What uses are rotary tools for?

GU-11

I "accidentally" bought what's called a "handy router" from Tamiya recently (long story) instead of their handy drill. Wanted to go back and exchange it for the drill, but I was wondering if I'd have a use for this in the future when building model kits or customizing/kitbashing/scratch-building weapons and accessories.

74042.jpg

It's basically a glorified Dremmel rotary tool, but smaller and supposedly more precise. It's very hard to find Dremmel tools in Malaysia, or anything that functions like one. The "handy router" seems to be low on stock in some online stores, so I was wondering if I should keep this in case I have a use for it.

Basically, I have plans on doing slight mods on Gundam kits and TF's. Nothing drastic, though. Maybe drilling out gun barrels and replacing fake thrusters with 3rd party ones. Minor stuff.

So, you think I'll have a use for this?

As long as you can swap out bits - YES, keep it! In fact, if the collet (the thing the bits go into) is replaceable, you can also go back to using it as a drill or with other tools by swapping the collet. The Dremmel ones might even fit.

If you're doing a lot of model work, I HIGHLY advise you get a pinvise: http://www.micromark.com/swivel-head-pin-vise,6730.html Even with a drill press and mill, I STILL use my pinvise all the time; I'm even on my third one! You have the most control with one, especially for tiny parts.

Basically, it holds the drill bits (most the size of a pin where it gets its name from) and goes from 3-4mm down to .5mm (or REALLY tiny bits). You'll find styrene drills and machines easy, so you can do a lot of work with one of these instead of needing to go with a power tool. Sometimes even the variable speed dremmels go too fast for some work and melt the plastic. Gun barrels for example are best hand drilled because of how delicate they are (trust me - I've done a lot of these, even in aluminum).

Do you have a website or store website you can get stuff at there locally? I might be able to help you better if I knew what was available. I know you can get international orders, but do you have to pay VAT or other high import taxes? If not, I can help you with many other stores and tools. - MT

I have quite a few pin-vises filled with my favourite bits, since I'm too lazy to change them.

I also have a Dremel, which I use a lot less, mainly because it's overkill for model kits - although it can be handy (with a steady hand) for resin.

The Dremel gets used for all sorts of other non-modeling applications though...

Many thanks for the advice, MT and PeterB!

@Mechtech: Yeah, the router can be fitted with Tamiya's own brand of different rotary bits (sold separately), although I'm not sure about the collet being swappable or not. Probably not, since the specs don't mention it. The router's rpm is probably too fast for drilling plastic (7800), though.

But based its own uses as a router, is it worth keeping?

BTW, I plan on getting Tamiya's Handy Drill, as it sounds pretty, well...handy. It's slow rotation of 450 rpm makes it ideal for drilling plastic.

But then you mentioned using pin-vises, which Tamiya also sells. Which one do you reccommend I get? Pin-vise or drill? I'll probably go for the pin vise, though, since the drill can only handle 1-3mm bits, whereas the Fine Pin Vise D can handle anything from 0.1mm to 3.2mm bits. Cost-wise, the pin vise is surprisingly close to the drill, being only about 300 yen cheaper, not counting the drill bits that are sold separately.

My only concern about the pin vise is the user-friendliness. Is it easy to control for beginners like me, or at least? I heard that if you're not careful, you run the risk of snapping the drill bit.

I also heard that your hand gets sore from using the pin vise too much, but then I probably won't be doing so much drilling to the extend that it causes soreness. In fact, it was one of the reasons why I wanted the electric drill.

As for stores, I usually buy this stuff exclusively from the local Tamiya shop: http://www.tamiya.com/english/e-home.htm. The local website is defunct due to lack of maintenance, so I had to use the international one. Basically, I check out what's available from this site, and go to the physical store to buy it. Prices are kind of steep, but it's got the widest range of tools I need, and it saves me from having to hunt for stuff around town. There's a hardware store I go to, but it's mostly for industrial spray paints and thinner.

Malaysia's still pretty much a "brick-and-mortar" market, meaning local online stores still haven't really taken off. People here still prefer buying stuff from a physical shop. I'm not sure about VAT or import taxes, but for hobby items it's like this: as long as the imported item doesn't exceed 167 USD, it should be non-taxable. That said, I almost never buy anything online from the US or Europe, as the shipping costs will be brutal. Japan is the furthest country I buy from, where the shipping rates are still reasonable enough that it doesn't become even more expensive than the item itself.

Sigh...one of the reasons I haven't got my hands on those awesome Alclad II metallizers, but that's another story.

Edited by GU-11

dremel is indispensable for a lot of things, but you need to be very careful using them on models. most of their models still have too high rpm at their lowest setting, and tend to melt plastic/resin.

pin vises are for delicate work. you are far more likely to break drill bits when using rotary tools because of the higher speed and power. for that matter, always wear safety goggles when using them.

the Tamiya handy router as far less speed and power than a dremel, but that is a good thing for modeling purposes. personally though, i prefer routers that can be held like a pen as they offer finer control. there are many cheap unbranded ones out there. even the branded ones (GSI Creos, Academy, Wave) tend to be cheaper than Tamiya. having said that, pistol grip routers are more comfortable when working on harder resins since you can put a bit more weight behind them.

as for Alclad, just cross over to Singapore. there are a couple of stores here that carry them.

Thanks for the info guys!

I just did a little googling in my free time and it seems the Tamiya drill can only handle 1-3mm bits, whereas the Pin Vice D can be fitted with 0.1mm-3.2mm bits. Obviously the pin vice is much more versatile, but I keep hearing about carpal tunnel syndrome and wrist soreness when using pin vices, and I'm not sure if the ones writing these articles and posts are joking or serious. Is it true?

I only plan on using the drill or pin vise for hollowing out gun barrels, thrusters and vents. Would the handy drill's 1mm-3mm bit options be good enough for that, or should I opt for a pin vise, carpal tunnel be damned?

As for the router/rotary tool, what exactly are its uses in modeling? I need to know this before deciding on whether to keep it or not.

These tools are pretty expensive, and I'd rather not buy something I don't have much of a use for.

@Major Focker: thanks for letting me know! Can I buy them online or would I have to make a trip to Singapore to get a few bottles of these? Alclad's website linked me to a Singaporean online store, but they didn't sell any Alclad stuff, just magazines and some WWII model kits.

Edited by GU-11

Obviously the pin vice is much more versatile, but I keep hearing about carpal tunnel syndrome and wrist soreness when using pin vices, and I'm not sure if the ones writing these articles and posts are joking or serious. Is it true?

try googling "star destroyer fiber optic" and you'll understand.

which SG online store did they point you to? the stores i've seen carrying Alclad do not have an online store as far as i know. just ask friends or family whenever they drop into SG. heck, i'm headed for KL next week. PM me if you want to explore that option.

The good news is that the drill (possibly your router too) will hold 3mm shafted bits. Most of Dremmel's and like brand bits are 3mm (1/8inch). That will help you with easily finding bits. And yes, I use those bits all the time in my pin vise too.

I use many drill bits smaller than actual pins in my pin vise. There is no substitution for the delicate senses your hand has and belive it or not, you only break bits when forcing them or twisting them sideways when they're partially borrowed into the work. When sharp, they'll cut right into styrene so not much force is needed.

If you have carpal tunnel issues, get a pinvise with a swivel head. You can use both hands (one supports while the other turns the drill) to take the strain off. Or you can just use one hand with your palm apply pressure while your fingers spin the drill.

The other points the guys said above are great to consider as well. More tools give you more capability and options. I suppose you need to consider what you do the most and start there. Hope that helps. - MT

A rotary tool will help you cut shapes into a model or remove unwanted parts. It can also be used to make other tools by getting grinding bits to grind metal. I buy cheap dentists picks or other types of tools and grind an edge into them. You can also resharpen exhsiting tool blades. It all depends upon what you do the most.

If you ever dive into the resin models, you will curse yourself for not having one. Any mods to a model are easier with it. I use it to sand down the inside of airplane panels and then cut holes to simulate bullet holes.

Now, speaking of usage, if you feel you will use it once or twice a year, then you can live without it. If all you're going to do with it is drill out gun barrels, laser canons and the like, a pin vice would be more economical.

