Saw it. Thoroughly enjoyed it and, 'politically speaking' quite satisfied with seeing a "99%" get the drop on a "1%" that is smug and insulated beyond usefulness.

Another 'District 9'-like social commentary, reflective upon human politics and society in a overcrowded world. Classic national boundaries/values are blurred; one has to get over who is portrayed as haves/have-nots and their own, personal 'team' biases to just accept this as extension of what is news headlines today...like it or not. No 'Prawns' here to subtly dilute class/caste perceptions.

I've seen some of the same, ignorant and overly 'self-important' critical comments on other websites, that people made back when "V for Vendetta" came out. Some were outraged or insulted that 'America' was being portrayed as a nationalist, insular police state--when an alternative, Neo-'Thatcher'-ian Britain was the setting. But enough political allegory.

Inspired: Yes. Novel: no, not really...no profound or innovative concepts/perspectives to convey the story, like 'Inception'. However, excellent use of the Syd Mead-type design aesthetic and its reliable portrayal of a visceral, functional world based off the contemporary paradigm of global resource politics and power. Achieves a seemless 'suspension of disbelief'.

Blomkamp's personal politics are again present here with his indictment of SA history--'Merc', self-actualizing police state & resource hegemony culture as the parasitic crab louse that clings to and perpetuates itself anywhere human class/caste-ism can commoditize itself.

1st half of film is quite gripping, but the second half seems rushed. While they may have wanted to portray a profligate application of technology resources, over indulgence in high tech weapons & accessories in the absence of a traditonal antagonist state, they merely achieve a shoot 'em up to me.

The exoskeletons fall a little short; as their amp'd power is believable, but the associated stresses on human flesh & bone beneath leave me doubting all that was attempted with the minimalist suits provided. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention.

Overall, the visuals and design elements of near future are the WIN/WIN for me.

I DO like that M. Damon, while a social crusader and vocal activist in his personal life, was content to portray a blue collar 'everyman' who fought to achieve an everyman, yet enlightened/egalitarian goal within that world. Not become a lone, 'larger than life' hero who gets the girl and the 'prize', while rattling off snarky one-liners as he confronts his enemies, in the manner of say Kevin Costner in his prime or Will Smith's usual characters.

I'd give it 7.7 out of 10.

One last thing that nagged me about the movie and I understand its effect on me now.

There were not too many characters to like deeply in this film; their developement and investment as personalities was so-so. M. Damon is one, but even then, I wonder if Eminem would have carried it better, as originally planned. The Armadyne CEO was a likeable-hateable tool that I'd like to have known more about and Jodie Foster as 'Christine Lagarde/Ayn Rand' so-so needed a bit more history such that her story arc could 'weigh' more.

Thinking about now, as I've had a U.C. Gundam itch that is irresistable to scratch, I realize that all that Syd Mead eye-candy was somewhat wasted on that 5-spoke wagon wheel Elysium. Its actually begging for a universal Century colonial setting and characters for a U.C. Gundam, big screen treatment--brokered between N. Blomkamp & J. Cameron, in conjunction with a Japanese production and writing team to keep it on track.

Gundam character pantheon could truly flesh out a big screen epic without being merely a forgettable CGI-fest for the bonfire.

Did you see District 9? How would you compare it to that film? I was thinking of giving this one a shot this weekend...

Yep, a few times and I enjoyed District 9. I wouldn't compare it to District 9 except in the fact it was a SyFy movie. I can't really say bad acting or bad plot or bad anything, I just found my self bored. Maybe I was so hyped I expected more.

Saw Elysium and loved it. The story is compelling and Damon delivers a great mix of roguishness turned desperation. His character starts as a snarky ex-con that is laboring under an unfair system but all his humor is at once washed away and turned into fierce determination in the face of adversity. It's a full performance given full reign by the script. Jodie Foster's character is more thinly drawn but she's clearly having fun with the material and she's magnetic in every scene. The supporting cast is also particularly strong with heartfelt performances from Deigo Luna and Alice Braga. I also loved seeing Faran Tahir as President Patel...can we just cast this guy in everything from now on, please? And my gawd, Sharlto Copley looks like a beast in this film! The guy was clearly at the gym building mountains of muscle and did it ever pay off because this vicious mercenary is an horrifying monster as far from his character in District 9 as you can get without losing his sharp South African accent.

