I am a weird macross fan...

Gakken85

Just part of the movie. I might go back and give the show more of a chance.

To requote myself from the first page:

....Then back to Macross 7 and Macross 2 When you run out of other Macross stuff to watch.

Yep. Proceed onwards to Frontier good sir.

(Susume, Furonteia!)

And get a good translation, because the plot does get complex when it comes to shady conspiracy stuff. Bad subs make it hard to follow.

[Central Anime] does a good detailed job of it.

So. Here is my breakdown of viewing the first episode of Maross Frontier:

1. Story:: A+ so far. I already felt an immediate connection with the characters after just one episode. It seems to capture the original archetypes without being ham-fisted about it. Alto is Hikru, Ozama is Roy, Sheryl is Minmay, Luca is Max, and Grace as Misa. I felt immediately comfortable with all the characters, like I knew them already, yet there was room for personal growth for new story telling for each new role. It's comfortable, but not lazy. Alto isn't Hikru obviously. He's much more willful and sure of his desires. I also really enjoyed Ranka. She was cute without being fooking annoying. I also loved her little squishy phone guy. How cool! haha.

2. Art:: A. Fantastic. It was clean and visually stunning. Everything felt high budget and new, without being too derivative of current anime trends like 7/+ were. Again, I immediately felt comfortable here as a Macross fan, but excited with the updated visuals.

I'm not really a fan of Anime. If that makes sense. I love the 80's shows/classics and the updates of my favorites, but I don't keep up with the newer kids shows, or current trends. There are some modern classics to be sure, and fantastic uses of the medium since the 80's, but I do see it as a medium to tell a story and not a genre that I love, as a lot of the content out there is crap or aimed at children/teens. After 7 and + I was a bit skeptical on my journey that I would feel "left out" as a fan. Thankfully Frontier is providing the goods.

3. Mecha/Valk design :: A++The Mecha design is fantastic. It made me wanting a Cannon fodder robot drone toy! and those are just the Canon fodder! Keep in mind this is the first time I've seen any of these valkyrie animated, or at all beyond the Bandai boxes. I've never owned a Bandai reneweal either, though I do have two pre-ordered from the new re-issues. It has a Sci-fi feel, while retaining all the beats you want in a valkyrie design. I can't wait to see more as the story unfolds. I also felt like the valkyrie are part of the story, instead of a commercial for toys.

I would also like to say that I was blown away by the ending fight scene inside the city dome. It was like a giant Robo monster fight! I loved the scale and nature of the enemy monsters. I think that, honestly, that is something that Macross has never really captured. Even with the original TV show and DYRL it never felt like giant robots so much as extended suits. Which is fine, as the valkyrie isn't meant to be a clunky mecha. But with DYRL and the Tv show, during any fight the Batroids were shorter than the buildings. I also enjoyed this in Zero... there was more scale, though Zero didn't have any city fights.

So again, this was after one episode. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series and the movies. I would have to say that Frontier seem superior in every area to Plus and 7. I never felt like those shows were Macross. They just came off as random cartoons with Macross like elements to cash in on the "craze" as it were. Too dated in their time and lacking the lasting universal appeal of true Macross storytelling.

Edited by Gakken85

I finished Frontier a little while ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series. I agree with everyone who said that Frontier is the first series that really does justice as a sequel to the original SDFM series.

Without being too spoiler-ish, I will say that I am amused that you picked Grace to be the Misa counterpart. I'm sure you'll revise that opinion after watching more episodes. :)

So. Here is my breakdown of viewing the first episode of Maross Frontier:

1. Story:: A+ so far. I already felt an immediate connection with the characters after just one episode. It seems to capture the original archetypes without being ham-fisted about it. Alto is Hikru, Ozama is Roy, Sheryl is Minmay, Luca is Max, and Grace as Misa. I felt immediately comfortable with all the characters, like I knew them already, yet there was room for personal growth for new story telling for each new role. It's comfortable, but not lazy. Alto isn't Hikru obviously. He's much more willful and sure of his desires. I also really enjoyed Ranka. She was cute without being fooking annoying. I also loved her little squishy phone guy. How cool! haha.

2. Art:: A. Fantastic. It was clean and visually stunning. Everything felt high budget and new, without being too derivative of current anime trends like 7/+ were. Again, I immediately felt comfortable here as a Macross fan, but excited with the updated visuals.

I'm not really a fan of Anime. If that makes sense. I love the 80's shows/classics and the updates of my favorites, but I don't keep up with the newer kids shows, or current trends. There are some modern classics to be sure, and fantastic uses of the medium since the 80's, but I do see it as a medium to tell a story and not a genre that I love, as a lot of the content out there is crap or aimed at children/teens. After 7 and + I was a bit skeptical on my journey that I would feel "left out" as a fan. Thankfully Frontier is providing the goods.

