MACROSS 30: Hints & Tips

Tochiro

Ok.. So. End of Chapter 7, to beginning of Chapter 8. I don't know when I ate all those bricks, but they're out of my system now.

I think the Quarter's entrance invented a new emotion. You know manly tears? This wasn't that... I felt like I was about to cry from sheer awesomeness.

If there's really anything I regret about not knowing Japanese, it's that I'd absolutely love to understand all the dialogue when person A meets person B who is somehow younger and/or went missing years ago.

Anyway. So, how on earth do you go about getting different ranks for the aircraft? All of mine are stuck at rank 1, with no clue how to move beyond that. The only ones I've gotten that are rank 2 are the VF-19A, and VF-22, which start at rank 2 somehow. I've been maxing out the rank 1 stats of each valk as I get them, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of option for rank 2 or higher.

Edited by Chronocidal

If you're attempting them early on, then yes they're a pain. They get significantly easier as you upgrade the planes. Not to say they might not still be irritating, but they do get better. Also, don't try them with real aircraft controls, because having to roll to collect those targets is much harder than just steering around.

I think I just hit the final chapter, so I'm done for the night. It's one of those "Are you sure you want to do this? There's no going back after this" points that tells you to save. I think there's quite a bit to go still though, because very little (if anything) has actually been resolved in any way. It might be just a save point before the storyline branches to different paths (or endings, if it's almost done).

I'm about 30 hours in, but I admit, I've been happily running about spamming missiles everywhere to gain TP and unlockables. ^_^

Really.. I think my most serious gripe at this point is that they've had Ranka dressed in the absolute fugliest outfit I have ever seen in my life for the entire game. It's hideous. At least they had Sheryl arrive in a flight suit, but EVERY dialogue scene of Ranka has had her in that wonky thing. I want to slap that hat off her head, and then slap the artist who designed that. :p

Ugh.. aside from that though, only complaint I can think of at the moment is that the aircraft tree seems to jump around, or that several of the main developments are hidden, while later versions pop up easily. I don't recall what I did to unlock the VF-171EX armor pack, I think it was just a simple hunter guild quest... but I can't find the actual VF-171EX blueprint at all. It's not a quest or race reward, and I can't use the packs without making the plane (which is kinda messed up, since I think non-EX variants are using the packs in the game :p)

So far, only aircraft I'm actually missing are the VF-19S, VF-171EX, and all the custom paint jobs (except Roy's VF-0). Fortunately, the main VF-25 line is pretty easy to get, and the super and tornado packs are a breeze to get (a 1 item gathering quest for each, with a big map logo pointing out where to look :lol:). No sign of the armored packs yet though.

I do need to run the rounds of the hunter guild bases to see if any new quests have popped up after completing bits of the story, but so far I'm at a loss to see where the 19S and EX come from.

Oh.. and two sad bits.. well, three, but two are fixable and one isn't.

The fixable ones are plot relevant, so spoilers incoming (not that anyone couldn't see this coming though :p)

Songs: They apparently couldn't get Voices and Arkan for the soundtrack. The music used for Sara and Myung isn't terrible, but it seemed out of place for Sara, and Myung's was a serious disappointment for me after hearing Information High a few minutes earlier. It sort of sounds like Voices, but I don't think it has actual words, and it's sung by a choir, not by her, which kind of defeats the entire purpose. :p

Fortunately, once I figure out how to do it, I'll just swap out the actual tracks from my music library, and problem solved. I plan on switching out several actually, but for the most part even the generic map music hasn't been too grating yet. That may change on a second playthrough.

Ok, the unfixable sad thing: they skipped over the VF-17 entirely. There is a Millia-style red scheme for the 171, but Diamond Force is nowhere to be found.