The action is kinetic, crazy and tense. There are sequences in the film which again display Blomkamp's interest in the ballet of cinematic violence and his adoration for technology. One of the first action sequences involves air burst explosive rounds fired upon a robot shown with visually impactive shots that are in many ways reminiscent of the car bomb sequence in Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker. Like District 9 there are several sci-fi guns shown in the film and just like Blomkamp earlier film the effects of these firearms are shown with gruesome effect. There are several WTF moments I'd never seen before where my mouth was agape at the action in front of me. The Chemrail gun sequence was also plenty of fun.

The world building director Neill Blomkamp displays here is again phenomenal and his fetish for technology and ballistics is in fine form throughout. We all wondered what Blomkamp on $100 million would look like and the answer is stunning. The exo-suits are expertly realized both via special effects and the wearble props for the actors. The weapons are amazing and we are given both old and new hardware to admire. The mechanical design of the aerospace craft are also impressive and Elysium itself is wonderfully realized. As a sci-fi geek I was thrilled when the habitat was shown as open to the vacuum, using retaining walls and gravity to maintain the atmosphere. While some have compared the science fiction technology of Elysium to colonies we've seen in anime, the design and function of the station is far more influenced by Larry Niven's Ringworld, or perhaps more accurately described like the "Orbitals" of Ian M. Banks which in means the Rings found in "Halo" which were inspired by Banks writing. The robots are also vividly realized using a distinct mechanical design both functional and stylistic.

Some criticism I level against the overt social commentary and the characters, especially in the latter half of the film. Several key characters are defined more by what they represent (wealth without conscience, the pursuit of greed, econmic cannibalism, etc) rather than having personalities and motivations that are more "human". The character arcs ultimately work because they are thematically fullfilling in the context of the story and serve the political/social messages of the film. But depending your leaning with respect to the larger issues being explored here will color how you respond to some of the characters. Even though I loved the film, mentions of "homeland security" and drone survellience were a bit too on the nose and felt heavy.

I give Elysium 4 out of 5 A great sci-fi action drama the retreads some familiar ground for Blompkamp fans but succeeds in thrilling and promoting some thought.

Saw the movie, 2.5 stars....If a movie is really good I can suspend disbelief and just enjoy it....this one made me ask....."If Elysium wanted to keep the riff raff out....why not just share your technology...at least the tech that seemed to make "the illegals" want to come "break into your homes" to get????

And Space travel has become so cheap that the dregs of society can afford it?

I can go on.....

Barely good for a movie rental......if nothing else is available

Saw the movie, 2.5 stars....If a movie is really good I can suspend disbelief and just enjoy it....this one made me ask....."If Elysium wanted to keep the riff raff out....why not just share your technology...at least the tech that seemed to make "the illegals" want to come "break into your homes" to get????

And Space travel has become so cheap that the dregs of society can afford it?

I can go on.....

Barely good for a movie rental......if nothing else is available

Here are my questions too

The reason why they didn't share that medic bay tech was because their issue with over populations, but now that earth has it, the over population will multiply by 10X @_@;;

My other question would be, how could they let Robots harm humans?!! it's one of the 3 rules from i,robot, unless its being setup for Skynet to take over and then it becomes the Matrix

Here are my questions too

The reason why they didn't share that medic bay tech was because their issue with over populations, but now that earth has it, the over population will multiply by 10X @_@;;

My other question would be, how could they let Robots harm humans?!! it's one of the 3 rules from i,robot, unless its being setup for Skynet to take over and then it becomes the Matrix

But that would not be Elysium's problem.....let the "Earth" have the tech and do with it what they want.....it would just be something that would alleviate the need for the "poor" to want to come to Elysium....

Again, if I enjoyed the film I would not question the logic.....

For example, I like Macross, therefore, I do not question the logic of UN SPACY developing humanoid VF's to battle, what surely would have been, billions of alien hostiles plus their weaponry and ships

if they ever arrived on earth looking for their "lost" vessel...

