New Yamato addict...

plastik

I'm a huge fan of the series but have always been intimidated by the sheer amount of information out there. Not to mention the many different models, versions and renewals. I've been lurking macrossworld for almost a year gathering as much info as I can before making my first purchase. I've read the entire thread on broken shoulders and Bp8, read reviews, watched youtube vids and looked at pictures of boxes and safe lists. Anyways I finally took the plunge and picked up a pair of 1/48 Yamatos, a Vf-1s Roy Focker and a Vf-1j Ichijo Hikaru. They should be here in a few days. Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed or "Yamato'ed"

Edited by plastik

You'll be ok. I own a fu_ckton of Yamato acquired over a very long period of time and can honestly say I've never been "Yamato'ed". Enjoy! :)

Edited by xrentonx

I was going to ask how much discretionary spending you can do and which of the various shows are your favorite? If you feel like blowing a lot of money HK Collectibles has a great sale going on right now. Hikaru VF-1S, VF-11B, VF-17S, VF-19S, Millia & Gamlin VF-22S's all at great prices. That's a pretty good spread of different Valk types really.

...Anyways I finally took the plunge and picked up a pair of 1/48 Yamatos, a Vf-1s Roy Focker and a Vf-1j Ichijo Hikaru...

Where did you get the VF-1J from? I'm in the market for one for a custom I've got planned, but can't find any for less than $230 + shipping.

i lucked out. my friend got them for me from a collector who had them in storage. they're apparently brand new in box!

Luck you, and welcome to the game!

I'll probably just pick up Max's version that I found for pretty cheap.

As for the 1/48 super strike kit, they're pretty hard to find these days, and if you do manage to locate a set, they usually go for a fairly hefty premium.

I think the real trick is doing all of your research, and it seems like you've been doing just that. Most toys have at least one or two known issues, but as long as you know what you're going into from the outset, you can usually avoid them or preemptively fix the problem or something to that degree. I've only recently started buying these myself, but so far so good!

I'm a huge fan of the series but have always been intimidated by the sheer amount of information out there. Not to mention the many different models, versions and renewals. I've been lurking macrossworld for almost a year gathering as much info as I can before making my first purchase. I've read the entire thread on broken shoulders and Bp8, read reviews, watched youtube vids and looked at pictures of boxes and safe lists. Anyways I finally took the plunge and picked up a pair of 1/48 Yamatos, a Vf-1s Roy Focker and a Vf-1j Ichijo Hikaru. They should be here in a few days. Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed or "Yamato'ed"

Join the club. Bought a low viz way back (fell in love with it the moment I saw it) and then completely left the scene until last month. Now I am trying to complete (start and finish?) my 1/48 collection and it is extremely painful to my wallet, not to mention having to go to a whole bunch of sources worldwide to find everything in the condition I want.

I don't think going 1/60 makes things much easier; most of them aren't available anymore at retail and the secondary market prices are just as jacked up, if not more so, than those for 1/48. Plus, and I know it's just opinion, but the 1/60s (other than Zero) can't hold a candle to the gravitas of the 1/48.

btw, I have found anymoon,com as well as this site to be invaluable as I was able to get (mostly) back up to speed in days.

Finally, Yamato collecting=bend over. I hope you have a good amount of (truly) disposable income.

This is a dangerous hobby on your wallet. Hope you are prepared to build a small homeless shelter with the boxes you get from Yamato! :)

...So that's why they keep insisting on shipping everything in boxes that are two sizes too big! They were just trying to be thoughtful, help a bro out a little...

Join the club. Bought a low viz way back (fell in love with it the moment I saw it) and then completely left the scene until last month. Now I am trying to complete (start and finish?) my 1/48 collection and it is extremely painful to my wallet, not to mention having to go to a whole bunch of sources worldwide to find everything in the condition I want.

I don't think going 1/60 makes things much easier; most of them aren't available anymore at retail and the secondary market prices are just as jacked up, if not more so, than those for 1/48. Plus, and I know it's just opinion, but the 1/60s (other than Zero) can't hold a candle to the gravitas of the 1/48.

btw, I have found anymoon,com as well as this site to be invaluable as I was able to get (mostly) back up to speed in days.

Finally, Yamato collecting=bend over. I hope you have a good amount of (truly) disposable income.

