So what will be the first Arcadia branded Macross offering?

jvmacross

So now we know what's THIRD....what do we want next!!!  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Let Arcadia know what you want them to release next in their 1/60 line....

• VF-5000
    • SDF-1 TV

Why hasn't Yamato Made any Battle pods/Invid/Zentradi?

And didn't the main article say it would still be called yamato in the US?

Word has it that enemy mechs don't sell very well (hence the Limited HDP Regult Kit, and not a full-blown toy version).

Yamato didn't distribute Macross merchandise in the US due to Harmony Gold's stranglehold on the franchise stateside.

Edited by Old Man

The scary thing for me about all of this is that it I was under the impression Yamato was what it was because it had a huge Macross fan for an owner. That means he made toys with the hopes of turning a profit but also because he really wanted to see them get made. If this name change marks an ownership change then I fear we might be in for some depressing times. Having a new owner that's more about the bottom line might mean a lot less toys and variants.

The scary thing for me about all of this is that it I was under the impression Yamato was what it was because it had a huge Macross fan for an owner. That means he made toys with the hopes of turning a profit but also because he really wanted to see them get made. If this name change marks an ownership change then I fear we might be in for some depressing times. Having a new owner that's more about the bottom line might mean a lot less toys and variants.

This is the same thing I fear, I wonder if this is why HLJ have not really had a large listing of Yamato valks for a while. They used to have a few pages but it slowly dwindled over the past year or more. I read Scott T Hards actually started HLJ because of his Macross obsession. All I know is that they will lose a ton of my money if they move to creepy dolls that don't transform. I never spent any money on the Yamato PVC's either. Wonder where Mr. K would go if this was the case and Arcadia drops major production of Valks. If Arcadia stops making valks all together I would want to say the "Golden Age" of Macross toy collecting is over :(

We've got plenty to be nervous about, but I think we're probably over-reacting here, at least for how little information we've got right now.

That said? It's been said here already, but we need to remember that we're a very niche market, while said creepy dolls and girl-figures make up a much, much larger section of hobby toy and figure collecting, especially overseas. It might now be anything most of us here are interested in or care about, but it is a smarter business move, overall. You have to produce what your market will consume, and this is at the end of the day a business thing. They might lose our money, but that could well be offeset by not having to spend as much to produce and tool such complicated toys, if they decided to go that direction. We gotta remember that no matter how much any of us spend, it's still drops in the bucket compared to what you need to pull in to remain a successful business. (Except for maybe Kicker. I bet he makes up a noticeable percentage of Yamato's bottom line singlehandedly... :lol:)

All we can really do is wait and see, and be realistic. There's no reason to expect they're going to completely change their business approach overnight, but at the same time, things ARE hard right now, especially for a smaller toy manufacturer. Yamato isn't Bandai, they've got way more to lose here. But again, it's probably better to wait and see what's really happening before we all dust off our panic buttons.

I don't know guys. If the founders of the company were Macross fans and they were nerdy enough to name their company after a sci-fi anime ship they liked, renaming their company after another ship from a nerdy sci-fi anime ship they like probably doesn't mean they're going to change tactics away from things like Macross.

I don't know guys. If the founders of the company were Macross fans and they were nerdy enough to name their company after a sci-fi anime ship they liked, renaming their company after another ship from a nerdy sci-fi anime ship they like probably doesn't mean they're going to change tactics away from things like Macross.

I thought Yamato was first a Japanese WW ll war ship

I only left this forum 2 weeks to see... this when coming back!

So far, as Mommar stated above, Arcadia is a good name for sci-fi but since we don't have any clues of what 's going to happen, I'd say "gather and keep your collectibles".

Looks like a VT-1 renewal is not on its way at the moment.

Graham mentioned in the other thread that the CEO hasn't changed, so at this point I'd tentatively say things are looking good that we probably won't see any real changes overall.

Let's just cross our fingers, knock on wood, and pray to our Birdman/Protoculture idols that this is true.

EDIT: As extra precaution though, until this is all worked out... Nobody eat any Pineapple!! :ph34r:

Edited by aceoftherebellion

This is my gut feeling that one of the following happened..

Yamato licensing agreement with Macross expired, and they decided not to renew it because..

a. recent low sales figure, but will renew later.

b. Bandai acquired exclusive license

c. Mr. K wants to develop a series of new/renewal items which will take more than a year for prototyping. so they decided to renew when they are ready.

d. Mr. K joined Bandai... or decided to make his own company to focus on Macross (and other transforming Mech!)

But listen to me Yamato/Arcadia!

You ain't done until you give me new YF-19 and TV SDF-1, and then you will have my permission to %&*... T_T...

from the Interesting time - changes at Yamato Toys thread:

Spoke
to somebody today who knew about the company change prior to Wonder
Festival and is happy with what's to come from Arcadia's Macross product
line. They wouldn't say anything other than that. Let's hope I can find out more once I go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

Hopefully that means take a litttlle bit of pressure off the accelerator before internal speculation runs totally out of control.

