Sent a private message.

Tatsunoko and Harmony gold puts those of us living outside of Japan in a difficult position by actually preventing non-Japanese speakers from seeing these wonderful series in a responsible manner.

Do whatever you can to support the Japanese Macross franchise and Big West & Shoji Kawamori.
But honestly, prevention of enjoying art and preventing viewers that want to own and watch it is a crime unto itself.

To me, there are only 4 works of Macross:

1. SDFM the show

2. DYRL the movie

3. Flashback 2012 a short music video

4. Macross Zero could have been 10x better with some small details changed

Macross Plus and Macross 2 are kinda cool but I don't really see them as "Macross."

To me, there is not Macross 7

I'm kind of in the same boat about not knowing what to watch next. My introduction into the world of Macross was via Robotech way back in the mid-80s and never thought about it ever again until several weeks ago. Since then, I've watched the original/true SDF Macross and DYRL. I started Macross Plus, but for some reason I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll have better luck with Macross Zero.

I'm kind of in the same boat about not knowing what to watch next. My introduction into the world of Macross was via Robotech way back in the mid-80s and never thought about it ever again until several weeks ago. Since then, I've watched the original/true SDF Macross and DYRL. I started Macross Plus, but for some reason I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll have better luck with Macross Zero.

Welcome back to fandom! There is alot of great material for you to catch up on!

Also sent you a message.

IMHO, if you *have to* cut stuff out, Watch Zero, because it's required for maximum Frontier enjoyment, then watch Frontier.

But, that's my opinion.

For everyone out there:

There are a few Macross SDF TV episodes that had scripts written, but never animated. [Galaxy Network] has translated them from the original Japanese. Great if you are a fan of Minmay, or have a skewed view of her due to rushed character development.

"SDF Macross My Fair Minmay [Galaxy Network]v2.pdf"

Edited by Kaldar5

To me, there are only 4 works of Macross:

1. SDFM the show

2. DYRL the movie

3. Flashback 2012 a short music video

4. Macross Zero could have been 10x better with some small details changed

Macross Plus and Macross 2 are kinda cool but I don't really see them as "Macross."

To me, there is not Macross 7

I should add that Frontier isn't half bad. If you like 1-4, then you will probably like Frontier. I should add though, I never finished Frontier, maybe it got better towards the end, maybe worse.

Whereabouts in Frontier did you stop? I think it got better towards the latter half, but then dipped a bit right before the very end.

Really, I think the change is overall about where most people start seeing Ranka as a stupid brat, and start cheering for Sheryl (for she becomes much less of a stuck-up bitch and more selfless) (sorry Ranka fans, but she went from "cute" to "stupid" over the course of the series)

Frontier is the only series that actually lives up to, and is in a similar class with, the original series and DYRL.

It does great with references to all the other series, but never actually doing things in the way you are expecting or are lead up to. Chock full of subverted or reversed tropes.

People here all have their opinions and favorite/hated characters, but the popularity, talent, album sales, toy sales, production quality, and successful extra movies of Frontier speaks for itself.

(sorry Ranka fans, but she went from "cute" to "stupid" over the course of the series)

Gonna disagree with this, but this particular post from an OP who is a new Macross viewer isn't the place to discuss it, both due to spoilers and possibly skewing perceptions of shows new people haven't seen yet.

Edited by Kaldar5

Whereabouts in Frontier did you stop? I think it got better towards the latter half, but then dipped a bit right before the very end.

Really, I think the change is overall about where most people start seeing Ranka as a stupid brat, and start cheering for Sheryl (for she becomes much less of a stuck-up bitch and more selfless) (sorry Ranka fans, but she went from "cute" to "stupid" over the course of the series)

I finished when they landed on a planet. Maybe it was the series end, but weren't there a few movies?

I can't really ask/say anything more without it being MASSIVE spoilers for newbies, but the odds are good you saw it all. The movies are very DYRL-ish, in that they're retelling the story in a new way, not "more stuff happening after what you saw". The movies are very skippable IMHO, I really only enjoyed the end of the first one. The rest was just "pretty new CG-filled Ranka and Sheryl songs".

• 3 weeks later...

I watched DYRL and just finished SDF. SDF was great!

Question is what should I watch next? (and any ideas where I can watch for free would be great too)

I would suggest Macross 7. It will grow on you, believe me. Just give it a first try, have patience and watch after the 13 th chapter.

I remember not liking it at first, but it grew on me. Mylene is the cutest character I have found in an anime so far, she steals the show many times along the series.

The plot becomes more and more exciting as time goes by, I dont want to throw spoilers, but man when Max's fleet is trying to catch Miria's through spacefolds most be the most thrilling things I have seen in the Macross series.

I really feel the link between SDFM and M7 because Max and Miria are there almost every episode. Yes there is silines but when I finished watching... I just wanted to watch more.

I bet M7 was a huge hit in the 90s.

I can understand why people bash it, but it is just to fun to miss it.

I would suggest Macross 7. It will grow on you, believe me. Just give it a first try, have patience and watch after the 13 th chapter.

I remember not liking it at first, but it grew on me. Mylene is the cutest character I have found in an anime so far, she steals the show many times along the series.

The plot becomes more and more exciting as time goes by, I dont want to throw spoilers, but man when Max's fleet is trying to catch Miria's through spacefolds most be the most thrilling things I have seen in the Macross series.

I really feel the link between SDFM and M7 because Max and Miria are there almost every episode. Yes there is silines but when I finished watching... I just wanted to watch more.

I bet M7 was a huge hit in the 90s.

I can understand why people bash it, but it is just to fun to miss it.

You said it!!

Plus, Mylene chewing out Basara daily was funny.

I like them all, watch them in chronological order though, you get to see the evolution of the Valkyries too.

But there is... and it's the longest Macross series to date.

I know, it's a shame. I've tried to watch it, believe me, I just can't get into any of the characters and Fire Bomber is intolerable to me. I'd rather be locked in a room with Shinji Ikari than have the endure 5 min of Basara :ph34r:

I know, it's a shame. I've tried to watch it, believe me, I just can't get into any of the characters and Fire Bomber is intolerable to me. I'd rather be locked in a room with Shinji Ikari than have the endure 5 min of Basara :ph34r:

Wow... you attack my favorite anime band AND my favorite anime character in a single post...? AMAZING!

Next, you'll be saying that Amuro is "emo" or some bullshit like that...

Easy tiger, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Also I believe their are some rules about language on this forum...

M7 fans are very serious about their affection for the show. The board kind of has a double standard. Someone can be obnoxious in defense of M7, but if you are obnoxious in insulting the show, then you are a troll. I'm with you man. To me, I find M7 being affiliated with my favorite film of all time (DYRL) to be degrading and shameful. I was in Tokyo last week though. People really hadn't heard of M7. They all knew DYRL though.

M7 fans are very serious about their affection for the show. The board kind of has a double standard. Someone can be obnoxious in defense of M7, but if you are obnoxious in insulting the show, then you are a troll. I'm with you man. To me, I find M7 being affiliated with my favorite film of all time (DYRL) to be degrading and shameful. I was in Tokyo last week though. People really hadn't heard of M7. They all knew DYRL though.

Dude, really...? You should've called or something...

in all honesty, even though I do like M7, they could've really condensed everything into 26 episodes and probably gotten better animation out of the deal. Plus "Planet Dance" wouldn't have been played about 80 times through the whole series.

Whose more annoying Ranka or Mylene? At least Minmay was allowed to grow up..

So annoying!

Even Mikimoto himself said she wasn't mature as a woman. Always telling people what to do, and it's almost always the wrong thing that will get people killed, then complains about it when she is ignored. Talks and daydreams about her perfect ex-boyfriend all the time. Insisted she could fly a valkyrie, grabbed the controls, then flipped it, screamed, closed her eyes, and crashed it. Then later insisted she should be put in control of a spaceship and got herself and 80,000 people killed or MIA. Oh wait, that was Misa. Sorry I am not sure who could even come close to this.

I have just started to watch M7 with very low expectations after seeing all the posts around the place about it, I will say its taken me 5 episodes to just begin to grow on me, it's different but it's not too bad.

Does it ever get past being a show about close ups of Basara's face...just joking...sort of.

Original series and M+ will always be my favourites though.

I have just started to watch M7 with very low expectations after seeing all the posts around the place about it, I will say its taken me 5 episodes to just begin to grow on me, it's different but it's not too bad.

Does it ever get past being a show about close ups of Basara's face...just joking...sort of.

Original series and M+ will always be my favourites though.

Yeah, it's not gawd awful, but it's definately not for everyone. And yeah... different. And like many others here have said, it's all about Basara. If you don't like him, you don't like the show. Simple as that.

Personally, I don't hate it. It's something hard core Macross fans should all watch. But I don't reccomend it to fans rediscovering Macross for early on viewing. IMHO it would make it a coin flip on if they continued to watch Macross or just give up on the universe.

Check in again with everyone when you finish the Original Mac 7 series (all of it before Dynamyte & specials) and let us know what you think of the last story arc plot and events.

So annoying!

Even Mikimoto himself said she wasn't mature as a woman. Always telling people what to do, and it's almost always the wrong thing that will get people killed, then complains about it when she is ignored. Talks and daydreams about her perfect ex-boyfriend all the time. Insisted she could fly a valkyrie, grabbed the controls, then flipped it, screamed, closed her eyes, and crashed it. Then later insisted she should be put in control of a spaceship and got herself and 80,000 people killed or MIA. Oh wait, that was Misa. Sorry I am not sure who could even come close to this.

HAHA. Great post

So annoying!

I've never been a fan of Misa, but It's clear from Macross TV that the real incompetent on the bridge was Global. I'm not joking. Until she melts for Hikaru, she's the only one on the bridge that has a certain grasp of the situation and knows what to do.

Oh, and Ranka wins hands down the Miss Most Annoying competition. Mylene has her bad moments, but at least she's not just a jellyfish with cute dresses. And she CAN play.