I enjoyed the eye candy and creative weapons and mechanical designs, but the story seemed to have a lot of plot holes and the supporting characters seemed more like exaggerated caricatures of what they represented. The social commentary could have been more thought-provoking, but Blomkamp himself even admitted it was intended as more of a setting than a message. Worth seeing, in my opinion, but I'd go in expecting the type of shallow special-effects fest that many initially wrote Pacific Rim off as.

Just got back from seeing it, really enjoyed it. The social commentary of the film was great, there were plenty of laughs but the one thing that really blew me away were the special effects. The designs were outstanding and the effects themselves were VERY photo-realistic. Lets hope the days of obvious CGI are disappearing.....

Saw it last night. It was beautifully made, but I really wanted a bit more - I would have liked to see how society functioned on Elysium, and maybe see the AMP suits used to a bit better effect. Kruger was awesome though! The real hero of the movie, however is Spider, and if you watch it, thinking about this, you realise that Max is really just a smaller player, who managed to make his life being to mean something. I really enjoyed bureacracy gone mad - Max's parole officer was horrifically exactly what you'd expect. Some wonderful vehicle design as well - loved the Bugatti shuttle.

Edited by PetarB

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it yesterday and was far too entertained to care about the plot holes. The movie never lets you down with suspense or awesome designs. I've been waiting for this kind of movie since reading "Neuromancer" in the 80s, I really hope the studios realize that there is a demand for SF beyond the comic book superhero stuff.

Copley as Kruger really steals the show with his portrayal of a sick guy you really don't want to run into. His personal coup d'état was a well-timed surprise.

I liked how, besides the very obvious, the social commentary was played in the subtext - the terror of bureaucracy, accountants in the MOD, remote-control killings, "don't breathe on me".

Feast your eyes on some of the movie's designs:

http://www.artofben.com/ELYSIUM

http://skul4aface.blogspot.co.nz/

Oh and don't forget to purchase your state-of-the-art Chemrail gun while supplies last:

http://www.wetanz.com/tst-chemrail-dual-stage-linear-motor-rifle-prop-replica/

I am surprised to see so many people here loved this movie. I thought it was very flat.

Hardly anything in the movie didn't stretch credulity to the breaking point.

The "social commentary" was ham-fisted and simplistic to the point of thoughtlessness.

The characters were uninteresting and uninspiring.

In two week's time I'll forget I even saw it.

Special effects were pretty good though, I'll give it that.

Saw it and absolutely loved it. Pure sci-fi goodness and amazing designs. The only annoyance was the shaky camera syndrome, at times it made me feel slightly nauseous.

Edited by Bri

Got back from seeing this and while I enjoyed myself, I'm also a bit dissappointed. The visuals are astounding and I love the influence of the Ringworld novels on the design of the Elysium itself. But I just thought that the message the film was trying to convey lacked any sort of subtlety. It's so black and white; the rich are these nasty diabolical bast*rds and the poor are so terribly off that they cannot even afford to have a bath and walk around covered in dust and grime. I wish Hollywood could just manage to make more balanced, nuanced characters. Not only are they more compelling, but they also make a story with social commentary more believable and realistic.

Edited by Marzan

That may be so, but unlike many other SF movies, this one tried to convey a social and political message. Films like for example Pacific Rim do not and hence I don't expect any kind of subtlety from them at all.

I went out to see this movie Saturday night. Overall, I enjoyed it for what it was and I loved the international dystopia that was created---an overpopulation with mixed common languages similar to Blade Runner. However, I also feel it could have been so much more and I completely understand the criticisms that are being leveled at the antagonists, Kruger and Delacourt. They were over the top caricatures. For me, especially, after watching how well Max and Frey were characterized as good but imperfect people with a shared goal, I think the writers failed at giving the audience a similar balance and connection to the Elysians (?). Other Sci Fi and SF epics have done well at bridging that gap and letting the audience make its own decision on who to root for. It isn't bad that the movie comes off preachy and less intelligent, although I was expecting something different.

Also, even with all that said, I was moved by the final scenes. So I would recommend this movie based on Max and Frey's relationship alone. I think that core story of their friendship makes it all worthwhile.

