Seen it twice now. Going to see it a third time when I get the chance. A very enjoyable film for me and I think that the home theater experience one will never match it in the cinema. I love the loud oppressive soundtrack. Nolan is a master of using Zimmer's soundtracks to "boost" the emotional impact of a film. It created the effect of having a pipe organ in the cinema blasting out the music. Brilliant.

I loved the typical Nolan ending as well, leaving the audience wanting a little bit more.

The cast was great, Hathaway clearly had more to do in this film than in the Batman one and that was good. It is a bit slow at the start but that is a little thing called "buildup" that most cinemagoers seem to get annoyed about these days. Seems that most films should be cranked up to 11 from the very start till the very finish to keep people with their short attention spans happy.

TARS!! I'm surprised by how much I liked those robots. Mainly it has to do with the writing of their lines and the delivery of the lines by the actors....but they really had personality.

Chris

TARS!! I'm surprised by how much I liked those robots. Mainly it has to do with the writing of their lines and the delivery of the lines by the actors....but they really had personality.

Chris

I thought they were ridiculous at first, but realized that just like spaceships,they don't necessarily have to have an aesthetically pleasing form in order to be acceptable; not every synthetic life form needs to look like Data or a Borg after all. I loved the TARS design...

I can't remember where in the movie it happened but another simple scene that just made me LOVE the robots was when they where just passing each other they said "hey CASE" "hey TARS" that simple exchange was just so cool to me.

Chris

I need to see this a second time in iMax since I only saw the regular version. There's a part where TARS or CASE kind of gallops out of the exploding landing pod that I want to see again. Any scene where they show those two in dynamic motion or delivering lines is gold :wub:

^Cause TARS and CASE were awesome characters. I wasn't a fan of the design at first, well not until that one scene on that one planet where someone needed to get from point A to point B very quickly - "those aren't mountains"

-b.

Watched this few days after it came out and yes, really loved the two robots. Not much design wise but they were definitely awesome "characters".

It's funny how the non human characters are getting all the attention. Maybe it's easier to forgive performances from non-anthropomorphic characters. R2-D2 is adored by everyone, and all he does is go beep boop and stuff.

I thought that the actress that played Coop's young daughter did an excellent job. She was really believable without being annoying in a Dakota Fanning way, if that makes any sense. I thought McConnaughey did a great job as a NASA pilot cut from the same cloth as the original Mercury and Apollo astronauts, who were more roughshod Navy and Air Force pilots than scientists. Nolan was aiming for a portrayal like the guys in The Right Stuff, and I think he got that.

I was disappointed in how fast

Wes Bentley's character was killed off. I liked his dialogue on Coop having to think bigger and beyond his own desires. The number of lines he was given could probably be counted on one hand!

Other than that, I'm fine with the Tessaract and what it entailed. I just wish they could have

not made Coop the gravity anomaly that interacted with Brand during their first trip through the wormhole.

They could have just left that ambiguous and it would've been more mysterious.

Was anyone bothered about how the

Plan A space station looked like a parking garage? I don't know how feasible it is to have your space station built out of reinforced concrete.

It just looked rather bland in my opinion.

Edited by Seven

I thought they were ridiculous at first, but realized that just like spaceships,they don't necessarily have to have an aesthetically pleasing form in order to be acceptable; not every synthetic life form needs to look like Data or a Borg after all. I loved the TARS design...

Me too at first I thought well they didn't try hard on the design the just look like four black Lego bricks, once I saw the interaction and how they slotted into the ships, I was reminded that arms and legs are not always that usefull, and in space you don't really need a front or back, or even to be nicely shaped. They kinda stole the show, the way I forget which it was eyed the broken version before asking if he could help fix it was, really good, emotion shown from a black box, reminded me a bit of 2001's HAL how the voice added with a great camera angle gave you the implied emotion from a face made of immovable plastic.

Finally got to watch this. Pretty good movie, although it's not quite the game changer that 2001 or Solaris were back in the day. I thought Matt Damon played his role quite well. I hated him, but kind of understood how he had gone through something that few humans in history ever had.

I woulda figured that whats-his-face on the orbiter for 23 years would've gone the way of Damon's character as well. He took isolation rather well...

How did he know that? I think he even said something to the effect of "I didn't think you were coming" or whatever. You're right though-some people would handle the situation differently, whether they knew someone was coming back or never again...

I woulda figured that whats-his-face on the orbiter for 23 years would've gone the way of Damon's character as well. He took isolation rather well...

He did mention that he "slept" for a while too, so he wasn't conscious for the entire 23 years.

He did mention that he "slept" for a while too, so he wasn't conscious for the entire 23 years.

Good point. And maybe TARS keeped him company for some of those years with good conversation lol...

In my mind, Interstellar's biggest flaw is that they didn't explain the science better, not dwelling on it mind you, but just a few lines here or there explaining more about the blackhole, about how the Ranger's engines work, just enough to quiet some of the science concerns.

Also, while I understand that they couldn't communicate in real time with the Lazarus crews through the wormhole, why couldn't they once they were through? With the exception of the water planet and its time dilation issues, sending radio communications to the surface should have been relatively easy. Just a plot hole I noticed when watching it, but then the movie would not have been as exciting.

Robots paralleling the Monolith, the wormhole paralleling the space bridge, the docking sequence remixing the Pan-Am Clipper docking.... feels like this was 2001 but with a plot. Didn't grab me hard enough to make me want to go see it again but I thought it was one of the best exploration films I've seen. The Presentation was certainly incredible enough to blow my socks off.

I read originally that TARS and CASE were supposed to be humanoid. I'm glad they didn't end that way. The Robot designs are fantastic!

Also... apparently the spaceships weren't CGI. They were all physical models. Wow!

I just took my son to see this in IMAX and we both loved it. Great film and a fantastic IMAX experience. The subwoofers in that theater were epic! Definitely a go see in the theater kind of movie. The speakers on my TV would probably get blown if I tried to watch this movie at home.

Just caught the IMAX showing here in SF (finally landed some good seats in the middle) and the visuals still blew me away. It was extra loud and I think I heard the dialogue easier my first time around in a regular theatre.

Edited by xrentonx

Question for you you guys hat have seen it more than once or can just remember. What was the point of Matt Damon's character, and the others who left with him, mission? They were just supposed to go out into the unknown, hopefully find a planet that would be inhabital and just land and wait for a hopefull retrieval? If the planet they would land on showed promise they would send out a "ping" but if not then what? "Oh well, thanks for trying, but your fraked" because the couldn't go anywhere else?? Why not just send robots instead? I honestly can't remember if this was discussed more in the movie but I've been wondering about it lately.

Chris

Question for you you guys hat have seen it more than once or can just remember. What was the point of Matt Damon's character, and the others who left with him, mission? They were just supposed to go out into the unknown, hopefully find a planet that would be inhabital and just land and wait for a hopefull retrieval? If the planet they would land on showed promise they would send out a "ping" but if not then what? "Oh well, thanks for trying, but your fraked" because the couldn't go anywhere else?? Why not just send robots instead? I honestly can't remember if this was discussed more in the movie but I've been wondering about it lately.

Chris

I thought it was for the irony aspect. Here was this guy, who had the charisma to lead a bunch of people into the unknown, with very little chance of survival, who couldn't handle the possibility that he wasn't the one. There was all this admiration for Dr. Mann, and much respect, and thus it's a bit of a shock to see things unfold the way they did in the movie.

Hence, the lies, and the other stuff that happens in the movie.

However, his character arc reminds us of our humanity, and the potential to fall.

Mann explains the "Why not robots" thing by saying they aren't able to adapt and think off-the-cuff...improvise...that sort of stuff. Which is weird because of TARS...

Edited by xrentonx

• 3 months later...

Bah. It was a fantastically imagined movie and I'm going to enjoy all of its wonderfully flawed bits on blu ray, time and time again...

Yeah, that's kinda it right there. A friend of mine recently asked me what I thought of the movie, and I told her I thought it was interestingly bad. I was glad to have seen it, but I'll never watch it again.