Interesting times - changes at Yamato Toys

Tochiro

Well I've read about 6 pages so far. My eyes are getting tired. lol

Has there been any news about the name change? What does it all mean? When we do searches for products now on HLJ, do we still use the yamato name?

Will come back tommorrow to finsh reading the rest. Pretty scary thread.

Although having said that, bandai have come a long way and if yamato ever stopped doing mecha would it be so bad for us given the great konig monster and v2 vf-25 toys? Bandai would step in to do high grade toys in the event mecha was not doing enough business for yamato to continue.

Or would Bandai just go back into the Macross hybernation, with rare instances of mediocre product releases, that they cultivated during the late '80s, all of the '90s, and much of the 2000s? It wasn't until Yamato had demonstrated that yes, there was a market for high-end, high-quality, high-price, model-like Macross merchandise that Bandai started to dedicate any effort to the franchise. I commend Bandai for their MF products, V1 25s and 27s excluded; but I wonder, if there was no competition/inspiration, would they go back to their old ways?

This is my greatest fear that, without competition, Bandai would only release half-assed toys due to the lack of a competitor. The Yamato Valkyrie line was proof that the V1 versions of the VF-25s could have been better and due to Yamatos offerings collectors bought their toys instead of Bandais. I assume that this hurt Bandais sales and convinced them to redo the Frontier line. And the end result were far superior toys (if you could actually buy them :ph34r:).

And since Bandai started to outsource their Valkyrie design to the same studio that designed Yamatos VFs I'm sure that Bandais release had some benefits from Yamato pushing the limits of modern Valkyrie toy design even if the VF-171 was designed first.

Bandai needs a competitor to bring their a-game. And we all know now that Bandai can in fact design terrible toys. :p

Probably stating the obvious, but a competitive market will always benefit the consumers. Hopefully the name change is just that.

I'd hate to see Bandai returning to making those awful V1 VF-25's and VF-100 partsformers, and without Yamato to offer an alternative. :ph34r:

Guys, let's be honest here. You can, in no way, shape, or form, can you be called "elitist" if you like to blow tons of cash on plastic toys :p

Us at Macrossworld:

Guy 1: Dude, I just bought like 45x VF-1 cannon fodder from yamato so I can make this awesome massive army squadron thing

Guy 2: WOW! You spent that much money on Macross? Way to be elitist by showing off all your awesome stuff

Translation to the real world:

Guy 1: Wow, I just bought 45 VF-1 cannon fodders from Yamato!

Society: You just spent 4500 dollars on japanese plastic toys derived from an animated cartoon from the 80s <_< .....*condescending judgmental glare*

The moral of that was that a toy collector cannot be elitist, as he is not purchasing ferraris :)

I actually think the people who were able to buy the bandai V2 toys are the elites because they are hard to get (rare for latecomers) and not the yamato collectors. It is almost as if those who got all the bandai macross f toys have the ability to poke their tongues at all those who missed out on it and say they are elite because they have something everyone else doesn't. (like the vf-1 1/48 low visibility or something lol)

If anything pick on bandai for making it a PITA to be able to access past releases. Yamato at least give you the option to buy it. Bandai on the other hand wants you to feel like a loser for not being fast enough.

I honestly don't get where those kids toys argument comes from.

The latest Macross license that Yamato had (form the tv shows) was Macross 7 which is a show from 1994.

No kid today wants something from that era. In addition these shows are not aimed at kids.

If you hand a toy from a mid 90s to a kid he does not want it. He wants something from the current generation.

Like Transformers Prime/Ben10/My little Pony. All his friends have these toys and they are backed up with some kind of

kids friendly media (a TV-Show/Comic/Game). You could try it, give your kid an awesome Freakazoid doll. without any knowledge

what this is and let it play with his friends (who also don't know what it is) with all their cool Naruto toys. The toy will most likely be banned

from any further play activities.

Yamato could not cater to a younger customer base because there is and never will be a 8+ consumer base for SDF/DYRL?/M+/M7.

Never ever!

I think if yamato tried they could do a cheaper line of toys that are like the Hi Metal. The problem is they went with GNU which are non-transforming but looks close to the robot mode lineart. They should have went with a HiMetal PT small toy.

This would be good for those with limit on space. And the box size is smaller meaning cheaper shipping.

Imagine a YF-19 HiMetal but by yamato?

Graham do you have any official word from Yamato something to calm the fears and the rumors that are spreading

One of the other chaps on here already said they knew somebody on the inside who was aware of their plans and they were very happy with what Arcadia was working on in relation to Macross.

To ease my concern, I searched here and there and found some blog of one Japanese Macross fan (WALK) who went to Wonder Festival about a week ago.

Here is quote from the article. (with my quick translation)

やまとさんは ARCADIA 名義になってましたね。 - Yamato became ARCADIA
色々企画が有るみたいです。撮影禁止だったので写真は有りません。 They seemed like they have a number of items in planning, but photograph was prohibited, so no photos.
目新しい情報としてはこんな感じでした。 Some gathered (Macross) information below.

・ハセガワ VF-1 プラモデル 30周年マーキング 天神英貴氏デザイン (Hasegawa VF-1 Model kit with 30th anniversary marking designed by Tenjin)
・1/8 一条輝 フィギュア (1/8 scale Ichijo Hikaru figure)
・VF-1 コックピットモデル 完成品 (VF-1 Cockpit complete model)

1/60 完全変形シリーズはどうなるのでしょう?VF-4G が有終の…まさか、ねぇ (What would happen to 1/60 Perfect Transform series? VF-4G wouldn't be the last one, would it?)

So no new news really, but I'd like to see the VF-1 Cockpit model. I have old Gashapon cut-away model, but better one would be nice.

So no new news really, but I'd like to see the VF-1 Cockpit model. I have old Gashapon cut-away model, but better one would be nice.

Yeah, those were nice. Those weren't gashapons, though, but rather trading figures.

No, I got nothing, sorry. My main contact, who is as high as they come has been deathly silent :(

Graham

I suppose because they nature of the deal have instructed him to not leak any info, well I am optimistic that the reason behind the purchase was to expand their product line and continue producing macros products. Its a business after all and they would not be in it if they did not see a profit and as some other threads have stated there are still many more Macross products that have yet to be made, and that is not including all the repaints. Other companies are still producing Macross products just in the form of models and although Bandai have the Frontier license Yamato is still the only company that make transformable macross mecha.

just curious: what's the difference between gasha and trading figures? i always thought they were one and the same, and use both terms loosely and interchangeably.

Typically the same, but gashapons are more so capsule toys I believe.

Definitely interested in seeing this 1/8 Hikaru and the VF-1 cockpit.

Edited by Phalanix

just curious: what's the difference between gasha and trading figures? i always thought they were one and the same, and use both terms loosely and interchangeably.

Gashapons are cheap toys that come in small plastic capsules sold on the street in vending machines like gumballs. Trading figures are typically larger, slightly more expensive blind-boxed toys, sold in stores in a similar style to trading cards.

I have been reading this post and all the gloom and doom, but I wanted to put in my two cents and optemistic assessment. I do not believe the Macross line will go away despite the re-branding; we may see a delay in new Valks though and just more re-releases. As far as I know the engineering and design teams and people are still the same, and we saw in the last year many new valks and re-releases. I am sure that Yamato was negotiating this company change in the background of its current productions, because it still wanted to make money, and also show the new company that the market for these models clearly exists and is worth persueing. I think this is why we saw the re-release of the VE-1 and VF-4G, one being a unique model that not many people picked up the first time around, and therefore there was a garunteed demand for it, and the other being a complete new design, both of which created hype and demand to the point where they sold out pretty quick. This gives the perception that demand and the market exist.

With the next year, I would think that (and really hope) we see some re-releases of the VT-1 and MAX&MIRA valks. My reasoning for this is that the VF V2 molds and line are proven solid and we know the molds already exist since the M&M models are just bundled VF-1s with strike parts, and repaints. The only difference is that there is a demand for these now. Same goes for the VT-1 which is pretty much the VE-1 with suttle differences. So the company could continue the production of the VF-1 line and produce these models with almost garunteed success they will sell out and make money, while in the background either try to engineer the next Valk using Yamato methods or insert there own design techniques. I do not think this new company can afford to stay out of the Marcross market for a year while it tries to discover its self. Plus they can continue to ride the wave of success that came with the 30th anniversary. We may see re-packaging, but it would not be in the best interest of the company to axe this line. Think of it, people bought duplicates of VF-1s they already had, just for option parts!!! They have us hooked; all they need to do add some $3 option parts and they get $100+ out us. Invest $3 and get $100+ sounds like a good business to me and return on investment. And I am pretty sure this would be the same for M&M re-releases because if they are smart they will make the options parts red and blue making them even more of a temptation for people to buy them again.

(And as much as I want an M&M set, I do not want it bad enough to pay $400 for each right now).

Anyway, those are my two (maybe more) cents.

Edited by Plasticgoose

When Yamato called me to get my approval for their name change and new direction of buisiness, I told them that I would only consent if they continued with the macross line and also continued to develop and engineer new Valks. As a result of this, I am not worried. I also informed them that I was getting inpatient about the M&M reissue delay. They apologized and stated they would put their best team on it in order to make me happy. I then received the prototypes of the reissue 4 days later that they had expressed to me...they are excellent designs and I loved them.

I then woke up in bed and was pissed.

Edited by sreichma

I haven't heard of anything, but I don't know if that's any different from the usual difficulty people seem to have in getting Yamato to issue replacements parts, since even in the best of circumstances they only ever sent replacement parts to those living in japan anyway. Who knows.

Specialty collectibles for niche-markets always cost more. It's a fact of life for collectors of any genre.

Yamato created it's own Macross niche, but as they set the bar higher and higher on their amazing valks the prices needed to recoup their costs and fund future projects rose as well; perhaps to the point where it was getting hard for them to recoup those costs.

I mean, hell most of the MW members here have not really bought Yammies at full retail lately because the prices have risen quite a bit. The VF-17 retails for 24800 and the super pack version retails for 29600 yen. How many people ponied up 265 USD for the VF-17 at release? or even now?

The fact that HLJ and other exporters keep these things in stock so long and have to put them on sale is a clear indicator they don't move as fast as they'd like at full-retail. Since HLJ has a huge warehouse in the middle of nowhere and they sell in great volume they can afford to keep the slow movers around.

Can the same be said for Japanese brick and mortar stores who pay a premium for retail space in tightly cramped Tokyo? Would you rather be stocking a shelf full of slow-moving yammies that you'd have to discount heavily to sell, or would you stock a shelf full of cheap figs from Good Smile that move more quickly.

This is why Akiba toy stores are stocked heavily with anime figs and gundam; because they know they can move that merch faster and hopefully stay in business.

"But the export market is so strong for macross," they say. Yeah, it's easy to say that when you're on Macrossworld and surrounded by other collectors. We won't ever likely get the hard numbers and moreover, I doubt a company would base its survival on bypassing HG's trademarks via Online retailers to reach a wider audience.

Anywho, I'm excited to see what the new Arcadia has in store for Macross and moreover what they will do with the Macross licenses in order to turn a profit.

Edited by Duymon