MACROSS 30: Hints & Tips

Tochiro

YF-21 Fastpacks are shared with the VF-22. YOu get them in a race in the 1st zone. It's a pain in the ass because you're going to double tap and boost yourself off the flight path and throw your controller out the window several times.

You are correct (on both counts). This race is a dozy. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Edited by Juton

I only have 3 subquests left for completion, and the one I'm having a problem with a Destroy Quest - anyone remember where you can find/destroy VF-0As?? I've gone through all the ruins and bases on Yuria, as well as flying around the other maps, ending with 0 kills.

(side note: Thank you so much to to everyone to worked on the translation guide!!)

The trick I used for those is that VF-0As tend to spawn one or two at a time within the group that harasses the north-most hunter guild base. I would just hop in and out of the nearest cave that's on the same island as that base, and keep killing all the spawns that appear near there.

Im on Chapter 3 at the moment and fighting the giant beast after activating the beacon. Damn thing spawns so many critters lol.

The only thing I really need is translations on the Side missions, most are easy to tell what to do but there a few there that just leave me scratching my head :p

They're enemy drops. You're getting them, same as everyone else, you're just either A) not bother to collect the drops, B) selling the drops, or C) not scrolling down to notice the different parts in the Mechanics menu.

Like I said in the PM, if you need to farm 'em, dungeons are the best bet.

Im on Chapter 3 at the moment and fighting the giant beast after activating the beacon. Damn thing spawns so many critters lol.

The only thing I really need is translations on the Side missions, most are easy to tell what to do but there a few there that just leave me scratching my head :p

Well, I've got 196 of 'em translated so far.

Most of the issues I've seen come from the fact that as soon as a quest become available, the quest-items spawn on the map--so you can collect quest items without actually having the quest they're part of. While you cannot sell those quest items, a lot of people seem to just chuck them away in storage and forget about 'em.

There are also some weird drop requisites. Well, one, as far as I know. The only way to get the Rare Metal G to drop from a Dyaus is to kill it while boosting (in fighter mode).

Edited by Zoroastres

Now that this is a dead horse...has anybody actually determined where the item is for the VF-19A quest???

Moricone Hill: Cactus Vaccine I

- deliver cactus vaccine to Vrlitwhal city (SDF)

I see plenty of people have completed the quest, but nobody has mentioned where the item is in the first place

@Zoroastres

For the Chapter 3 Boss is relatively easy to avoid, if you see the bosses (and this holds true to most fights with Mad Dogs and aces) do the Blue flash of using an SP move is to counter it with your own SP move as they usually only do the SP move only once per battle.

Also avoid fighting it at close range as the tail attack can punch thru your FAST pack armor and around 1/2 of you HP in one hit :p

When you eventually fight Rod, one thing I noticed is he's exceptionally vulnerable to melee attacks as the first Melee SP managed to blow away his Fast pack armor and the 2nd SP move finished him off.

The stupid thing consistently does an SP move twice on me. Argh. I've been stuck here for a few days.

What I've found works best for those enemies is simply going to Fighter mode and flying around to avoid their SP attacks, and fighting them mainly ranged, using melee SPs when possible.

Now that this is a dead horse...has anybody actually determined where the item is for the VF-19A quest???

Moricone Hill: Cactus Vaccine I

- deliver cactus vaccine to Vrlitwhal city (SDF)

I see plenty of people have completed the quest, but nobody has mentioned where the item is in the first place

Are you talking about two different quests here? There is no VF-19A quest that I'm aware of (unless it's the only one I'm missing). There was a VF-1A subjugation mission I remember that gave me some difficulty, are you talking about that one? Enemy types consistently spawn in the same areas of each field... but some enemies only spawn in dungeons. The VF-1A only spawned in dungeons, IIRC.

As for Cactus Vaccine... both of those quests are standard delivery quests. The item you need to move is in a container right next to the city where you received the quest. To "deliver" the item just means that you can only report the quest completed in the town where you're supposed to deliver the item. If you're not seeing the item in the field, odds are you've already picked it up and it's either in your inventory or in storage.

(Fun fact: the moment a quest opens up in the guild, all of the relevant quest items appear in the field, so you can and will pick up quest items before accepting the relevant quest).

You can (more easily) find these items in your inventory by looking for a quest item whose name has the name of the city it's supposed to be delivered to written in parenthesis. So, since Cactus Vaccine 2 has you deliver the item to Daoren, you'd see "(ダオレン)" written at the end of the item. I don't remember what the item name is off hand, but going by the quest title it might be something like "サボテンワクチン - (ダオレン)"

Quick tuning trick - Equipping packs on your wingmen gains tuning points for the packs (fast, booster, strike, etc) that apply regardless of which pilot is using them. While I was going crazy with VF-1 double strike packs, Mylene maxed out my regular VF-1 fast packs for me (how awesome is just getting to write that?!).

What I've found works best for those enemies is simply going to Fighter mode and flying around to avoid their SP attacks, and fighting them mainly ranged, using melee SPs when possible.

Are you talking about two different quests here? There is no VF-19A quest that I'm aware of (unless it's the only one I'm missing). There was a VF-1A subjugation mission I remember that gave me some difficulty, are you talking about that one? Enemy types consistently spawn in the same areas of each field... but some enemies only spawn in dungeons. The VF-1A only spawned in dungeons, IIRC.

As for Cactus Vaccine... both of those quests are standard delivery quests. The item you need to move is in a container right next to the city where you received the quest. To "deliver" the item just means that you can only report the quest completed in the town where you're supposed to deliver the item. If you're not seeing the item in the field, odds are you've already picked it up and it's either in your inventory or in storage.

(Fun fact: the moment a quest opens up in the guild, all of the relevant quest items appear in the field, so you can and will pick up quest items before accepting the relevant quest).

You can (more easily) find these items in your inventory by looking for a quest item whose name has the name of the city it's supposed to be delivered to written in parenthesis. So, since Cactus Vaccine 2 has you deliver the item to Daoren, you'd see "(ダオレン)" written at the end of the item. I don't remember what the item name is off hand, but going by the quest title it might be something like "サボテンワクチン - (ダオレン)"

Thanks. It actually is in your guide, that's were I got the information from. Anyway I'm not sure where I ended up picking the item up from, but I grabbed it from somewhere last night and completed that quest. That's a great tip about the parenthesis, it was easy to find that item in my ship inventory.

@Dio- that's the trick alright, I've been doing that since MAF. It sure saves a lot of time, especially if you load out yourself and your squadmates with the same valk.

I had Aisha do the parts layout for me on a vf0a. Wasn't enough to finish so I saved what she did and since then I haven't been able to put in more parts or use my TP to strengthen my valks against lvl 5 and 12 bandits. I'm STILL at level 1. .....wtf?

Ok, I seriously cannot beat the boss at the end of chapter 3. I feel like an absolute idiot. The thing continues to slaughter me. Any tips aside from SP attack when it glows blue?

I get to the part where Rod and his squadmates show up, and then eventually get killed.

Edited by distantmantra

Ok, I seriously cannot beat the boss at the end of chapter 3. I feel like an absolute idiot. The thing continues to slaughter me. Any tips aside from SP attack when it glows blue?

I get to the part where Rod and his squadmates show up, and then eventually get killed.

What's killing you? Beams or missiles?

Sometimes during the tough parts you just have to stay in jet form and play defensive and keep on the move. Pop a few shots, and boost away again and stay hard to hit instead of trying to shoot continually with less mobility Gerwalk.

Gerwalk dodging does not always cut it. Early game you can Gerwalk continually all the time against cannon fodder. Later on, it's just not an option when things can hit really hard or are very mobile. If I remember right, this boss is the first example of it.

Chapter 8 spoiler

Next example of that would be Brera and Guld damn near ignoring G forces and boosting around like crazy always in jet form pegging you HARD with heavy beam cannons. That fight SUCKS if you don't stay in jet form. Damn cybernetics & cyborgs.

Stay healed up with songs and kits, and be fast on the pin point barrier and anti-missile systems.

It's not evident early game (since you can gerwalk everything early on), but they did a great job balancing the need for all three forms.

Edited by Kaldar5

It is a trickier boss. I found that taking a Valkyrie with reaction missiles really helps, as you can damage multiple horns/eggs at once. I also find that staying in fighter mode and making quick passes then flying out to turn around is pretty good for defense. Also make sure to use your SP attacks when it comes to a stop so it's easier to hit. While your SP goes off you can use the time to press select to give your wingmen orders, you can order them to SP too or activate their support powers.

Anyone know how to do these two hunter quest I'm stuck on? I can't figure out what to do even with the translation guide. I'm at Chapter 2-3.

1_zpsafe6c126.png

According to the guide it is telling me to go Fovos Base and collect items. Went in there for a story mission cleared it out went back in there were zero enemies around and all I could get was repair kits and ammo boxes.

2_zps0a3b29fa.png

This one is telling me to find a guardian and get it's picture apparently? Where do I find one and get this picture.

Help would be much appricated. Thanks!

I know I can just ignore the hunter quests but the completionist in me will just go ballistic.

Starting on the subquests. How do you start the transport quests? Also, one of the quests I got needs me to find someone's winter coat, where do I find this?

Transport quests, as it has come to my attention, typically will have you grab an item box that spawns next to that city once you accept the quest. grab that item and take it to the designated area. As for the winter coat item, if it doesn't show you where to go on your map, then you might have the item already. Check your ship inventory.

Anyone know how to do these two hunter quest I'm stuck on? I can't figure out what to do even with the translation guide. I'm at Chapter 2-3.

1_zpsafe6c126.png

According to the guide it is telling me to go Fovos Base and collect items. Went in there for a story mission cleared it out went back in there were zero enemies around and all I could get was repair kits and ammo boxes.

2_zps0a3b29fa.png

This one is telling me to find a guardian and get it's picture apparently? Where do I find one and get this picture.

Help would be much appricated. Thanks!

I know I can just ignore the hunter quests but the completionist in me will just go ballistic.

First one, go to Phobos base(フォボス基地) to get 4 Materials (資材)。

Second one, go to Phobos ruins(フォボス遺跡) to get Statue of guarding machine(守護兵器の像)

In case your PC cannot view Japanese, my same message here:

gallery_20153_614_19452.jpg

I have completed all quest and got the SSS Hunter Trophy. Trying to max out my planes right now.

First one, go to Phobos base(フォボス基地) to get 4 Materials (資材)。

Second one, go to Phobos ruins(フォボス遺跡) to get Statue of guarding machine(守護兵器の像)

In case your PC cannot view Japanese, my same message here:

gallery_20153_614_19452.jpg

I have completed all quest and got the SSS Hunter Trophy. Trying to max out my planes right now.

Ah thanks I got it now. I went to wrong base.... the other one that started with F up further north. The map in the translation said Fovos but ボ has a bo sound and the only one that showed up on my map according to the guide was Faros. I was like okay maybe it was mispelled and ment this one!

Ah thanks I got it now. I went to wrong base.... the other one that started with F up further north. The map in the translation said Fovos but ボ has a bo sound and the only one that showed up on my map according to the guide was Faros. I was like okay maybe it was mispelled and ment this one!

I went with the English spelling in the game... the game calls it "fovos" but the kana spells "fobosu." It's weird, I know.

There are no Fovos ruins, both quests are sending you to the same dungeon, the base directly North of the Gefion.

Anyone got any tips on beating the big snake thing in Chapter 3.3, I shoot all its horns off but it does the one-shot-kill thing and you have to do the whole thing again,Its a pain in the ass and i'm growing weary of it. I dislike bosses like this that dont give you a damn chance.

Anyone got any tips on beating the big snake thing in Chapter 3.3, I shoot all its horns off but it does the one-shot-kill thing and you have to do the whole thing again,Its a pain in the ass and i'm growing weary of it. I dislike bosses like this that dont give you a damn chance.

You don't shoot the the spikes you aim for the main body. I had a huge missile massacre in my YF-30, But yeah Queen/Mother Dauyas is easy to kill. Just aim for the body just ignore the spikes

Anything that is killing you too fast, be in Fighter mode and play defensively. That counts for every boss fight.

Gerwalk is great for mopping up all the cannon fodder you see early game; but when things get serious, be in Fighter mode.

Gerwalk is a sitting duck if you are out gunned. It just can't dodge fast enough. It's east to get spoiled early game hovering and decimating easy stuff with it.

Or, conversely, use reaction missiles to kill all of the spikes at once.

And yeah, Reaction missiles in a VF-0 Phoenix or VF-1S Skull squadron make that fight go alot easier.

One thing I noticed with the tuning point maximums is that for a given rank of aircraft, the max number corresponds to the exact number of TP it takes to fully tune every attribute to the max value before it's considered overtuned. Promoting everything to the highest value before the tone changes (and the price hikes) makes for a great way to benchmark my valks for their next rank, as well as to let me know when I might want to use another valk so I dont waste any earned TP.

Of course, that's the "balanced" approach, I definitely intend to come back and specialize a few of my birds. It just bugged me that I couldnt reach the rank max TP with anything overtuned, and I had to figure out why :D

One thing I noticed with the tuning point maximums is that for a given rank of aircraft, the max number corresponds to the exact number of TP it takes to fully tune every attribute to the max value before it's considered overtuned. Promoting everything to the highest value before the tone changes (and the price hikes) makes for a great way to benchmark my valks for their next rank, as well as to let me know when I might want to use another valk so I dont waste any earned TP.

Of course, that's the "balanced" approach, I definitely intend to come back and specialize a few of my birds. It just bugged me that I couldnt reach the rank max TP with anything overtuned, and I had to figure out why :D

Same as in all three PSP games.

Graham