Interesting times - changes at Yamato Toys

Tochiro

Any American made Macross/Robotech movie would be the death nail for this franchise, hopefully Harmony Gold, in this one instance keep their Iron Fist firmly planted. Better off being written and directed by a Japanese loyalist.

last thing I want to see is Justin Beiber as Rick, drooling over Taylor Swift as Minmay.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Also the WB Macross title has been in pre-production for 8 years, that means it's dead.

pre-production at the latest, LATEST, is 1 year.

Deaded.

Yeah.. it really killed Transformers collecting.

What are you smoking? Yeah the movie will probably suck but it will increase interest in the franchise, they will release new toys for the movie, plus more old toys. That's just how it works. Cash in and spread the love.

A live action Macross would only be a Boon for collectors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-chooses-robotech-director-415144

If it was dead, why would they be picking a director?

6:11 PM PST 1/24/2013

It will get made. With the success of transformers (which was horrible) they will put any franchise on the screen that can repeat that success.

I hope Arcadia realize the potential and we get more toys.

Edited by Gakken85

Personally I'm kind of glad for any change at Yamato. To me they have taken Macross in an undesirable direction. First the original 1/60 that were loose as can be. Than they massively inflated the prices with the 1/48 and new 1/60s to the point that no kid from a blue collar family could ever hope to get one for a birthday or xmas. While their detail is amazing, they've made Macross into an elitist collectors line.

I'd rather see bandai get the entire license back and return to making durable well designed toys that kids can actually play with and families can afford.

Why would they "reissue" the V2 VF-1's? It's the same owner of the company as Yamato and they already reissued 30th anniversary VF-1's, lots of varieties, as Yamato this past year that have sold out most places. They're already aware of how they sell.

There are several variants that people like me are hopeful get reissued. I'm hoping for M&M VF-1Js, and others are hoping for a VT-1 reissue. These never saw a 30th anniversary reissue.

I'd rather see bandai get the entire license back and return to making durable well designed toys that kids can actually play with and families can afford.

Bandai Macross toys ain't that much cheaper than Yamato's and are significantly harder to obtain, what with the limit stocks which sell out online within seconds.

Graham

an easy conclusion for a casual MACROSS fan to surmise, i suppose.

imagine, if you will, the decades of collective dreams, for a modern, high-precision VF-1 replica,

while BANDAI and a tiny handful of of garage kit mfrs. toss out a smattering of reissues of flawed, ancient model kits

and fixed pose resin kits every five/seven years or so, and that's just discussing the VF-1 series itself.

imagine those also interested in MACROSS PLUS, and having to make do with craptastic BANDAI MACROSS 7 toys and models

in order to get their Y/VF-19 series fix, with but a tiny, highly skilled elite of pro modellers given any real alternative (S.H.E. variable YF-19/-21/-11B resin kits)

imagine that for the barest moment, if you will.

now, imagine a company coming along, -after 20 long years of tired MACROSS lip service from BANDAI and the others-

to service MACROSS with as much dedication as BANDAI has always shown for their GUNDAM franchise.

sounds like the wildest dream come true for the average MACROSS fan, does it not?

fast forward ten years, and see this company go beyond every MACROSS fans wildest dreams,

producing not only a VF-1 replica far beyond what anyone could have dared hope for in 25 years,

but to go beyond even that lofty goal to realize most every major VF design Kawamori-san ever dreamed up,

including some of his most "Anime Magic" ridden designs, in full "perfect transformation" scale replica form,

all of these incredible variable Mecha designs, that no one really realistically thought for one moment

could ever be so accurately rendered in three physical dimensions, realized, with such unbelievable virtuosity.

now then, please consider all this, and tell us, once more, how "Ridiculous" our collective "Addiction"

and the seeming Paranoia over it all suddenly fading into history, really seems to you.

this dedicated MACROSS fan, for one, is scared Shitless...

Very well written post. Completely agree.

Graham

Sorry, Bandai did dogshit with the other Macross licenses. They did SOMETHING with the Frontier license though.

Edited by xrentonx

Yeah.. it really killed Transformers collecting.

What are you smoking? Yeah the movie will probably suck but it will increase interest in the franchise, they will release new toys for the movie, plus more old toys. That's just how it works. Cash in and spread the love.

A live action Macross would only be a Boon for collectors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-chooses-robotech-director-415144

If it was dead, why would they be picking a director?

6:11 PM PST 1/24/2013

It will get made. With the success of transformers (which was horrible) they will put any franchise on the screen that can repeat that success.

I hope Arcadia realize the potential and we get more toys.

This isn't really the correct thread for this, but there's a pretty big Elephant in the room here that people seem to be forgetting about any upcoming Robotech movie, and that is very simply that it's a Robotech movie.

Robotech is not Macross, just like Macross is not Robotech.