I guess it could have something to do with what times the characters were pulled from relatively, but if Gamlin had his VF-22, Mylene should have had her MAXL. I don't honestly know if all the Macross 7 characters came from the same time frame, so someone who can read the game might be able to clear that bit up. It would make sense to me if they all came from shortly before Operation Stargazer (Gamlin VF-17, M&M VF-22s, and Mylene with a VF-11MAXL), but I think they talk about the Protodeviln in past tense

Guess they couldn't be bothered to make a few more aircraft and fill out Sound Force. :(

Really.. Yamato has spoiled us. I want to see my entire valk collection in the game. :p

I'm a little lost in the Hangar. How does all the customization work exactly?

Oh, I can't tell you what the individual stats are, but you gain TP from kills/quests/buying it... in the upper left of the stat window is your total available, upper right is the amount used out of the current allotment for that aircraft (it goes up with rank of the aircraft, which I still don't know how to do).

You just select up and down through the list, and left and right to reduce or increase a stat. Nothing's permanent, so you can retune things at will if you hit the cap and want more emphasis on damage or speed, or something. L1 and R1 cycle between stat categories, which someone explained earlier. Only ones I focus on are the aircraft stats in the first tab, the gunpod stats (usually has a XXmm label in the tag, and allows you to tune the sniper rifle by pressing square) and the multi-missile tab.

I'm not sure what all the numbers refer to, but one of the stats on that tab increases the amount of simultaneous targets/launches you can make. I think that particular stat bar has divisions in it, showing how much you need to gain a missile.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, or thinking of the wrong menu though. I've been learning by trial and error... especially with quests... it gets really interesting trying to figure out what drops the item you need to turn in. :lol: (Kill target, grab drops, check quest log, repeat.)

OH.. yeah.. that is probably my biggest gripe with the gameplay. Those sparkly dots indicating drops are useless. I want an option to just deliver all obtained items to my inventory, or don't let them time out, because if you're in fighter mode, the chances of you actually getting those approach zero.

If you're attempting them early on, then yes they're a pain. They get significantly easier as you upgrade the planes. Not to say they might not still be irritating, but they do get better. Also, don't try them with real aircraft controls, because having to roll to collect those targets is much harder than just steering around.

I think I just hit the final chapter, so I'm done for the night. It's one of those "Are you sure you want to do this? There's no going back after this" points that tells you to save. I think there's quite a bit to go still though, because very little (if anything) has actually been resolved in any way. It might be just a save point before the storyline branches to different paths (or endings, if it's almost done).

I'm about 30 hours in, but I admit, I've been happily running about spamming missiles everywhere to gain TP and unlockables. ^_^

Really.. I think my most serious gripe at this point is that they've had Ranka dressed in the absolute fugliest outfit I have ever seen in my life for the entire game. It's hideous. At least they had Sheryl arrive in a flight suit, but EVERY dialogue scene of Ranka has had her in that wonky thing. I want to slap that hat off her head, and then slap the artist who designed that. :p

Ugh.. aside from that though, only complaint I can think of at the moment is that the aircraft tree seems to jump around, or that several of the main developments are hidden, while later versions pop up easily. I don't recall what I did to unlock the VF-171EX armor pack, I think it was just a simple hunter guild quest... but I can't find the actual VF-171EX blueprint at all. It's not a quest or race reward, and I can't use the packs without making the plane (which is kinda messed up, since I think non-EX variants are using the packs in the game :p)

So far, only aircraft I'm actually missing are the VF-19S, VF-171EX, and all the custom paint jobs (except Roy's VF-0). Fortunately, the main VF-25 line is pretty easy to get, and the super and tornado packs are a breeze to get (a 1 item gathering quest for each, with a big map logo pointing out where to look :lol:). No sign of the armored packs yet though.

I do need to run the rounds of the hunter guild bases to see if any new quests have popped up after completing bits of the story, but so far I'm at a loss to see where the 19S and EX come from.

Oh.. and two sad bits.. well, three, but two are fixable and one isn't.

The fixable ones are plot relevant, so spoilers incoming (not that anyone couldn't see this coming though :p)

Songs: They apparently couldn't get Voices and Arkan for the soundtrack. The music used for Sara and Myung isn't terrible, but it seemed out of place for Sara, and Myung's was a serious disappointment for me after hearing Information High a few minutes earlier. It sort of sounds like Voices, but I don't think it has actual words, and it's sung by a choir, not by her, which kind of defeats the entire purpose. :p

Fortunately, once I figure out how to do it, I'll just swap out the actual tracks from my music library, and problem solved. I plan on switching out several actually, but for the most part even the generic map music hasn't been too grating yet. That may change on a second playthrough.

