So now that Yamato is defunct.....

jvmacross

PT Valk Line  

56 members have voted

1. 1. If or when Arcadia resumes the PT valk line....would you want it to remain at 1/60 or would you be open to a different scale such as 1/72?

• No, keep it at 1/60....it is the scale to rule them all!
    • Yes, I want it rebooted at 1/72 or smaller scale....I'm wrong and I know it
    • I will buy Macross PT valks from Arcadia at any scale.....made a killing on the sale of my soul!

Hi everyone.

1/72 scale for Macross? No thanks....

I´ve got a Tornado model kit in 1/72, and it´s great because of the extra parts... but the "naked" Valkyrie is almost like a joke...

Putting side to side to my V1 VF-25s (yes... I have one and it´s not that bad as you may think) it feels too small. And it IS too small.

And that considering that "IRL" the VF-25 is almost 4 meters longer than the VF-1 in Fighter mode, and 3 meters higher in Battroid.... The VF-1 is too small for a decent 1/72 no doubt. Even in 1/60, side to side to the newer Valkyries, is small.

Vf-1 length: 14.23m - Height B mode: 12.68m

VF-25 length: 18.72m - Height B mode: 15.69m

1/60 for me, please..... Let´s hope Arcadia (or whoever) continues the trend...

Voted 1/60, of course. To play devil's advocate, the poll is a little unfair because we have a ton of examples of 1/60 Valks already. We have very little to no examples of the equivalent in 1/72...and I'm talkin about toys here so don't go comparing with model kits. Is it confirmation bias? I don't remember much from the one Psychology class I ever took.

I realize this is not a scientific poll...Jus' sayin'. Carry on :)

1/60 all the way. If it ain't broke, don't try to $%^# with it.

Seriously though, I find that all the fiddly bits of toys/models at the 1/72 scale to be too fragile and the nuances of detailing start to bleed off completely. Just think about small things like head lasers, gun barrels, vents, panel lines, detailing behind eye visors etc etc. All these things were the building blocks of the 1/48 line and what set it apart from all its peers. The entire 1/48 representation and all the design lessons learned were masterfully translated to the 1/60 line.

Added a poll regarding scale switching for the PT Valk line from Arcadia (if it does indeed resume)....Let's see how we really stand on the issue.... :rolleyes:

The argument was more about what it should've/could've been from Yamato rather than what is should be from Arcadia.

Am I the only one who will think that even if Yamato or Bandai makes a renewal of a renewal, people will buy it? It's just the matter of putting your old one on ebay and buying the latest and greatest version.

"If they make it, people will buy it"

Voted 1/60, of course. To play devil's advocate, the poll is a little unfair because we have a ton of examples of 1/60 Valks already. We have very little to no examples of the equivalent in 1/72...and I'm talkin about toys here so don't go comparing with model kits. Is it confirmation bias? I don't remember much from the one Psychology class I ever took.

I realize this is not a scientific poll...Jus' sayin'. Carry on :)

The argument was more about what it should've/could've been from Yamato rather than what is should be from Arcadia.

Yes...extremely biased....VF's at 1/60 is it for me and if there is any remote chance that Arcadia is even looking at this site...I just want to make sure they know what the people expect out of any continuation of their beloved PT Valk line... :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

Guest davidwhangchoi

even those who argue they have every item in this 1/60 scale lineup and will not just buy another re-paint in the same 1/60 mold, i think it's too soon to hear news of another scale after seeing the
vf-4g, vf-17, vf-19 s, kai released recently... it's obvious that we still need a 1/60 yf-19 renewal before having closure for many of us. as well as the remaining demand for those who missed the first run on some 1/60 vf-1's variants, reflected in the prices on ebay/yahoo auctions.

and though i have the entire 1/60 zero line, that seemed like it was a potential discussed stop for a renewal in the 1/60 scale.

i'm sure once the yf-19 renewal is satisfied, as well as a potential vf-4 flashback, perhaps we'll clamor for non hero valks which may need to be done in a 1/72 scale if needed, (i'm not buying a

$1000 1/60 battlepod or a 300+ one either, neither will many, so i think jenius has a point that a different scale may be needed to widen the offerings beyond the vf-1 mold)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

The zero line needs a v2 renewal badly. It's the worst macross line other than 1/72 macross plus line and the 1/60 ver 1 VF-1 line.

i wouldn't say it's that bad, if you got the refreshed packages with the non disintegrating parts. (though i have brought the latest releases with all the corrections, i ordered extras from shapeways, in case ;) )

Edited by davidwhangchoi

To be realistic, the only way another scale would appear from Arcadia is if the price of the current 1/60 series become so prohibitively expensive, that fans stop buying them or if there are no more Valkyrie types that will sell.

Won't stop me from arguing that 1/72 is a better scale size though. :)

Edited by Vifam7

To be realistic, the only way another scale would appear from Arcadia is if the price of the current 1/60 series become so prohibitively expensive, that fans stop buying them or if there are no more Valkyrie types that will sell.