Most likely, any Hollywood film will almost certainly be a general re-imagining anyway, and will have very little if any recognizable Macross content. Especially if you take into account HG's recent efforts to distance themselves from the Macross Saga, which probably has a lot to do with the fallout from Studio Neue vs. Tatsunoko, although that's another discussion altogether. For quite a while now, Robotech's focus has been almost entirely on Mospeada, which they have full rights to. If, and that's a big if, IF any robotech live action film is recognizable in any degree, it'll probably be closer to Mospeada than anything else at this point.

All that aside... Why would Yamato/Arcadia produce anything for this, even if/when it does happen? They have no working relationship with Harmony Gold, they have never had licence rights to Robotech, and it's unlikely that they would produce anything for an American film anyway. If you see any toys from that film go down, they'll be like every other Robotech branded product- Produced by Toynami.

In other words, any possible live action Robotech film will have nothing to do with Yamato/Arcadia whatsoever.

Bandai Macross toys ain't that much cheaper than Yamato's and are significantly harder to obtain, what with the limit stocks which sell out online within seconds.

Graham

I'd like to see Arcadia (ex-Yamato) try their hand at making less expensive Macross toys though. Perhaps take over where Bandai left off with the 1/100 Hi-Metal line.

I really wish Bandai would have continued with the 1/100 Hi-Metal line. I was looking forward to the YF-21 they had in prototype, and it would've been nice to have a Milia 1J to go along with Max's. But that's for another thread I guess...

Are you serious? Two companies tried 1/100 VF-1 toys one premium the other affordable and both had early demises.

Bandai never had the intestinal fortitude to go all out with the Hi-Metal line. Plus they started out on the wrong foot with the VF100s line, botched the Hi-Metal Fire Valk, and never recovered. Nobody really cares about Toynami.

Edited by Vifam7

I don't buy Yamato's Macross valks because they are cheap, I buy them because they're amazing. I don't want them to make some lower-cost alternative. There's enough of that going on. I can go anywhere and buy some piece of crap toy, but it's a rare company that makes something worth displaying on my wall.

I don't buy Yamato's Macross valks because they are cheap, I buy them because they're amazing. I don't want them to make some lower-cost alternative. There's enough of that going on. I can go anywhere and buy some piece of crap toy, but it's a rare company that makes something worth displaying on my wall.

QFT !!!

Nobody is saying Yamato (now Arcadia) should make cheap crap or stop making the 1/60 series.

I have no doubt that Yamato can make a smaller less expensive toy but still be of good quality and detail.

x2. At my age, I don't need low-cost toys - IMHO, they are more for playing, for killing time. I don't have much leisure time already.

The lower-cost toys are suitable for my toddler, who doesn't have a taste for quality (yet). Anything different and fresh to him will do. And preferably durable.

For me, I need something to admire at. I believe people love arts in that sense.

I agree with you guys. While I do love a smaller deluxe toy that I can handle (like the Hi-Metals), I'm not looking to buy disposable toys at this point in my life (unless we're talking about the stuff my son will be getting when he's a little older).

Bandai never had the intestinal fortitude to go all out with the Hi-Metal line. Plus they started out on the wrong foot with the VF100s line, botched the Hi-Metal Fire Valk, and never recovered. Nobody really cares about Toynami.

I think the only thing botched about the Hi-Metals were the pricing. They were nice little hunks of fun, but they priced themselves out of the market. I got most of my 1/60 VF-1s for less than it would have cost me to get one of the Hi-Metals.

Granted, there's a good deal of markup in there because of how hard the Hi-Metals were to get, but I'd chalk that up to Bandai's lack of fortitude in willing to take a risk and produce a decent amount of the things, not to mention their disregard for the international market.

Edited by Chronocidal

Personally I'm kind of glad for any change at Yamato. To me they have taken Macross in an undesirable direction. First the original 1/60 that were loose as can be. Than they massively inflated the prices with the 1/48 and new 1/60s to the point that no kid from a blue collar family could ever hope to get one for a birthday or xmas. While their detail is amazing, they've made Macross into an elitist collectors line.

They haven't MADE "Macross" into an elitist collectors line. They just make product to cater to pre-existing elitist collectors. There's a difference.

Yeah, the kids love Macross Zero! Fisher-Price's "My First SV-51" is very popular! All joking aside, I dare you to hand over a Bandai VF-171 to a child. I am not responsible for any damage to the valk or kid.

They haven't MADE "Macross" into an elitist collectors line. They just make product to cater to pre-existing elitist collectors. There's a difference.

Yeah, the kids love Macross Zero! Fisher-Price's "My First SV-51" is very popular! All joking aside, I dare you to hand over a Bandai VF-171 to a child. I am not responsible for any damage to the valk or kid.

indeed. the only MACROSS products BANDAI has ever produced that can take the average child's ham-fisted handling

are the old 1/55 VF-1's and their reissues, and those aren't even BANDAI's original design.

there are the M7 1/65's, which are only somewhat less durable than the 1/55 VF-1 series,

but they pretty much completely lack the sentimental quality that helps veteran MACROSS fans

to live with their generally fugly "chunky-monkey" -ness.

that, and they are honestly far more ill-proportioned than the 1/55s ever were, IMHO, anyway...

Edited by Shaorin

I'd have to disagree about the 1/65 VF-17S/D being less durable than the 1/55 VF-1. I've broken 1/55s before (especially head lasers), but I've yet to break a Bandai VF-17. I've got a dozen of them bought in 1995 and they have been used and abused, jam packed into a toy chest with other toys, hurled across the room, hit hard with a rolling pin (by my son), dropped, soaked in the bath, but nothing has ever broken. Despite being all plastic, they are built like tanks. The proprtions are not too bad also. To this day, the Bandai 1/65 VF-17D/S are still amoung my all time favorite Macross toys, for their ease of transformation, durability and the appearance is not too bad in battroid mode, or top down view in fighter mode. Bandai certain did a good job of adding all the correct panel lines.

Of course, the attrocious Bandai 1/65 VF-19Kai/S is a different story altogether.

Graham

I don't mind paying high prices for perfect transformation masterpieces.

I think the repaints scare away casual fans, as every line has a large usage of repaints

In order to profit on a mold, while I give a lot of credit to Yamato for

Interesting repaints( ie P,S), casual fans don't see the connections, and simply want

Throw back repaint a to the OG crew.

Look at the VF-4G, had it been the FB version, with the Roy looking paint scheme, it probably would have sold out quicker

Instead of the VFX scheme.

Coincidentally, I heard that Yamato carries a high profit margin for thier retailers.

So when they go on sale, they still make money.

No doubt the new Arcadia will capitalize on the Yamato molds,

And re-release popular molds in new schemes.

The VF-4 will be back, and more then likely any items already developed will

Get used.

I get the feeling this is more of a evolution of a company, then a reset.

Hopefully we can get some confirmation soon.

I'd have to disagree about the 1/65 VF-17S/D being less durable than the 1/55 VF-1. I've broken 1/55s before (especially head lasers), but I've yet to break a Bandai VF-17. I've got a dozen of them bought in 1995 and they have been used and abused, jam packed into a toy chest with other toys, hurled across the room, hit hard with a rolling pin (by my son), dropped, soaked in the bath, but nothing has ever broken. Despite being all plastic, they are built like tanks. The proprtions are not too bad also. To this day, the Bandai 1/65 VF-17D/S are still amoung my all time favorite Macross toys, for their ease of transformation, durability and the appearance is not too bad in battroid mode, or top down view in fighter mode. Bandai certain did a good job of adding all the correct panel lines. Of course, the attrocious Bandai 1/65 VF-19Kai/S is a different story altogether. Graham

I agree. I've actually been meaning to get another one since the one I have has been in the UK for about a decade.

EDIT -- If only it could bend at the knees!!

Edited by Renato

LOL.........comedy gold :p

Graham

I found this on Arcadia's official blog:

A Macross collector's question and Arcadia's reply (http://ameblo.jp/arcadiaac/entry-11469167574.html#cbox)

1. 無題
マクロス関連の製品の紹介はしていただけないのでしょうか?今年のライナップも発表するという事がワンフェスの告知でありましたが・・・。
  • 2. Re:無題
    >yf19aさん

コメントありがとうございます!
    マクロス関連商品のご紹介なのですが、現在準備中につきもう少々お待ちくださいませ・・・

情報開示時期になりましたら、HPおよびブログ等でも情報公開ををさせて頂きます。

何卒、よろしくお願い致します。

According to Google translation, it seems that Arcadia needs some preparation time before revealing more information about upcoming Macross products. This at least confirms that there will be more Macross products.

Yup Not saying bandai wont milk it for every dime. But at least it will be limited breakages. Maybe ! lower prices. While I do love my valks, and I have a lot, not like some here who have multiples, cause I have no idea where they earn their money, with myself in a sort of decent job with family to support could never afford. In some respects its become an elitist group and basically yamato has marginalized themselves to a small core of collectors that from a business perspective isn't sustainable

Where are people getting "elite" from? Probably not the right term in this case. I sure as shi_t wouldn't be collecting a bunch of Valks as a status symbol of my place in society if I was elitist. Most of us likely don't make any more money than you guys anyway. Just like you, we know where to budget our money and what we have to give up in order to pursue our hobby.

Some people prefer to buy ten cheaper Transformers every month and that's fine. Others prefer to skip all of those and get one Masterpiece every four or five months. How is that elitist?

Just give me a quality piece every so often and I'm happy. Yamato or Bandai.

I happen to prefer Yamato because they built something with me in regards to MACROSS over the better part of a decade where Bandai has not.

Edited by xrentonx