Removing rainbow tint finish on VF-1 v2 canopies - How to?

Graham

Can somebody remind me what is the easiest and safest way to remove the rainbow tint finish from Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2 canopies?

I was just checking my v2 VF-1 toys and noticed two (VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S low-vis Focker) where the rainbow finish is cracking and flaking off.

Graham

Can somebody remind me what is the easiest and safest way to remove the rainbow tint finish from Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2 canopies?

I was just checking my v2 VF-1 toys and noticed two (VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S low-vis Focker) where the rainbow finish is cracking and flaking off.

Graham

used brake fluid!

quote name="Shaorin" post="1021465" timestamp="1360796242"]

91% isopropyl from WAL-MART will do the trick.

EASY DOES IT, though; the alcohol will mar any paint-work it contacts!!

Yeah, I'm not putting alcohol anywhere near mine, I don't want to risk accidently rubbing off the black panit on the canopy frame.

As I mentioned, using dish washing detergent seems to work fine and won't harm the paint.

Graham

My question is why would you want to. It looks pretty cool to me. Just an opinion of course. To each his own.

The reason Yamato discontinued the rainbow finish to the canopies is because they were not satisfied with the quality of the finish as it was found that on a small percentage, cracking and flaking would occur.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

You probably need to disassemble the whole thing.

On that note, I wish there was more documentation available on how to take these toys apart, with the number of hidden screws and such that some of these things have

You can check the No Paint kit construction manual (courtesy www.mech9.com):

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2012/07/yamato-160-vf-1-no-paint-kit-w-bonus-parts-construction-manual/

Yeah, I was noticing VF-X, Angel Birds, Cavalier's any of the special weathered one's. Other than the reissued VF-1D and 1S Roy SDFM I've got the only other canopies I'd want tinted are all on special releases that never saw an original with the tint. Besides, most of the older fuselages are covered in decals I've applied as well.