Macross Collectibles Market Watch - Current Auction/Store SOLD prices

jvmacross

That's about $340... is that considered scalper pricing? I'm not a fan of the design so I'll likely never be in the position to buy or sell one, so I have no stake in it. But it's a pretty rare valk and not one that Arcadia is ever likely to reissue. I've seen Max or Milia 1Js sell for higher.

Anything $20 over the original msrp that is not in new/mib/misb condition is scalping to me.

I don't resell anything, so I couldn't care less about how/why "resellers" or scalpers justify their price-jacking.

Anything $20 over the original msrp that is not in new/mib/misb condition is scalping to me.

I don't resell anything, so I couldn't care less about how/why "resellers" or scalpers justify their price-jacking.

Do you just feel this way about collectibles?

The "concept" pretty much applies to everything with a perceived value in our free market economy....cars, homes, rent, degrees, you name it!

You may have been "price-jacked" today and didn't even realize it? Enjoy electricity? Gasoline? :)

The "concept" pretty much applies to everything with a perceived value in our free market economy....cars, homes, rent, degrees, you name it!

You may have been "price-jacked" today and didn't even realize it? Enjoy electricity? Gasoline? :)

Haha, I just said as much over in the Ozma 29 thread! That's capitalism for ya <_<

Apples and oranges.

As such, if I can use my valk-toys to go work and stuff, i prolly tolerate and pay the price-jacking.

Coz going to work in an valkyrie is just priceless...

:bump:

:D

I have mixed feelings on price increases on collectibles, and I do think think that there's some difference between them and other goods and services. For most goods and services, price increases usually reflect increases in costs somewhere else along the supply chain -- parts, labor, raw materials, etc. That's not quite the case with aftermarket prices on collectibles. Sometimes a seller sells an item at a higher price because they themselves purchased it at an inflated aftermarket value and merely want to recoup their costs. Other times it's a seller who bought the item at retail, but chooses to inflate the sale price because they know there's demand and people will pay.

With the latter, I realize this reflects the law of supply and demand, and I recognize that it's part of any hobby involving collectible items so I accept it for what it is. Hence, I don't think the price for the aforementioned Super Ostrich is that unreasonable considering the rarity of the valk. At the same time, I think I'd personally have a real problem jacking up the price on a collectible just because I can. In fact, most of the items I've sold, whether here or on eBay, were at cost or at a slight loss. I view the "loss" as money paid for the time I owned and enjoyed the product.

I don't have an investor mentality towards any of my collectibles. I buy them for my enjoyment and fully expect that one day they will crumble and burn and ultimately be worthless. I think that it's good for collector-oriented hobbies to have more people get involved. More collectors means more companies will be willing to release more product. Companies make more money, collectors get more product, everyone wins. But when people start jacking up the prices just because they can, I think that creates a real barrier to entry for the hobby, and ultimately I don't think it's good for the hobby in the sense of making it accessible. But that just my two cents. I recognize my opinion is probably the minority.

Edited by SuperSenpai

What gets my goat most of the time is that I believe most scalpers are not really actual Macross fans.

At most, they're just temporary fans.

They're actually just really in it to make a profit at the expense of the fans they've most likely deprived of the chance of getting the valk during pre-o and/or during release-dates.

As such, can't really blame them scalpers, either.

Sadly and unfortunately, some actual fans agrees and are willing to pay the scalper-pricings.

Yeah I mean it's the free market economy.

That's like saying having a rare Car from the 50's and selling it for a few hundred bucks when it's worth 10's of 1000's is "scalping".

That's not how scalping works... hell that's not even what scalping means.

Scalping is buying up a product (usually tickets) to create a false scarcity and increase the going market rate.

So if you bought like 200 VT-1's when they first came out to try to make people pay more then, that would be scalping.

For a simpler example, scalping is what we see with Anime Export when one person buys up a ton of Bandai Frontier valks, or what NY does when they buy more frontier valks and jack up the price. That is scalping, and just about everybody on this forum supports NY at one point or another - so it's a little hypocritical to get down on it.

But some people don't grasp basic concepts, or get easily confused. :D

Collectibles are luxury items. Nobody needs Yamato's VF-1's to survive. ( I don't think.) If you want to change your collection, or stop collecting, or collect something else, it's only natural to want to get your money back, or more, when you go to sell it to somebody else. It's the whole reason people care about condition and sealed toys, vs loose broken toys. You have to be able to gauge the worth over time just like when you go to sell a car.