Ok, the unfixable sad thing: they skipped over the VF-17 entirely. There is a Millia-style red scheme for the 171, but Diamond Force is nowhere to be found.

I guess it could have something to do with what times the characters were pulled from relatively, but if Gamlin had his VF-22, Mylene should have had her MAXL. I don't honestly know if all the Macross 7 characters came from the same time frame, so someone who can read the game might be able to clear that bit up. It would make sense to me if they all came from shortly before Operation Stargazer (Gamlin VF-17, M&M VF-22s, and Mylene with a VF-11MAXL), but I think they talk about the Protodeviln in past tense

Guess they couldn't be bothered to make a few more aircraft and fill out Sound Force. :(

Really.. Yamato has spoiled us. I want to see my entire valk collection in the game. :p

Thanks alot! I am happier knowing that obtaining the major/ mainstream valks is not a hassle.

About a full valk collection... They are either lazy or leaving sth for a version 2. In the PSP game we have got almost everything, including VF-1D (it's not in this game is it? I am in desert now and I think I have got past the VF-1 era), Regult, even Klan Klan...

Edited by ff95gj

hey you guys & gals.. someone actually put up the game play of macross 30 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxv0e4_macross-30-gameplay_videogames?search_algo=2#.UTXrJ1fnE3E

there's more game play here http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20206916 but you got to have nico account to watch it.

who ever the person playing game sure talk a lot I mean a lot.....

Edited by TisSweet

Anybody got the YF-30 yet? How is it? And can the missile pod be swapped out for a beam weapon pod? Graham

I have it, it's pretty beastly. The super move (whatever it's real name is) does a lot of damage and takes forever to finish unloading. I like it but I still would rather have the VF-25F/s, I can't find either. Also does anyone know how to enter the races?

I have it, it's pretty beastly. The super move (whatever it's real name is) does a lot of damage and takes forever to finish unloading. I like it but I still would rather have the VF-25F/s, I can't find either. Also does anyone know how to enter the races?

As in, how to just enter a race? If thats the question, from certain towns hunters guilds. like Yue on the first map/area.

One side note since I haven't heard anybody mention it is the Valk viewer in the hanger screen (press triangle I believe). I'm so glad they put a full 360-degree viewer in this game with nice transformation animations, it's much better than the viewer from the PSP games. I just bought a 55" Plasma last week and seeing all these valks rendered to perfection couldn't be more satisfying :D​

Ah ok thanks! I skipped all the side quest and blew through the game. On this go through I'll do all of those quests. I hope there's a new game+. I didn't see the option after I finished the game but then again I can't read anything in this game :)

One side note since I haven't heard anybody mention it is the Valk viewer in the hanger screen (press triangle I believe). I'm so glad they put a full 360-degree viewer in this game with nice transformation animations, it's much better than the viewer from the PSP games. I just bought a 55" Plasma last week and seeing all these valks rendered to perfection couldn't be more satisfying :D​

Man thanks! I've been wondering how to do that!

I don't know where to get the VF-25F from, but the blueprints for the standard model A and S are available from shops in the third region, along with the 27beta, and that region gives fairly simple quests for the 27gamma, and the VF-25 super and tornado packs.

The basic YF-29 came along very easily, but I don't remember if I found it, or it was a story quest reward.

No sign yet of the personalized versions of anything, but given that there isn't a gap in the progression like I have for the 171EX, I think the various VF-25 variants will only show up as character specific customs.

Just got my copy today...Will be eyeing this and other threads. Good info so far.

Update:

Hauled ass home for lunch, installed game...don't think I passed the intro scene with Leon arriving at the planet...lol epic fail on my part. Probably too rushed.

6pm cannot get here soon enough!

