Interesting times - changes at Yamato Toys

Tochiro

While I kinda-sorta get the Muv-Luv design ideas, that one doesn't look ANYTHING like an F-14. I'm trying hard, but I'm just not seeing it. Every airplane-ish piece looks either F-15 or F-16 to me. Whereas their YF-23, is very clearly a YF-23.

Their MiG-21 and F-4 aren't as obvious as the -23, but "Tomcat" is the last jet in the world I'd pick, when asked to guess what their design inspiration for that one was.

They could have said it was a VFA-103 F/A-18E, and I'd have said "yeah, I can sorta see that".

I have to go with the crowd on that one. There's a few distinctive features to me that say F-14... from where I'm sitting, at least that toy manages to convey exactly none of them. But again, I'm not fond of those designs in the first place. They look less like 'robots that are airplanes' (which Macross conveys perfectly) and more like something from armored core that an airplane threw up on. Adding little non-airplane skirt armor and an airplane hat does not an airplane make.

Can we go back to panicking about company changes and/or calling each other elitists yet?

I have to go with the crowd on that one. There's a few distinctive features to me that say F-14... from where I'm sitting, at least that toy manages to convey exactly none of them. But again, I'm not fond of those designs in the first place. They look less like 'robots that are airplanes' (which Macross conveys perfectly) and more like something from armored core that an airplane threw up on. Adding little non-airplane skirt armor and an airplane hat does not an airplane make.

Can we go back to panicking about company changes and/or calling each other elitists yet?

Hear, hear!

I've found Muv-Luv's mecha to be a wonderful combination of Mamoru Nagano's mecha style and Shinji Aramaki's 80s style. I've got a technical drawing of the Storm Vanguard Shiranui as my computer desktop here at the studio, and it has been mistaken for Armored Core on a couple of occasions... which is also Kawamori.

But with regard to Yamato's reorganization: I'm inclined to wonder if Yamato found itself heading along the same path that lead Takatoku into dissolution. Have they become engorged with extensive SKUs of wonderful product that are becoming too esoteric and too expensive to cover their investments, and need to shed some of the overhead gracefully? Their original business model might not support their endeavors any longer.

My only real disappointment in the matter - since their products have become far more expensive than I'm willing or able to invest in - is that their sofubi Breetai Kuridanik figure will probably be abandoned. I'll chip in my [ultimately useless] wish that the new reorganization would give them the opportunity to launch a more affordable line of sofubi or Revoltech-styled support mecha and characters, much like Toynami attempted with their soft-vinyl mecha line and T-Rex with their Zentran soldiers. (Not that the T-Rex products were in any way any more affordable or accessible that Yamato's to me, but the R&D for the possibility was there.)

Edited by AcroRay

If Arcadia makes this

vf-5000b-mplus-fighter-alt.gif

I will be a super happy camper :D

it looks like a plane. Please move the muv-luv convo to anime-scifi :p

I'll try to keep it on topic and get away from this Muv Luv nonsense. This Valk NEEDS to happen. Love it.

Back on topic I want this also

vf-14-m7plus-fighter.gif

I want one of these too, provided it isn't the M3 version (which I hate.) SR-71 like all the way for me.

I'll try to keep it on topic and get away from this Muv Luv nonsense.

sorry, not going to happen. Sadly, Muv-luv wins by default because it gets better figures of their pilots. Now if only we could get a big Klan/grace like these... :wub:

2gvrmdc.jpg

2ahxrs.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

sorry, not going to happen. Sadly, Muv-luv wins by default because it gets better figures of their pilots. Now if only we could get a big Klan/grace like these... :wub

Busty girls in tight flightsuits sell well as figures? Who'da thunk. :p (obviously not Bandai, based on all their Ranka-in-a-floral-dress releases)

I've gotta agree with the "no Muv Luv!" sentiment here. Just not feeling it at all.

Valk-wise, I hope they stay and keep cranking the puppies out! A VF-9 & -14 would be great to have for my "one of every number" collection.

Wheww.... after reading all the 10 pages of thread in this article, I just got to say these (coming from a fan who watched Macross back in the 80s and met some of the fans like Graham & Noel in HongKong):

- Yamato name-change to Arcadia: Sometimes this happens in business. Let's hope Arcadia will keep Macross fans' hope alive

- Expensive prices of Macross toys (Yamato or Bandai): As USD grows weaker, the prices of any toys will increase (this is not even factoring the cost of the company to produce the toys). I remember when 1 USD = ~109 yen back in the 2005. It's even more expense to go to Canada now. Plus, keep in mind that Bandai and Yamato are competitors per say as they are in some similar toy industry. Not a perfect example: if you look at the transformers toys by Takara and Hasbro toys, you can kind of understand the price differences and reasons why some folks choose one over the other. . (Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder)

- Elitist: I don't understand why this word is even being used here. I for one am happy that some of the members are willing those share their collection since they give me ideas of what collections they have, how the toys are displayed (using detolf shelf, custom shelf, special ligthting), actual reviews of the toys, etc.. I have found the reviews, comments, advices very useful since they give me enjoyment of seeing their collection, helping me in deciding which toys to buy, prevent me from "re-spinining the wheel" on things that I don't know of. Truth be told, sometimes these collectors will sell their spare valks in the forum for reasonable price and it provides opportunity for new toy collector to grab it and admire it.

For those who had travelled to these locations, It's the same excitement feeling when you walk accross the walls of shops in MongKong(HongKong) or Ahihabara (Tokyo) and seeing all the toys on the display cases. Nothing beats that feeling for toy collectors.

- I grew up admiring Bandai's 1/55 Macross. I was not able to afford one in my teen years. When I got my first full time job, the 1/55 prices have gone to the roof (IIRC, 1/55 ElintSeeker in 1999 cost at least $700 in MISB condition). I joined Macrossworld and when I found out Yamato announced the Mac+ toys and to be released with Toycom, I was overjoyed with excitement (until Toynami decided to ruin the parade). Still, with Ebay I am able to afford my very first Mac+ YF-21.Fast forward, after several Yamato toys release, Bandai decided to re-issue the 1/55. In my mind, without Yamato, it will probably take several more years before Bandai decides to reissue the 1/55s (not to mention of the cheaper prices on them since there's new competition in town). More competition means good things to consumers.

- I don't make a lot of money and I try to save for any upcoming releases. I remembered asking my Wife (then GF) to go to Mongkong (HK) and buy me the very first 1/60 Yamato release VF-1A Max. She went with her cousins to get one. It was her gift to me, but she also decided to let her cousins play with it first. She mentioned to me that her cousins (3 grown men) were full of excitement of handling this new toy and they were very carefull, in comparison to my Wife who decided to move pieces in-out without looking at the manual. Her cousins were not new to Macross and they had seen Bandai 1/55s, but the new concept that Yamato introduced opened their eyes. Sure, it's imperfect (you have to swap the legs), but if you ask all the long time members around MacrossWorld about what this release means , they will say something like having a light in the dark tunnel.

- As much as I want to collect these new toys, there will always be changes in life. Flashback to now, I have Wife and Kids. They are my priorities now. I had reduced my collection, as some other members had done as well. I did make one expensive purchase on one of the new releases. Sure, the prices will keep going up on this toys (but hey, what's new). We have issues with prices of gasoline, milk, eggs (you have to hear what my MotherInLaw is saying on the prices of the green onions). As long as we have inflation, prices will increase.

I guess the last note that I want to leave is be proud that we have MW forum that allows us to share our opinions, ideas, collections and heated opinions. Instead of always mentioning that prices is getting higher everyday, perhaps we need to look down at ourself and see if our income is growing or asking why our tax is increasing. Everyone around me is complaining about the recent tax laws and increases in the US, and I think those should be the main topic. Less income means less discretionary spending.

If Arcadia makes this

vf-5000b-mplus-fighter-alt.gif

I will be a super happy camper :D

it looks like a plane. Please move the muv-luv convo to anime-scifi :p

Muv Love mechs dont look like jets! They have Jets as their hip binders. Thats it. Now I love that jet Duymon. What is it and what does the bot mode look like.

Fixed.

-Kyp

Which blew up on its maiden flight :lol: