Its Official!

dapro

This forum should make a sticky about how to collect the smart way! haha.

I just started buying in January after playing with some old toys in my parents basement. I've gotten a lot of good deals, but I've paid a lot of money in a short time.

I'm trying to stick to the idea that I don't need multiple paints of each sculpt, and picking across scales and lines the ones that have the highest reviews.

I'm also doing a lot of trading and money management. I'm a single guy and have plenty of cash to burn, but I don't want to end up sinking 10k into a collection with nothing to show for it and nowhere to display it.

Congrats. I started back in 2007. Stopped in 2009. I thought it was over. Sayonara to Valk addiction. My wallet adored me because i only buying cheap ass plastic Transformers. But the Macross bug found me again in 2012.

My wallet hated me ever since.

Well your wallet will thank you when you go to resale the macross stuff. Cheap transformers are always cheap :p

The good thing with macross toys are they got good resell value, right?

Generally.

If you bought like a v1 yamato with the die cast legs it might not sell for as much, since the V2 is a vastly superior toy, but as long as you keep the box and have all the parts you can usually at least get your money back, and in some cases with limited runs make more.

I just suggest reading all the reviews you can:

anymoon.com is a great source for reviews on what you should and should not buy in collecting. He's very hawkish about things that are over priced as well.

Wow, I went back now to see I can get another 1/60 Macross VF-1S Roy Focker Movie Ver with Option Parts (30th Anniversary Sticker) and it is listed as out of stock. I hope they honor my order this morning.

perhaps you nabbed the very last copy in stock?

perhaps you nabbed the very last copy in stock?

I am hoping that is the case. I haven't gotten the tracking number yet though. They must be backlog after the chinese new year.

Lol, I'll try to... I live in a dorm-ish kinda place, so I don't plan to let them outta the boxes too much - people coming over might wreck them. :wacko:

Haha You can get a lock display box so no one can touch them! :p

Argh. This is why the post has instructions to leave packages on my door regardless, but I'm lucky enough to live in a quiet subdivision where nobody is going to bother taking a box from my porch... I'll be sad next time I move and I won't have that ability anymore

That's what happened to me for all my HLJ shipments. Damn the local posts.

Sorry, but no one can top the kind of experience I have had with 3 different couriers over time. The most recent: The driver could not be bothered with carrying my 7kgs parcel out of the van and to my door, so he wrote "not at home", which i read almost in real time, about 10 minutes later, called the company and complained, then they called me back and said that the driver could not "find my address", so they would send a different driver. The obvious question would be, how then did he write "not at home", but you never get anywhere with courier companies if you are just a private customer.

Our mailman is Mr. Sano (Sano-san). He makes sure to come back for deliveries at the end of his route that are from Japan, if I haven't gotten home yet. I've purchased so many valks and other Macross/Mospeada/Dougram items through HLJ.com, that he said "Thank you, for single-handedly trying to help stabilize the Japanese economy after the tsunami" while grinning and nodding one day.

In '86, I saw Robotech on TV and promptly bought the Revell Robotech Changer "Axoid" model. For Christmas, I received Jetfire. The next Summer, I collected all 85 Comico Robotech comics...it, hasn't, stopped, yet. Now, I buy at least two (or more) of everything...one to display, one to keep MISB, and one to "invest" when possible. There's over 200 VF-1's and at least 300 Macross kits...so far.

"Once you're hooked, you're hosed."

Not counting Robotech (I watched it but was too young at the time to fully appreciate it until later), I actually came into the fold thanks to the old dub version of Macross II more years ago than I care to count (Suffice it to say, late 90s.) I was so good for so long, I stayed away... I kept my purchases mainly limited to gundam models... Then I finally joined these forums after lurking for so long... and then an HLJ sale happened... And now I'm somewhere around a grand and a half deep on Yamato/Bandai/Misc. offerings, even buying things on sale/used.

My name is Ace, and I'm a Mechaholic.

You know what's worse?

You've been waiting at home all day, and next morning when you go out, you see a notes saying "We have tried to deliver but no one was here" crap.

You know what's worse?

You come home to find that they left the package on your front porch... IN THE POURING RAIN.... without a plastic bag.

Mine arrived today too! I'm really really reluctant to take them out though :(

I did tell you before that I live in a dorm, would be kind of messy... plus I would have to sit through hours of questions and people getting their hands on my preciouses :p

I don't understand why people keep touching your stuff. If I had something in my dorm room and someone wasn't supposed to touch it they'd know because their wrist would be snapped.

Mine arrived today too! I'm really really reluctant to take them out though :(

I did tell you before that I live in a dorm, would be kind of messy... plus I would have to sit through hours of questions and people getting their hands on my preciouses :p

maybe get a lockable display case. :)

I don't understand why people keep touching your stuff. If I had something in my dorm room and someone wasn't supposed to touch it they'd know because their wrist would be snapped.

I have a roommate, he's fine, but he brings back his random nutty classmates for "room tours" every now and then, and if I'm not in the room at the time, there might be trouble - I do break wrists as well, but only when I'm around to stop them.

maybe get a lockable display case. :)

Lol, 2nd time you've told me that... I do need to fly quite a distance back after I'm done here, which is around mid-June, and it would be too much of a mess, unfortunately. Also, I don't think the university is too fond of us bringing new furniture into their rooms.

It happened again! I place an order and when went back in minutes it shows sold out.

This time its, http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1157612.html

Thanks for the help plasticgoose. Let's hope I got my order in!

Mandarake isn't a "regular" shop like HLJ. I don't know all that much about them, other than they're a second-hand shop of sorts.

When they list something on their website, it means they have exactly 1 of that item. So if you bought it, it'll of course be updated to "sold out" right after.

If they get another of the same item, it'll be listed it under a different item number.

It seems a lot of the goods they have in their physical stores are not listed on their website, since they list every item individually.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about the condition of the units you've received, since they're listed as opened/used.