That may be so, but unlike many other SF movies, this one tried to convey a social and political message. Films like for example Pacific Rim do not and hence I don't expect any kind of subtlety from them at all.

I thinks it's Blomkamp's personal experience that there are places on this earth that defy all subtlety. Without the juxtaposition of these places, the over-the-top gated community and the not-so-over-the-top latino ghetto, the film would have been just another action flick. A feeling of uneasiness comes from the realization that the SF gloss over is actually quite thin, that, in many aspects, the world of Elysium is closer than we might want.

And compared to "District 9" the level of filth is dialed down a few notches. The L.A. of Elysium is not a bad place to live (it still has some form of law enforcement, working opportunities and hospitals) compared to what you see in real world based movies like "Cidade de Deus" or "Gomorra", where civilization has deteriorated completely.

So did Avatar, and it was horrible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got this from Netflix today. To be blunt, it's heavy-handed and nonsensical. I'm fully capable of suspending disbelief, but nearly every single major set piece had some sequence that left me scratching my head. And in case you missed Avatar, Elysium reiterates that all people of wealth are bad, and certainly won't lift a finger to help anyone but themselves (even when the means to heal the world are at their disposal and fully automated).

What a disappointingly huge step backward from District 9.

And in case you missed Avatar, Elysium reiterates that all people of wealth are bad, and certainly won't lift a finger to help anyone but themselves (even when the means to heal the world are at their disposal and fully automated)..

Your point being?? More people need to be hit over the head with this fact than you could ever believe, especially a lot of the dumb as dog shiit kids I teach. They spend most of their lives being indoctrinated in the other direction and you are going to whine about a film that tells it like it is? Believe me when I say that a more subtle message would be lost on a lot of the under 25's today.

Your point being?? More people need to be hit over the head with this fact than you could ever believe, especially a lot of the dumb as dog shiit kids I teach. They spend most of their lives being indoctrinated in the other direction and you are going to whine about a film that tells it like it is? Believe me when I say that a more subtle message would be lost on a lot of the under 25's today.

There is nothing factual about the wealthy being innately bad or selfish.

Think of it more of "class-ism" vs the wealthy being innately horrible people. It's a fact that those in power (whoever they may, in whatever society we want to examine, especially modern-day) will do whatever it takes to stay in power. This doesn't mean those with wealth, but those in power and there is a difference.

I enjoyed the movie for nothing else than having some really amazing visuals and for the attempt to bring something fresh to the screen but I tried very hard not to read between the lines, just another 100 or so minutes of escapism.

-b.

Classism in all forms is bad, and it's use in the film is unintelligent, unoriginal, and does little more than pander to those who seek that sort of conflict.

The stereotypes portrayed here are no more accurate than the generalization that all otaku are enamored with sexualized pre-pubescent cartoon characters.

Classism in all forms is bad, and it's use in the film is unintelligent, unoriginal, and does little more than pander to those who seek that sort of conflict.

The stereotypes portrayed here are no more accurate than the generalization that all otaku are enamored with sexualized pre-pubescent cartoon characters.

Re: pandering, I suppose.

I'm not saying that class or any ism is good, just that this movie lent itself more to a class divide vs. a wealth divide - I got the impression that the smuggler guy on Earth had money in order to support his criminal enterprise, but he was considered a lower class, maybe just because he lives on Earth and not on Elysium.

Don't want to get into a debate on stereotypes, but the fact remains that history shows that (some) "haves" tend to play keep away from the "have-nots" and by virtue of the subject matter really does hammer that point.

I mean hell, what better reminder to say you're not "as good as" then the fact that the "better class" no longer lives on Earth and that you have to look up into the sky to even see them.

-b.

I live in a middle class area and have a middle class background, but I work in an area that is at a *very low* socio-economic level. I work with an increasing level of students with refugee backgrounds from Africa, Asia and Europe. I don't want to say too much more because the mods are going to lose it because we are going all political here but, trust me, I know what I am talking about when I say a large proportion of the upper class in my *city*, let alone country, couldn't give a stuff about the students I teach. In fact, the prejudice against refugees and lower socio-economic classes here goes all the way up to the current serving right-wing Prime Minister.