Well, the way I see it, many people go out and spend this kind of money to get some joy out of it right? and come back home with just memories. (or an empty wallet) On the other hand, I find joy every morning on my way to work at 5 am, when i walk out the door ,past my small,humble yet growing collection. When i get back from work , its still there!! So maybe I've grown up a bit and I'm tired of the club/bar scene, going out and spending half my paycheck, but i know at any given moment i can turn around and put my whole collection up for sale anywhere and get a couple of thousand dollars in a heartbeat! lol, of course i would never forgive myself for doing it but its nice to know that i could at any given time or in case of an emergency or maybe a new hobby......(I highly doubt it..; I see this more and more everyday as a small rewarding "investment".....

Nice Stash there Plastik!!! Now all you need is the rest of the complete collection, like 15-20 figure stands, and a couple of Ikea Detolfs and you are set!!! lol

Edited by erikos0311

so I've been on a quest to find a vf-0s and Bandai's vf-25f and discovering that these are impossible to find and come with a high price tag. Did they have low production or something?

well IMO, the VF0's are crap. Loose and floppy, Holding out for a V2 release of these in the future.

I bought a VF-0S and the Ghoost Booster and it was a terrible toy IMO. Wouldn't even stay tight in jet mode.

VF-25 is not as bad, but still has floppy joints and the VF25F yellows easy IMO, V1's are pretty easy to snag, Renewals are easier to find, only at 450$ and up. Anything under that is pure lady luck.

I'd hold out for another release of both, before paying the money, and in the VF-0's case, for a renewal version.

This is a dangerous hobby on your wallet. Hope you are prepared to build a small homeless shelter with the boxes you get from Yamato! :)

Or an insurance plan in case your wife/girlfriend/mom decide to beat you senseless for spending so much money on a piece of modular plastic :lol:

Looks like I won't be going out this month....

Solid haul. I happen to have both of those 1/48s coming in this month as well. Let's just say my wallet is beyond being able to feel pain :ohmy:

well IMO, the VF0's are crap. Loose and floppy, Holding out for a V2 release of these in the future.

I bought a VF-0S and the Ghoost Booster and it was a terrible toy IMO. Wouldn't even stay tight in jet mode.

VF-25 is not as bad, but still has floppy joints and the VF25F yellows easy IMO, V1's are pretty easy to snag, Renewals are easier to find, only at 450$ and up. Anything under that is pure lady luck.

I'd hold out for another release of both, before paying the money, and in the VF-0's case, for a renewal version.

According to anymoon, if you need to get a VF-0S, then that's the version to get. I guess they never got it right after all.

kind of developed a lingering bad attitude towards the VF-1 FAST PACK system myself,

as, for a good period there, in the latter half of the 1990's, FAST PACK equipped VF-1 kits

were all i could ever seem to find anywhere.

i had wanted the ARII/BANDAI 1/100 VF-1S and BANDAI 1/100 VF-2SS variable kits for years there,

but never found either available, and, even if i had, both kits forced one into build-up as FAST PACK variants only,

despite how simple it would have been to include option parts for standard configuration.

granted, BANDAI's "B-CLUB" did indeed produce a set of standard config resin option parts for the -2SS,

but in the pre-internet (for me) days of the '90s, how was i to know such a thing existed, let alone hope to even find a copy?

and finding the single, first ever variable VF-1 kit i ever obtained, a 15th Anniv. 1/72 VF-1J MAX T.V.,

was a total confidential shot in the dark...

Edited by Shaorin

Man I just joined this hobby wow its expensive! So worth it though. I just ordered a vf-1s TV version after finishing sdf macross and its the Best Macross series so far. Ill admit it was slow at fist but it just sucked me into the void. I really hope they rerelease these kits becasue it would be a shame to see such quality disappear from macross fans.

Now I need a vf-1j and a sdf-1 macross.

Man I just joined this hobby wow its expensive! So worth it though. I just ordered a vf-1s TV version after finishing sdf macross and its the Best Macross series so far. Ill admit it was slow at fist but it just sucked me into the void. I really hope they rerelease these kits becasue it would be a shame to see such quality disappear from macross fans.

Welcome to the club... the empty wallet club :p

Yea, you need the vf-1j and a vf-1a as well for the sdf macross! haha That was what happen to me after I got the vf-1s fokker.