MACROSS 30: Hints & Tips

Tochiro

Hi guys I'm back onto this topic and I've collected lots of parts for the VF-19 Ravens and the other level three valks and its not saying i have enough parts which I have 1000 from the past few weeks can any one help me?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm repeatedly having my butt handed to me on the Mission 3-5 boss. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the damned little guys that seem to endlessly spawn and mess up my targeting the remaining horns and eggs.

That the stupid big floating bug that shoots missles everywhere,then when it opens up it spawns heaps of little bugs and has a one hit kill laser? lol...yeah hate that bastard. causes me much pain and frustration.

Edited by Vepariga

I just got this game, and no, I haven't read the last 13 pages, but holy hell, I have no idea how you guys manage to play through this. I have my wife sitting next to me translating and I think she's getting a little fed up with me.

• 2 weeks later...

After playing for 2wks (off and on) and thanks to my 12yr son. We have completed the game and now we have unlocked "Ultra-Hard" and the YF-30. But my "go to" Valk is my Isamu YF-19 III, by son loves his VB-6 III. Enjoy!!

Wish the game had split screen mode, so could play together with my son at the same time.

Graham

Same here. Wish they could of added a split screen so I could play with my nephew.

• 1 month later...

Okay... I figure this is the right place to ask for a bit of a tip on the Vanquish races.

's there a particular VF y'all would recommend for Vanquish races? I'm not too far into the game yet, and I'm having trouble hitting the time targets for certain blueprints and so on with the planes I have. Any pointers would be grand.

Okay... I figure this is the right place to ask for a bit of a tip on the Vanquish races.

's there a particular VF y'all would recommend for Vanquish races? I'm not too far into the game yet, and I'm having trouble hitting the time targets for certain blueprints and so on with the planes I have. Any pointers would be grand.

Well for me, I've been using Isamu's YF-19 with FP and I've managed to win majority of the races. I've found that for most there's a pattern that you must follow in order to get the necessary time. You can say I "cheated" cause when the race starts, I pause the game and look at the layout, lol. But that's how I've managed to get all of the VF-25s armor. Well good luck.

Well for me, I've been using Isamu's YF-19 with FP and I've managed to win majority of the races. I've found that for most there's a pattern that you must follow in order to get the necessary time. You can say I "cheated" cause when the race starts, I pause the game and look at the layout, lol. But that's how I've managed to get all of the VF-25s armor. Well good luck.

Something with a bit more agility and grunt in the engine then... the max-tuned VF-0S Skull Leader type I was using definitely won't cut it.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Had my copy of the game end of last week.

Haven't had the time to play that much so far, I've been mainly messing around the map with fighters who, for no reason, wanted me down, I also had to teach respect to some Pirate SpaceCrafts that prevented me from entering cities (I left some aside because I've heard they could be quest parts) and there comes the very n00b question, the one that'll make you laugh:

AutoLocking enemies is great but... How the Vajra do we UNlock the targets??!

I mean, I don't mind destroying one or two enemies on the way to collect some items but since the auto lock automatically locks (fancy that) the next target, collecting the elements or just escaping is a real pain in the "somewhere-it-may-hurt".

I've tried all buttons, even double tapping the lock button with no success, the only solution I've found so far is to change into fighter and go far away, away your radar range you've been improving, spending precious TP for nothing. Of course when you get back the little colored dots are gone.

Any idea on what to do?

I haven't tried C control type, I assume I'm playing with A type (PSP like) since I figure B type wasn't that easy to perform accurate dashes (but I prefered the use of the gunpod on B, much more interesting).

Too much talk for me: how to unlock enemies without having to turn them down?

Thanks a lot ^_^

Edit: I know there's a translation guide, I threw a quick eye on it today, but is someone planning on making/releasing an English patch that could be used on CFWs' PS3?

... If only I knew how to do... That could be of great help for the community.

Edited by Loute

Wish there was a translation patch, too, but trust me, you get used to it before you know it. Soon you'll only be needing to look up the quests in the guide, but that will become second nature, too.

And I also really encourage getting used to either type B or C. I'm pretty sure you can unlock in PSP controls by just holding the button down... Or holding Guard and then pressing Lock.

But with the other two types, you lock on and off seamlessly whenever you want by holding or letting go of Lock. Which also is extremely useful because you can do it even when there are no enemies, to strafe in any direction in battroid or especially gerwalk, facing towards the camera. Good in cave areas and picking up items. It also only locks on to what you can see, so you can face away from enemies and strafe away to pick up stuff.

Of course, the other two control modes also offer manual aim assist. It's such a nice little intuitive touch. Leading your shots manually is much more effective (and fun). And I'm not sure how scope mode works with type A, but it can be extremely useful for damaging the main body and getting headshots on enemies, plus leading gunpod and sniper shots from very long range.

I went into the game expecting to use the PSP controls that I'm used to, but it's actually an 'easy mode' control setting in Macross 30...

tl;dr Type A controls can unlock, it was either hold Lock or Guard > Lock, but I really, really urge you to become accustomed to Type B or C for a fuller experience. I think Type C is best, personally.

Edited by Claxus

Thanks Claxus for the tip :-)

I've made a few quests yesterday, decided to force myself on Type C at the end of my game session and thus spent 10 minutes learning -or at least trying to learn- the controls.

Coming from the PSP where I (overplayed) the 3 games, trying to get a "seamless" and swift actions rather caught me burst out of laughing, especially when I saw my Orange VF-0A w/ ghost boosters (Orange Valk! frakk yeaaaaah) constantly changing shape instead of changing direction :D (I'm such a failure sometimes)

I don't mind, I'll overcome that but I'll need to practice "a bit" more before I can go on a dungeon, juste like a real Valk Pilot ;-) .

