• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's that thing circled behind the DMZ Material Version Scopedog? It looks like some kind of backdrop or something. I have bought some DMZs but never come across that thing before. Does it only come with purchase of the Material Version? Any info on how to get it is appreciated. The DMZs are so cool, I wish the line didn't end so abruptly.

post-7892-0-71539200-1302768224_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr.chogokin

I do not know - but what is the difference between the regular DMZ and the 'Material Version'?

After looking at both lines (yamato and the dmzs) I decided to go with Yamato because of the pilot figures. The Microman thing just doesn't look good to me.

Although the weathering effect on the DMZs looks so tempting. Been watching for them to drop in price and I'm still waiting...

DMZ Material Version is like the Yamato scopedogs - they're only bare plastic molded in their respective colors. Which is why I held back from buying one. It's also helluvalot expensive than the regular but well-painted DMZs. But if I have to buy a Material Version just to get that backdrop, I might do it; if it's not too expensive.

Just found out from Tokyohunter's site that the Material Version DMZ Scopedog is an exclusive item offered at the Chara Hobby 2006. No mention that the backdrop was offered together though. Anyone reading this please help me to ask around, pretty please?

I have not watched any of the OVA's other than the Last Red Shoulder.

I am kinda scared too. I love the original show so much..

I've just finished marathoning Pailsen Files, Shining Heresy, Phanton Arc, Case Irvine & Finder so here's my 2 bobs worth.

IMHO if you want to keep the memory of the original show untarnished then leave well enough alone.

Shining Heresy was probably as close as you're going to get to the original show but it really didn't add anything and was pretty silly in places.

Pailsen Files was for the most part as boring as bat sh!t. The action was few and far between. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of cgi battle scenes, lots of flashy explosions but too fast to take in what's going on. Nicely detailed but I felt it didn't really add anything to the story line as most of it was only elaborating on things that you got from the original series.

Phantom Arc, yak, yak, yak! Some nice animation, the original gang was back together and that was it. Total waste of 2 and a bit hours.

Case Irvine has absolutely nothing to do with the original series apart from the VOTOM's themselves. It's just another cgi fest.

Finder. I didn't even finish it. How they can claim this has anything to do with VOTOMS is beyond me. It's just another cgi fest with smart arse kids thrown in. I suppose it would appeal to the Dragon Booster set but it should not be associated with the VOTMS series.

If you want to keep the memory of the original series alive give the above OVAs a miss, I know I regret watching them :(

Edited by thegunny

Have not seen Irvine or Finder - the others I enjoyed just to get more Votoms.

As for the updated cgi, with stupid kids thing -- I guess at some point there's more money to gain from getting a whole new snot-nosed, following than gleaning the last few dollars from the aging original fans.

Yeah we can afford to shell out top-dollar for limited run toys and collectibles, but getting just 1 dollar each from millions of new (insert name here?) is far more profitable...

I wish they had either MSIA versions of Votoms mechs or Revoltechs.

:(

Kaiyodo sold some dogs that were somewhat MSiA equivalent way back when. I own a few but they weren't real great though. A bit fragile and somewhat limited articulation but could be had pretty cheap usually counter to what HLJ listings may price them at.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD51058

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD51068

Maybe you've already seen these though.

Hey guys I just got back from anime boston and I picked a votoms kit for 35 bucks and I was wondering what if anything you can tell me about. The box says its a 1/24 red shoulder custom scopedog metal/plastic hybrid kit made by Takara. The plastic body and all the parts are chrome. Unfortunatly I don't have my digicam handy so I can't take any pics, but I want to know if this kit is special or anything so I'm going to go ahead a post this.

Did anyone play the Votoms video games? There was a supposedly really good one on the PS2 a couple of years back which follows the main series plus a couple of the OVAs. I tried to play the PS1 game called "Woodo/Kummen", but I really have no idea what to do, I can't even kill the first enemy. :angry:

I own the PS2 game "Soukou Kihei Votoms" and I think it's pretty good personally. A few of the levels are kind of irritating especially the ones were you play solely as Chirico on foot but otherwise it's a solid mecha action game even if you're not a huge Votoms fan. There's a lot to unlock so there's replay value too. I couldn't say how it stacks up against other Votoms games though because I haven't played any of the other ones.

