Mr March

I just picked up my ps4 at walmart. Its the second time since christmas they have had them.

Lucky. May I ask what part of the US you're in? (I'm in the Pittsburgh area).

They're in stock every day online. I've posted the link in this thread.

At this very moment, Amazon has it in stock.

The problem is, every time it says it's in stock at Amazon, when I try to actually put it in my cart I get a message, "We're sorry. The item PlayStation 4 is no longer available from the seller you selected." As I'm typing this, a search for "PlayStation 4" will show it as the first item, in stock for 1-17. If click on the product page, I see it as "ships and sold from by Amazon" and "Backorderd until 1-17, reserve yours now". But no matter what, I never get to the shopping cart with it. So it doesn't matter what the product page says, until I can actually order one, it's out of stock.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Lucky. May I ask what part of the US you're in? (I'm in the Pittsburgh area).

The problem is, every time it says it's in stock at Amazon, when I try to actually put it in my cart I get a message, "We're sorry. The item PlayStation 4 is no longer available from the seller you selected." As I'm typing this, a search for "PlayStation 4" will show it as the first item, in stock for 1-17. If click on the product page, I see it as "ships and sold from by Amazon" and "Backorderd until 1-17, reserve yours now". But no matter what, I never get to the shopping cart with it. So it doesn't matter what the product page says, until I can actually order one, it's out of stock.

mike go now... eh once i post it'll prob be out of stock but just to let you know i just put it in my cart for reference.

mike go now... eh once i post it'll prob be out of stock but just to let you know i just put it in my cart for reference.

I was sleeping by then. Went to bed after the Pens game. :(

EDIT: After refreshing my browser most of the day, I completed an order that's supposed to ship on the 19th. Got the order confirmation email. Now it's a waiting game...

Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

I was sleeping by then. Went to bed after the Pens game. :(

EDIT: After refreshing my browser most of the day, I completed an order that's supposed to ship on the 19th. Got the order confirmation email. Now it's a waiting game...

congrats mike :) you should've took the ps4 my friend had and saved all this waiting, haha... but glad you finally ended up with one!

congrats mike :) you should've took the ps4 my friend had and saved all this waiting, haha... but glad you finally ended up with one!

I know! I mean, I figured that they'd take effort to find, but after not having too much trouble finding an Xbox One (or a Wii U last year), I didn't expect that two months after launch and I'd still be more likely to find Bigfoot than a PS4 in the wild.

Even better for me, I got the email from Amazon that they shipped already! So instead of "in stock on the 19th", I should actually have it Wednesday.

The logical, rational side of me is still doesn't even really want any of the PS4 games that are out (although as a PS+ member, I claimed my freebie Resogun from the web version of the PSN). But I guess I'm just not right in the head... my brains need to complete sets turned a very rational "I'm sure I'll get one eventually" into an obsessive "I must have it now!" Especially because, for me, it completed not one but two sets... it was the only next-gen system I didn't have, and the only PlayStation I didn't have.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i think like that when i'm getting doubles or triples of macross items. i don't need two but i buy doubles anyway... lol

Edited by davidwhangchoi

BeDO6i-IYAAbRTg.jpg

At last. PS4 and PS3 on the left, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on the right. The sets are complete, and properly organized. The OCD part of my brain can stop tormenting me.

It'd be kind of nice if the next-gen systems, especially the PS4, had more games I want. I've got Forza and I'll plan to pick up Dead Rising this weekend, but all I've done with the PS4 is download Resogun and Netflix. It's tough, because the best games are multiplatform, and in some cases (Need for Speed Rivals, Lego Marvel Superheroes) I already bought them on PC. Maybe I'll get Injustice for the PS4. I did pass on it during the winter Steam sale...

Weird issue setting the PS4 up, though. Nothing I did would make it output sound to the rear speakers on my receiver. Out of desperation, I swapped the HDMI cable with my PS3's, and wouldn't you know it all 5.1 channels started showing up. Checked back on the PS3, and on automatic settings it was only outputting stereo, but I was able to tell it to manually output 5.1, and all was well. Odd.

I'd had a similar issue with the Xbox One only outputting stereo. That one, also oddly, was fixed by changing the video settings from auto to 1080p.

Now for the inevitable comparisons... I feel like they're a lot closer this generation than the previous one. Both consoles have stuff I like about them. On the PS4, the interface is simple but functional, but I wish it was a little more tweakable. The Xbox One has a more customizable interface, but sometimes stuff doesn't work right or has issues. For example, setting up local splitscreen on Forza 5 was a nightmare on the Xbox One, mostly because of Kinect. Which reminds me, I like that I can create local, offline users on the PS4, while on the Xbox One you have to either have a Microsoft account, or sign is as a guest of a Microsoft account.

After playing with both, while I'm happy to agree that the Dualshock 4 is a huge improvement over the Dualshock 3, I do think I prefer the Xbox One controller. It's not that there's anything wrong with the DS4, but for me at least the Xbox One controller just sits more naturally in my hands. I've read complains about the bumpers on the Xbox One controller, and I don't get it at all. The way it sits in my hand, my fingers are poised so that they're lightly touching the edge of the bumpers, making them very easy to hit (with enough resistance that I don't accidentally hit them), even when I'm squeezing the triggers. Using Kinect to figure out who has which controller, though, is awful.

One thing that really gives the PS4 and edge, though, is that I don't have to have PS+ for anything besides multiplayer and the discounts, while Microsoft requires Xbox Live Gold for practically everything short of putting a disc in the system. Gold's required for Netflix, Gold's required for Amazon Instant Video, Gold's even required for Internet Explorer. Sorry, Microsoft, but basic functionality available on pretty much every non-Microsoft console isn't going to get me to buy a Gold subscription, and neither is multiplayer. Free games are what got me to buy PS+, and that's good games for PS3, Vita, and yes, even PS4. The older, crappier games Microsoft has offered (at least until Sleeping Dogs) aren't worth it, especially when there's nothing for Xbox One.

As of right now, I'm still mostly inclined to play my games on PC. That said, between PS4 and Xbox One, I think games I'd want to play splitscreen (few and far between, I know) I'm more inclined to get for PS4, but otherwise, assuming they run equally well on both systems (not a given, since it seems a lot of games are running better on PS4 so far), I might go with the Xbox One version.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm finally opening up my ps4, it's been sitting in the amazon shipping box since launch. i'm going to install cod ghosts and see how it is compared to the ps3.

update: just set everything up. in order to get my reciever to decode hd audio, i had to play a blu ray disc and select "bitstream direct" during playback as well as to turn "dynamic range control" to "off" since i couldn't do it in the main ps4 menu.

i'm sure the way the PS4 made their audio options: it'll screw alot of people so just for anyone who is confused:

If you want lossless audio for games:

in the main menu audio output settings

you have 3 choices

Linear PCM

Bitstream (Dolby)

Bitstream (DTS)

select Linear PCM in that menu for lossless audio,

if you choose the other dolby or dts option the ps4 will be downmixing the audio. (very confusing)

For Bluray movie playback, if you want to send lossless the audio signal untouched for an AVR receiver to decode:

There is another hidden menu you need to access:

Play a bluray movie

During a playback of a bluray movie, hit the small options button on the controller:

there is a hidden menu: select the "settings" menu all the way to the right:

from here you have two choices:

Linear PCM

Bitstream (Direct)

select Bitstream (Direct) if you want the to send the signal to your receiver untouched.

which is different from the main menu audio output option. (PS4 is really stupid by not having this menu in the ps4 UI and this is going to confuse a lot of people)

otherwise, the ps4 will decode the audio (it still will be lossless) and then send the signal to the receiver.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i'm finally opening up my ps4, it's been sitting in the amazon shipping box since launch. i'm going to install cod ghosts and see how it is compared to the ps3.

update: just set everything up. in order to get my reciever to decode hd audio, i had to play a blu ray disc and select "bitstream direct" during playback as well as to turn "dynamic range control" to "off" since i couldn't do it in the main ps4 menu.

i'm sure the way the PS4 made their audio options: it'll screw alot of people so just for anyone who is confused:

Yeah, for the record, that wasn't my issue. My issue was that on Linear PCM, my receiver was only showing the front pair, the center, and the subwoofer. And, like I said, that issue seems to have been fixed by switching to a different HDMI cable.

Anyway... I like how the PS4's UI is very quick, and I like how tapping up on the d-pad takes you to a menu bar... but after spending some time with it, I actually think the UI has some issues. For one thing, there are a lot fewer settings that you have access to, which leads to issues like you've described.

But a bigger issue is the main nav bar. It's cluttered with apps for Sony's music and Sony's video services and a Playroom app for a camera I don't have and don't want. Recently played games show up in it as well, but not other recently used apps like Netflix. If I want Netflix, I either have to go to the tile for video apps, then pick Netflix from a the list of video apps (none of which I even have installed besides Netflix), or go to my library, where all my installed games and apps are. Which sounds great, except for some ridiculous reason, the library is the very last tile on the nav bar, when it really should be first (or maybe second... I'll allow that Sony might want to highlight the What's New? tab). It makes me appreciate the Xbox One's customizable Home screen a little more, although the Xbone's got it's own set of issues.

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, i was just sharing my own experience setting it up the audio and sharing for new users, i wasn't doubting your hdmi cable solution. i think in general the audio menu is not complete as well as the ui issues mentioned. i couldn't find a way to pause specific items in the download manger maybe there is a way but i couldn't get it to work. i hope an update will improve the ui so it is easier to use and customize stuff. but i'm having fun playing resogun.

yeah, i was just sharing my own experience setting it up the audio and sharing for new users, i wasn't doubting your hdmi cable solution. i think in general the audio menu is not complete as well as the ui issues mentioned. i couldn't find a way to pause specific items in the download manger maybe there is a way but i couldn't get it to work. i hope an update will improve the ui so it is easier to use and customize stuff. but i'm having fun playing resogun.

I couldn't even find a download manager. Just a list of what's being downloaded in Notifications.

I think that's what's frustrating me about the next-gen consoles. Right out of the box on launch day, both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 had great UIs with plenty of options in the settings. The PS4 and the Xbox One both seemed to have sacrificed both functionality and practicality in the name of simplicity.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i guess technically its just a notification since it's in the area. My downloads got cut off and the ps4 ui said the files got corrupted and directed me to restart the downloads by going to notification->downloads and hit restart individually for each item that failed, it ended up the files weren't corrupt because the downloads resumed in the middle of where they left off. so they just paused.

so i guess it's acts like a download manger but it's just not that great. i couldn't even pause individual or all downloads until all of them unintentionally were interrupted in the middle of downloading. i restarted them one at a time and they resumed from where they left off. what crap that they don't allow users to manually pause certain downloads to choose which files to download faster.

i hope the ps4 begins to adds features soon. the next gen hardware may be half a step forward but it's a half step back on the ui.

so far ps4 Call of duty ghosts run very smoothly in 1080p with no stutter. i tested local split screen online multiplayer. on previous gen consoles the frame-rate and visuals take a big hit during split screen. the ps4 in split-screen had no drop visuals and frame-rate that i could notice. actually it took time to get used to at first. normally in split screen online you would have to compensate for the drop in frame-rate and fire about a half step ahead of where the opponent was running in order to get a hit marker.

on the ps4 i would constantly miss aiming a half step ahead and needed to actually adjust as if it was non split screen.

that's a nice bonus. the game itself it pretty much the same except sharper textures on the floor tiles and higher res sand textures. but it plays about same, just with less people than on the ps3. and the framerate is more stable than on the ps3/360 mulitplayer.

though the lag issues are less since their is less people on the ps4 servers, it's still about the same experience as the ps3. and all fps online multiplayer rules apply:

your ping, if hardwired (no wireless ever) and open up the ports/use the dmz on your router or not.

the normal factors in determining the advantage vs. someone who doesn't. dictating playing style whether to be aggressive or camp based on the connection quality.

my friends always has his NAT moderate because hes' too lazy to go into his router and open up his ports so unless we become host in a lobby we face lag some issues. we have to play slow and definitely can't go head to head unless the opponent really sucks.

it also sucks that i can't aim as fast as the rest of my friends. lol (lag is just an excuse)

all in all, since cod is mostly an online experience, the more people online the better chance of playing some quality teams, i prefer the ps3 over the ps4 right now based on the number of players.

(in the past, i always played console multiplayer on the 360 as they have the most competitive players online but since i sold it, the ps3 is still pretty good. i avoid playing COD multiplayer on pc bc i don't use a mouse and mouse players have an advantage over those with a gamepad in terms of movement. unless i bump the control speed to insane levels i can't do an instant 180 like if i had a mouse.)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 1 year later...

I was going to wait until possibly Christmas to get the PS4 ( my wife owes me a nice present; I got her a Samsung Galaxy 5 for her birthday), but with the next Arkham Asylum game coming next week, I caved and got the Batman Bundle. Can't wait to wreak some havoc in the Batmobile. :p

The Gamestop dude also told me that this is the last year for PS3 games. I haven't confirmed it, but I have no reason to doubt it, either.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Great news, as you no longer need to convert MKV to MP4 and use your PS3----but it STILL can't play a simple audio CD?!?!

Yeah, that's really frustrating. Almost two years in, and it hasn't replaced my PS3 as my main media player... although one of the updates to the Xbox One made it pretty useful. It plays all the same media formats, at least from a USB device, AND it can play audio CDs. I don't know if either it or the PS4 can play audio or video files off of a DVD the way the PS3 can, though.

Yup, my PS3 and PS4 are shelf mates because of the 4's limitations. If I wasn't worried about burning out my 60G 'emo equipped PS3 I'd either throw the 4 into storage or trade it for some Pizza Hut. Dated technology aside, the PS3 is still my favorite console to date...

I was blissfully unaware that the PS3 played media outside of Blu-Ray, DVD, and games. If I want to play music, I either use my wife's old boombox, or I Youtube it on the PC.

I'm curious to see the upgrade in graphics from the PS3: Batman's gonna look awesome.

Not being able to play mkvs is a far, far bigger deal in 2015 than not being able to play CDs. While certainly this doesn't apply to everyone, it applies to the vast majority.

I don't think so. I mean, yeah, CDs have become rather unpopular. But, especially outside of fansubs, mkv is more, "why didn't they use mp4?" than, "why can't my device play mkv?" If not for fansubbers, the mkv format would cause the same confused stares as ogg.

I don't think so. I mean, yeah, CDs have become rather unpopular. But, especially outside of fansubs, mkv is more, "why didn't they use mp4?" than, "why can't my device play mkv?" If not for fansubbers, the mkv format would cause the same confused stares as ogg.

And fanedits, and alternate language tracks, and a whole host of things. As for CDs, I simply don't know anyone who uses them, outside of ripping purposes.

You no longer need Gold on Xbox to run stuff like Netflix. I gave my kids my spare Xbox 360 to use at their mom's house and they don't have gold and can use Netflix. I am about to pick up the PS4 finally (last of us edition) since they announced the FF7 remake. Trying to finish CODAW campaign now before I put the Xbox One on hiatus till Halo 5 comes out.

Figured The Last of Us will keep me busy this summer.

You no longer need Gold on Xbox to run stuff like Netflix. I gave my kids my spare Xbox 360 to use at their mom's house and they don't have gold and can use Netflix. I am about to pick up the PS4 finally (last of us edition) since they announced the FF7 remake. Trying to finish CODAW campaign now before I put the Xbox One on hiatus till Halo 5 comes out.

Figured The Last of Us will keep me busy this summer.

Depends how much time you have to put into it. May I suggest picking up Bloodborne, as well.