Destiny, new game from Bungie

Mr March

Edit:

Oh yeah. Got my first purple engram tonight. It decrypted into purple gauntlets. That I actually needed.

I mention this mainly to irk everyone that's suffered under the tyranny of the cryptarchs. :p

I got a purple engram earlier too, it decrypted into exotic gloves. :p

that I can't actually use. :mellow:

because I already have a fully upgrade exotic chest-plate equipped. :p :P

That Brings my current exotic gear count to 8.

54804045_zps254d0c0f.jpg

I'm still all blue. No purple or yellow for me.

That said, there's a satisfaction that comes with punching a Wizard to death. Or a Captain, or a Knight, or a Minotaur. Or a Fallen Walker. Or Sepiks Prime.

I'd say punching Phogoth the Untamed to death is satisfying, but there is nothing satisfying about The Summoning Pits.

I'm still all blue. No purple or yellow for me.

Don't worry, you'll get there.

That said, there's a satisfaction that comes with punching a Wizard to death. Or a Captain, or a Knight, or a Minotaur. Or a Fallen Walker. Or Sepiks Prime.

I'd say punching Phogoth the Untamed to death is satisfying, but there is nothing satisfying about The Summoning Pits.

My most satisfying melee kill is still my first run in the Sword of Crota mission.

I almost had the last swarm prince killed, and decided I wasn't going to kill him with his own sword. I'm a warrior of the light, a blade of horrible infinite blackness is unbecoming. Look, sometimes I do stupid things in-game for the sake of appearances, okay?

So I hit the change weapon button, dropped the sword, and smacked melee. Launched a throwing knife and hit him square between the eyes for all the damage.

That's how you clear a mission in style.

The titanfist is pretty damn fun, though. Not gonna lie.

My take/stratagy on marks and rep:

1: do the random strike playlist: especially Vanguard Tiger. tiger pays the best (6 marks and 25 rep), and the strikes are still super easy to breath through. you can rack up your 100 marks in a couple afternoons, which frees your time up to do other things that will boost your rep.

2: reps are IMO more important than marks. there's no cap to reps you can earn per day or per week, and there's a lot more ways to earn reps. after rank 3, it takes the same number of reps to rank up every time and you get a random piece of gear every time you rank up. if you focus on doing activities that increase rep, you can easily do a couple ranks a week or more.

3: just go play crucible, once your skill tree is about 60% done you're pretty much on par with everyone else in crucible and super common low level guns like shingen-e's are just as dominant as exotic auto rifles because they ignore attack and armor stats. you can earn even more marks, more reps and do more bounties if you do, so you can double the amount of stuff you can earn in a week on one character.

4: if you absolutely refuse to play crucible, do this: go to cosmodrome, and farm for spinmetal and chests while doing patrols and killing mobs. you'll get a lot of loot that way, a fair amount of xp and glimmer, and you can get a ton of spinmetal that you can turn around and sell to the crucible quartermaster. by selling to crucible, you'll gain reps and marks with them while you're already earning the same stuff from vanguard, and you didn't have to play crucible.

5: wait for patch 1.0.2. engram drops will yield better loot, and the daily heroic, weekly heroic, and vanguard tiger will all have the possiblility of dropping legendary gear. all three of those are super easy to do.

My take/stratagy on marks and rep:

1: do the random strike playlist: especially Vanguard Tiger. tiger pays the best (6 marks and 25 rep), and the strikes are still super easy to breath through. you can rack up your 100 marks in a couple afternoons, which frees your time up to do other things that will boost your rep.

2: reps are IMO more important than marks. there's no cap to reps you can earn per day or per week, and there's a lot more ways to earn reps. after rank 3, it takes the same number of reps to rank up every time and you get a random piece of gear every time you rank up. if you focus on doing activities that increase rep, you can easily do a couple ranks a week or more.

3: just go play crucible, once your skill tree is about 60% done you're pretty much on par with everyone else in crucible and super common low level guns like shingen-e's are just as dominant as exotic auto rifles because they ignore attack and armor stats. you can earn even more marks, more reps and do more bounties if you do, so you can double the amount of stuff you can earn in a week on one character.

4: if you absolutely refuse to play crucible, do this: go to cosmodrome, and farm for spinmetal and chests while doing patrols and killing mobs. you'll get a lot of loot that way, a fair amount of xp and glimmer, and you can get a ton of spinmetal that you can turn around and sell to the crucible quartermaster. by selling to crucible, you'll gain reps and marks with them while you're already earning the same stuff from vanguard, and you didn't have to play crucible.

5: wait for patch 1.0.2. engram drops will yield better loot, and the daily heroic, weekly heroic, and vanguard tiger will all have the possiblility of dropping legendary gear. all three of those are super easy to do.

The more you know.

-b.

Agreed, the last few days was just boot and given codes, Centipede, Marionberry, etc etc.

I didn't realize you can sell the spin metal to the crucible quartermaster cause I've just been collecting these suckers and I must have like 50 of these sitting in my vault and another 20 in my inventory. And I got tons of other stuff I've been given for dismanteling equipment that's incredibly low level and other odd items.

I discovered the shading deal and bought a couple of colors but really partial to this blue and orange combination I got with my Nemesis gear. I look snazzy.

note on material selling, you can currently sell spinmetal, helium filament, spirit bloom and relic iron. They buy it from you in units of 50. be aware that once you start getting legendary and exotic gear, you will need these materials along with weapon/armor parts and glimmer to upgrade the gear. a single piece of armor will only take one type of material, and will only use it for attack power upgrades.

The reason I recommend spinmetal is it's easier to farm large quantities quickly compared other materials do to how much tends to spawn in a small area.

