Oh Geeezz - I a l m o s t understood you.

• Until you said, "the extra optional lighter flat-red shoulder piece from the Udoo city arc is included with the weapons set you linked, which is what's in the big red box"

• I understand the flatter red shoulder piece comes in the accessory set I linked to. But you just said above here that it comes in the red box with the dog too.

• I think you misspoke there, I do not think the red box set comes with a red shoulder piece.

• I'm certain though if I'm going to shell out this kind of money I want the v3 (red box), even if its not a red shoulder type which I like the look of.

SO

If I read the rest right, I CAN use the on sale accessory set to make the red box version into a Udoo Arc red shoulder dog, but that one in the anime was not in fact a TURBO. I think that is OK and would give me lots of extras to play with. I will educate myself soon but is the only difference between a turbo and non-turbo the back calves?

• Is displaying a Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom with a left red flat shoulder and parachute pack ridiculous?

Can anyone out there help explain further? Should we just PM each other so we're not driving everyone else mad?

------------

PS -- The only red box I can find is around $150 - plus commission and shipping will prob end up being $225 - should I keep looking?

The big red box is the 'red shoulder' set, so yeah, it comes with the same flat red shoulder piece as the accessory set standalone pack.

The Turbo has entirely new parts from the knees down, and slightly different colors (a bit 'greener' overall). The parts are totally compatible, so you could throw a Parachute Pack on a Turbo no problems... if this is your first purchase, I'd really, really recommend getting the Turbo first, as that toy is perfect, whereas the 'v2' stuff is improved but still have some looseness, especially in the shoulders and elbows. The Turbo can hold the long gun much better than the 'v2's... the Turbo is really the only one I'd pay retail for at this point, and that big box set comes with everything you'd need besides a pilot.

I'm so confuzzled.

The big red box, aka the Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom Set, does NOT have a red shoulder. The full set comes with a Scopedog Turbo Custom, and the "Last Red Shoulder" set. The weapons set is EXTREMELY similar to the "Red Shoulder Custom Parts" set which was also available in a bundle with a Scopedog like the "Last Red Shoulder" set. The "Red Shoulder Custom Parts" set DOES come with a left read shoulder. The main immediately recognizable difference between the two is the shoulder mounted missile launcher, the one on the Last Red Shoulder set is a little bigger. Also, the Red Shoulder Custom complete set with the Scopedog is NOT a Turbo Custom (doesn't have the large rollers and flip down leg mounted boosters as well as some other differences).

Here's a reasonably good list of what all has been released:

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/105?CurrentPage=1

The only thing it doesn't show is the bundle with the Red Shoulder Custom parts because that was a limited release, the parts set was available alone as was the Last Red Shoulder parts.

Otherwise I'm completely confused about what's going on here :lol:

Also, the if you mount the parachute pack you can't mount the waist Gatling gun or the shoulder missile launcher since both are attached to a backpack, so you really lose much of what the big weapons pack is all about. The waist mounted two tube missile launcher and arm mounted cannon can stay, though.

OK, we're gonna put this thing to bed... after searching high and low for pictures that noone seems to have (made worse by the fact that half of the pics for anything 'Scopedog' in Google are mine), I have figured this out, and I actually had it backwards:

10065444p1.jpg\

This is the 'big red box', and it is the complete set for the 'Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom'... it contains the Turbo Custom dog and this weapons set:

toy_house_robin_hood-img600x450-1265531306aiwml738440.jpg

toy_house_robin_hood-img600x450-1265531306qv3hys38440.jpg

As we've discussed, no actual red shoulder. For some reason I thought the 'Red Shoulder' complete set was the 'big red box', but that's backwards. I couldn't find a picture of the Red Shoulder set box, but it's the 'v2' Red Shoulder Scopedog packed with this weapons set:

520x495-2010030800006.jpg

Now that I've remembered which boxes are which, I want to say this complete set box is green.

If you're going to get your first, I would wholly recommend the LRS set with the Turbo... it is better.

EDIT: Reading back through the discussion, I see where we got screwed up with all the 'big boxes' and 'red shoulders' turning into 'red boxes'... having so many things with effectively the same name does make this complicated.

Edited by promethuem5

Looks like it's cleared up. The LRS Turbo Custom set, the first picture you posted, the "big red box" is the set I have along with Weapon Sets 1 & 2, Space Fyana and the Parachute Sack. I wholeheartedly recommend the LRS Turbo Custom set, it is 200% awesome. Someday I want to get the Red Shoulder Custom parts (the last picture posted) so I have a red shoulder and the different shoulder missile launcher and backpack and stuff. Still need a Roundmover too.

Keep in mind, the Red Shoulder Custom Parts set has the LEFT side red shoulder which is technically the "wrong" side, but is anime accurate. There was a separate release of a Red Shoulder Scopedog (with no extras, just the normal long rifle) that has the correct RIGHT side red shoulder. Otherwise, there's always custom painting which is super easy on these bad boys.

Edited by Vostok 7

I'll throw some links to mechaHQ in here for the actual anime references.

