Supervision Army 30 years later.

TisSweet

Hi everyone I have a lot of question and I know a lot of people have talk about it before. I look through this forum and on the internet and so on trying to figure it out.

I just finished watching the original super Super Dimension Fortress Macross. I havent watch this thing like in 9 years or less. So I really never realize it until I started to watch it again. The question is about

Who or What the hell are the Supervision Army that the Zedtradi been fighting for the past 500,000 years ?

My number 1 question is, where the hell is the Supervision Army in the Macross Universe ?

When I was watching the original macros tv series it seem every zedtradi had seen or fought against supervision, from Vrlitwhai, Exsedol, Golg Boddole Zer fleet. So I was thinking to myself maybe they havent seen supervision army in a few years, 5 or 10 years, because thats why we havent seen them yet. Then something caught my attention when Millia said no one have every beat me in a battle before, when I was fighting against supervision army. Is the episode when she decides to be a miclone.

So it cant been that long that the zendtradi have seen the supervision army.

Another episode is viva maria , when they seen that ship wreck and was supervision army and it seem golg boddole zer fleet had destroy it. Exsedol said we gave all the data information about supervision army to earth when Misa Hayase wanted to check it out but they thought it was another booby trap. Just like the macross was.

I mean was that strange or what is like they were going back there in another episode or something but never did.

Now that got me thinking maybe thats what happen to Megaroad 01 I mean we never seen it again and we never seen supervision army either and they got mix up somehow. Just saying wow I,m getting deep here.

So my question are:

What are the supervision army are they humanoid or are alien like zedtradi they must been giant too .

Where the hell are they it seem they disappear in 2009 or so, did the zedtradi fleet had wipe them all out.

Maybe I just answer my own question I know I know Macross 7. Protodeviln brainwashing captured humanoids into a massive fighting force, the Supervision Army.

So basely Supervision Army was just humanoid had been brainwash into fighting machine like the people of macross 5 .

Then if that true where are the original Supervision army before 2009 the one the zentradi fighting over 500,000 years. Are they giant like the zentradi.

maybe if ever studio nue ever answer this question the macross franshise will end ??? The mystery will finally be over with ???

sorry for error,misspelled and grammar in this post .

From what I've been told, the Supervision Army (or SA or whatever) are the Protodeviln-controlled soldiers they used to wipe out the Protoculture. The Protoculture managed to imprison the Protodeivln, but the Zentradi then spent the next few thousand-some-odd years fighting with the remnants.

VF-15, that maybe the backstory that was reconned

From what I've been told, the Supervision Army (or SA or whatever) are the Protodeviln-controlled soldiers they used to wipe out the Protoculture. The Protoculture managed to imprison the Protodeivln, but the Zentradi then spent the next few thousand-some-odd years fighting with the remnants.

thats the story that had (if you can call it) maybe-retconned into cannon. and to be honest, its probably the best idea going but when the PC's created the PD's, was the PD's conflict more like a revolution?

that begs the question for the current timeline. Will the next big war be fought between former colonies of the UNS/NUNS? I mean, it sort of already has been, if you consinder the Frontier/Galaxy engagement...

The reason the whole story about the Supervision Army feels weird now some 30 real years after the first SDF Macross TV series has aired is because the SA were only ever meant to be a plot-driven device to get the protagonists and antagonists into a place where they needed to be to tell the story of Macross. Very little else has been said about the Supervision Army because it's never been required for any Macross story. THe SA is ultimately not that relevant to what goes on in the various Macross stories. Only really interested fans like ourselves have any motivation to know more. But when you look at it from the writer's persepective, there's no reason to detail anything more about the Supervision Army. Indeed, the Macross writers have all but ignored the SA.

The Supervision Army were a Protodevelin mind controlled mlitary comprised of captured Zentradi & Protoculture citizens. Here's the order of events.

-Protocutlure come into existence.

-Protoculture develope into two seperate cultures.

-Protoculture take-off into space, and eventually encounter the Vajra.

-Protoculture become enamored with the Vajra.

-Protocutlure form the Stellar republic, and begin seeding space.

-The Protoculture divide escalates into a universe wide conflict.

-The Protoculture decide "hey, I don't like you, and you don't like me, but this killing each other sh!t needs to stop, how about we create a proxy race to fight our battles."

-The Zentradi (male on one side, female on the other) carry on the Protoculture's fight for them.

-One side decides the Zentradi aren't "good enough" and want to endgame or escalate the conflict.

-That same side developes the "EVIL" series of Zentradi based on their more advanced technology/Vajra study.

-The Protoculture are unable to suitibly power the "EVIL," and start looking to extra dimentional menas to do so.

-Protoculture develope super dimenison organs that tap into other dimensions/realities for power, and accidentally bring over the Protodevelin.

-Protodevelin are all "WTF is this sh!t," and adapt to their new surroundings by fully possessing the EVIL bodies, and feeding on the only source of food available to them, i.e. all life in the universe.

-Protodevelin are smart motherfrakkers, and adapt all of the Protoculture's technology to their purposes.

-Protodevelin "enlist" some Protocutlure and Zentradi to their aid, and form what becomes known as "The Supervision Army."

-Protoculture are all "FTS," resolve their differences, band back together, and repurpsoe the Zentradi to fight the Supervision Army. Unfortunately, this requires the Protoculture to remove the directive to "not" attack Protoculture citizens.

-Protoculture discover "Anima Spiritia," but are only able to use it to seal away the Protodevelin.

-After heavy losses, the Protodevelin conflict is over, the Stellar Republic is pretty jacked up, and the Protocutlue have finally learned their god damned lesson.

-Oh wait, there's stilll the Zentradi problem, so the Protocutlure decide to demilitarize them, and incoorporate them into their society to help rebiuld it.

-Zentradi are all "WTF is this sh!t" and decide the Protoculture are now their enemy.

-Protoculture are all "oops, that limiter is off, and we're in some bad sh!t irght now."

-Zentradi whipe out all known remaining Protoculture.

-Zentradi continue to hunt down Superivision Army remnants.

-Zentradi have some fleet conflicts as well.

Now sometime during the pre-fallout period, a Protoculture science team also decides to implement an "existence" safeguard by seeding life on Earth, with a failsafe in place incase humans grow up to be dumbshits like the Protoculture.

And the rest you should know. The Supervision aren't anything particularly special, and considering their lack of presence in 7 and Frontier, I'd say the Zentradi were pretty thorough in hunting them down. This is also inferred by the Zentradi having the free time to hunt down a target that they were pretty sure was dead anyway (i.e. the Macross).

I like the DYRL version of the story where the Protoculture are thousands of years dead and the only two opposing forces are their mindless slaves being the Zentradi and Meltrandi.

Keith, that was the best summary of the Protoculture, SA, Protodevelin & Zentradi of all time, any questions I might have still had have been answered. Thank you! :)

Though it will ever happen, I'd love to see a Anime series based on all of this.

Edited by 505thAirborne

The SA initially were the Defense Fleet of the Development Project producing the EVIL series of bio weapons. They were the first to be taken and every fleet they encountered were absorbed like the ST Borg. When it became clear to the PC what was happening, it was too late. The PD's SA had massed into a formidable fighting force who had a clear advantage over the PC Zentradi because of the micron personnel who fought alongside the giant Zentradi.

This forced the Stellar Republic to revoke the directive that preserved the micron population and that would ultimately come back to wipe out most of that same population later.

At last look at the history

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Category:Chronology

the PC are "nearly annhilliated" which the old compendium actually gave a percentage of dead vs the remainder who went into hiding at the fringes of the galaxy. The core world were decimated by collateral damage between the SA and The Zentradi.

Nowhere is it stated the Zentradi targeted PC worlds, but it is reasonable to assume that if an SA ship landed on one or was in the system, the Zents could "sanitize" the system.

IMO there is even less reason to believe the SA were still under the PD mind control long after the PD were sealed. We saw how easily Basara was able to break that control and it is reasonable to expect the PC used similar methods to break the original control. However with the PC Commanders not able to re-institute the "Do Not Interfere" directive, all recovered PC and Zentradi in SA fleets would remain targets of the out of control Zentradi fleets which numbered in the millions.

I tend to believe the SA are former PD forces fighting for their lives against a numerically superior and relentless foe. It is possible they possess superior tech and tactics but they also risk being overrun if they get involved in a stand up fight with the Zentradi. It is also possible that much of the collateral destruction of the PC may have been a result of PC forces/ systems defending repatriated brethren against a single minded enemy.

Whatever SA forces do exist are very likely in hiding or move about as quietly as possible. The core worlds which most likely made up the bulk of the Stellar Republic are either destroyed or abandoned, while marauding fleets "patrol" the known space lanes for SA forces.

I don't believe the SA are extinct, just fighting to survive as best they can against a foe with superior numbers.

Imagine waking up from a bad dream to find someone sitting on top of you punching your head for reasons you are not really clear about.

That may have been what it was like to wake up from PD mind control as a PC commander or Zentradi soldier in a Supervision Army fleet. Under attack by those who were once your comrades.

WOW!! very thorough, I was never quite clear on the SA lore within Macross. Thanks!

I don't remember very well, the PC manage to overcome the Protodevlin and seal them right? so before the events of Macross 7, the Macross 5 fleet encountered the world where they were sealed/frozen and released them by mistake?

Kind of makes you feel bad for the Zentradi, they've been puppets running on automatic for over 500,000 cycles until SDFM.

I would love and OVA series of Millia ace adventures against the SA

I think it was thevMegaroad 13 fleet that first stumbled onto the Protodevilin, with the Varuta expedition fleet following their disappearence. The Macross 5 fleet was a target selected by Gepelnitch to resupply the PD forces, and test the Spiritia Farm project.

There is no indication to think the Protoculture Anima Spiritia was able to, or even thought of breakng the SA's mind control. Just as there is no support to imply it wuld havejust worn off. We can extrapilate that integrating the Zentradi was a total fail for the PC by the existence of "the sign of peace," as well as Bodolza's clear cut call that any Protoculture influence on Zentradi must be wiped out.

We can extrapilate that integrating the Zentradi was a total fail for the PC by the existence of "the sign of peace," as well as Bodolza's clear cut call that any Protoculture influence on Zentradi must be wiped out.

I don't think it's a total failure in the sense of applying to all Zentraadi. One could interpret the sign of peace as a reaction to Bodolza et al's reaction to not wanting to concede or give up power to the Protoculture - which is what integration would entail - and those Zentraadi that didn't integrate are what continued to multiply and wage ware for 500,000 years.

Nevertheless, either way, the Zentraadi are tragic figures. Which is what makes them extremely compelling as protagonists for me.

I don't think it's a total failure in the sense of applying to all Zentraadi. One could interpret the sign of peace as a reaction to Bodolza et al's reaction to not wanting to concede or give up power to the Protoculture - which is what integration would entail - and those Zentraadi that didn't integrate are what continued to multiply and wage ware for 500,000 years.

Nevertheless, either way, the Zentraadi are tragic figures. Which is what makes them extremely compelling as protagonists for me.

One of the things that I loved about Macross Frontier was the fact that they had giant Zentradi living peacefully among humans in the Frontier fleet. I was actually quite thrilled to see giant, Zentradi children in the scenes if Folmo Mall. Those scenes made it clear that the Zentradi were entirely capable of living peaceful existences.

One of the things that I loved about Macross Frontier was the fact that they had giant Zentradi living peacefully among humans in the Frontier fleet. I was actually quite thrilled to see giant, Zentradi children in the scenes if Folmo Mall. Those scenes made it clear that the Zentradi were entirely capable of living peaceful existences.

Yes because we humans are much better than them at living peacefully.

I would love and OVA series of Millia ace adventures against the SA

I would also love to see this too !

The question is where the hell the SA go. I mean is seem weird or strange to disappear after the zentradi made contact with humans on the macross.

I mean when the last time the zentradi seen or battle the SA... a year, two years before when they found the macross. Sa sure like to leave there spaceship behind everywhere. one on earth eventually became the macross and the viva maria episode and nobody seem to be found. oohh scary !!

Folmo mall was a great concept. I would bet that people would make trips to the Frontier colony just to see that, Zentran or not.

What always amused me about Mikhail challenging Ranka to sing there.....

It's like he challenged her to sell huge beltbuckles... then realized they were in Texas. DOH!

Can you friggin imagine the amount of music and musical instrument stores in a Zendradi MALL? The people that owe thier current state of culture and enjoyable lifestyle to just music? It would damn near be religious for them.

I normally would call total BS on people joining in with insturments right away when Ranka started singing "What 'bout my star?"... but at Formo? I buy it. They totally would.

---

One thing I have wondered... Why don't (more?) full humans change to Zentran size? I know Max did in DYRL to fit in a Quedlann, but is it canon that pure humans can in TV/other series? I would think so.

(Mikhail what are you thinking??? Get in dat tube then!)

Or do they just avoid doing it because they could be clumsy and hurt someone? Maybe need a licence to go Zentran size?

I bet cultured Zentrans have to be strict with thier toddlers so they don't pop off Micron heads.

Those scenes made it clear that the Zentradi were entirely capable of living peaceful existences.

Nods. It was an excellent counterpoint to the lost Zentraadi that Isamu battled with at the start of M+.

Alas, MF gave the Zentraadi the short end of their stick with their later appearance on Gaul 4. T.T

Gotta have someplace to station all the asshat "Kamjin #____" brother clones.

Tenjim was the least worst part of that sequence. I'd go so far as to say that he was the only Zentraadi on Gaul 4 that acted like a normal person (an enraged, psychopath, but a person nonetheless). The other ones going gah-gah for an idol singer? Sad where the producers of MF decided to take the Zentraadi to...

Tenjim was the least worst part of that sequence. I'd go so far as to say that he was the only Zentraadi on Gaul 4 that acted like a normal person (an enraged, psychopath, but a person nonetheless). The other ones going gah-gah for an idol singer? Sad where the producers of MF decided to take the Zentraadi to...

Eh, it's sad because the writers fall back on a Zentradi trope that should no longer apply to them--these guys were integrated enough to wear the insignia of humans, yet they act like low-rent versions of male Zentradi from the original series. It doesn't make much in-story sense, and adding clones of the older characters makes it even more repetitive.

The Folmo mall is adorable, though. :3

There is no indication to think the Protoculture Anima Spiritia was able to, or even thought of breakng the SA's mind control. Just as there is no support to imply it wuld havejust worn off. We can extrapilate that integrating the Zentradi was a total fail for the PC by the existence of "the sign of peace," as well as Bodolza's clear cut call that any Protoculture influence on Zentradi must be wiped out.

I disagree. For the Anima Spiritia forces to get close to the PD, they had waves of SA forces to get through first. How does one do that? Disable them like Basara did to the Varuata pilots in M7. If the mind control could not be broken then Basara would not have been able to do it either. He was the first to be found to possess the Anima Spritia ability in over half a million years. If he could do it, it is not so far fetched to extrapolate that it was done before and perhaps on a larger scale, since we know that there were Anima Spiritia soldiers (= plural).

From a purely tactical point of view, if a PC general discovers their AS soldier have the ability to break the PD mind control, of course they will exploit that. How better to get close enough to capture and imprison the PD than to have their own army turn against them? How much more impossible would it be to try to segregate the PD from their forces to imprison them if the mind control was unbreakable? Your statement would suppose that the PD somehow forgot how to permanently control the minds of their subjects.

I would also love to see this too !

The question is where the hell the SA go. I mean is seem weird or strange to disappear after the zentradi made contact with humans on the macross.

I mean when the last time the zentradi seen or battle the SA... a year, two years before when they found the macross. Sa sure like to leave there spaceship behind everywhere. one on earth eventually became the macross and the viva maria episode and nobody seem to be found. oohh scary !!

The Galaxy is a very big place and humanity is coming from "the outskirts" as it were. It is possible that the Megaroad 01 encountered the SA or an SA, Zentradi battle. There has never been a reason to include the SA in a Macross story so where they are and what they are doing other than fighting Zentradi somewhere in the galaxy is all we've been given so far.

Edited by Zinjo

The Galaxy is a very big place and humanity is coming from "the outskirts" as it were. It is possible that the Megaroad 01 encountered the SA or an SA, Zentradi battle. There has never been a reason to include the SA in a Macross story so where they are and what they are doing other than fighting Zentradi somewhere in the galaxy is all we've been given so far.

See that's interesting to me, because the way the SA was mentioned in SDF Macross by Exsedol always had me thinking that there'd be more Zentradi/SA battles to come in subsequent series.

I mean, I guess we sort of got something sorta like that, but mecha music, yeah, no, no thank you.

I always like to tell myself that the Megaroad01 was lost because Hikaru had a fling with Minmei, Misa found out and steered the thing into a black hole!

The whole PC/Zentradi/PD backstory was one of the few good things from Macross 7, yet they only dedicated if I recall correctly...umm, 2 episodes out of 49.

So the only thing I remember from Macross 7 was Basara yelling like an idiot to listen to his song and this:

"Anima spiritia.... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh".... *fly away*

After the honeymoon period of Macross Frontier went away, I just realize Frontier was a lazy remake of SDFM with small twists to sell Bandai toys and the whole Vajra backstory is as dumb as the Kadun bird human thing from Zero.

Back on topic. Given how the SA army fate is left unclear and the vastness of the universe, who's to say a small fleet folded to the other part of the galaxy, colonize planets and are living happily ever after. Maybe that's were the Bird Human took Sara and Shin.

Damn.... I'd like a hit of what Kawamori smokes.

Eh, it's sad because the writers fall back on a Zentradi trope that should no longer apply to them--these guys were integrated enough to wear the insignia of humans, yet they act like low-rent versions of male Zentradi from the original series. It doesn't make much in-story sense, and adding clones of the older characters makes it even more repetitive.

The Folmo mall is adorable, though. :3

I'm integrated into society, I'm even full blood human, but if Ranka flew down on a plane and started a concert, I would likely have a nose bleed, freak out, or faint. True story.

We really can't help that pure Zendradi are clones. Even humans participated in cloning after Space war I to help restore the population as canon.

Back on topic. Given how the SA army fate is left unclear and the vastness of the universe, who's to say a small fleet folded to the other part of the galaxy, colonize planets and are living happily ever after. Maybe that's were the Bird Human took Sara and Shin.

Mardook? :D

One thing I have wondered... Why don't (more?) full humans change to Zentran size? I know Max did in DYRL to fit in a Quedlann, but is it canon that pure humans can in TV/other series? I would think so.

(Mikhail what are you thinking??? Get in dat tube then!)

Why didn't they just make zentran-sized VF-25's or even VF-171's, complete with Zentran-sized ex-gears? They could squish Varja like little ants :D

Why didn't they just make zentran-sized VF-25's or even VF-171's, complete with Zentran-sized ex-gears? They could squish Varja like little ants :D

Considering the Lobsters has buster cannons on their back and the hammerheads had lethal tails, I would be inclined to still give the Vajra a large edge...