I'm hoping that bungie at some point implements further options for buying and selling materials. I've got something like 800 sapphire wire which I can only use on hunter armor and nowhere else. I'd like to be able to sell some of it, as I'm never going to go through all of it.

And I just witnessed one perfect moment of Destiny.

Human warlock standing by the fence in the Tower, dancing.

Exo titan one-upping him by standing ON the fence, dancing.

Awoken hunter one-upping THAT guy by leaping over the fence to stand on the landing pylons over the chasm. Dancing.

All races and creeds setting aside their differences to unite for one brief, glorious instant in a common goal: gettin' down.

And then the server dropped me.

And I just witnessed one perfect moment of Destiny.

Human warlock standing by the fence in the Tower, dancing.

Exo titan one-upping him by standing ON the fence, dancing.

Awoken hunter one-upping THAT guy by leaping over the fence to stand on the landing pylons over the chasm. Dancing.

All races and creeds setting aside their differences to unite for one brief, glorious instant in a common goal: gettin' down.

And then the server dropped me.

Apparently that was too much "bass" for your connection to handle. :lol:

I've seen folks sitting on that pylon before, personally I prefer to do my dancing on top of the stand where you get your mail.

-b.

I've honestly never seen anyone else on the pylon. Though I've been known to send my character out to the end of it and have her sit down and just enjoy the view while I do something else.

Takes a bit of fidgeting to get her sitting ON the pylon instead of with her butt on the pylon and her arms and legs propped against empty space.

Look, we already established I do dumb things for the sake of appearances. Just looks like it's the kind of place my crazy huntress would choose to kick back and relax. Like the sci-fi future version of a sturdy tree on the side of a mountain. And so, I wind up resting on a landing pylon for a bit every now and again, then wiggle the camera to get a good view of the city below and mountains beyond.

I was sitting at one point in the tower cause I needed to text someone. I look up and I see someone sliding back and forth slamming into my character. I eventually got up and left but this yahoo followed me and when I stopped to buy things he's be running in a circle around me or dancing.

similar incident when I was doing cosmodrome patrols and some hunter kept dancing as he took my kills and pissing me off. he's then shoot at me.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone still playing? I bought the DLC and tried to run the raid with some friends. It's an absolute clusterfrakk. our team was doing pretty good and was keeping pace with the major stream teams, then we hit the final boss encounter.

it took about 3~4 hours to get to the final encounter. three hours after that we finally called it quits trying to kill crota. IGN's team and streamhouse are both still stuck there, and King Gothalion's team gave up and decided to run other stuff until they can all hit level 31.

they're always patching a lot of problems. and what's really annoying? all games that've come out since the ps4 and Xbox 1 with hard drive installed games all seem to have problems and you constantly need to download a patch that fixes a couple of major flaws.

they're always patching a lot of problems. and what's really annoying? all games that've come out since the ps4 and Xbox 1 with hard drive installed games all seem to have problems and you constantly need to download a patch that fixes a couple of major flaws.

Console gaming has been like that for years. Hell, PC gaming has been like that for almost 20 years.

• 6 months later...

Words... I don't have them right now.

https://youtu.be/VFh5ArG46_M

Here's two

Oh hey look some new bullet sponges and finally the addition of stuff that was obviously omitted from the launch game, and would you look at that, only the full cost of a new game.

frakk you, Bungie, you reprehensible sellouts. Activision puppets.

aeee42f9bb5e91ea9a3537d5f5466f7ab78852f8

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

• 2 weeks later...

And I decided to stop dicking about with my level 29 huntress for a bit and play with my titan, who I've raised from 4 to 12 over the last couple of days.

I'd forgotten that Venus has been completely broken for low-levels since the Vault raid went live. Stupid level ?? vex blasting me as I try to get past the vault I can't enter.

Bad enough when it's just the one ?? hulk monstrosity sitting there standing guard. He can be avoided if you remember he's there and don't draw the patrol mission that demands you camp on a pillar directly in front of him for ten seconds.

But this time I apparently tried to pass through while a party was trying to open the vault, as the area was SWARMING with ??s, all perfectly willing to give up the defense of the vault for a few seconds to one-shot a passing scrub.

Edited by JB0

And I decided to stop dicking about with my level 29 huntress for a bit and play with my titan, who I've raised from 4 to 12 over the last couple of days.

I'd forgotten that Venus has been completely broken for low-levels since the Vault raid went live. Stupid level ?? vex blasting me as I try to get past the vault I can't enter.

Bad enough when it's just the one ?? hulk monstrosity sitting there standing guard. He can be avoided if you remember he's there and don't draw the patrol mission that demands you camp on a pillar directly in front of him for ten seconds.

But this time I apparently tried to pass through while a party was trying to open the vault, as the area was SWARMING with ??s, all perfectly willing to give up the defense of the vault for a few seconds to one-shot a passing scrub.

Oh to be so young and naive and low level again. I've had 3 max level characters for so long I can't even remember the last time I encountered an invulnerable enemy.

I really get a kick out of how dangerous the house of wolves expansion has made the cosmodrome for kindergardians. There's nothing quite like watching a low level run into a room full of level 1 enemies thinking they've got this only to be one shot buy a level 28 yellow bar captain. :p

Ok, while I am a little burned out from Destiny, that Taken King (rather uninteresting name) looks kind of cool. New skills, new areas, and maybe a boss that won't just stand there and let you kill him with his sword, lol.

And all "wandering" enemies will be raised to level 35 to ensure no one that isn't already overlevelled for a raid can have any fun.

(One too many incidents with enemies that simply shouldn't be on the patrol map last night.)