Edited by Zor Primus

Ok, I actually am curious about this.. what difficulty level are you on? I'm wondering if certain blueprint unlocks are tied to the level you're playing at.

Maybe I was just jumping ahead too quickly to each new valk as I got it? I don't know. I just haven't seen any hint as to what's required to upgrade a valk to rank 2 or 3.

I have to say I do really enjoy the hangar viewer as well, it was one of the first things I found in the game :lol: My standard method for learning how to play this game was basically save, then go to a menu and press every button to see what it does.

Really do wish we could make our own paintschemes on this though. Some schemes are incredibly awesome, like the Dobber-ish SV-51 option, the VF-1D scheme on the VF-0A, and the various camoflage schemes scattered about.. but for every one of the awesome ones, there's at least a clunker or two. There seemed to be an awful lot of "Let's randomly paint different panels neon colors!" going on with the VF-0s.

Then you get to the VF-25s, and the YF-29.. and you get planes painted in TARTAN PLAID. Yes, it's kind of awesome in a way.. but it's PLAID. Maybe they were going for a kilt-ish motif :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Just got the game and played about 20 mins last night. Some v simple idiot questions:

1) In the first tutorial mission in the VF-0D, where you are Battroid mode only, what are you supposed to do to the three VB-6? I couldn't destroy them, they didn't seem to take any damage. Are they non-destructable targets just for you to practice lock on and firing?

2) To skip the talking heads, it shows on screen to either press Circle or R1. What difference between pushing the two buttons?

Graham

Question 1: I don't remember sorry,

Question 2: if you press r1 and o at the same time it skips the whole talking head conversation. Just pressing one will skip the current person who's talking.

Edited by Murphy

I'm having some trouble with the Hunter Guild quests. Can't seem to figure out what the first two from Daoren want me to do...

if it is the same two I got. One is to the northwest if you check the map screen you see this light blue bubble. When you get to the area there are a bunch of pillars sticking out from the water and on top of some of them are chest. Collect five and that one should be cleared.

The second one is a chest behind the Hunter Guild/shop building. When looking up for this quest I think you need to deliver this item to a new area which is two the west of the SDF. Then I think you have to clear out the bandit ship and enemy Valkyries around it to enter the building where you need to deliver. Now I'm not 100% sure if that is right since I got sniped killed before I killed off all the bandits to test it out myself.

Edited by SkyYuyo

Ugh.. I might not be doing myself any favors playing on easy mode. :p I usually like doing that just so I can enjoy things and take it easy, but I'm not needing to use any of the fancier combos or evasion skills much at all. I think I've died maybe three times during the run up to the last chapter. Missiles just seem really easy to avoid with minimal effort.

Maybe due to being on easy mode though, I discovered an incredibly cheap way to beat the bandit ships.. just gerwalk hover directly underneath, and spam gunpod and missiles point blank. There's actually a subsystem under the back end that registers critical hits if you concentrate on it.

Edited by Chronocidal

I should try that then to see if it works on normal mode as well. I was noticing It took me about 5-7 mins to destory one those bandit ships as I did very little damage. On another seems like there is a thread trying to make a translation guide now.

Probably depends on your control setup too, the special I tend to hit on occasion is Leon's standard spam barrage, which triggers if you hit circle + triangle (on control type C)

Again, I've found very little reason to use them on easy mode, BUT! They seem to be the best counter to an enemy activating a special of their own. One of the very early story quests has you fighting a YF-29 in one of your beginner valks, and when he activated his combo, it pretty much destroyed me outright. On other occasions though, hitting my own special seemed to negate the effects of the enemy attacks.

Could be an easy-mode only thing, but given how those special moves tend to freeze you in place, it makes some sense to give you a few seconds of invulnerability while you use the attack. I haven't tested it that much, but so far, executing that combo right as I see an enemy activate theirs has kept me from taking much damage, if not completely negating the enemy attack.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm catching words here and there in conversations...got a funny exchange that I think resembled a scene from MF when Sheryl called Alto his slave, I heard Aisha call Leon, Surēbu...lmaooooo