I love the idea of being able to make money on my hobby, it means I can collect more, or have my hobby pay for itself. You can't make money on on every item - but if the value on the market is there, why not profit?

Natural scarcity is when an item has been sold out for a long time and people believe that it is WORTH paying more than the original price to own it because it is scarce. That's why VF-4's are worth so much money. There are not a lot of them. Personally, I don't feel a VF-4 is worth 500, or 900 dollars, so I never bought one.

Just because you can't afford it, or don't want it doesn't mean you should hate on others who can and do want an item.

Also, due to inflation and other factors the cost of MSRP has gone up and probably will continue to do so, that probably prices some people out of the hobby.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

What gets my goat most of the time is that I believe most scalpers are not really actual Macross fans.

i agree with this. just going over to CAG and reading the posts, many share your views. some don't care about the particlar hobby whether it's gaming or macross but just playing along to make profit. i think it gets to everyone that actually cares for the hobby.

i

Good discussion here. I personally felt the same as SuperSenpai, that the small loss is for the *rent* paid to enjoy the toys.

I buy valks mostly after reading reviews and looking at online pictures (mostly on MW forum). But in the rare cases where I dont feel like keeping a valk in my collection, I will sell it. And knowing full well how the prices fluctuate, I will do survey mostly based on the selling prices here on MW and also the price I paid for it.

But then again I am thrift when it comes to valks (I mostly pay less than MSRP,except for the few newer releases). It all comes down to how much youre willing to spend on a valk, a matter of personal preference IMHO. If no one buys it, after some time the prices will inevitably go down.

Guest davidwhangchoi

What's CAG?

sorry just came back home, was driving. yeah it what xrentonx said gaming site for enthusiasts

How does one make a profit in the "gaming" hobby? Vintage games or is there some secret illicit gaming black market out there??? :wacko:

yeah, check out the CAG site, it's very similar to bandai panic. xrentonx and myself just pre-ordered a limited copy of Metal Gear Solid V. these things go out oop and go up in price. (i posted in the Metal Gear Thread)

and the same choices as macross: some get it just to play and don't care about value while others keep it misb to keep on their shelf to show off. like posters and cells for anime

then there's the scaplers which they really will attack and ban. they act like they're into gaming but just there to sell stuff at mark up.

right now in two days on 3/20. there's this gold mario amiibo that only going to be sold at Walmart. there's a huge panic for missing the pre-orders so everyone's fighting to get at release day.

just google it and it'll be in the news. you're going to see people line up at walmart.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Yamato 1/60v2 VT-1 Super Ostrich available at Jungle for 41,040y (excluding shipping-fees):

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/?page_id=121&id=1091873

Get it soon if you're more than willing to pay that scalper-pricing...

Wow! This is still available! I guess the unknown condition of shoulders is probably the reason why. Still i have bought plenty of A listed items from Jungle without any issues.. could always email Them and ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna release an order of 1/60 VF-1A hikaru with strike parts that I placed on Jungle soon, since I've found a better deal elsewhere.

Price was $140-ish before shipping, so check out Jungle these few days if you need one (Dont know when they will re-list it and if theyre going to keep the same price).

Guest davidwhangchoi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191543415920

MIB Elint sold on US Ebay for $430 shipped.

35 bids across 8 bidders.

oh man! that's a good price and it's open too. definitely legit auction, i need to bust out my doubles of the ve-1's w/ option parts and throw them up. nah... too lazy to dig them out, back to gunpla

Every DX Chogokin has gone up leading up to April.

VF-25A >12k ( I got the last one at 12k)

VF-25F starting from 16k

YF-30 20k plus

Such is Macross collecting. I think the ceiling for the low tier ones would be 18-20k and then 30k for the YF-29s.

I think prices for the yf-29s are dropping slowly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Underpriced unused VF-4 buy it now.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/196616035

You guys should get this as I am not getting it.

Unless you live in Japan by the time you add the forwarding and double shipping fees (seller to forwarder & forwarder to buyer) its going to be close to 90,000 yen if not more anyways.. So if Arcadia does or doesn't re-issue the VF-4 then im gonna be happy with just the one I have..

pass

Unless you live in Japan by the time you add the forwarding and double shipping fees (seller to forwarder & forwarder to buyer) its going to be close to 90,000 yen if not more anyways.. So if Arcadia does or doesn't re-issue the VF-4 then im gonna be happy with just the one I have..

pass

ditto. ^_^

Wait... What?! For that price I could buy 4 VF-4Gs and loose Gunpods to go along with it. :lol: