RIP Mr Ebert

TehPW

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/2013/04/04/17603130-film-critic-roger-ebert-dies-at-70?lite

Just a friendly reminder, for all the argueing we do, we are all, MORTAL.

Mr Ebert is someone i grew up watching back in the late 80's. His battles with his epic foe, Mr Siskel, are legendary. His battle with cancer just as telling, for our generation.

Lets hope he starts right back up, with his battles with his epic foe, in the after life...

Right after they hug each other, as good friends should do. Condolences to the NOK.

This was quite shocking news. He will be missed.

I, too, didn't always agree with his opinions and views (the majority of times I did), but his reviews always did get me thinking.

Nevertheless, he was always positive, even in the darkest times, as the following quote illustrates:

In his last blog, he wrote: "It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital.

"So, on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22035330

I respect what he did for my much beloved film and his writing was always interesting and entertaining. He was largely a positive force for film and a good face for film fans. However, I feel his passing very naturally and even find it reassuring to me in a way, that like all life our deaths are necessary for our children to live their own lives. Ebert made his views on many a subject quite clear, especially his disrespect for video games and political motivations for writing reviews. His passing signals a change of guard, a new era where a younger and more open-minded critical establishment to come will write unburdened by the prejudices of previous generations. I hope we build upon the foundation that Ebert built and dare to challenge the established way of looking at all art, as he originally did for film.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Over the last few years, I'd been checking Ebert's website more and more. Sometimes for movie reviews, sometimes for the blog, sometimes just to read a master describing a film we loved (or hated).

When greeting celebrities at the red carpet before the Oscars, he always seemed like a buffoon. But then you sit down with one of his articles, and the dignity comes back.

Thanks to the internet over the last decade or so I have become aware of Mr Ebert and his work here in Australia and I have to say that, even though I might not have always agreed with his views or reviews, I could not fault him on his morality, love of humanity and his love of film.

But THIS was the moment when he really won me over and I became a fan......

(He would have won me over sooner if we had ever got his show over here, this is from a documentary about the film BLT (Better Luck Tomorrow))

I remember him and Gene Siskel when I used to watch At The Movies on public TV before they went to the Networks. Gene Siskel's death was shocking and Ebert's is kinda depressing. That was one show that I looked forward to every Sunday. I think it made me appreciate movies at a different level as a kid. It was around then that I started looking forward to films months before they came out. It's strange that it seemed that they came around the perfect time when all the movies that were magic to kids our age got to be put under their microscopes. Die hard, Predator, Highlander, Robocop, Gremlins, Back to the Future, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Lethal Weapon, Hunt For Red October, ALIENS! I'm sure I would have loved those movies but I think I got to appreciate them at depth because they looked for things that not only made movies good, but made them special. It almost warms my heart to think that the two of them are back together and they're both sitting on clouds and watching films projected against the moon. Thanks guys... we'll see you AT THE MOVIES! ;)

I always looked to Siskel & Ebert's reviews to guide my movie choices as a broke-teenager. God bless the both of you, gentlemen...

This quip from him about the Star Wars prequals is classic.

"To say that George Lucas cannot write a love scene is an understatement; greeting cards have expressed more passion"

I still think my favorite line is from his review of "North." Hell, he even turned it into a book title...

What are you talking about? The Host was AWESOME!!

Err, we're talking about the Korean monster movie, right?

Nope.

The New movie based in the Novel of Stephanie Meyer, the same "author" of Twilight Saga....