preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That

doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means

they can. When unlucky Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on

a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but

could bring equality to these polarized worlds."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8FD5bviZ_Y

Elysium @IMDb

Welcome to Elysium

The setting kinda reminds me of a reverse UC gundam except the rich elite are on the colonies, and the poor are on earth.

Still... with technology that advanced to build a space station that big with a fully enclosed enviroment, and can apparently cure cancer via body scan, what's keeping people from colonizing Mars for example? Truth is when I saw the "from the creator of District 9" my eyes kinda rolled and I thought here it comes another South Africa apartied allegory.

To say the fictional world in this trailer is the most completely imagined and realized sci-fi I've seen on film in years is an understatement. Wow! Now I no longer have to wonder what Blomkamp would do with a big film budget :)

That said, the trailer was a little more generic than I would have prefered but did hit all the necessary notes. Mecha, battles, social commentary, class warfare, space, good acting, great casting, awesome effects, et cetera. I'll definitely be there opening night for Elysium.

The trailer looks like a mix of Battle Angel Alita verse with some stupid occupy wallstreet twist, given Blomkamps heavy handed preachiness in D9 (and I still like D9), and Damons recent politcal BS I'm not surprised.

The setting kinda reminds me of a reverse UC gundam except the rich elite are on the colonies, and the poor are on earth.

Still... with technology that advanced to build a space station that big with a fully enclosed enviroment, and can apparently cure cancer via body scan, what's keeping people from colonizing Mars for example? Truth is when I saw the "from the creator of District 9" my eyes kinda rolled and I thought here it comes another South Africa apartied allegory.

You didn't like the best sci-fi movie since Blade Runner? Pity.

You mean Children of Men?

I'm not saying District nine was a better movie than Children of Men because it wasn't, but children of men wasn't that great either.

:edit:

but anyways, staying on topic: trailer was kind of meh, it looked sort of interesting but I think the whole premise was cooler when it was Gundam.

Edited by anime52k8

I'm not saying District nine was a better movie than Children of Men because it wasn't, but children of men wasn't that great either.

:edit:

but anyways, staying on topic: trailer was kind of meh, it looked sort of interesting but I think the whole premise was cooler when it was Gundam.

*chuckle*

You guys are are sretching it a bit with Gundam. Gunnm/Alita this story almost exactly.

I liked it, it was a good movie, but there are plenty of sci-fi films I'd rate higher from the last 30 years.

Plenty? I just went through the list of films, and there are maybe 5 that are even in the conversation. I'm suspect of your assertion of plenty.

Haters gonna hate. I guess you prefer the stellar performance in Prometheus and Transformers?

And so what if its similar to BAA or Gunnm or Children of Men. It looks good. This one will be seen in the theater

Huh? It looks nothing like Children of Men. And I have no idea what you mean by Prometheus and Transformers.

I have no idea how this film is going to turn out, but the trailer doesn't do it any favors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/ how very original, their story.Never heard of it before....*cough* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnm :ph34r:

i dunno. a bald Matt daemon does seem 'Die Hard' enough, really...

Edited by TehPW

I'm not familiar with Gunnm, but the trailer definitely smacked of Battle Angel Alita. Somewhere out there, James Cameron is sneering.

i actually had him sign a copy of one of the Last Order GN's i had on hand with me when he and his onterage visited the Ike during our 2009 deploment. He looked quite surprised and did express a desire to do a Gunnm film but he admited that Avatar would sideline it in the interm. its been 4 years, is he still Fing around with Avatar II?