I watched the first 3 OVA's

Last Red Shoulder

The Big Battle

Roots of Ambition.

These were are pretty good and fill in gaps in the original story or just add a bit more backstory to it.

Next up is Armor Hunter Mellowlink which seems to be in the same tone.

I watched some previews for the very most recent batch of Votoms OVA's and they look a little too cute to be Votoms.

I watched the first 3 OVA's

Last Red Shoulder

The Big Battle

Roots of Ambition.

These were are pretty good and fill in gaps in the original story or just add a bit more backstory to it.

Next up is Armor Hunter Mellowlink which seems to be in the same tone.

I watched some previews for the very most recent batch of Votoms OVA's and they look a little too cute to be Votoms.

LOVED Last Red Shoulder and ROOTS - Big Battle was pretty good too

Enjoyed Mellowlink - Great change of pace from the others...

• 4 months later...

Sorry to have to ask here, but I'm having trouble locating the current "Votoms" thread over at Toysdaily.com. I used to have a standing link to the thread, but it's now broken. Is anybody able to navigate that site that can give me a link to the current "Votoms" megathread?

I enjoyed that thread as it was updated fairly often with all things Votoms...

Ha, I'm going through exactly the same paces right now. Now that the Macross well is relatively dry I'm trying to go back and get some of the larger VOTOMS toys and finding myself asking the same questions.

This might help you out, go to Yamato's website:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/goods_list.php?gid=60&cid=115

That's the VOTOMs section. You can then scroll and check out the release order. The more recently it came out the more improvements it will have.

Based on Yamato's page I have a question, was there a Brutish Dog release that came bundled with the Falyna figure? I apologize if I just murdered her name, it's been a while since i watched the show.

Edited by jenius

VERY GLAD to have gotten into the Yamato Votoms LATE, and accidentally avoiding the mistake ridden early releases.

After sorting out the various scopedogs this is the one I got for a decent price on Yahoo Japan Auctions; Last Red Shoulder.

It did not come with a red shoulder piece (go figure) and I wanted one so I got this accessory set as well. Wish the red shoulder would have been a brighter red (seen in that pic above) - yes I know I can paint it though.

The Brutish Dog and Fyana fig are also some of my favorite collectables...

post-8486-0-05614400-1315837624_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-81314500-1315837635_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-30565300-1315837732_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-14487600-1315837766_thumb.jpg

JENIUS -

Here's a Brutish Dog on evilBay starting at $99 - that is a good price, pick it up if you can...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-ATM-09-GC-1-12-Brutishdog-Armored-Trooper-Votoms-Scopedog-/250893075854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6a64858e#ht_500wt_898

The metal claw hinge on my Brutish is LOOSE - does anyone know if I can just pry off the outer 2 fork-thing and put some clear nail polish on there? I did not want to PRY anything until I asked...

Thanks Darrin. I'm watching eBay so I'll probably put a lowball bid in. I've also asked a friend in Japan to help me find a Brutish Dog + Fyana figure.

I recently purchased the following:

1) V1 Scopedog (but I'm afraid I have to return it because it doesn't have the gun)

2) Chirico Cuvie figure

3) Scopedog + Roundmover

4) Scopedog Weapon set 1

I'm now hoping to find:

1) V1 Scopedog

2) Brutishdog with Fyana

3) Roots of Ambition Scopedog OR Battle Udon Scopedog

I'm also looking to make some DMZ purchases.

JENIUS - When you say V1 Scopedog - you mean without the Turbo Legs? Aren't those full of problems - like the inability to stand up well?

Are you aware there is a Fyana Brutish version and a Fyana Space version purple? Get the regular orangish version.

The parachute pack is cool - but very heavy.

Add the Wave 1/12 figure set to your list - THEY ARE STUNNING and there is an affordable set on Yahoo Japan right now - get them, pic below.

Have watched the DMZ stuff - heard the SDs are great but those micromen figs look awful to me. Keep me posted when you make a purchase.

Are you going to start a Votoms section on Anymoon??

Might as well add a Patlabor section too - you and me should take the plunge on a Yamato Ingram soon as affordably possible...

Oh - and the Fyana comes with the improvements to Chirico - new head sculpt and torso seen here...

post-8486-0-48265300-1316182002_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-09535900-1316182310_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG