concert bound! Going to Macross Crossover Live 30!

Since the announcement of the date/location of the Crossover concert has been released ( http://www.macrossworld.com/4275/macross-crossover-live-30-teased/ ) Myself and a few friends are already getting ready to buy our tickets over to Japan to see the concert.

Who here is going?

If you live in the US how is the best way to get decent seat tickets?

What should you expect at the concert and things you should know/do?

Is anyone else outside of Japan going?

Im hoping to have a friend buy them from Joysound on the 26th of March I just dont know if you can choose seats from there?

Well, not to dampen your enthusiasm (which is awesome btw) but there is no way to pick the seats you want - its either a draw or else random/based on first come first served.

From prior experience, I'd recommend waiting until you've managed to secure a ticket before thinking about booking flights.

Well you are not in walking distance but yeah you can easily get to Chiba from Osaka. Three hour shinkansen ride from Osaka to Tokyo Station then 40 min train ride from Tokyo Station to Makuhari Messe. Also it's pretty expensive to take the shinkansen even more if you are going round trip.

Well you are not in walking distance but yeah you can easily get to Chiba from Osaka. Three hour shinkansen ride from Osaka to Tokyo Station then 40 min train ride from Tokyo Station to Makuhari Messe. Also it's pretty expensive to take the shinkansen even more if you are going round trip.

Last I checked, it was around ¥25,000 round trip. Of course, there are deals, such as Shinkansen + business hotel, where the Shinkansen price is reduced.

Though, the more affordable option is the overnight bus - approximately ¥10,000 round trip. There are options with that too (such as the bus + hotel + Disney entrance ticket) that'll reduce what you pay on transportation and hotel somewhat more.

"Only about 10,000 people can go, so seems so hard to obtain the tickets even though they are the Macross fan club members", I read a blog saying like this. The former Crossover live was 2 days, but the next time, one day. Hmm.

Edited by antibiotictab

I'm not even bothering to get myself worked up over this. Chance of getting a ticket at list price seems to pretty close to zero, and what I hear about the secondary market makes me think it will get waaaay out of my league almost instantly.

But it's ok, I saw Nakajima Ai sing with Fire Bomber. I don't need to spend a months pay for Sheryl and Minmay. ^_^

"Only about 10,000 people can go, so seems so hard to obtain the tickets even though they are the Macross fan club members", I read a blog saying like this. The former Crossover live was 2 days, but the next time, one day. Hmm.

Yes, theres going to be a lot less tickets this time :( However, it was only done one day for the 15th anniversary too.

http://www.ex.org/2.6/08-news_macrossconcert1.html

Also, this way the audience can see ALL the most famous Macross singers in ONE concert, which is really the way it should be :)

I just have to hope they release video of it this time. It's insane to cater to 10,000 and ignore the millions of other fans out there that would want to see it.

I'm hoping too, but the only Macross concerts that seem to get releases are Firebomber (DVD and compilation in upcoming FB7 BD) and Frontier (BD) - mashup concerts such as the 15th Anniversary gig, and crossover never get released. fingers crossed that, being the 30th anniversary, they make an exception with this one. (personally, I'm also hoping they have better sound engineers this time so that Chie doesnt have to stop the entire concert mid-song again).

Also, there arent 'millions of other fans' - Macross is a far more niche property than that. Unless you are talking solely about Frontier fans, in which case theres enough to drive the OST into the Top 10 3 consecutive times... but Insane? Not really. It's just the same old business concept of 'Premium' that most anime-related things are based on.

I'm not even bothering to get myself worked up over this. Chance of getting a ticket at list price seems to pretty close to zero, and what I hear about the secondary market makes me think it will get waaaay out of my league almost instantly.

But it's ok, I saw Nakajima Ai sing with Fire Bomber. I don't need to spend a months pay for Sheryl and Minmay. ^_^

Uhm... I think you man Nakajima MEGUMI. Kanji can have multiple readings you know :rolleyes:

And Megumi with FB was good but it was only one song...ooh, the prospect of a full (Chie, Fukuyama, Megumi and May'n) version of Nyan Nyan FIRE with F-Band doing the backing guitar work again is pretty exciting! ^_^

Edited by Tochiro

But it's ok, I saw Nakajima Ai sing with Fire Bomber.

I'll agree with this Freudian slip. Nakajima - :wub:

Much for her.

Started watching Kotoura-san just because she sang the OP song. Amazing voice.

She's also voicing a main character in "Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo" but the character's voice is somewhat deadpan intentionally, possibly just to not sound like Ranka, so not good use of her.

Edited by Kaldar5

I'll agree with this Freudian slip. Nakajima - :wub:

Much 愛 for her.

Started watching Kotoura-san just because she sang the OP song. Amazing voice.

She's also voicing a main character in "Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo" but the character's voice is somewhat deadpan intentionally, possibly just to not sound like Ranka, so not good use of her.

Yeah, I am watching Kotoura-san. "Koshi koshi koshi" lol I first heard "Sonna koto urano mata urabanashi desho?" in her concert at Nakano Sunplaza last November. The anime itself is also good.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is part of the fan club and we are going to coordinate to get a First come first serve ticket through the club. I know also Joysound will be get a few or was I reading wrong?

Would you be willing to go in on a group purchase? I can pay via PayPal. Just in case my friend cannot get an extra.

My friend explained it to me a little better about the process.

Basically most concerts are lottery and M fanclub will have first crack. Then the Joysound sale. Then public and so on.

I know the base price of the ticket is 8,600 yen. But seat selection is first come first serve? Do people come super early to get a decent seat?

I also noticed the the M fanclub will let you join until the (25th) for a chance at the tickets and I am not sure that would cater outside of Japan?

So many questions!

My friend explained it to me a little better about the process.

Basically most concerts are lottery and M fanclub will have first crack. Then the Joysound sale. Then public and so on.

I know the base price of the ticket is 8,600 yen. But seat selection is first come first serve? Do people come super early to get a decent seat?

I also noticed the the M fanclub will let you join until the (25th) for a chance at the tickets and I am not sure that would cater outside of Japan?

So many questions!

Not only that, people that ordered the Macross 30 PS3 game collectors edition will get a code for a chance to win a ticket. (about 100 total avail?)

How to use that code and what the heck somebody on the other side of the world will do with it is another matter.

post-9325-0-15521800-1361494977_thumb.jpg

Gee, dont they teach you kids anything these days? :p

The first few rounds will be a lottery. Meaning both your seat AND whether you get a ticket or not are totally up to chance. Even when remaining tickets go on sale to the public on a first come first served basis (in April, from memory) there is no way to choose your seat. Even those who 'win' the lottery often wont be told their seat placement until after they have paid for and received their ticket. Also, you will need a Japanese address to have the ticket sent to, and keep in mind that tickets do not get sent out immediately upon payment. They are normally sent out in bulk much closer to the actual event (in an attempt to minimize auctions/scalpers).

Furthermore, the amount of tickets you can apply for is probably limited (2 per person from memory).

I believe the fanclub is only open to ppl in Japan but then again even the fanclub is just a draw and most FC members I know dont think they will be able to secure tics.

The only way to guarantee a ticket is via auction/scalper closer to the event.

This is why I originally said you probably shouldn't even look into plane tickets until after youve managed to secure a concert ticket! You cant just normally buy them you know! lol

My recommendation would be to have your friend focus on Joysound and public sales, but keep an eye on auctions at the same time. Keep in mind that your friend will probably have to do the bidding, since many sellers don't accept overseas bids. There will be two major spikes in the number of tickets being auctioned - immediately after winning notifications have been sent out and again once the tickets themselves get sent out.

Price-wise if, in a worst case scenario, your only option is auctions, I'd estimate that you should expect to pay 20,000yen ~ 30,000 for an average seat. Basically, expect to pay 2x or 3x the original ticket price (which sounds steep but isnt all that much when theres a plane ticket involved as well! At Yoko Kannos Tanabata Sonic concert in 2009, scalpers on the day were getting close to 100,000 for tics that originally cost 7777yen! But that was a once in a lifetime gig, whereas I'm sure there will be other Macross concerts in the future).

And if you do manage to land a ticket somehow, be sure to pick up a thank you gift for your friend - they will have probably earned it ^^;

Not only that, people that ordered the Macross 30 PS3 game collectors edition will get a code for a chance to win a ticket. (about 100 total avail?)

How to use that code and what the heck somebody on the other side of the world will do with it is another matter.

Given that there's only 100 available, chances of this happening are pretty slim but hey if someone is that lucky, why not offer it to someone here on the forums?

Given that purchasers will get a code, my guess would be that there will be a website you can enter it into for (yet another) lottery.

Edited by Tochiro

Well, while this is hardly an official announcement, according to a conversation Mari Iijima had with a fan on Facebook this morning there will be no DVD/BD of the Crossover 30 concert. Not an official announcement but certainly not a good sign.....

Maybe she deleted it because I can't find that comment anywhere..?

Yeah, I can't find anything more recent than 8 hours ago...

Ah my bad, didn't refresh FB. Yeah it was from 8 hrs ago in response to a question from a fan. And yes, a couple of hrs ago it appears that she did delete the comment. So like I said, hardly an official announcement, but given that she would know (Ie, it would undoubtedly be in her contract for the performance) if a recording was being made, it's not a good sign.

Come to think of it, when was the last time one of Mari's performances WAS released on DVD? It's certainly been a while, that's for sure.

Edited by Tochiro

Come to think of it, when was the last time one of Mari's performances WAS released on DVD? It's certainly been a while, that's for sure.

Hmm. About 4 or 5 years ago, they released some of the 1980s stuff from VHS ("Maroon", "Atchoo!", etc) in one DVD package. A while before that they released the 1990 "Something Special" VHS on DVD... But I don't recall seeing any original DVD that is not a rerelease of a previous format.

I was the fan that asked her on her FB, and can confirm that's what she said, "No DVD or Bluray for the crossover concert". I can only hope they decide otherwise later.

Shame that there will be only one day, limited tickets, and no vid for something so historic.

And yes, she is a habitual FB post deleteer.

I mean I love Mari, she's a great multi-talented artist and really nice in person; but she edits, edits, then deletes FB posts all the time. (well, to be honest, sometimes I do too)

Had this one friggin adoreable vid where she was baby talking her bunny in an ultra high piched (yet still really smooth) voice. One of the cutest things I have ever heard in my life. She deleted it because there was a bunny poop in the frame she didn't notice before. Gah! Rabbits poop. It happens. Don't dele.... *gone* - sigh.

But maybe that's what celebs have to do to not crush the hopes and dreams of fans or deal with trolls.

She's on the Macross 30 collectors edition pack interview DVD. She personally warned me that "oh I look horrible on it" or some such nonsense. I told her I can't contradict that right now becuase I haven't seen it yet, but I doubt it and will deal with that shortly when I get it.

Send her some fan love and buy some of her independant CDs. http://www.marimusic.com/

But she would much rather talk Lakers basketball instead of Macross :lol:

attachicon.gifsimply.jpg

Gee, dont they teach you kids anything these days? :p

The first few rounds will be a lottery. Meaning both your seat AND whether you get a ticket or not are totally up to chance. Even when remaining tickets go on sale to the public on a first come first served basis (in April, from memory) there is no way to choose your seat. Even those who 'win' the lottery often wont be told their seat placement until after they have paid for and received their ticket. Also, you will need a Japanese address to have the ticket sent to, and keep in mind that tickets do not get sent out immediately upon payment. They are normally sent out in bulk much closer to the actual event (in an attempt to minimize auctions/scalpers).

Furthermore, the amount of tickets you can apply for is probably limited (2 per person from memory).

I believe the fanclub is only open to ppl in Japan but then again even the fanclub is just a draw and most FC members I know dont think they will be able to secure tics.

The only way to guarantee a ticket is via auction/scalper closer to the event.

This is why I originally said you probably shouldn't even look into plane tickets until after youve managed to secure a concert ticket! You cant just normally buy them you know! lol

My recommendation would be to have your friend focus on Joysound and public sales, but keep an eye on auctions at the same time. Keep in mind that your friend will probably have to do the bidding, since many sellers don't accept overseas bids. There will be two major spikes in the number of tickets being auctioned - immediately after winning notifications have been sent out and again once the tickets themselves get sent out.

Price-wise if, in a worst case scenario, your only option is auctions, I'd estimate that you should expect to pay 20,000yen ~ 30,000 for an average seat. Basically, expect to pay 2x or 3x the original ticket price (which sounds steep but isnt all that much when theres a plane ticket involved as well! At Yoko Kannos Tanabata Sonic concert in 2009, scalpers on the day were getting close to 100,000 for tics that originally cost 7777yen! But that was a once in a lifetime gig, whereas I'm sure there will be other Macross concerts in the future).

And if you do manage to land a ticket somehow, be sure to pick up a thank you gift for your friend - they will have probably earned it ^^;Given that there's only 100 available, chances of this happening are pretty slim but hey if someone is that lucky, why not offer it to someone here on the forums?

Given that purchasers will get a code, my guess would be that there will be a website you can enter it into for (yet another) lottery.

I know about the lotteries. Sadly whenever I go to Japan for concerts its usually through a lottery system or I have to browse the auction sites. I sent the funds to my friend in Tokyo for the lottery + if that fails Joysound + some thanks money :) Animelo Summer tickets I had to pay an arm and a leg for the decent seats and sadly I am going to skip that to go to this instead. But I always saw the seat selection when I got the ticket, I just wasn't sure if that was the same for this.

Here's to hoping~

My health condition was not good, so I didn't go to Makuhari Messe in 2009.

I read some personal blogs and 2chan. They say the venue was not good for the concert. The sound system was so bad, especially in case of Fire Bomber, the "roar" was terrible, they say. Why do not they use the venue which has the best sound systems like Yokohama Arena?

Besides, I heard Mari Iijima started singing the songs which have nothing to do with Macross at that time and so many fans were taken aback...

There seems to be so many things to be improved, hm. :mellow: