Macross / Robotech games in English

speros

Hi All,

sorry to sound like a newbie but just discovered this site existed, but a long time fan of the series.

Just trying to find out if there are any robotech / Macross / ACE games in english out there other than the 2 that came out on ps2 battlecry and invasion many years ago to the world.

I'm in Australia and we don't get half the games the rest of the world gets as you can imagine and if I do find new games there in Japanese only in Australia and the asain game stores.

your advice will be much appreciated

Regards

Ben

There are only three games under the Robotech license: Robotech: Battlecry (PS2), Robotech: Invasion (PS2); and Robotech: The Macross Saga (GBA).

Of those, only Battlecry and Robotech actually use the Macross content; Invasion, IIRC, uses Mospaeda content.

There are no Macross games available in English due to the licensing nonsense w/ Harmony Gold. If you're looking for a good Macross games, you're simply going to have to play a Japanese game. I'd recommend anything by Artdink, particularly their latest title, Macross 30. If you're worried about the language barrier, well, see my sig.

Thanks for your fast reply and help its greatly appreciated.

how dissapointing about no english games though, I'll start searching for the Macross 30 straight away on good old ebay.

look fordward to reading your translation guide. Its good to see there are people out there to help the less fortunate haha :D

Hi All,

sorry to sound like a newbie but just discovered this site existed, but a long time fan of the series.

Just trying to find out if there are any robotech / Macross / ACE games in english out there other than the 2 that came out on ps2 battlecry and invasion many years ago to the world.

I'm in Australia and we don't get half the games the rest of the world gets as you can imagine and if I do find new games there in Japanese only in Australia and the asain game stores.

your advice will be much appreciated

Regards

Ben

Ah, the gaming hell that is Oz. I remember how difficult it was to get import games there back in the PS1 days...

Having said that, Oz doesnt miss out on many game releases at all these days - with the PS3 its far easier to get games in Japanese than ever before - Asuras Wrath, Yakuza 3 & 4, any RPG released by NIS... theres a not inconsiderable list of games with Japanese left in them in Australian releases.

Now, if you were talking about imports, then I see where you are coming from. While theres still 1 or 2 import shops left in Sydneys Chinatown, they charge 100% markup or more. AND they dont usually get new stuff. Online is the only way imo, so yeah, Grahame definately knows what he is talking about! CD Japan or Amazon Japan are are my recommendations.

Game-wise, there have actually been over 40 Macross games over the past 30 years or so. And I agree that the most recent, Macross 30, is a great one to get. Even if you arent used to playing games in Japanese, dont let the plot/explanation opening put you off because the game is a lot of fun to play.

Just so you know what you are getting...

Macross 30 trailer.

Macross 30 gameplay.

There are three Macross games on the PSP, and I'd recommend the second one - Macross Ultimate Frontier. It's much more polished than Macross Ace Frontier and doesnt have the school mode that Macross Tiangle Frontier has (very Japanese text heavy).

Also, we just discussed some impressions of Macross 30 in the latest Macross SpeakerPODcast (sig↓).

Anyways, welcome to the boards! Am looking forward to hearing all about your upcoming Macross gaming experiences!

Edited by Tochiro

Also of note- the Robotech console games came out on the GC and Xbox as well. Unfortunately you can't play Battlecry or Invasion on the 360.

It's impossible to find the GCN version. I know, I've looked.

EDIT: And as soon as I post that, I go on Amazon and find 50+ copies starting at $0.01. Huh. Guess who's ordered some Battlecry?

I've only ever played in on PS2 before, but even then, I've bought the game maybe 5 or 6 different times.

Edited by Zoroastres

Just a note of interest- the art director of Battlcry was a friend of mine. We met when I noticed he had a superdeformed VF-1A CF keyholder hanging out of his pocket, and got to talking about Roboblech and Macross. He had never seen anything of the original, so I lent him some of my Macross books. He really appreciated seeing the Mospeada stuff in the Artmic Design Works book, as they were planning "Invasion" at the time.

• 2 years later...

I built a new PC that can finally run emulators fast and stumbled upon "Robotech: Battlecry". I just started playing it and gotta say it's not bad. (This coming from someone who until now has only played N64 versions of StarFox.) Our household has never been big into consoles so I'm probably just deprived, but I am having fun.

The one thought that keeps crossing my mind is: "This comes from Harmony Gold?!?!?"

I keep waiting to stumble upon something that shows how it might just be a repackaged Japanese game.

Looking around on the 'boards I also see that they put out a Mospeada based game.

Geez I had no idea.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I built a new PC that can finally run emulators fast and stumbled upon "Robotech: Battlecry". I just started playing it and gotta say it's not bad. (This coming from someone who until now has only played N64 versions of StarFox.) Our household has never been big into consoles so I'm probably just deprived, but I am having fun.

The one thought that keeps crossing my mind is: "This comes from Harmony Gold?!?!?"

When they get the heck out of the way and let someone with a genuine love for the franchise work, good things happen.

When they shackle the franchise to a bunch of egomaniacs with no talent... bad things happen.

I keep waiting to stumble upon something that shows how it might just be a repackaged Japanese game.

Nope. Totally original western-developed content. Vicious Cycle just happened to have some serious fans onboard.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm STILL waiting on a Valkyrie package for DCS... B))

Edited by slide

• 2 weeks later...

I just started playing through Macross Ultimate Frontier via a very compatible emulator that upscales graphics.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but again, I'm impressed. I do lament the lack of English (or even Spanish) localization.

You start off playing through a few tv SDF scenarios. One level has you do some combat training against destroids which is quite easy, when all of a sudden Roy pops in as the Enemy Ace. Ha!

I lasted maybe a 5 seconds and was blown away. I think it'll be a while before I'll be able to take him down, but I'm slowly getting a feel for the controls.

This really makes hope for a Delta version - with, hoping against hope, localization.

• 4 weeks later...