Thanks again.

Regarding the English patch, I meant it for the menus but also for the plot since I actually understand most of it (I've been studying Japanese long long long ago - brings me almost 20 years back) but I miss the subtility of the story and can also miss an important element.

That being said, it's still a good game I'm having fun with it.

Hey Loute,

I'm actively playing the game myself (just about to finish the game on the 1st run through) and the biggest piece of advice that I can give you is to get intimately familiar with that translation/working aide. Pick 'n choose your valks of preference as you go and upgrade them as you go - you won't have TP room for everything so use the translation guide to pick the capabilities that you want that particular valk to do at the end of the day, IE: fast and manouverable with an upgraded gunpod and maybe missile type 2 is a great combo. Rinse 'n repeat as you unlock the valks that you want - don't bother with the ones that you're not interested in.

I also suggest Control Type B.

When you unlock fast packs and the like for whatever valk, ensure that you also select them for your wingman whenever possible as you'll level up those fast packs twice as fast (sometimes 3 times as fast in some cases depending on how you kit your guys out).

Don't forget to start upgrading your wingman early on as well - I let that aspect slide for almost 2 chapters.

After a while (with the translation guide in hand) the gameplay becomes 2nd nature and you can focus on the missile spamming killy goodness that is Macross.

Food for thought.

Edited by Deadeye_281

Thanks to all advices.

I managed to go C type and became eventually quite accurate at controlling my Valk (just the anti-missile action that I found to be less easy to use when spamming missiles due to position of the fingers).

I also discovered (everybody knows but me) the possibility of headshot another mecha, very useful in dungeons where enemies can be waiting for you "en masse", helps reducing the flock before they notice your presence.

Will use the guide for secondary quests anyway. ^_^

Having spent 7 hours on it already, I can say that i'm disappointed with the ingame musics, they sound like a Japanese RPG so far but they would also be ok for whatever Japanese RPG we could play, I don't really find any "macross touch" in it. I'm sure it's because of the copyrighted material but still, they could have done some better music and sound arrangements for Deck /Hangar /maps /cities (laugh trophy awarded to the shop that you quit with the sound of a squeaky wooden door).

Edited by Loute

The music is very ambient, for better or for worse. It does help the vocal songs really stand out. And I smile a little in caves... The music there is so dungeon crawly, and when bosses appear, it's so JRPG boss-like.

It kinda is disappointing for a Macross game, but at the same time the music has its charm in being so typical JRPG style. It makes it feel a little old school.

As for headshots, I think it's pretty crazy with a sniper. Switch to zoom mode and aim over your target. The sniper shot bends accurately and will always drop onto your enemies... Doing massive damage. For fighters, aim above their nose. You do have to stop to do it though... But it's very lethal. Just don't do it at maximum range. Sniping full-range at enemies in the game is cheating because they can't seem to respond if you're too far :p

I just started playing the game recently. How do you upgrade the rank of the VF?

I have 4 VF and they are all at rank 1, & I have been tuning it. thanks

You need to get plans for the next ranks (2 & 3) for each valk and respective equipment. Then, you will need to farm the parts needed to construct it.

I was playing the base where Rod says "There is no point in living in a world without Mia!" and then Rion/Leon says "OK, let's take this outside, yo", so I get ready for them to duke it out and then the game froze on the loading screen. <_<

I was playing the base where Rod says "There is no point in living in a world without Mia!" and then Rion/Leon says "OK, let's take this outside, yo", so I get ready for them to duke it out and then the game froze on the loading screen. <_<

Ah, that sucks. It's been ages since M30 froze up on me.

OK, thank god for Sunday. It gave me quite a bit of time to progress.... until the return of that end-of-area huge alien queen boss thing. Argh, that one-shot-kill laser..!! I think I remember somebody (VF-15 Banshee, maybe?) said to use Ranka to freeze it, and then shoot the horns, eggs and then boom. I will try that next time, I didn't have Ranka equipped that time, and since there is no save point, I wasn't going to do all the way back to the ship to re-equip and then do then entire dungeon all over again just for that.

Meanwhile, I managed to get the YF-21 and if I can manage to tune it up, hopefully it will be effective against that boss, what with those arm-lasercannons and pinpoint-barrier (will that protect me against the one-hit-you're-dead-haha alien laser??).

OK, thank god for Sunday. It gave me quite a bit of time to progress.... until the return of that end-of-area huge alien queen boss thing. Argh, that one-shot-kill laser..!! I think I remember somebody (VF-15 Banshee, maybe?) said to use Ranka to freeze it, and then shoot the horns, eggs and then boom. I will try that next time, I didn't have Ranka equipped that time, and since there is no save point, I wasn't going to do all the way back to the ship to re-equip and then do then entire dungeon all over again just for that.

Meanwhile, I managed to get the YF-21 and if I can manage to tune it up, hopefully it will be effective against that boss, what with those arm-lasercannons and pinpoint-barrier (will that protect me against the one-hit-you're-dead-haha alien laser??).

I can't recall off the top of my head if Ranka's special will freeze it, at most, might make it stop attacking. But yeah, shoot off as many of the horns and egg pods as you can and that will lower its health enough that you might be able to special attack spam the main body.

i'm stuck in chapter 3 mission 5 too. anyone have some hints for that?

thanks

Which particular part are you stuck on?