baller.

post-15512-0-34368400-1365879518_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to try and rock that collar tho. The helmet and breather are touched up a bit with cartoon details. I always assumed the visors in the cartoon were designed to show the mouth moving in the animation but they always looked unwieldy to me. I will use a standard looking visor and breather. I may try to make a full visor in the future but I'm afraid it might look the helmets in "Stealth". If I have to pick a look, I like the breather on.

post-15512-0-93922700-1365879467_thumb.jpg

The cockpit is not as cramped as most fighter jets. I did that to get some nice shots of the pilot working the controls. Everything is with in arms reach and pretty functional looking. I will have interior shots once I light up the buttons and design some control panels.

Does anyone now if Max had a call sign? I'd like a to get a call sign on the side of the plane. Something like "LT. Max "Sterling" Jenius might be good. It keeps a foot in Robotech and Macross.

Stand by for grewalk mode!

Edited by infosys_ms

Given that the pilot seat needs to be able to pivot 90 degrees backward and accommodate some pretty extensive mobility when it's in Battroid mode and the arms and legs act more like waldo controls, the cockpit really couldn't be as tight as most modern strap-on-my-zoom-suit jets. I do think you should keep the original helmet design, even if it's just the closed form rather than using anime magic to make the mouth-covering lower frame appear and disappear. That may have just been a DYRL thing, but I think they did it in SDFM TV as well...

As for call signs, I only remember them using "Max" or "Skull (whichever)" over the radio. I've seen fanfic where he gets called "Expert," but that's about it.

Edited by dialNforNinja