Newest Completed kit- VF-19A Excalibur SVF-569

Jefuemon

Finally finished! The 1/48 scale VF-19A Excalibur "SVF-569 Lightnings" kit from Hasegawa. I went with a darker shade of gray, mainly because when I went to the hobby shop to buy the paint, they were out of the correct shade. The original color was for various F-16's, and this shade is too, so no complaints. I think the darker shade looks nice, anyways.

post-12411-0-95893000-1364617536_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-30217400-1364617548_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-61161900-1364617555_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-38417100-1364617565_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-81868000-1364617527_thumb.jpg

The biggest challenge was masking off the area between the black and gray, while keeping the line for the lightning bolt decal. Easy solution- make a photocopy of the decal sheet, lay down a long strip of tape, and cut out the decal with a razor while on the tape. Now you've got a masking template.

As always, you can see more here.

Love that model, did you use the photo etched parts that were available for it ?

Nope, not for this one. I've only been using them for the 1/72 VF-1 line.

Just another masterpiece !!. Thanks a lot for the hint on dealing with the lightning decal area and masking. I bought the 1/72 version (with HM missiles) and I was figuring out how to do the painting on that area. That is a beautiful build !!.

I bought the 1/72 version (with HM missiles) and I was figuring out how to do the painting on that area.

I've got that one too, as a present from my wife. Going to do an alternate color scheme on that one, though. Which one, I have no clue yet!

I've got that one too, as a present from my wife. Going to do an alternate color scheme on that one, though. Which one, I have no clue yet!

That idea sounds great, Jefuemon !!!. I was thinking a while ago to go with something related to the splinter camo patterns modern Russian fighters are displaying nowadays for another Hasegawa 1/72 YF-19, specifically the pattern used by the Su-35S that performed on MAKS 2011, but on different colors. You might want to try that approach.

I've always seen the 19 as a purebred of unsurpassed dogfighting capabilities, only flyable by the elite. That's why I always trend to draw it on my mind dressed in out-of-the-box camo patterns, totally away from the mandatory livery of any air force, and even showing off some highly visible colors or a great tail art on the rudders, like a CAG's fighter. Just my thoughts. :)

Edited by ivorysniper

What are the dimenisons on that valk (wing tip to wing tip, nose to feet is fine)?

Hope you don't mind metric, since that's all I gots

Length is almost 40 cm.

Width with wings folded is about 18.5 cm.

Wings extended is around 31 cm.

It's just about 1 cm too wide to fit in my display case in flight mode, so I have to display it with the wings in storage mode.

That's almost 16 inches long by almost 12 inches wide. That's quite a big valk. Now I understand why Yamato went with the 1/60 scale for their toys, they'd be to big to do anything with.

• 4 weeks later...