• 2 weeks later...

And very soon has arrived! Sorry DarrinG, the Yamato reviews are going to have to wait a while, I'm working on a big Macross review so I don't have enough time to dedicate to a toy as complex as the Yamato Scopedogs right now. So, I'll probably take on something a bit similar next like the joint model, Seven 1/48, dual model, or even the 1/60 offering. In the meantime, the 35Max review is up!

35Max-01-7.jpg

Harsh review, but understandable. I'm torn as to whether or not I can agree with your DMZ review being as high as it was, especially looking at the 35max review. The DMZ just seemed really over-hyped to me. They had a terrible mold (razor sharp edges on the arms, feet way too big, curious proportions), strange joints, press-on arms, hands that fall apart, top heavy, amateur "weathering" details, etc. Credit for it's success, in my opinion, was simply due to the fact that it had all the gimmicks. Enough gimmicks and paint details to draw attention away from all the flaws. I was instantly disappointed when I got mine, it just felt so cheap and phoned-in.

It's too bad Yamato didn't make a smaller scale line. Their 1/12 had nicely detailed molds and proportions but the size, joints, and gimmicky panels coupled with horrid build quality ensured a recipe for disaster.

I had not heard before those types of comments on the DMZs. Heard they were the 'Schniz' except for price. For me, the microman pilot figures were unacceptable so I went with a few of the 1/12s.

Like what you stated about them - their size + build quality = disaster. At best it makes them unruly to handle. At worst you want to shoot yourself if another piece pops off, or it simply collapses under its own weight.

The review on the 35Max does nothing to make me want them. They look rubbery with heads that are FAR to big. No one noticed this at Max Factory before the roll out? Legs looks spindly, weathering not so good in the photos either.

Bring on the Yamato reviews I cry - with all the goodness and badness they are...

I think calling the DMZ mold 'terrible' is pretty harsh. I didn't experience any razor sharpness (certainly nothing compared to the wings of Yamato's VF-19 toys). The feet are a little too wide while the armor plate above them is a little too thin. The arms also have a couple minor details which don't jive with the line art but otherwise the mold is very good. I would say that the Yamato mold is better in terms of proportions though. Then Takara went and painted on just about every detail you could want while just about every other Votoms toy maker cheaped it out and gave us cheap stickers. There's definitely room for improvement on the DMZs though. I think Yamato made a terrible mistake when they went 1/12 instead of 1/15 scale (but maybe Takara's license included a range of scales to protect their DMZ line). Yamato made an even worse mistake when they didn't bother painting on nearly any detail at all. Who buys that expensive and huge of a toy and doesn't expect it to make an eye-popping display piece?

Edited by jenius

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice Yamato 1/12 Scope Dog review, as always Jenius.

Think you said it best in these 2 sentences:

"The proportions are fantastic, probably the best Scopedog sculpt to date."

AND

"Once something this big and heavy gets loose it becomes an absolute nightmare to handle and the fun factor goes flying out the window."

SUPER impressive shelf piece, ZERO fun to handle.

The Chirico pilot figure is what makes the line shine, so looking forward to future coverage of that...

post-8486-0-37417400-1356623051_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think I just purchased a Yamato 1/12 Scopedog that was limited to only 100 pieces. I believe it was a lottery prize similar to the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S Weathering Edition. Unfortunately... it's also one of the most boring looking Scopedogs you'd ever see. I think I also own the black Scopedog that was the original DVD purchase so that means I own the rarest Yamato Votoms toys... can't wait to get them on my site but it won't be any time soon.

I've been trying to buy that toy for a while (Rane 35Max Assault Version) but it was the last one they made and it's really hard to come by. I also purchased a CMs Rane Assault Custom but the seller sent me the standard version instead so I had to return it :(