MT, Major Focker, Coronadlux, many thanks for the explanations!

Pin vise it is, then. I don't see myself wiring fiber optics for star destroyers or the Enterprise any time soon, so soreness and carpal tunnel syndrome won't be an issue. I was just worried that even moderate use would strain my wrists, which doesn't seem to be the case.

After reading your explanations on the router, I think I'll get it returned. I don't currently do any major kitbashing or resin models, and I think I can remove most unwanted parts with a razor saw, sandpaper and a metal file (and some elbow grease).

I'm thinking of getting the handy drill and buying an extra fine pin vise for drilling really small holes; that way, I've got all drill bit sizes covered, from 0.1mm to 3mm. What do you think?

I'm thinking of getting the handy drill and buying an extra fine pin vise for drilling really small holes; that way, I've got all drill bit sizes covered, from 0.1mm to 3mm. What do you think?

I think then you'll have the exact same set-up that I have. :) Use the Handy Drill a lot, have the fine pin-vise set, but haven't used it yet. Nice to have, though.

Thanks again, MT and Jeff!

I just hope the shop won't give me any BS about "goods sold are not returnable" since they were the ones who f#%ked up and gave me the wrong damn tool.

I think then you'll have the exact same set-up that I have. :) Use the Handy Drill a lot, have the fine pin-vise set, but haven't used it yet. Nice to have, though.

Sounds like I'm on the right track. :D

What bit sizes do you mostly use? I'll mostly be using the drill and/or pin vise to hollow out gun barrels and thrusters, and maybe even air vents. The handy drill only comes with a standard 1mm bit, if I'm not mistaken, and the pin vise S doesn't even come with any drill bits at all.

Tamiya has a basic and fin drill bit set. Which ones do you recommend I get?

Edited by GU-11

Tamiya has a basic and fin drill bit set. Which ones do you recommend I get?

Basic for the Handy Drill, Fine for the pin vise. I've used all the bits from the basic set for various projects. Haven't had a need yet for the fine and the pin vise, but it's nice to have, just in case.

Basic for the Handy Drill, Fine for the pin vise. I've used all the bits from the basic set for various projects. Haven't had a need yet for the fine and the pin vise, but it's nice to have, just in case.

So it's Handy Drill, pin vise S, Basic and Fine bit sets, right? Wow, seems like I'll still be spending quite a bit even if I don't get the router.

Then again, no one ever said this was a cheap hobby. :lol:

Cheap - NO! (even for us model builders versus toy guys). Fine bits are great, the larger sizes you can get cheap at a hardware store. Look there too! You still might find a cheap rotary tool or other great stuff. I even go to the beauty supply store with my wife for cheap sponge sanding blocks! - MT

I owe you one for reminding me, MT! Was thinking of going to the Tamiya shop to get the drill bits tomorrow morning. Good thing reminded me to check out the hardware stores first. I can probably get 1-3mm bits for much cheaper there, and maybe even a cheaper rotary tool like you said.

Speaking of cheaper alternatives, I think Tamiya kind of over-charges for some of their stuff. Granted, certain items of theirs, like masking tape, brushes, paints and spray booths are much better alternatives than the ones found in hardware stores. But they're selling common items like metal files, screwdrivers and even q-tips (you read that right!) at inflated prices! I bought a full set of diamond files at a fraction of the price it would have cost at Tamiya.

I also hear that you can use women's eye shadow for weathering, and it works just as well as Tamiya's weathering kits, only cheaper. The only thing stopping me from switching to those is that I'm too thin-skinned to be asking the salesgirl at the counter for cosmetics. :p

No sweat. After living overseas for a long time and getting dragged around with my wife on shopping trips, I've learned to look for alternatives sources for some items.

Tamiya does overcharge for some of their "repackaged stuff." But your right, there's nothing better than their paints and masking tape that I've tried. It's a convienace thing and some people simply don't know better.

I haven't heard of the eye shadow thing. All I can say is - DON'T DO IT :p (unless the lady behind the counter is a possible wife someday) Even when I go to the beauty supply store with my wife, SHE pays for the stuff at the counter!!! I do have SOME pride! B)) - MT