What's with the lack of Zero books/stuff?

unclechopchop

Of course I love the original like all of us do. But I gotta say that I am extremely bummed out of the lack of Macross Zero material. Sure we got a few things (very few compared to other series) like the VF-0 master files book, and a couple Yamato toys, but not nearly as much as any other of the series.

The absence of a Zero book (besides the masterfiles book) is mind blowing and should have never been passed over as it has.

This is my favorite, and probably the best (my opinion of course) series. Way better than Frontier (again, my opinion), but you not see ANY lack of material for it.

No character sheets, no mech layouts, no concept art. Nothing!

Does anybody here feel the same?

Edited by unclechopchop

Not at all. I loved the valks animation and dogfights everything regarding that thing under water was weird. I think that it was a bit to much to soon considering it was a prequel. Then again its a perfect explanation as to why Roy drank so much.

Personally I liked 0 a lot. I think people got really confused with the AFOS and decided that it was magic. But the fact is that it was all alien technology that was interacting with Sarah and the Mayan people. I always compare it to the old days when steam tech came into play with the churches in the ancient world. People thought it was mystic when they would step on the entry plate to the church and the doors would open up automatically. People would say it was an act of god or a mystical magical thing. The thing they did not understand was that there was a lot of the machinery and steam power at play.

As far as I can tell, Mac 0 was not very popular in Japan for some reason. It seems to me that it is more popular outside of Japan.

Spoilers, highlight to reveal:

||| The Islanders were direct descendants of the Protoculture, and still had their blood. The "Birdman" was to be the final judge placed by the Protoculture to see if the planet was worthy of being allowed to live, or should be destroyed for the sake of intergalactic peace.

Although Sara and Mao seemed to have precognitive abilities, they never knew anything before a simple radar would have detected it. The "Birdman" just sent them a warning whenever hostiles were detected to those with the proper DNA/Blood to receive the mental warning.
Same when Sara was "piloting" the "Birdman", it evaluated hostiles, and projected a combat HUD directly into her mind to the best of her limited understanding. Hostiles were nasty looking bad. She points em out, it kills 'em. |||

Arthur C Clarke: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

Living in peace was the original reason in DYRL as to why the Earth was seeded.

Yeah, they should make more Zero stuff. I wouldn't mind one of those early gun emplacement destroids.

Edited by Kaldar5

Spoilers, highlight to reveal:

||| The Islanders were direct descendants of the Protoculture, and still had their blood. The "Birdman" was to be the final judge placed by the Protoculture to see if the planet was worthy of being allowed to live, or should be destroyed for the sake of intergalactic peace.

Although Sara and Mao seemed to have precognitive abilities, they never knew anything before a simple radar would have detected it. The "Birdman" just sent them a warning whenever hostiles were detected to those with the proper DNA/Blood to receive the mental warning.

Same when Sara was "piloting" the "Birdman", it evaluated hostiles, and projected a combat HUD directly into her mind to the best of her limited understanding. Hostiles were nasty looking bad. She points em out, it kills 'em. |||

Arthur C Clarke: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

Living in peace was the original reason in DYRL as to why the Earth was seeded.

Yeah, they should make more Zero stuff. I wouldn't mind one of those early gun emplacement destroids.

Agree about all the Mechs. By the way, between the III in your post, is there suppose to be a pic there? It isn't showing if so.

Personally I liked 0 a lot. I think people got really confused with the AFOS and decided that it was magic. But the fact is that it was all alien technology that was interacting with Sarah and the Mayan people. I always compare it to the old days when steam tech came into play with the churches in the ancient world. People thought it was mystic when they would step on the entry plate to the church and the doors would open up automatically. People would say it was an act of god or a mystical magical thing. The thing they did not understand was that there was a lot of the machinery and steam power at play.

As far as I can tell, Mac 0 was not very popular in Japan for some reason. It seems to me that it is more popular outside of Japan.

Yeah, it's really weird how in Japan they tend to generally like real dry boring anime (along with their movies), while all the action based stuff is kinda shunned. Samurai Champloo is a very good example of that. Plus my cousin lives in Japan, and he pretty much confirms this to be the case.

By the way. If anybody is going to get up in arms about me stating this, I'm simply pointing out how different cultures perceive things. Nothing else.

Edited by unclechopchop

I think one problem is Zero came out at a time when art books weren't a high priority. Most of the artwork in it is available in things like Tenjin's two books and in the Shoji Kawamori design works. Also the liner notes that came with each DVD had a number of interviews inside.

There was a book planned, and it was advertised, with a title and everything, but it was eventually cancelled.

I think the lack of popularity is a certain thing, not just for Zero, but for Macross overall. Frontier was a miraculous success in that sense, that put the Macross name back on the map and reinvigorated interest in it for younger fans. Zero only catered to the older fanbase.

Does anybody want to enlighten us as to where the above scans came from?????

They're probably copies of the original settings materials. Like I said, there was supposed to be a sourcebook, but it was cancelled. Your best bet is to get the Macross Chronicle, as they reprint most of this stuff with figures and data. And you're in luck since the new edition has just started its serialized publication last month.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32805&page=13