Destiny, new game from Bungie

Mr March

Haven't seen a topic about this one yet, but it looks like Bungie is beginning the advance marketing for its new game titled Destiny. The game is a FPS, but looks like a lot more with a much broader, more interactive game environment and social network considerations. A new look at the game has been released:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/bungie-talks-about-destiny/2300-7056/

This looks like a great new project. It feels like a lot of the creativity from this studio is once again at the forefront for Destiny. They may just have more to them than Halo, which would be a nice surprise. Anyone else interested?

From the description of how things work, it almost seems impossible to have an actual plot in there. Lots of "quests" yeah, and possibly a MassEffect-sized universe/backstory, but not much for actual "events in a sequence to tell a tale".

In short---Halo without the story, just a really really nice multiplayer mode. Which has zero appeal to me.

I personally can't wait. I'm gonna be hitting my buddy at Bungie up constantly.

Just for some gee whiz Bungie was throwing out hints about this game back in Halo:ODST with all the Destiny posters on the building exteriors of the buildings.

So far there are 4 games scheduled every other year with a major DLC release in between each main release.

While (like others have said) the idea of little to no story doesn't really appeal to me, I do like the idea of being immersed in a game full-time. Sure there's not much they can do besides maybe an app or two for your phone, but I haven't played a game like this with "raids" for consoles with my friends since PSU. I'm going to be giving it a try.

Edited by TyrValein

I must admit, I'm a little underwhelmed.

Right now, it reminds me of a 2013 version of Garriot's original Tabula Rasa. And the 'hype reel' they've put out is all that - hype - and not much substance. I'd like to see some actual gameplay. The concept art looks gorgeous, but... doesn't it always?

I've been a Bungie fan since Marathon. They have an amazing team. I just hope we see something a little different here...

The idea of no PC-release REALLY doesn't appeal to me.

Weren't we supposed to have cross platform compatibility that would let PC and all major console brand play online together by now? What ever happened to that?

Quite simple, they can't sell consoles if you can just hop on any system and play. It's all about being exclusive.

Weren't we supposed to have cross platform compatibility that would let PC and all major console brand play online together by now? What ever happened to that?

Quite simple, they can't sell consoles if you can just hop on any system and play. It's all about being exclusive.

Meaning Microsoft put the kibosh on that.

Skylanders is a perfect example of selling your game anywhere and it doing insanely well. Granted it's toys and Pokemon level nerddom, but you get my point.

That said, I think MSs big dreams of switching back and forth from Xbox to PC is a few years out as you still can't buy just ANY PC to play a lot of these games. Windows 8 across all platforms points that out now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I walked in to a gamestop yesturday to check on my Bioshock preorder and I noticed they had a big stand up in the middle of the store advertising pre-orders for this game. it's got no release date and probably won't be out until late next year at the earliest and they're already talking pre-order bonuses. :rolleyes:

:edit:

filled out the beta questionnaire. was quick and easy. It's kind of odd logging in to my bungie.net account for the first time in years. Just dusty old halo 3 stats. :p

Edited by anime52k8

• 2 months later...

hey, it's that dude from Revolution who's kind of an a-hole.

I want to be excited for this. I need an excuse to want to buy an Xbox One when it comes out. (In addition to Watch Dogs and Halo 5).

Edited by anime52k8

Gameplay footage revealed June 10th, I can wait. I'll probably pick this up based on the footage that day and set it up for reserve. HOWEVER...........yeah -_- It'll probably be Xbox 1.

Word on the street is that it'll be for PS3/4 and Xbox 360/1. During these transition periods most games are released for both generations.

I was decidedly underwhelmed by this video. If you're going to give us a non-gameplay trailer, then at least do it with the style that TOR did, okay?

Sadly, not all trailers can reach that lofty standard of grossly misrepresenting the actual gameplay experience.

hey, it's that dude from Revolution who's kind of an a-hole.

I was thinking hey, it's that drug dealer guy from Breaking Bad that's definitely and a-hole.

Sadly, not all trailers can reach that lofty standard of grossly misrepresenting the actual gameplay experience.

I know :) But they DID set the story and were hella entertaining to boot. That Destiny trailer... just some dudes standing around and shooting at other enemy dudes while a real dude is reciting a poem to some possible little dudes?

Fail.

• 1 month later...

Interesting looking, but is it strictly online multiplayer? I hope not I like a game with a story, not just MP only garbage. Right now the biggest impression I get it is that it is an MP 1st person mass effect clone, ME powers and all.

Interesting looking, but is it strictly online multiplayer? I hope not I like a game with a story, not just MP only garbage. Right now the biggest impression I get it is that it is an MP 1st person mass effect clone, ME powers and all.

SP, Co-Op, and MP