It really doesn't make sense that they wouldn't renew it. The 30th Anniversary VF-1's are selling out pretty fast and those molds were paid for a long time ago. Hell, slow sales of the the 17 and 19 might not affect them at all because of how the VF-1's sell. Plus they know the VF-4 is pretty popular so it wouldn't make sense to stop using that mold either.

First of all, I'm curious if the license was titled with 'Yamato' company name or company owner's name.

In common sense, it would be under company name. If Yamato is no more, then what....??

-hope for the best, prepare for the worst..YF-19 renewal please please..

First of all, I'm curious if the license was titled with 'Yamato' company name or company owner's name.

In common sense, it would be under company name. If Yamato is no more, then what....??

-hope for the best, prepare for the worst..YF-19 renewal please please..

This is what my theory was for why Arcadia hasn't shown any Macross products yet. My theories around this are all very negative though. I know there have been some comments that Arcadia is a name change of Yamato but I very much doubt that's true. Arcadia is either a subsidiary of Yamato (which would be good) or a whole new entity with the same CEO (possibly leasing all of Yamato's employees). The new entity bit makes more sense if Yamato needed to do debt restucturing. In this scenario, the guy that runs Yamato get's a group together with some capital, he sells Yamato's assets (molds and designs already purchased from T-Rex) to his new group at book value so no creditors can get too upset, and then leaves Yamato with the cash left over from those sales and its debts. The creditors have to settle their debts for the assets of the remaining company and then Yamato drifts silently into the night. In the meantime Yamato can still act as a service provider since no tangible assets are really needed to do that (hence the "Yamato will still exist but only act as an importer" line. The problem with this is that Arcadia wouldn't have the rights to make anything Yamato had the rights to, they're non-transferrable. This would mean the rights would have to return to BigWest after some default is triggered (and God knows how long that could take). When they do return to BigWest any company (Arcadia OR Bandai) could then decide to scoop them up. In fact, BigWest could essentially run a silent auction for the rights and if Bandai wanted them Arcadia would be hosed. You know the only reason we haven't seen a 1/60 DX VF-1 is because Yamato has the rights The good news for the folks at Arcadia is that the rights for each franchise are sold separately so they'd almost certainly get like Mac7 and Mac0 because I doubt Bandai cares about them (considering Bandai gave up on Mac7 just a few years ago).

Now, if Arcadia is a subsidiary all this is different. Then Arcadia would have the rights through Yamato but if that were the case, why not show a VF-1 at Wonderfest? There was something said about Arcadia being an attempt to diversify but if you look at the Arcadia site it's the exact same jumble of items from the Yamato site... naked plastic girls and a hint at Macross... you'd think they'd make one company the mecha company and the other the girls company (and the mecha company would always break even while the girls company made money).

That's a valid theory as far as business law and practices go, and it wouldn't discount that it's a (rather frightening) possibility, but it's also fairly at odds with what we've heard from our members 'closer to the ground' so to speak. All of the comments I've seen from people who have connections inside the company suggest that it's all fairly clandestine. Certainly nobody 'in the know' has said a thing about debt restructuring or anything to that extent, so I wouldn't start entertaining bankruptcy theories just yet.

I think it's important to remember that Japanese business works on somewhat different rules. Secrecy is a big thing, born more from respect than a desire to hide something. We're used to US companies issuing press releases every time they replace a toilet, but a smaller Japanese company isn't likely to make any actual comment until they've finalized everything they're planning. Silence doesn't necessarily mean gloom and doom like it might for a western based company. It doesn't automatically mean they're keeping their cards close- it could be as simple as they don't intend to make any major announcements until they've got the office set up and finalized.

Please what the big deal a smaller company was bought out by a larger company so it happens all the time in business it because the larger company can see potential in the smaller company and was a share of those profits. Macross is already a niche market it's not going to see like Gundam because it's targeted towards a different consumer audience mainly the adult collector who can afford to purchase these products so by nature the production run will be smaller.

Although Yamato does make figures as well they I hardly think that the macross license will be die out and the only reason bought out yamato was to get access to their dolls

As far as what else the can offer I guess the can issue releases and some new designs based on the games. It make not be as many releases per a year but considering most of offerings were repaints.

We will see what the future holds

Wow yamato is going to make dolls instead of mecha?? Argh I was hoping they would still get around to v3 yf-19

Well they have pretty much exhausted the license and covered pretty much everything apart from mac f. Maybe they need to ease off the robots for a bit?

It seems that the scheme to wipe Macross 2 out of existence is working out so far. In a few years nobody will know what the therm VF-2SS means. ;)

Poor Ishtar. :(