Mr March

well, that's bizarre. anyone else not have audio?

Cute, and I'll mostly agree with it. For casual gamers like myself, there's really no need to jump the gun and get a launch console...

Two DudeBro games I can totally live without, or at the very least buy on PC or current-gen console? Yeah, I'm thinking the video is spot on.

It's something a few of my friends and I can play together, and we have fun. No one would ever mistake us for a group of dudebros, lol.

It's something a few of my friends and I can play together, and we have fun. No one would ever mistake us for a group of dudebros, lol.

Fair enough, but like I said, they're both going to be available for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. So you and your friends could buy the games for whatever consoles you all already have, without having to pay a fortune, camp out, or whatever for the (inevitably flawed in some way) launch units that you hope all of your friends are able to get a hold of too.

Fair enough, but like I said, they're both going to be available for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. So you and your friends could buy the games for whatever consoles you all already have, without having to pay a fortune, camp out, or whatever for the (inevitably flawed in some way) launch units that you hope all of your friends are able to get a hold of too.

Better textures and frames rates = more killing

• 2 months later...

PS4 launches Nov 15th in North America, Nov 29th Europe.

MW Members on PSN

bandit29: bandit29brouken: shinbrouken

camk4evr: camk4evrCheeseKing: CheeseKingChowser: sarge051DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltalldizman: dizman89DrunkenMaster2: macross08Duke Togo: Glavileugimon: eugimonGaijin: trav54kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Kanedas Bike: XkanedasbikeXKeith: KeithL78Lott Sheen: Million__Starmikeszekely: mikeszekelyMjrMisaHayase: SailorCallie

Murphy: Maximus_DrunkusRoy Focker: Kamjinshiroikaze: Shiroi_Kazethe_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowlthe white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

UN Spacy: pinoy78Uxi: UxiValkyrie Nut: BappersVince: bbe23Vostok 7: Vostok7Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

My PSN ID: Zackfenix

Guest davidwhangchoi

target is having a B2G1 free on all games avail including PS4, games so if you plan to get more than one game, this is a way get a free one!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

As we get closer to Friday, I find myself really wanting to buy a PS4. Just no PS4 games.

I know the PS4 isn't supposed to be able to play PS3 games, either retail or downloaded. Will it play other PSN games, like PS2 games? I just picked up the Fatal Frame series around Halloween...

It isn't backwards compatible? Guess I'll be picking up quite the paper weight next Friday...

Yeah, that's kind of old news. The PS4 is based on very different architecture than the Cell. There was some talk about using Gakai's tech to run PSX/PS2/PS3 software server-side and stream it to a PS4, but so far as I know the only confirmed streaming is streaming PS4 games to a Vita.

Something else I was wondering... are the Dualshock 4s using micro-USB this time? It seems like I've got at least a dozen or so micro-USB cords in each room, but I only have three total mini-USB (one for my Harmony, one for my Garmin, and one for the Dualshock 3).

It's microUSB.

PS2 is the only console I've ever owned (going back to the Atari 2600) that was backwards compatible. It's not something I personally expect.

And in all honesty I don't expect a company interested in making money to allow backwards compatability; why spend the extra money for hardware or software emulation to play older games when you can charge players a small fee and allow access in the "marketplace" or whatever Xbox and Sony call it.

Honestly I haven't kept up with the next gen console news; I'm buying the PS4 because it's new and shiny...

Guest davidwhangchoi

Pre-ordered 2 before this thread started...

wow, lucky dog... you get to flip one. i on;y ordered one before the ps4 conference was finished as well... i was thinking of selling it but i may keep it as the going market is about 600 on ebay so far... after fees and shipping it may not be worth to resell.

Yeah, that's kind of old news. The PS4 is based on very different architecture than the Cell. There was some talk about using Gakai's tech to run PSX/PS2/PS3 software server-side and stream it to a PS4, but so far as I know the only confirmed streaming is streaming PS4 games to a Vita.

To expand on this, it may come out as a system patch at later date for on-console emulation for the PS4. But Gaikai's acquisition is suppose to be part of a long-term solution to game emulation of older titles for Sony. Reason being this would allow you to emulate games on-the-go with your Vita. Streaming from your PS4 to your Vita opens up a large segment for mobile gaming. Add the ability to emulate or stream older games would increase the Sony ecosystem.

wow, lucky dog... you get to flip one. i on;y ordered one before the ps4 conference was finished as well... i was thinking of selling it but i may keep it as the going market is about 600 on ebay so far... after fees and shipping it may not be worth to resell.

My PS3 is having increasing difficulty reading some blu-rays and dvd's; this 60G unit has been slaving for me since '06 so it's time for a replacement. The other pre-order went to the flavor of the month; se la vi...

I just saw that video Jefuemon linked and I have to disagree with that.

There are some games, like Killzone, that are going to be exclusive to the console. I don't know about the rest of you, but Killzone: Shadow Fall is a day one buy for me - I've always enjoyed the multi-player in the series. As for CoD and BF4, yeah, they'll be on the PS3 and Xbox 360, but they're neutered versions in comparison to the next-gen versions. Not everyone games on the PC either unfortunately (or has the money to rather). My friends do most of their gaming on the consoles so that's where I'll be too if I want to team up with them. That said, this will probably be the first time where this gaming circle will be fractured...as we're not all getting the same consoles and some only have intentions to buy one or the other, but not both...at least not for a long while anyway. I'm actually in that boat where the more I hear about the Xbox One the less I like about it and what Microsoft has to offer. Anyway....

There are some games, like Killzone, that are going to be exclusive to the console. I don't know about the rest of you, but Killzone: Shadow Fall is a day one buy for me - I've always enjoyed the multi-player in the series.

While your reasoning -console exclusives- are the reason I will probably buy a PS4, Killzone will never be a part of my collection. There isn't a single exclusive that's a must-buy for me, yet. Of all the next-gen console-exclusives coming out in 2013, the closest to a must-buy for me is actually Forza 5, but it's not enough to sell me an Xbone.

As for CoD and BF4, yeah, they'll be on the PS3 and Xbox 360, but they're neutered versions in comparison to the next-gen versions.

Are you sure about that?

Not everyone games on the PC either unfortunately

Technically true.

(or has the money to rather).

Bull. Especially on these boards, where half the members will spend more on toys. You can build an adequate gaming PC for around the price of an Xbox One, and one capable of running most games on the highest settings for under $1000. Just because PC enthusiasts can spend thousands of dollars on a custom rig doesn't mean it's necessary. What's more, any extra you put into hardware vs. consoles you'll make back shortly on software.

Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

Amazon decided to give me a free game, so along with CoD and BF4 I snagged Black Flag (aka a real game).

Amazon is compensating those who pre-ordered, for the sale they're going to have starting tuesday to match target.

i picked up ghost today wthi two other dummy games, i need to exhange them for killzone and blackflag. late this week.

While your reasoning -console exclusives- are the reason I will probably buy a PS4, Killzone will never be a part of my collection. There isn't a single exclusive that's a must-buy for me, yet. Of all the next-gen console-exclusives coming out in 2013, the closest to a must-buy for me is actually Forza 5, but it's not enough to sell me an Xbone.

To each their own! :)

Are you sure about that?

Absolutely positive! The number of players in multiplayer is significantly less, and the graphics aren't as impressive. I can paste you links if you would like.

Bull. Especially on these boards, where half the members will spend more on toys. You can build an adequate gaming PC for around the price of an Xbox One, and one capable of running most games on the highest settings for under $1000. Just because PC enthusiasts can spend thousands of dollars on a custom rig doesn't mean it's necessary. What's more, any extra you put into hardware vs. consoles you'll make back shortly on software.

Adequate gaming PC for the same price of an Xbox One? You're joking, right? If you want to play on medium settings...sure.

~$215 for a CPU (i5 3570K)

~$120 for a quality mobo (DDR3 32GB RAM max, USB 3.0, SATA III, SLI/X-fire)

~$400 for a GPU (7970)

~$150+ for a quality PSU (Gold Certified)

~$125 for 16GB of DDR3 RAM

~$40 for a quality case

~$80+ for 1.5TB HDD

~$30 for a DVD-ROM +- RW...probably more for a Blu-ray drive

~$10 for thermal paste

Comes out to about $1,170. I call those specs adequate. You could probably skimp on a few things and bring that down to $1000 like you were saying. I currently have an i5 3570K and a Radeon HD 7970 and I couldn't run the Battlefield 4 beta on the highest settings (1920x1080 res) w/o experiencing some kind of lag. Hell, I can barely play Crysis 3 maxed out with acceptable frame rates (40-50) Back to BF4, granted it was a beta and I'm sure things weren't as optimized as they are now, but it was what it was. I doubt I'll see that huge of an improvement with the final product. Minus a few discrepancies, the PS4 and PC version on the highest settings are nearly identical. We're looking at $400 vs $1000 while skimping on some parts.

In a year or two my 7970 won't be enough to play some of these games on the highest settings and I'm going to have to spend another $400 to play on the highest settings. Whereas on the console, I won't have to worry about upgrading for another six...seven+ years. I don't know about these recent consoles, but it was my understanding that consoles were coded direct to hardware which allowed developers to get more 'juice' out of the consoles than they would on a PC w/all of those APIs...which should help with the longevity of these things. Sure, the graphics on the console will eventually not be able to hold a candle to the PC, but that's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, with PCs you're constantly having to upgrade every couple of years if you want all of the eye candy whereas on a console, you're paying one flat rate once every six years.

Again, to each their own!

Edit: Figured it would help if I added the resolution I'm playing at.

Edited by Oihan

To each their own! :)

Absolutely!

Absolutely positive! The number of players in multiplayer is significantly less, and the graphics aren't as impressive. I can paste you links if you would like.

I believe you. I don't really follow console gaming enough keep up with all the differences between the versions, just jaded enough to expect them to be less than significant.

Adequate gaming PC for the same price of an Xbox One? You're joking, right? If you want to play on medium settings...sure.

~$215 for a CPU (i5 3570K)

~$120 for a quality mobo (DDR3 32GB RAM max, USB 3.0, SATA III, SLI/X-fire)

~$400 for a GPU (7970)

~$150+ for a quality PSU (Gold Certified)

~$125 for 16GB of DDR3 RAM

~$40 for a quality case

~$80+ for 1.5TB HDD

~$30 for a DVD-ROM +- RW...probably more for a Blu-ray drive

~$10 for thermal paste

Comes out to about $1,170. I call those specs adequate. You could probably skimp on a few things and bring that down to $1000 like you were saying. I currently have an i5 3570K and a Radeon HD 7970 and I couldn't run the Battlefield 4 beta on the highest settings (1920x1080 res) w/o experiencing some kind of lag. Hell, I can barely play Crysis 3 maxed out with acceptable frame rates (40-50) Back to BF4, granted it was a beta and I'm sure things weren't as optimized as they are now, but it was what it was. I doubt I'll see that huge of an improvement with the final product. Minus a few discrepancies, the PS4 and PC version on the highest settings are nearly identical. We're looking at $400 vs $1000 while skimping on some parts.

Not joking. Not saying that some people can't or won't (as I said, I spent around $1400 on my desktop, but you can definitely get away with spending less.

For one thing, an adequate gaming PC doesn't have to play everything on the highest settings, just settings that are equal to or better than the PS4/Xbone. Going beyond that would be optional.

An adequate gaming PC doesn't need a K-series Intel CPU, because the difference between the K and non-Ks are the unlocked multiplier. If you're overclocking, you're getting into enthusiast territory (which I gladly encourage, but it's not necessary for adequacy).

For that matter, while an i5 or an i7 is definitely a better choice, I think an i3 might be adequate. GPU matters more than CPU for most games.

Likewise, you can halve the RAM, spend half on the PSU (and still get quality... I have a 750w Antec that was $65 at rebates), spend half on the DVD drive (an adequate gaming system doesn't need Blu-ray, especially when most of the games you buy are digital), and skip the thermal paste entirely. If you're buying an Intel CPU and you're not overclocking it, the stock fan and the thermal paste are perfectly fine. And you definitely don't need a motherboard with SLI/Crossfire. It's been an option on two of the boards I've used, and I've always found a single card to be plenty, and by the time it's not it's almost always cheaper and easier to replace the card than to pair the one you have with another.

Lastly, $400 for a graphics card is definitely enthusiast (and I'm not sure why it's not working for you for Battlefield). My year old GTX 660ti was $240 and I had no issues running Crysis 3 on the highest settings, or anything else I've played. BF4Central suggests most bang-for-your-buck actually comes from a 2GB GTX 760, for around $250. I've seen videos on YouTube of the gaming running at 30fps on High with an i3-3220 and a GeForce 650ti (yes, 50, not 60).

You're probably right that, at this point in time, you'd need slightly better gear to match the new consoles, I'll give you that. If I were pricing a system with a Haswell i5 and a GeForce 760, I'd probably need around $800, which I could probably drop a bit after Nvidia comes out with a 750ti.

As an aside, I'd never buy Battlefield 4, since the single player is supposed to be crap and I'm not big on multiplayer. But you've got me half tempted to pirate it just to see how it runs on my system (i7-3770k, 16GB of RAM, GeForce 660ti).

Anyway, with PCs you're constantly having to upgrade every couple of years if you want all of the eye candy whereas on a console, you're paying one flat rate once every six years.

By your own admission, sooner or later a console's graphics can't hold a candle to a PCs. So, if you care so little for the eye candy that you're cool with paying that console "flat rate" every six years, then you really don't need to spend a lot upgrading that PC, do you?

Even then, a new graphics card every two or three years isn't so bad. Because you're still paying way for more the actual games on a console.

Again, to each their own!

Yep. Honestly, I don't care what people choose to do their gaming on, I just take exception to the notion that PC gaming is somehow more expensive. I think it can be (I usually get an urge to build a new PC every three years or so, and spend $1000-$1500 every time, and I'm still a far cry from some of the enthusiasts out there), but I don't think it has to be. I also believe that whatever extra you invest in the hardware you'll save in software. But if you and your friends are into Killzone and you have fun playing it together on the PS4, that's what really matters. I'm not going to do that, because it wouldn't be fun for me personally, though. Shooters with a controller... *shudders*.

Seriously, I'll probably hit a few stores on Friday, see if anyone has a PS4 in stock, and buy one if they do. If they don't, I'll live, and either way, I have no intention of buying any games for it. Probably not for the rest of the year. When did Sony say Infamous: Second Son was coming out?

>snip<

Here's a thought: It's totally possible to build a good PC on the cheap, especially if all you're going to do is play games on it. That said, I don't WANT to build a PC just to play games on it.

If all I want is a box to play games on, I don't want to buy a pile if parts that I have to assemble and then put drivers and software on. I just want to go to a store and buy one package that I can unpack, set up and use. I also want that box to be self contained, compact and rugged enough to be transported in a backpack.

Another thought: Comparing costs on software really depends on your buying habits. if you don't buy that many games per year and your an uber-nerd who likes buying collectors editions, you really don't save all that much on PC.

A further thought: This is just me personally, but any PC I own has to be able to run graphics programs, so something like an i3 or even an i5 and anything less than 8gb of ram isn't going to cut it. And again, just me personally, I don't like desktops. And I prefer controller to keyboard and mouse, on all games including FPS's.

so, tl;dr: it's not so much about the money, it's about the can't be arsed factor.

Here's a thought: It's totally possible to build a good PC on the cheap, especially if all you're going to do is play games on it. That said, I don't WANT to build a PC just to play games on it.

If all I want is a box to play games on, I don't want to buy a pile if parts that I have to assemble and then put drivers and software on. I just want to go to a store and buy one package that I can unpack, set up and use. I also want that box to be self contained, compact and rugged enough to be transported in a backpack.

Another thought: Comparing costs on software really depends on your buying habits. if you don't buy that many games per year and your an uber-nerd who likes buying collectors editions, you really don't save all that much on PC.

A further thought: This is just me personally, but any PC I own has to be able to run graphics programs, so something like an i3 or even an i5 and anything less than 8gb of ram isn't going to cut it. And again, just me personally, I don't like desktops. And I prefer controller to keyboard and mouse, on all games including FPS's.

so, tl;dr: it's not so much about the money, it's about the can't be arsed factor.

To add on to that, I'd rather be able to sit on my couch in front of my 60" with my surround sound cranked up playing in comfort.

I was lucky to have acquired a PS4 pre-order through a government facility. *Cough* NEX *Cough*. the only drawback is there's no midnight release, because gate guards have better things to do.
Part of me cant wait for friday because of the new system. The other part of me is, wondering what im going to spend more time on. At launch, the PS4 will be nothing more than a shooter machine for me since all i'll have for it at launch is BF4 and Shadowfall