3. Mecha/Valk design :: A++The Mecha design is fantastic. It made me wanting a Cannon fodder robot drone toy! and those are just the Canon fodder! Keep in mind this is the first time I've seen any of these valkyrie animated, or at all beyond the Bandai boxes. I've never owned a Bandai reneweal either, though I do have two pre-ordered from the new re-issues. It has a Sci-fi feel, while retaining all the beats you want in a valkyrie design. I can't wait to see more as the story unfolds. I also felt like the valkyrie are part of the story, instead of a commercial for toys.

I would also like to say that I was blown away by the ending fight scene inside the city dome. It was like a giant Robo monster fight! I loved the scale and nature of the enemy monsters. I think that, honestly, that is something that Macross has never really captured. Even with the original TV show and DYRL it never felt like giant robots so much as extended suits. Which is fine, as the valkyrie isn't meant to be a clunky mecha. But with DYRL and the Tv show, during any fight the Batroids were shorter than the buildings. I also enjoyed this in Zero... there was more scale, though Zero didn't have any city fights.

So again, this was after one episode. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series and the movies. I would have to say that Frontier seem superior in every area to Plus and 7. I never felt like those shows were Macross. They just came off as random cartoons with Macross like elements to cash in on the "craze" as it were. Too dated in their time and lacking the lasting universal appeal of true Macross storytelling.

Macross 7 is 9000% Macross. Don't hate just because the spiritia is too strong for you!

I would have to say that Frontier seem superior in every area to Plus and 7. I never felt like those shows were Macross. They just came off as random cartoons with Macross like elements to cash in on the "craze" as it were. Too dated in their time and lacking the lasting universal appeal of true Macross storytelling.

I'm not sure there has ever been a Macross "craze" (except maybe post-Frontier)... and I dunno. Overall, for me, each of the various Macross shows has a different "feel" to any of the others.

So I guess my question is, what is "true Macross storytelling" to you?

So. Here is my breakdown of viewing the first episode of Macross Frontier:

Told ya :) Just gets better. The fight scenes you have seen so far aren't even bad ass comparatively to what comes later, glad you are blown away already.

Alto is Hikru, Ozama is Roy, Sheryl is Minmay, Luca is Max, and Grace as Misa

And that's just another thing about Mac F. You think you know, and it feels familiar, but you are almost always pleasantly surprised - and it never feels forced.

For max enjoyment watching the show:

• When someone is drawn completely as a single color, that means something. It's not artistic license; something specific is happening. Sometimes the characters don't even notice. Make sure you do.
  • If someone makes a decision, step back and think from that characters perspective, and what they are experiencing before you judge. (heck that should go for any complex show)

And make sure to frame-by frame some of those combat scenes, they are so detailed and so so fast.

Also check out the Ex-Gear flight suit when it ejects from or enters a cockpit. The suit and wings actually transform into the cockpit seat and controls, and it works physically. How do you do it Kawamori-san?

Edited by Kaldar5

I'm not sure there has ever been a Macross "craze" (except maybe post-Frontier)... and I dunno. Overall, for me, each of the various Macross shows has a different "feel" to any of the others.

So I guess my question is, what is "true Macross storytelling" to you?

The original story that started it all.

It's the archetype.

Macross 7 is 9000% Macross. Don't hate just because the spiritia is too strong for you!

It's 9000% moe. haha

Told ya :) Just gets better. The fight scenes you have seen so far aren't even bad ass comparatively to what comes later, glad you are blown away already.

And that's just another thing about Mac F. You think you know, and it feels familiar, but you are almost always pleasantly surprised - and it never feels forced.

For max enjoyment watching the show:

• When someone is drawn completely as a single color, that means something. It's not artistic license; something specific is happening. Sometimes the characters don't even notice. Make sure you do.
  • If someone makes a decision, step back and think from that characters perspective, and what they are experiencing before you judge. (heck that should go for any complex show)

And make sure to frame-by frame some of those combat scenes, they are so detailed and so so fast.

Also check out the Ex-Gear flight suit when it ejects from or enters a cockpit. The suit and wings actually transform into the cockpit seat and controls, and it works physically. How do you do it Kawamori-san?

Thanks I'll keep an eye out.

The original story that started it all.

It's the archetype.

But, the original story, to me, is semi-serious, mostly-comedic goofiness, with some pretty awesome robot action thrown in sometimes.

On that basis, Macross 7 might be similar.

So... can you be more specific...? What's the "original story" to YOU...?

Macross is the original story. That's just a chronological fact. All things spring from The Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Yes, it had some lighter moments, but it didn't have hair metal rejects playing silly guitars WHILE they flew a giant Ronald McDonald fighter. Not to mention some small bleating child being consistently annoying and making me want to stab my ears.

I don't think they are similar at all.

But if you do, and you enjoy 7, more power to you.

Macross is the original story. That's just a chronological fact. All things spring from The Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Yes, it had some lighter moments, but it didn't have hair metal rejects playing silly guitars WHILE they flew a giant Ronald McDonald fighter. Not to mention some small bleating child being consistently annoying and making me want to stab my ears.

I don't think they are similar at all.

But if you do, and you enjoy 7, more power to you.

That doesn't really answer my question... You told me what "true Macross storytelling" ISN'T...but what IS it...?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I really want to know your answer.

EDIT: And I don't think I said they were similar. In fact, I think I said the exact opposite. I positing that YOU are saying they're similar.

Edited by Gubaba

I think, over the course of this long post I've laid it out clear enough.

No Moe! haha

Macross 7 doesn't really have any moe (arguably). Macross Plus has none (inarguably). Macross Frontier has a fair amount (inarguably).

I'm not sure what you're saying here... I know I'm asking a huge favor here, but if you could just come out and EXPLAIN your reasoning, I'd be grateful. Honestly.

Edited by Gubaba

Hey c'mon on now. It was Junya Ishigaki that designed the Ex-Gear. He's a long time unsung pro.

Whoops! My bad.

Thanks for the correction.

Macross 7 doesn't really have any moe (arguably). Macross Plus has none (inarguably). Macross Frontier has a fair amount (inarguably).

I'm not sure what you're saying here... I know I'm asking a huge favor here, but if you could just come out and EXPLAIN your reasoning, I'd be grateful. Honestly.

Weirdest thing I have seen on the internet today:

User named Gubaba claims there is arguably no moe in Mac 7.

Named after a alien mouse pet that mimics the expressions of an excitable young pink haired girl wearing a small one piece swimsuit that gets frustrated all the time and "needs protecting" by nearly everyone around her in Macross 7

:blink::lol:

---

Macross Frontier episode 8:

Yeah we could do without it, but just one off episode doesn't ruin an entire series. It just may annoy you if you hate pointless fanservice.

Edited by Kaldar5

Whoops! My bad.

Thanks for the correction.

Weirdest thing I have seen on the internet today:

User named Gubaba claims there is arguably no moe in Mac 7.

Named after a alien mouse pet that mimics the expressions of a young pink haired girl that gets frustrated all the time in Macross 7

:blink::lol:

I don't think of Mylene as being a terribly moe character... she's not very clumsy, she doesn't call anyone "onii-chan," she doesn't look like she's five... if anything, she's more tsundere.

I suppose you could make the case for it (which is why I said "arguably"), but I don't really see it.

Edited by Gubaba

I don't think of Mylene as being a terribly moe character... she's not very clumsy, she doesn't call anyone "onii-chan," she doesn't look like she's five... if anything, she's more tsundere.

I suppose you could make the case for it (which is why I said "arguably"), but I don't really see it.

We have had the young looking character archetype ever since Shammy.

And really, looks 5? Honestly? Calls her adopted brother "brother"? How terrible.

Edited by Kaldar5

Huh? Who am I hating on...?

I dunno, Luca? He could put some big boy pants on. :lol:

No offense meant to you or Mylene; I'm not a Mac 7 hater, it just surprised me for someone to say that. Personally I feel there is lots of Moe in Mac 7, and that's not a bad thing by any means. Mylene is a great character. (Even flower girl)

Maybe you have a very strict definition of moe, (such as shows identical to K-on) that's cool with me, and some people use it that way.

I'm used to discussions with people that overall have a looser definition perhaps that very much includes tsundere.

Lum from Urusei yatsura is considered the very first "Moe" character, and she is the tsundere type moe.

I'll just chalk it up to differences in translation and word usage. Didn't mean to attack ya.

Let's just help out and enjoy stories from a new Macross fan as they share the excitement of watching stuff for the first time, not devolve into yet another character trashing fest. I can't take another 30 years of it. ;)

Edited by Kaldar5

I dunno, Luca? He could put some big boy pants on. :lol:

No offense meant to you or Mylene; I'm not a Mac 7 hater, it just surprised me for someone to say that. Personally I feel there is lots of Moe in Mac 7, and that's not a bad thing by any means. Mylene is a great character. (Even flower girl)

Maybe you have a very strict definition of moe, (such as shows identical to K-on) that's cool with me, and some people use it that way.

I'm used to discussions with people that overall have a looser definition perhaps that very much includes tsundere.

Lum from Urusei yatsura is considered the very first "Moe" character, and she is the tsundere type moe.

I'll just chalk it up to differences in translation and word usage. Didn't mean to attack ya.

Let's just help out and enjoy stories from a new Macross fan as they share the excitement of watching stuff for the first time, not devolve into yet another character trashing fest. I can't take another 30 years of it. ;)

Yeah, I finally realized that you thought I was referring to Ranka. I wasn't, I was just listing my definition of moe. Anyway, I like Ranka. And I don't think she looks like she's five, nor is she clumsy.

Yeah, I finally realized that you thought I was referring to Ranka. I wasn't, I was just listing my definition of moe. Anyway, I like Ranka. And I don't think she looks like she's five, nor is she clumsy.

Wears hippo hoodie-footie jammies, trips on sprinklers, bangs head on microphone, falls on stage...

Just sayin' :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got up to Episode 4. It's seems to be picking up all the same beats from SDF but rather quickly.

Really enjoying it so far though.

Lots of... Boobs in this show. for sure. haha

Edited by Gakken85