Destiny, new game from Bungie

Mr March

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't terribly impressed with that gameplay video. It looks too much like Halo, and I'd rather play a new game. Hopefully my impressions are wrong and it turns out Bungie has made some changes to the basic Halo gameplay...

If by Halo you mean ME3 Multiplayer, then I would agree. If you mean it just looks like a FPS, then I say "DUH."

Ok, just to clarify: when someone says a FPS is "Halo-like," do they actually mean it's "Quake-like"? You know, in the way that people call certain MMO's "WoW clones" when in fact they are Everquest clones (including WoW).

I've never played Halo, so I need some direction here.

Edited by Duke Togo

I'd say that's fair to describe by analogy, albeit Doom is too far removed technologically to be an applicable analogy to Halo in any way except the most basic (they are both FPS). But most modern shooters have a traceable recent-history lineage with respect to the way the 3D engine performs. Halo engine seems inspired by Unreal, Call of Duty engine seems inspired by Quake, etc

Since you've never played Halo - and assuming "Destiny" is as Halo-like as some people claim (which I question) - you may find a lot to enjoy that most other gamers would not simply due to unfamiliarity. Even though Destiny perhaps isn't all that new or innovative, it will be a really different and enjoyable gaming experience for the uninitiated.

IIRC there are two game engines that most FPS's are based on, the old favourite and much modified and bolted onto Unreal engine, used originally by Unreal, still a great game with a modern graphics card. The next heavy hitter is the Cryengine a lot of recent games take this one into bat, even the latest Mechwarrior game uses it. There are others that I am sure members here can post about though.

So with this in mind it is no wonder they all work and look similar.

IIRC there are two game engines that most FPS's are based on, the old favourite and much modified and bolted onto Unreal engine, used originally by Unreal, still a great game with a modern graphics card. The next heavy hitter is the Cryengine a lot of recent games take this one into bat, even the latest Mechwarrior game uses it. There are others that I am sure members here can post about though.

So with this in mind it is no wonder they all work and look similar.

Plus, we're talking FPS here. It's one perspective in different environments with different weapons. Sure, some of the ancillary mechanics change, but its still just pointing a gun and shooting.

• 7 months later...

Continues to look enticing. The only worry I personally have is that it will be released during a time when I am getting involved in too many other games with as much or more potential than Destiny itself. Star Citizen is coming, Evolve is on the way too, and there's also Wasteland 2. It's getting a little crowded for me :)

Well, the story, visuals and gameplay look good. If it comes out for PC I might give it a whirl. Though, Mercury became a garden world, seriously, do these people not study science at all?

Guest davidwhangchoi

i've been playing destiny alpha all weekend and a bit today. (though it supposedly ended, it's still up)

it feels really like borderlands 2 with much better feel for shooting mechanics. very haloish feel. which is a good thing for some.

i did the story sample main story mission, multiplayer that is like domination in cod.. the final part i tried was 3 player co-op story mission mode. freaking that part is really hard. there's an area where several waves on enemies come while your drone is hacking a system to break through a door. and you got to stop all waves of enemies. but when all three members of the team dies, it re spawns you all the way back at the beginning of the waves of enemies. our team tried for 1 hour straight and couldn't break through so we had to abandon the mission. it was really hard. i think the spawn points are not realistic. (i'm sure bungie is testing and adjusting)

after playing it, i was convinced that the 500 million Bungie put into it is worth it.

the one part i didn't like was the enemies regenerate in the same exact formation in the same areas if you just move 10 feet from an area and back track. so it becomes very repetitive and annoying (different form skyrim.)

I played the alpha all weekend with friends. We really enjoyed our time with it. I'm definitely looking forward to it's release.

BTW, that's 500 million invested in a 10-year development plan for the Destiny franchise, not on the first game alone.

So it does have a single player storyline? If so good, I don't have time to coordinate online play with a team.

It's an MMOFPS.

Edited by Duke Togo

I played the alpha all weekend with friends. We really enjoyed our time with it. I'm definitely looking forward to it's release.

BTW, that's 500 million invested in a 10-year development plan for the Destiny franchise, not on the first game alone.

It's an MMOFPS.

Well I'm out then. I don't play games without good single player storylines. Even as cool as Titanfall looks, I'm not going to get it if I have to go online to play it. I skipped on Star Wars: The Old Republic for the same reason.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well I'm out then. I don't play games without good single player storylines. Even as cool as Titanfall looks, I'm not going to get it if I have to go online to play it. I skipped on Star Wars: The Old Republic for the same reason.

you'll be able to play single player campaign. maybe just some of the bonus stuff you'll need to players to join in. i played the single player mission on the beta and it feels like halo. no extra players needed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/16/will-you-be-able-to-play-all-of-destiny-on-your-own

you'll be able to play single player campaign. maybe just some of the bonus stuff you'll need to players to join in. i played the single player mission on the beta and it feels like halo. no extra players needed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/16/will-you-be-able-to-play-all-of-destiny-on-your-own

Right, but it's not a "campaign." It's a multiplayer open world game that has sections that can be played solo. But you'll still see other players in the game world around you. In that sense it's no different than SWTOR and the vast majority of other MMOs. Edited by Duke Togo

I'm totally stoked for this. The amount of players is a great balance. I can play by myself or with a few friends without interference from the tard farm. I can hop into a public event if I want some chaos. September just isn't coming fast enough.

I'm totally stoked for this. The amount of players is a great balance. I can play by myself or with a few friends without interference from the tard farm. I can hop into a public event if I want some chaos. September just isn't coming fast enough.

And that's the key, really. PvP is walled off into "The Crucible," which handles the standard FPS

Multiplayer modes for players to "test" themselves against other players to prep for the real enemy. There aren't any open world player on player shenanigans for those who are soured on such interactions.

I admit I was really skeptical about Destiny for awhile, but after seeing lots of Alpha footage I'm ready to pre-order. I believe I read the beta or some other public demo was eventually coming to X1, so I'm excited to personally give it a run. Also, I thought this was interesting, I'm guessing there's very little confidence in the X1 selling in Japan, which was expected.

http://kotaku.com/destiny-is-a-playstation-exclusive-in-japan-1591865980