Which Yamato Hikaru Ichijyo valkyrie should I buy? I only have money f

Swooshiex

Hi,

Which Yamato Hikaru Ichikyo valkyrie should I buy? I only have money to buy one. I grew up watching Macross and I hope to get one for the memories. I am considering the following and I heard that there are different versions so I can't decide, e.g. 1.0, 2.0, etc.?

VF-1J 1/60

VF-1J 1/48

VF-1S 1/60

VF-1S 1/48

Thank you!

Go for a 1/60 scale version 2. Get the latest releases with the extra option parts (side covers and raised pilot seat for display in battroid mode). Also, the latest versions have the benefit of not having the rainbow finished canopy which occasionally could crack and peel and they also have the revised hip locking which is easier to transform.

As for whether you decide on the VF-1J or VF-1S (TV or DYRL), that's really up to your personal taste and preference.

I personally prefer the DYRL Hikaru VF-1S, as I'm far more of a DYRL fan than I am a SDFM Macross TV fan.

They are all good toys, whatever you end up getting.

Graham

I remember way back when I thought a TV V2 1/60 VF-1S would be good enough for my collection... now I own every Yamato V2 1/60 that Hikaru spent significant time in (except for his training VF-1J that I just don't like the color of). You're on a slippery slope of madness if you expose yourself to a V2 1/60, but ultimately I'd probably say his red/white VF-1J would be a good one time buy if you have enough self control to just buy one.

Thank you all for the fast replies! You are awesome! I am so excited. Looks like I will be getting a 1/60 ver 2 with option parts. I'll need to sleep over this to decide over the shortlisted ones. I live in the USA. Should I buy on ebay or elsewhere?

Do all of you know where I can find a list of the different box designs so that I don't buy the wrong one? Yamato seems to have issued so many models that I'm confused. At the moment, I think I'm most keen on the 1/60 VF-1S version 2 Hikaru (DYRL) and Roy (TV) sets with option parts.

Edited by i12fj

To my understanding,

-VF-1 means the plane

-S or J type means different head (S is the head with 4 laser canons, J is the dual canons, A is the single canon head, D it will depend)

-DYRL and TV version means different color scheme, basically hikaru TV version is the white with red stripes, DYRL is the white/red/black with skull markings

-Hikaru means red color scheme, Foker means yellow/black, etc

The latest releases of Hikaru's VF-1 that include the optional display seat and side covers are probably the easiest and cheapest 1/60 version 2 models to obtain today. You will have the choice between VF-1J Hikaru TV version and VF-1S DYRL Movie version Hikaru

I live in Europe, and I usually recommend Nippon Yasan and Anime Export online shops. For the USA, I usually read good reviews from Hobby Link Japan.

Regards

I remember way back when I thought a TV V2 1/60 VF-1S would be good enough for my collection... now I own every Yamato V2 1/60 that Hikaru spent significant time in (except for his training VF-1J that I just don't like the color of). You're on a slippery slope of madness if you expose yourself to a V2 1/60, but ultimately I'd probably say his red/white VF-1J would be a good one time buy if you have enough self control to just buy one.

Back then I planned to get a Focker VF-1S w/SSP and a VF-1J w/GBP. Thought I'd got the iconic ones. Fair enough.

I ended up getting everyone of them. They are just that good!

If do not plan to transform it a lot I would say go for the 1/48 (I love fighter mode on the 1/48 and is quite big). I would get a VF-1S, the J's head is quite ugly (for my taste).

You get some nice gimmicks nose cone radar, air brake, and moving wing flaps.

The only down side are those stupid wing flaps that in some cases are very lose but can be fixed very easily.

Or if you want a transforming toy get a 1/60, and for the memory thing I would get a VF-1S because it was Roy Fokker and Hikaru valk in the show.

Tough call, there's so many variants in so many scales. It would be hard to recommend because people often think of Hikaru in so many different lights. I personally think of him as flying the 1J. But that's because I love SDFM so much and really don't care for DYRL at all. He was in his 1J the longest and the 1S was Roy's as far as I'm concerned. Others disagree. I suppose it's a good thing nobody can agree, that means there's some change/progression in the stories so none of us have to settle on just one. Probably there's somebody around who says get the 1D because that's Hikaru's first taste flying a Valkyrie and is his true representation as well.

Both scales of the VF-1 are actually great, in my opinion. Each have their own pros and cons. But here's my take on it in a nut shell: 1/48 scale = perfect display piece because of it's size. 1/60 scale = perfect for playability purposes. And since the head design is a matter of preferrence, I'd say go for the one that you really like!

Actually, I know a lot of people claiming to "choose one only", and end up getting multiples.

So true! I started off with the 1/60 Hikaru VF-1J + Super Packs set and thought it was the ultimate Valkyrie toy and that I didn't need anyone else. Oh, was I naive...

Edited by Lorindor

I'm also new to the forms and also looking of adding a vf to my collection.

Decided its a yamato 1/60 with options/30th anniversary.

I want the vf-1j but the "Snow White" white worries me... So I started leaning towards the movie version 30th anniv vf-1s

Any thoughts about the white white over the gray.

Is it correct that the tv versions are all white white and the movie version is white/gray?

The 30th anniversary vf-1s red HI ver is white/gray?

I'm also leaning towards the red vf-1s because I can find it. The vf-1j 30anniv I can't find, other option is buy the vf-1j and buy the super parts anniversary edition that had option parts (that's great but also $$, ideally I'd hold off on s. parts for now)

Anyway, any insight would be great. I'm obviously new to the macross world.

Also, any ideas where I can find any of theses? Seem to be sold out at most retailers that cater to us market.

I started my larger scale Macross collection with the DYRL VF-1A, which is almost identicle to the 1S apart from the head and some of the markings, and I have to say that I love the slightly off-white grey color it comes in. It makes it feel a lot less 'toy-like' somehow, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm leaning towards grabbing a Hikaru VF-1J in the near future, but I'm also a little nervous about that bright white.

Nippon Yasai seems to be a pretty good bet, at least as far as the VF-1S goes. The VF-1J was reissued recently but it seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere I've looked too. You can always try ebay, although I have to say I've had very good experiences buying from our fellow members right here on this forum, if you don't mind the secondary market and have the patience for it.

Go for a 1/60 scale version 2. Get the latest releases with the extra option parts (side covers and raised pilot seat for display in battroid mode). Also, the latest versions have the benefit of not having the rainbow finished canopy which occasionally could crack and peel and they also have the revised hip locking which is easier to transform.

As for whether you decide on the VF-1J or VF-1S (TV or DYRL), that's really up to your personal taste and preference.

I personally prefer the DYRL Hikaru VF-1S, as I'm far more of a DYRL fan than I am a SDFM Macross TV fan.

They are all good toys, whatever you end up getting.

Graham

Just to confirm that the 30th anniversary valkyries do not have the rainbow canopy?

Thank you!

Let's talk about which one to avoid:

First avoid the 1:60 version 1, see packaging here.

Next read the version 2 review and pay attention to this list.

Now do you want the 1:48? The 1:48 VF-1S (movie) were reissued last year so it is still relatively easy to find at reasonable price ($200). The problem is the matching fast/strike pack is very hard to find now.

For 1:60 version 2, both VF-1J and VF-1S (movie) were recently reissued so go for those, going for about $150 each. If you prefer the GBP armor, get the VF-1J, otherwise get the VF-1S. The matching fast/strike pack is easy to get ($100).

Let's talk about which one to avoid:

First avoid the 1:60 version 1, see packaging here.

Next read the version 2 review and pay attention to this list.

Now do you want the 1:48? The 1:48 VF-1S (movie) were reissued last year so it is still relatively easy to find at reasonable price ($200). The problem is the matching fast/strike pack is very hard to find now.

For 1:60 version 2, both VF-1J and VF-1S (movie) were recently reissued so go for those, going for about $150 each. If you prefer the GBP armor, get the VF-1J, otherwise get the VF-1S. The matching fast/strike pack is easy to get ($100).

Thank you! Where should I buy either the 1:60 version 2, both VF-1J or VF-1S (movie), with super parts? I live in the USA. I've checked Nippon Yassan but their super parts are out of stock.

I'm looking for the same things. Actually I'm looking for the 30th anniv vf-1j

You can find the 30th anniversary vf-1s and the super parts both on eBay

The vf-1j 30th anniv I haven't been able to find. I guess you could get the non anniv and get the 30th anniv super parts with options.

(Or fan made option parts)

Is it correct that the tv versions are all white white and the movie version is white/gray?

Yes.... Here is a pic of my DYRL Hikaru A, next to the TV Roy. And yes, The DYRL Hikaru S is the same shade as the A. Just different head, and call sign(001 vs 011).

IMG_20130115_140904.jpg

Thank you! Where should I buy either the 1:60 version 2, both VF-1J or VF-1S (movie), with super parts? I live in the USA. I've checked Nippon Yassan but their super parts are out of stock.

You can also try Angolz. They might have what you are looking for. NOTE: They have a 30th Hikaru S on sale now. ;) Edited by vt102

You can also try Angolz. They might have what you are looking for. NOTE: They have a 30th Hikaru S on sale now. ;)

Thank you so much for the heads-up!!! :) Is this 30th Hikaru S going to be white/grey? The pictures on the Angolz website shows the callsign 001 instead of 011.

Is there a 1/60 30th Hikaru S that is in white instead of white/grey? I think I have a preference for white.

Thank you so much for the heads-up!!! :) Is this 30th Hikaru S going to be white/grey? The pictures on the Angolz website shows the callsign 001 instead of 011.

Is there a 1/60 30th Hikaru S that is in white instead of white/grey? I think I have a preference for white.

1/60 DYRL Hikaru VF-1S is white/grey. All the DYRL VF-1S/VF-1A are white/grey

Only the TV versions use the bright white plastic, e.g. TV VF-1S Focker and TV VF-1J Hikaru.

Hikaru's DYRL VF-1A is callsign 011. Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S is callsign 001.

Graham

1/60 DYRL Hikaru VF-1S is white/grey. All the DYRL VF-1S/VF-1A are white/grey

Only the TV versions use the bright white plastic, e.g. TV VF-1S Focker and TV VF-1J Hikaru.

Hikaru's DYRL VF-1A is callsign 011. Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S is callsign 001.

Graham

Hi Graham,

The angolz website says that their VF-1S Focker is the 30th movie version.Shouldn't it be named the VF-1S Focker 30th tv version?

http://www.angolz.com/store/1-60-macross-vf-1s-roy-focker-movie-ver-with-option-parts-30th-anniversary-sticker.html

Or do they have two versions for the VF-1S Focker 30th, i.e. movie version and tv version?

Sorry for the confusion.