Destiny, new game from Bungie

Mr March

First time can be messy if you aren't in a pre-formed group.

yeah, it took so long to finish the crab tank that one guy bailed on us, and then the other person quit after we got taken out by the glowing purple orb thing twice. I ended up completing the final boss battle solo. :wacko:

so I tried doing the co-op strike mission... oh god was that painful.

Agreed! Got obliterated the first time I tried the Strike mission on my own, even with my character at Level 8.

First time can be messy if you aren't in a pre-formed group.

Can be messy with one, when I played last night it was with my best friend and some random dude that got lumped into our Fireteam, we got our asses handed to us a couple of times before it was all said and done (starting with the taking the barriers down, the tank and the main Orb).

-b.

It's odd, I seem to have better luck just going on my own, since I was able to do the orb solo, and I've killed at least two walker tanks during public events basically solo.

another important lesson learned though: while the sniper and scout rifle I have are awesome for fighting bosses and other NPC's they're esentually useless in crucible PVP.

So with it going open beta(and me realizing it's PS360 as well as PS4/XB1), I sat down and played it for a bit.

Then played it for a good bit more. Game's the shizzle, and I totally want it.

Except I want it on PC. :(

It's not so much platform allegiance as I don't have a PS4 or X1, and I don't want to settle for the watered down version that runs on decade-old hardware.

I can't wait for the full release. The beta has been really fun, but there's so much stuff that's being dangled in front of your face that you can't get to because it's locked until the full version comes out.

Except I want it on PC. :(

It's not so much platform allegiance as I don't have a PS4 or X1, and I don't want to settle for the watered down version that runs on decade-old hardware.

Yeah, welcome to the club buddy.

I can't wait for the full release. The beta has been really fun, but there's so much stuff that's being dangled in front of your face that you can't get to because it's locked until the full version comes out.

this

-b.

Anyone get to play the moon mission?

I did. The mission was short, but the map itself was a nice change of pace from the cosmodrome.

:edit:

And now the beta is over, see you all on September 9th...

I'm so sad. :(

:edit::edit:

BTW, is anyone else thinking about getting the ghost edition?

http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy/editions?edition=ghostEdition

Edited by anime52k8

Anyone get to play the moon mission?

Yep! And I ran it Han Solo, got my ass handed to me the first few times at the temple, but it was a lot of fun.

I did. The mission was short, but the map itself was a nice change of pace from the cosmodrome.

:edit:

And now the beta is over, see you all on September 9th...

I'm so sad. :(

:edit::edit:

BTW, is anyone else thinking about getting the ghost edition?

http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy/editions?edition=ghostEdition

Sad, too.

I per-ordered the Limited Edition, the Ghost Edition had stuff, like the Ghost itself that I'd end up doing absolutely nothing with.

-b.

Apparently it doesn't matter if I want the Collectors edition or not because it and the ghost bundle are sold out everywhere.

BTW, I went back to play some Bungie designed halo. I am seriously glad they've finally figured out how to implement decent button layouts and vehicle controls for destiny.

Apparently it doesn't matter if I want the Collectors edition or not because it and the ghost bundle are sold out everywhere.

I must've gotten in right under the wire on Gamestop's allocation off their website.

I was kind of wondering if they had a bunch of unspoken-for stock or if they were just leaving preorders open so they'd have a backup list if someone's payment failed. I guess they did just have more stock.

Destiny was the fist ever Beta I participated in and I had an absolute blast.

I haven't had this much in a game since I played a small title called Mass Effect. I'm really stoked to get the full version in my hands so I can kill tons and tons of my free time with it.

-b.

Cya on XB1 for this Benson. :D

Good, because apparently there's no matchmaking for raids: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/31/destinys-end-game-raids-require-five-other-friends-to-play/

(there will be 2 raids at launch, and there a completely different animal from the strike mission in the beta).

Edited by anime52k8

Good, because apparently there's no matchmaking for raids: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/31/destinys-end-game-raids-require-five-other-friends-to-play/

(there will be 2 raids at launch, and there a completely different animal from the strike mission in the beta).

Keeps curse words to myself.

That's the type of nonsense that made me initially shy away from Destiny when it was announced. I like co-op play, but when (or if) rules get put into place that say you have to have 5 or 6 people playing at the same time or else you're SoL then it makes me not a happy camper.

And that article seems like it was written for me and my peers, we fit the bill with regards to "real-world" roles and responsibilities.

Oh well, hopefully there will be enough constructive feedback that this will either change, or not come to pass.

-b.

The raids are the only thing that won't have matchmaking/can't be played solo (as I understand it). there's still 32 story missions and 23 strike missions vs 2 raids. I'm OK with requiring friends only, but I wonder if you will absolutely need a full team of 6 to do the raids. it'll really suck and I don't think I'd even want to do it if they'll set it up with bullshit puzzle rooms that require all six people to hit buttons at the same time or some such crap. I like things which are meant to be played in groups, but can be played solo if your skilled, geared up, and crazy enough to do it.

either way, I can't wait til September.

The raids are the only thing that won't have matchmaking/can't be played solo (as I understand it). there's still 32 story missions and 23 strike missions vs 2 raids. I'm OK with requiring friends only, but I wonder if you will absolutely need a full team of 6 to do the raids. it'll really suck and I don't think I'd even want to do it if they'll set it up with bullshit puzzle rooms that require all six people to hit buttons at the same time or some such crap. I like things which are meant to be played in groups, but can be played solo if your skilled, geared up, and crazy enough to do it.

either way, I can't wait til September.

agreed

and again, I ran that Moon mission solo because I was running late and missed when my friends started, and I had a blast

-b.

• 5 weeks later...

The Traveler has turned much of we know about science on its head. Mars, Venus, and likely other planets have been terraformed. The "Golden Age" that is now in the past of Destiny was technology sufficiently advanced enough to seem like magic to us. The opening cinematic has your skeletal remains resurrected by the Ghost voiced by Dinklage. So, gravity on the Moon? Yeah, this isn't the Apollo Moon landing.

Gravity is gravity, unless they built grav generators into the moon or significantly increased its mass, then the surface gravity will still be 1/6 that of Earth's.

In other words, the game took the lazy route and is not showing different gravities.

Gravity is gravity, unless they built grav generators into the moon or significantly increased its mass, then the surface gravity will still be 1/6 that of Earth's.

In other words, the game took the lazy route and is not showing different gravities.

There isn't anything about this game that strikes me as lazy. Characters have the ability to double jump--and some even hover--without the use of jet packs or visible propulsion systems. Mastering gravity clearly isn't an issue.

Hell, the Traveler helps turns Mercury into "a garden world." Again, these aren't worlds as we know them now.

it's not trying to be hard sci-fi, it's fantasy with a space setting. It's like Star Wars but with bullets; just go with it and don't get hung up on the nonsensical bits.

Edited by anime52k8

Mercury is a garden world????

I just get tired of all sci-fi not accounting for the fact that other planets/moons have different lengths of days/years/etc... and gravity levels. Sheol even the latest wolfenstein game had different gravity effects when the character was on the surface.

Mercury is a garden world????

I just get tired of all sci-fi not accounting for the fact that other planets/moons have different lengths of days/years/etc... and gravity levels. Sheol even the latest wolfenstein game had different gravity effects when the character was on the surface.

They did account for it, and took it out of the equation by introducing the Traveler. Super-future technology terraforming FTW.