ATM-09-RSC Scopedog Red Shoulder Custom (imitate) from TV series Uoodo City arc

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/atvotoms/atm-09-rsc.htm

ATM-09-STTC Scopedog Turbo Custom from Last Red Shoulder

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/lastredsh...atm-09-sttc.htm

If you want to check out "real" red shoulders with actual red shoulders from Armored Trooper VOTOMS Red Shoulder Document: Roots of Ambition

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/rootsofambition/index.htm

Keep in mind, the Red Shoulder Custom Parts set has the LEFT side red shoulder which is technically the "wrong" side, but is anime accurate. There was a separate release of a Red Shoulder Scopedog (with no extras, just the normal long rifle) that has the correct RIGHT side red shoulder. Otherwise, there's always custom painting which is super easy on these bad boys.

Thanks Guys for clearing this up. I won a Yahoo Japan auction over the weekend and got the Turbo Custom in the 'big red box'.

Taking all your comments and links together it looks like if I want the one I just bought to be a red shoulder (anime accurate) it has to be on the RIGHT shoulder - like this pic because the CALF armor is Turbo:

post-8486-1270475218_thumb.jpg

I CAN get the left flat red shoulder in that bigger accessory set BUT the one from Udoo City anime went onto a non-turbo dog (calf armor), like this:

post-8486-1270475352_thumb.jpg

So looks like I will be very happy with my purchase and just need the shiny red shoulder from the 'clear armor parts' release to make mine look like the red shoulder chirico above (or just paint mine I guess).

--------

And I cannot get the torrent to work on the Last Red Shoulder OVA! There are many links but they just won't download. I have a Mac - could that be an issue? Does anyone have a link that works? Or a link to a region 1 DVD I can buy?

Yep - this is the pic. And its what I want to display so I guess I'll have to paint it.

post-8486-1270491088_thumb.jpg

You'd think with the red box turbo version selling out Yamato could just add a right red shoulder and do yet ANOTHER milk mold based on that OVA . . .

Edited by DarrinG

Yep - this is the pic. And its what I want to display so I guess I'll have to paint it.

post-8486-1270491088_thumb.jpg

You'd think with the red box turbo version selling out Yamato could just add a right red shoulder and do yet ANOTHER milk mold based on that OVA . . .

It shouldn't be TOO difficult to paint the shoulder... I'd recommend painting it black first, then painting it with a nice metallic flake red, such as Tamiya mica red. If you undercoat it with black it'll give it a very rich looking finish.

Just watched the Last Red Shoulder OVA - interesting. My expectations were very high but I was not disappointed.

Music was really bad (of course) and it seems awkward and slow in bits, but really liked the action inside the fortress -- and the interaction between the 4 guys.

Oh - and Fayna would not have been aloud near the new fighter project, especially after they caught her teaching him mercy and compassion. Guess I need to see the full series to learn what she's all about.

What about a 1/12th Yamato Bloodsucker with Ypsilon figure? Is this line done just when the get all the kinks worked out?

Out of curiosity, was your LRS subbed? All I have is the ancient VHS raw rip, but I'd love to upgrade if there's something better out there.

And yeah, the Yamato VOTOMs stuff seems to be dead... the last thing to come out was the remote control 1/24 Turbo Custom, which noone knew why they wasted time on, and that was quite a while ago.

Votoms stuff has been pretty dead, the steam of Pailsen Files losing much faster than one would hope for. Wonder if the new show will revive it a bit. But a 1/12 Bloodsucker is very unlikely...

LRS is also the first of the few OVAs they made. So quality is not the best (still very nice though). Roots of Ambition is the best one. While the Heretic Saint is a very nice 5 part OVA closure with more modern feel 2D animation to it.

Edited by mpchi

I'm trying to get the Roots of Ambition today - downloading here:

http://www.bakabt.com/145217-Armored_Troop...r_H264_SHS.html

Got a Strong Baccus on Yahoo Japan for 3,900 Yen ($40 bucks!) and a red box Turbo Custom for 15,000 Yen which doesn't seem too bad. I hope they are in great condition. The commission and shipping fees will likely suck though.

Trying to get the WAVE Chirico and Fayana set for $2,000 Yen and had the winning bid, but the auction just added 24 additional hours. I think the seller can do that over there, wish they didn't have that ability.

I will round out my collecting on Votoms with the Yamato Chirico & Fayana figures, Brutish and parachute pack (all in route). Looking at the DVD box set on Amazon for $199, not sure that's doable right now. That'll make 3 Dogs and 2 figures - that's more than enough for now to see where they go next.

Plan on taking a hobby break until Sept (starting Monday) - so if you see me posting on here next week you can call me a weak-willed addict !!

I meant where to buy - but I found one. About $45 bucks - with commission and shipping probably a whopping $75 though. I have found good bargains on Yahoo Japan but its the middle man fees that are killer.

I may still get it because I want my 'red box' turbo custom (that's on its way to me soon) to be a red shoulder. I know I can paint the shoulder but I don't even do stickers let alone paint - mostly for the resale value and because I have very little time.