:p And we won´t stop arguing with you ! Wich is a good thing, btw haha. :lol:

If I happen to run business in Arcadia I´d try to keep the company mouth as shut as possible to watch the market and check if there´s genuine interest in customers to keep buying the models. Not only the crazy people wich are willing to pay U$S 1000 for a VF-1... but the people who goes to the stores, primary in Japan. If there´s interest, I´ll let the stock runs out, and if the demand keeps rising, relaunching the line.

Of course, I don´t run business in Arcadia... :blink:

Please excuse my caveman-english, btw

i wouldn't say it's that bad, if you got the refreshed packages with the non disintegrating parts. (though i have brought the latest releases with all the corrections, i ordered extras from shapeways, in case ;) )

Actually the yf-19 and it's disintegrating joints is another one that needs a renewal. Haven't decided which is worse the zero valks or the yf-19.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Actually the yf-19 and it's disintegrating joints is another one that needs a renewal. Haven't decided which is worse the zero valks or the yf-19.

yeah, everyone agrees that's the one valk everyone loves and want to see released with the improvements of the fire kai, s,f, and patrol.

As one of yamato's first perfect transformation engineered design, the yf-19 has a lot of cult followers. even with the risk of crumbling joints, the old design are being brought up as i can't find any in the market at a fair price anymore. (even non safe releases)

aside from all the crumbling issues, the zero line, could use a few improvements. (vf-0)

but i really like the sv 51 ivanov the way it is right now. the mold looks pretty amazing in fighter mode. the color/shade of grey black was done really well. (i don't like all black as it usually doesn't work out, as the 1/48 anniversary looks bad) but they did the black right with the sv 51 ivanov and mold looks pretty close to the anime. (but it does feel complicated and some have got ones with floppy wings.)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

If I'm going to spend on new Valks from the Yamato builds, it will be primarily at 1/48. I1/60's are okay but not my preference. 1/72 is right out.

Then again, I'm mainly talking about the original series. I'm probably not likely to buy as much in the way of the newer series; my limited funds would go toward Mospeada,Transformers, and other hobbies first.

Edited by niomosy

Isn't the 1/60 line becoming prohibitively expensive exactly what we witnessed? I think people are just clamoring for the incumbent because it's the incumbent.

If we were talking about the Robotech universe than 1/32 is probably the best scale. If Robotech ever does get re-imagined I hope the scale of the vehicles gets addressed to make them more uniform so it too can have toys made in similar scales throughout the entire show. 1/60 is pretty much too small for Southern Cross or Mospeada, 1/72 is way out of the question, and anything larger than 1/60 doesn't really work for the original Macross series.

Edited by jenius

YF-19 by far, I think.. Fix the material problems with the VF-0, and it really doesn't have any issues compared with the 19. Even if it's an older design, they nailed it the first time around because the entire thing was computer generated to begin with.

The YF-19 really looks pitiful next to the newer VF-19 mold, and doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Naturally people are voting for the incumbent because that is what they know. Unfortunately there was never a 1/72 line that was released along side the 1/60 so that people could vote with their money so we may never really know. Anything that we think now is gonna be purely speculation...however, going by what is currently out there (most collections are majority 1/60), people are gonna vastly prefer 1/60 and they are gonna want it to continue.

If we're gonna play woulda-coulda-shoulda...1/72? Successful if released way back when? Maybe. Who knows? 1/72 released as things are the way they are now? Maybe...but not as likely because people are paying attention to their already big 1/60 collections from Yamato and Bandai. It's just the way it is.

Upon seeing the very first pics of the V2 1/60 VF-1's initial release, I was telling myself that they looked like a smaller version of their 1/48 counterpart and that it'd be a waste of money to start collecting the same things in a different scale. Six months later, I bought 2 V2 FP combos! So, I think I'm gonna hold off on saying whether I'm buying or not until after we've seen what and if ARCADIA is going to do w/ the MACROSS franchise.

I had a 1/72 Vf-11b. I didn't think it was that much different from a 1/60.

I think 1/60 fit the "mold" of premium adult toys like the Masterpiece line and is a good size. Any smaller and they start to get hard to display IMO.

I like small premium toys just because the engineering gets crazier and crazier. For example the TF Alternity line is awesome. There are just so many small parts. It's fun to mess with those. Especially since they are small enough to hold easily. Larger toys are sometimes more difficult to handle.

But those small TFs (I use them as an example because I don't have 1/72 Valkyrie Plamos from Bandai). have their shortcomings. The moving parts have to be a certain size otherwise it would be impossible to manipulate them and they are not as sturdy as bigger toys due to thinner material tolerances.

If those shortcomings can be overcome by a toy developer I would buy one to test the scale.

I had a 1/72 Vf-11b. I didn't think it was that much different from a 1/60.

differences between YAMATO's 1/72 and 1/60 VF-11B are as positively night and day as those of their 1/72 YF-19 and the 1/60 VF-19k/S/F/P...

Edited by Shaorin