Animazement 2013

I live in Raleigh. Like a mile from the convention center. haha. Exciting!

I've never gone to animazement. I always thought I would feel very out of place with all the kids running around. But oh well.

I'm going to get him to sign this DYRL movie program:

http://www.robotechresearch.com/reference/biblography/Macross/dyrl_movie_guide/dyrl_movie_front.jpg

I think that would be a great piece.

Edited by Gakken85

I had already planned on attending (wanted to go to a big con this year and this one best fit my schedule), so this news is completely awesome. I picked up an Orguss poster and a Megazone 23 poster last year that I want to see if I can get signed.

Edited by JELEINEN

I live in Raleigh. Like a mile from the convention center. haha. Exciting!

I've never gone to animazement. I always thought I would feel very out of place with all the kids running around. But oh well.

I'm going to get him to sign this DYRL movie program:

Lucky!

Guest autograph signing in the US varies from con to con, but last time I met him in 1999 he was doing rapid fire beautiful Minmay pictures with marker and signing them (and no requests for other stuff).... but I am not sure if they were allowing other things to get signed instead of the personally drawn pic.

(Was incredible to see him draw so well so fast!)

But yeah, do bring the movie program, and a properly colored marker just in case.

Ugh. I hope he doesn't do that. I really want this program signed.

Yeah I'll probably get a silver marker for the cover, being black, or maybe red? Idk.

Do they usually have any Macross toys for sale there?

Edited by Gakken85

Ugh. I hope he doesn't do that. I really want this program signed.

Yeah I'll probably get a silver marker for the cover, being black, or maybe red? Idk.

Do they usually have any Macross toys for sale there?

He'll prob sign it no prob.

They will likely have a moderate amount of Macross stuff at any con, but if dealers are smart they will have extra at this con because he will be there.

As with any con, hit the dealers room early Friday before all the good stuff is picked over.

Ask folks familiar with the con if prereg pick up takes forever, might be better to reg at the con instead of waiting in line forever at a badly run prereg pickup.

Some cons also have reg Thursday night.

And double check: ask several staff in advance several times where the signings will be, and if they have been moved. You do not want to have the location time changed on you and get screwed or line up at the wrong spot.

Edited by Kaldar5

It seems stressful. One of my lady friends goes every year so I hope she can help me.

Nah, we are likely talking over a whole weekend.

Just figure out what you "have to do" (really bummed if you don't) and make sure to do those.

Get Mikimoto to sign stuff, go to his panel, score Macross goods. Done.

Secondary missions: Know what he looks like so you can buy him a drink, or tell him he rocks personally in a non-stalkerish way if you see him somewhere. Bonus points for doing it in broken bad Japanese. At least you tried, culturally Japanese people rarely frown on people at least attempting.

The rest of the time hang out, do what you like, talk to friendly strange people, take pictures of strange people, have a room party, invite the strange people you met, and get sloshed.

Edited by Kaldar5

Haha. Raleigh is the Capital of North Carolina. The City of Oaks. Damn fine food and beautiful trees.

I think the Bicycle manufacturer is named after Sir Walter Raleigh, but Idk.

Thanks. I heard North Carolina many times but didn't know Raleigh at all. The name of the State is very famous around the world because I had heard "from North Carolina, at guard, 6.6, Micheal Jordan" so many times in 90s.

Thanks. I heard North Carolina many times but didn't know Raleigh at all. The name of the State is very famous around the world because I had heard "from North Carolina, at guard, 6.6, Micheal Jordan" so many times in 90s.

Yup. UNC tarheels :D

Haha. Raleigh is the Capital of North Carolina. The City of Oaks. Damn fine food and beautiful trees.

Can you recommend some good restaurants? I'm actually going down a couple of days before the con to do some site seeing, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to try some local favorites.

Can you recommend some good restaurants? I'm actually going down a couple of days before the con to do some site seeing, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to try some local favorites.

I can.

What kind of food do you like?

High quality burgers:

http://www.ac-restaurants.com/chucks/

Honey fried chicken:

http://www.ac-restaurants.com/beasleys/

Real Pit BBQ- fancy style

http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

Vegan and Veggie options. Homemade pie.

http://www.theremedydiner.com/

Fantastic Bar food and beers.

http://www.raleightimesbar.com/

Reasonable Italian in a cozy setting:

http://www.gravyraleigh.com/

These are all within a mile or so of the convention center.

I'm planning on getting my Mac7 poster signed.

Awesome poster!

I remember Raleigh from the history books. It's been there before the US was even a country. I think.

It's old.. But in the last 5 or 10 years it's really grown. With the Research Triangle park being 20 min away we have some pretty heavy hitters Job wise. Red Hat, Citrix, and Lenovo. Even through the economic downturn the job market was really strong here.

I know apartments downtown have jumped from like $900 bucks a month to $1400 bucks a night in the last 2-3 year because so many people are moving here. There is a nice nightlife and city atmosphere, but lots of small town appeal.

We also got Businessweeks Best city in America last year:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/which-is-americas-best-city-09202011.html

:D

Edited by Gakken85

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I met Mikimoto at Katsucon 5, I wish I could get another sketch this year. I've always tried to see any Macross staffer/VA at events within driving distance. In 2000, I made the arduous 500 mile trip to Animazement (from northern Ohio) to catch the great Akira Kamiya. Alas, all my old convention cohorts are now disinterested or unavailable. Not being able to split travel + room expenses puts me in a bind, and I have no family network present in NC. I wouldn't be opposed to bartering my spare collectibles for "forum member" lodging or such.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a great Autograph from Mikimoto. He was also signing pictures of Macross the 1st and giving them to all the people who were in line.

I'll post notes of his panel in a bit.

The Dealers room was a joke. Nothing but figarts crap and gundam kits.

I saw one Yamato Fire Valk but they wanted $300 bucks for it. I tried not to laugh.

This other dealer said he sent all his macross stuff to boston to sell it for that convention.

I was like.. Oh, that's too bad. I have 600 bucks in my pocket. haha

This might be things he has said at other panels, as I'm sure he gets the same questions. But if anybody cares:

Notes from Mikimoto's Panel:

1. He had a hard time with Macross 7 Characters. He doesn't like rock music.

2. Minmay was influence by the catty women he worked with when he first started out

3. His style would be different if he started out today.

4. He wanted to use a simple style for Gunbuster but he had to make it more complex due to the requests of Gainex. Very happy with the outcome of the Show even though he came into the project late.

5. His favorite Valk design are the VF-1, and the Delta wing (VF-0 I think). He also likes the triangle stealth valks (VF-171?). He feels the toys never really capture the look of the artwork.

6. Claudia was a design he worked on at his desk, and a random studio Exe. saw it, like it, and wanted to add it to Macross. Wasn't intentionally so racial diverse, just worked out that way.

7. He is always struggling with being burnt out. He tries to keep things fresh for himself.

8. Macross the first: Wants to introduce the love triangle sooner. He has a team drawing the mechs. He feels that DYRL is a good framework for condensing the story.

9. His parents were very against his choice to become an artist for a living. They still aren't that keen on it and have probably never seen Macross.

He asks for support for his new projects.

Everybody had one piece that he would sign, and he also signed these Macross the First prints for everyone. I saw one guy get his VF-X signed and a Masterpiece Hikaru toy.

I had him sign my DYRL movie program.

Enjoy.

mg9eknIl.jpg

EGZofkfl.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

First question, about Minmay.

Sorry for the weird string music, there was some music panel next door and it was too loud.

I have one more of him signing, I'll upload that later.

Edited by Gakken85

Sounds like a great panel! I'm very jealous you guys got stuff signed. Getting your own stuff signed is a big no-no at Japanese events unfortunately.

One thing I noticed - that print isnt actually of Macross the First. Its an alternate colouring of an original character piece he did as part of an exhibit last year and has nothing to do with Macross. Not that that makes it any less awesome mind you. In fact, Save and I thought it almost looks like Myung....

post-9325-0-57749200-1369646929_thumb.jpg

I find the whole process insulting and degrading honestly. I feel awkward waiting in line and it has to be a shitty experience for the artist. I rarely go for autographs, but that was what was being done. I get mortified that people would do it just to sell something on ebay. I hope he appreciated that I went to a lot of trouble and picked a specific piece. I also bought a nice gold marker just for him to use. His translator seemed impressed and I got to shake his hand.

I feel at the least its a connection to him on a work I really enjoyed.

Ah, I wasn't sure what it was from. Its a very nice little print. I like it a lot.

I unfortunately felt that Mr. Mikimoto wasn't quite as engaged as he could have been. I certainly don't know his personality well enough to state that as truth, but he did state he didn't know what his second individual panel was really about (besides also being late to it).

Both his individual panels, "Macross Behind the Scenes" and "Beautiful Girls of Haruhiko Mikimoto," were Q&A only (no presentation), with Toshifumi Yoshida (another Animazement guest) emceeing and translating. Yoshida was a little overbearing and actually abused his position as MC at times to geek out ask his own questions, one of which was the hackneyed question, "Misa or Minmay?"

Both the other two illustration-oriented guests, Yoichi Kotabe and Koichi Tsunoda, took drawing implements to their hands and had prepared visuals during at least one of their panels. Mikimoto did not have anything except for the original artwork prints that he signed, which only showed up during his planned (and surprise) autographs sessions.

The "Beautiful Girls of Haruhiko Mikimoto" panel would have been an excellent forum to display his artwork, new and old, but no effort appeared to be made. And, yet, during his remarks during the closing ceremonies, he stated that, while he was appreciative that his 30-year-old work (i.e. Minmay) was still celebrated enough to fetch $3,200 for charity, he'd like to be able to talk about his new work next time he visits. That raises questions. Why couldn't or didn't he? Did the staff not allow him; do the fans lack interest?

Perhaps he has feelings similar to those of Mari Iijima, grateful to Macross for launching his career but uneasy about the contraints its fandom has imposed. It might also be fair to say he may have enjoyed his time reminiscing at the panel with Mrs. Ishiguro and Hiroshi Nagahama ("Memories of Director Ishiguro") more than his own panels.

Well, I think Animazement was a little sloppy. Maybe they rushed him so there was more room and time for Noize? or whatever they are called.

I did feel a little bear bones, but I'm glad he came. I hope they paid him well at least.

Also, hello Veffidas, were you at the signing?

Edited by Gakken85

That's kinda sad to hear since he's such a big impact in anime in general, not just Macross but several other cartoons. Also, I would think that his fans would appreciate his work no matter what it is since fans of artist usually admire technique as much as subject matter. I for one would feel lucky to see him speak about his new work as well as his old stuff. Hearing someone like that talk about his work would be so inspiring and an immeasurable resource.

@Gakken, That is a very sad thought that people would wait in line for an autograph just to turn around & sell it... on Ebay no less. Mikimoto's art style is the whole reason I wanted to be an artist (Not just Macross,but his other projects as well... Marionette Generation for example) and my love for Anime exploded. So hopefully the majority of fans who showed up (Like you) enjoyed the opportunity to meet him, shake hands, say hi and get your books signed and as i would do, get that stuffed framed and cherish it.

Just meeting him and thanking him for his inspiration would be one more thing to cross out on the Bucket list! B))

I hope so! Like I said I'm not really one to go for autographs or even conventions, so it was a different experience for me.

Here is a very short video of him actually signing.