----

Watched some of Roots of Ambition and Big Battle - enjoyed them both. Checked out Pailsen Files too. Hmm - like everyone else I enjoyed the cel anime better. And the part I saw was a total Private Ryan re-do, cool but a little TOO similar.

Speaking of cels - does anyone collect cels for Votoms they might part with? I can't buy them or make you an offer now but maybe in a year - I'm completely tapped out on funds . . .

Pailsen Files was kind of disappointing but it's what helped bring all the licensed merchandise back out so I'm thankful for that. It is kind of interesting in the fact that it more closely follows the experiment to find the "Supreme Survivor" but it just doesn't look as gritty.

I tried poking around my usual etailers looking for that set but I haven't had any luck. Probably be cheape in the long run to find a cheap stand alone red shoulder dog unless you really want that specific equipment set.

Was anyone looking for a picture of the boxed set containing the improved Scopedog plus the makeshift "Red Shoulder" parts from the TV series?

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT34511

Now what I'd like to know is: do the above linked set and the Scopedog linked below include an extra GREEN shoulder to make a generic Scopedog?

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/116

• 2 months later...

Bringing this thread back...

Does anybody have any 1/18 DMZ's they want to part with?? Really looking to get my hands on one of these and all that I can seem to find anymore is the Tsuvai DMZ-05 on ebay but it doesn't seem to be as weathered as the older ones and it's kind of unfortunate the figure isn't in his pilot uniform. I do like the weapons pack though.

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure if it's better to discuss in here or the general anime thread?

but does anyone have any thoughts on Phantom Arc? It's pretty nostalgic and I think I might actually enjoy it more than Pailsen files but the action is kind of lacking for the most part. Also where's all the merchandising :lol:

Is Phantom Arc on DVD? Subbed?

I youtubed it and saw this - Votoms New Generation? Is this old already, didn't look familiar to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhi5dhuQoEA&NR=1

I think I read that it's coming out in April next year, but don't quote me on that. There have been far too much Votoms anime stuff out in the last year or so (e.g. "Case Irvine", the unfortunately titled "Votoms Finder", etc.), none of it advertised properly, so I cannot keep track. :(

How reliable is ANN?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-08/votoms-case-irvine-votoms-finder-ovas-revealed

All 6 eps of Phantom Arc have been fansubbed. Highly unlikely that it would get a English DVD release.

Yeah, since nothing but original Votoms(CPM) has been released with English subtitles I'd say that's a safe bet too.

There doesn't seem to be much info yet on the other new VOTOMS OVAs, "Finder" and "Case:Irvine". There's been some discussion of the topic over at MAHQ and on /m/ too, but ANN is likely to be as accurate as any other source right now.

I'm a big VOTOMS fan, after 25 years of watching anime, and having originally watched VOTOMS raw on Japanese VHS tapes back in the 80s, it's still my favourite anime franchise. That said, I have to say I was disappointed by Phantom Arc, even more so than with Shining Heresy. I'm hoping the next Chiricio OVA "Alone Again" will give some closure to his story, but looks like it's set after Shining Heresy and before Phantom Arc. As much as I'd like to see new stories about Chirico I think the "end" of his and Fyana's story should have been the TV series ending.

Edited by gale_wolf

• 2 months later...

Recently watching Votoms again. I love this universe.

Anyway I still need a 1/12 Yamato Chirico. :(

Also what is the "best" Japanese Votoms Design/Art book to get?

Votoms OVA's?

Anyone want to help me get some?

Have watched up through episode 4 of the subbed Phantom Arc.

I love the animation and enjoy watching all the characters together again but I keep finding myself anxious and dissatisfied with the pace of the story.

Like let's have some serious Fatty's vs Scopedogs carnage here already!

I assume Alone Again has yet to be subbed?

ANYWAY - the 1/12th Chirico and Fyana figures are incredible, and 2 of my favorite collectables. Make sure you get them. Pair with the Brutish and Turbo Custom and they make an awesome display.

And the book Scopedog 21C Masterbook is nice, and I like my Pailsen Files Visual Book / Mook...

Pretty cool news the new Super robot wars title, Z-2, will feature Votoms for the first time alongside other series including Macross Frontier, Gurren Lagaan and gundam 00.

Full list of series in the spoiler link.

Series list:

Zambot 3

Daitarn 3

Trider G7

God Sigma

Baldios

God Mars

Xabungle

VOTOMS

VOTOMS: The Red Shoulder

VOTOMS: The Red Shoulder Document Roots of Ambition

VOTOMS: Pailsen Files

Orguss

Z Gundam

Char's Counterattack

Gundam Wing (TV)

Gundam X

Turn-A

Seed Destiny

Gundam 00 1st Season

Dancougar

Dancougar Nova

Shin Change! Getter Robo

Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen

Dai-Guard

The Big-O

Overman King Gainer

Gravion Zwei

Aquarion

Code Geass (no R2)

Gurren-Lagann (first half, with apparently the first movie mixed in)

Macross Frontier

Macross Frontier Itsuwari no Utahime

Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows