Macross fan film

Falconkpd

Alright, I'm in the process of writing a fanfilm. It will take place BEFORE Zero, during the unification wars, about 2007...ish. The film centers around a squadron of F-14E MegaTomcat (the American-built designation of the F-14A+ Tomcat Kai in Zero) pilots onboard the carrier Atlas (One of the Prometheus's sister ships). It will document carrier trials of prototype VF-1 Valkyries (Not the VF-0 because they are already presumably beyond the test stage) and the struggles against the Anti-UN forces.

The main character is named Lt. Angelo Jager, the lead pilot in VFA-77 (eventually SVF-77) 'Aries' squadron. I'm PLANNING on having the VF-1 test-pilot who comes to the Atlas be Roy Focker before he transfers to the Asuka II. In this, I also hope to describe the transitioning of modern day technology to the overtechnology style equipment used in Zero and later in SDF; eye tracking tech, More advanced HMDs, what upgrades the F-14E/Kai has over the real life F-14s and so on. Lemme know what you guys think. I'm putting together costumes right now which isn't too much of a problem and I have experience with chroma keying and all that jazz, but what I REALLY need is someone who does CGI if possible.

Sounds interesting. Can you go into quite a bit more detail though?

How long do you intend this film to be?
Do you have camera's audio equipment and people who know how to operate them?
Are you shooting for photo real or some sort of stylized look?
Do you have access to a cockpit to shoot in? Since you're focusing on F-14s and you're in NY, I would think you might be able to find a fully loaded F-14 cockpit to film in (maybe in a museum or something)

I'm a photographer and film maker way over in Iowa and I've been dreaming of doing a Macross or Macross inspired live action work for years, but the problem is we Macross fans are spread all over the place and we've all got real jobs. That said if you're serious about this and you've finished a film before I'd be interested in helping where I can.

Please, elaborate like crazy. :)

Sounds interesting. Can you go into quite a bit more detail though?

How long do you intend this film to be?

Do you have camera's audio equipment and people who know how to operate them?

Are you shooting for photo real or some sort of stylized look?

Do you have access to a cockpit to shoot in? Since you're focusing on F-14s and you're in NY, I would think you might be able to find a fully loaded F-14 cockpit to film in (maybe in a museum or something)

I'm a photographer and film maker way over in Iowa and I've been dreaming of doing a Macross or Macross inspired live action work for years, but the problem is we Macross fans are spread all over the place and we've all got real jobs. That said if you're serious about this and you've finished a film before I'd be interested in helping where I can.

Please, elaborate like crazy. :)

Thank you for your interest.

The film, I'd like to be about 30-45 minutes, but who knows?! It could stretch out to be longer.

For camera equipment, I personally own a Canon Rebel T3i DSLR and I have access to a studio with professional lighting and a 10' x 30' greenscreen.

I would like a more realistic look, however a slight sort of "surreal" style to the CGI MIGHT be interesting to see. I haven't decided on that yet.

I always loved the style of this video. I'm not saying copying the style, but such a scene would look bad ass with F-14s or even VF-1s fighting MiG-29S Fulcrums and SV-prototypes (I'm thinking maybe something that looks a lot like the Russian SU-47 Berkut)

As far as cockpits, there IS an aircraft museum about an hour east of here that at LEAST has an F-4 phantom cockpit I may be able to work with.

As of now, I'm a college student majoring in Media arts in Jamestown Community College. I've taken two years of trade school for audio visual production. While I haven't produced anything THIS big as of yet, I am rather proud of a short film I produced for college.

I've learned SO much since I made this, and I hope to put my new skills to work. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make a 2-3 minute little dogfight short together before I go ahead and make anything big just to see if it IS possible with what I have.

I DON'T PLAN ON MAKING THIS TOMORROW, but I'm planting the seeds every day. ;)

Edited by Falconkpd

Your war film reminds me a lot of the kind of stuff I shot with friends for years, save for the fact that while your film wasn't perfect, you FINISHED IT! I don't think I've finished anything. It was clear that you had serious technical limitations, but you still put shots together and made things work. Awesome!

Its too bad we're spread all over the US. I think there is enough film making and VFX knowledge around here to pull something off if it weren't for our locations. That said I'm still interested in doing what I can to help.

Having a green screen studio with lighting gives you a good leg up. I shot on a T2i (same sensor as the T3i and T4i) for a long time and I can tell you unless you're at 100ISO, it keys like crap. And with it being a cropped sensor, its hard to get enough light in a green screen situation to keep the ISO low.

As for the jet cockpit, you could probably get some good footage with one of those self-deploying green/blue screens and a few good lights.

Since you're currently working on costuming, what are you doing for the helmet?

http://www.wingsofeagles.com/?page_id=535

And I was wrong. They DO have a Tomcat ;)

That is awesome they have one, are they for certain going to let you use it?, the Air Museum near Forbes Airfield (Topeka, KS) has a Tomcat there too!

This sounds like a really fun project, if I new how to do CGI I would volunteer in a heartbeat! B))

if you looking for ideas, i think you should first contact others who have more success in fan films, for insight. a good example, the community of folks that have been making Star Trek fanfilms the past decade...

Interesting idea, however I'd suggest changing the name of the F-14E "Mega" Tomcat to the "Super" Tomcat. That seems to be a popular way the navy distinguishes an early version of the same aircraft to the upgrade, i.e. Hornet vs "Super" Hornet; very different aircraft, but essentially the same air frame.

Interesting story idea, I would like to read a full treatment and script. I have some feature film experience as a CG sequence previz artist, modeler, animator, matchmover, compositor, and as well as onset VFX supervisor. I'd be willing to do some compostiting at the least on this. If I have more free time I could lend a hand with other stuff too. I'm too lazy to put together an updated reel but you can check out my school reel, it has aircraft in it.

http://westgatevfx.com/demoReel.php

http://westgatevfx.com/work_personal.php

Interesting story idea, I would like to read a full treatment and script. I have some feature film experience as a CG sequence previz artist, modeler, animator, matchmover, compositor, and as well as onset VFX supervisor. I'd be willing to do some compostiting at the least on this. If I have more free time I could lend a hand with other stuff too. I'm too lazy to put together an updated reel but you can check out my school reel, it has aircraft in it.

Awesome Demo reel, you have some serious talent!

Yeah, I want to second Nanashi's opinion about the Canon rebel sensors. Or even the EOS line. While you can certainly get some cinematic looks from dslrs, particularly if the intended exhibition format is online, the crummy h264 encoding and the noisy sensor make keying work a real pain. I've seen 5D and 7D footage mixed fairly successfully with footage from higher end cameras (REDs or Alexas) to pretty good effect. DRIVE was shot primarily with an Alexa, but had a bunch of 5D sequences cut in. If it were possible for you to shoot practically with the Canon and then do your VFX work with a higher-grade sensor, you'd make life a lot easier on your VFX team.

That said, sometimes you work with what you've got. And we can sit around here and debate the merits of dslrs all day and not roll a frame of footage. So. Perhaps the best plan is to just MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Still, I think you'll need to work up a treatment to present to the community here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got planned.

OKAY! Now that I'm back from my WWII reenactment, I can take some time to answer some questions and comments!

Your war film reminds me a lot of the kind of stuff I shot with friends for years, save for the fact that while your film wasn't perfect, you FINISHED IT! I don't think I've finished anything. It was clear that you had serious technical limitations, but you still put shots together and made things work. Awesome!

Its too bad we're spread all over the US. I think there is enough film making and VFX knowledge around here to pull something off if it weren't for our locations. That said I'm still interested in doing what I can to help.

Having a green screen studio with lighting gives you a good leg up. I shot on a T2i (same sensor as the T3i and T4i) for a long time and I can tell you unless you're at 100ISO, it keys like crap. And with it being a cropped sensor, its hard to get enough light in a green screen situation to keep the ISO low.

As for the jet cockpit, you could probably get some good footage with one of those self-deploying green/blue screens and a few good lights.

Since you're currently working on costuming, what are you doing for the helmet?

Glad you liked it! I'll keep that in mind about the Canon. I've done SOME green screening and it WAS a bitch.

About the helmets, I'm building them more like a TV series SDF style- or pretty much the helmets from Zero, just without the face mask. The reason behind this is that I only have two helmets right now and I can't make them unique to each character. Instead of doing a full face shield that will conceal the actor's face but have a unique paintjob, I'm doing the opposite.

Interesting idea, however I'd suggest changing the name of the F-14E "Mega" Tomcat to the "Super" Tomcat. That seems to be a popular way the navy distinguishes an early version of the same aircraft to the upgrade, i.e. Hornet vs "Super" Hornet; very different aircraft, but essentially the same air frame.

There already was an F-14 Super Tomcat, the term "MegaTomcat" is actually based on a name for a hypothetical successor the B-52 StratoFortress in Dale Brown's novel "Flight of the Old Dog" that was called the B-52R "MegaFortress".

VERY impressive. That is exactly the kind of CG I would love to have in the film. I've been working on the treatment during the week, and although work has been slowed down with school, I think I might have a treatment by the end of this week. I'll make adjustments as needed and start the first draft of the script ;)

That is awesome they have one, are they for certain going to let you use it?, the Air Museum near Forbes Airfield (Topeka, KS) has a Tomcat there too!

This sounds like a really fun project, if I new how to do CGI I would volunteer in a heartbeat! B))

I haven't gotten around to asking them YET, but that museum is usually cool with that kinds of stuff. if worst comes to worst, however, I plan on buying at LEAST a deactivated ejection seat (or building one) and filming in front of a green screen.

Guys, seriously, thanks for the interest. I'm taking notes on advice you are giving me and I DREAM of this working.

I haven't gotten around to asking them YET, but that museum is usually cool with that kinds of stuff. if worst comes to worst, however, I plan on buying at LEAST a deactivated ejection seat (or building one) and filming in front of a green screen.

First rule of Art Department: Never buy what you can rent! Unless for some reason buying is cheaper.

dude! your imdb says you did work on Transformers DOTM and Titanic 3D,that is seriously cool!

There already was an F-14 Super Tomcat, the term "MegaTomcat" is actually based on a name for a hypothetical successor the B-52 StratoFortress in Dale Brown's novel "Flight of the Old Dog" that was called the B-52R "MegaFortress".

True, that was the name of the F-14D that flew up until 2006, but since yours will be the "E" you could call it what the next upgrade to the F-14 was going to be before the F-18 was named its successor.

The "Attack Super Tomcat - 21st Century" aka AST-21 ( http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-history-f14x.htm ). At least that way there would be some historical verity to the name.

Something to consider

I look forward to the read.

Edited by Zinjo

Eat this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fp8hhXaMfQ, macross freaks, and envy Robotech witnesses!

I think what you posted, or rather how you worded it, is extremely offensive. He's not eating anything, he has an idea for a Macross film and apparently has an EXTREMELY talented Hollywood professional looking into helping with some of the animation. Neither one of these projects should be "eating" the other one, nor are we freaks and there's very little to envy of Robotech as the toy and video game threads prove that product for Macross keeps getting released officially. The only thing to Robotech's name at this point is a fan made movie.

Eat this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fp8hhXaMfQ, macross freaks, and envy Robotech witnesses!

I've seen the work from this team before and it certainly is studio quality.

It is sad that this will only ever be a fan film. Big West will never consent to an RT film using their Macross property or any of its elements.

HG can continue to produce toys and comic books using Macross elements as that falls under "merchandizing", but they know they can't produce animation or live action films using Macross elements as that Intellectual property is exclusively owned by Big West.

These South American guys truly have a future in film, their skills are remarkable!!! :)

Edited by Zinjo

I think what you posted, or rather how you worded it, is extremely offensive. He's not eating anything, he has an idea for a Macross film and apparently has an EXTREMELY talented Hollywood professional looking into helping with some of the animation. Neither one of these projects should be "eating" the other one, nor are we freaks and there's very little to envy of Robotech as the toy and video game threads prove that product for Macross keeps getting released officially. The only thing to Robotech's name at this point is a fan made movie.

I am aware of it, and consider it as a poke to the people who like to trash about marcross vs. robotech stuff.

I like what I read man, flows nicely and the characters have a certian charm about them. The ending I think could use abit more,I like it but I feel that its missing something,Just cant put my finger on it at the moment.

Would be great to see it filmed.

I am aware of it, and consider it as a poke to the people who like to trash about marcross vs. robotech stuff.

I've been to both camp's forums and I have to say the trash talking comes predominately from the RT camp...

Macross fans get "annoyed" when RT supporters spout the HG corporate mis-information regarding rights and what can and cannot be done with the RT property.

Though this group in South America has real talent!

I like what I read man, flows nicely and the characters have a certian charm about them. The ending I think could use abit more,I like it but I feel that its missing something,Just cant put my finger on it at the moment.

Would be great to see it filmed.

Well, that's why I posted it here, for all of you to read and help me improve it ;)