Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

I'm not playing the victim, I'm pointing out how thin-skinned the author of that atrocious piece of Harmony Gold propaganda is.

At this point, it it doesn't help finance a new TV show or solve their integrity problems, who cares? It's just another gullible person they'd take advantage of for pennies.

• 7 months later...

At this point, I have to wonder how HG continues to exist- there can't be that many people to sue for trying to sell Macross stuff in the Western Hemisphere to keep them afloat, and they'd have to sell a lot of Plushies to afford their overhead and keep food on the table. I'd guess by now that even most of the die-hard RT fans have become suspicious of HG, or frustrated with them, and that any talk of a live action RT film is to be met with the greatest of skepticism. After all these years, I don't see how they have credibility or viability. Tenacious is  good word.

Sony just needs to hold on till Spiderman comes out. The movie is going to make tons of money.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

At this point, I have to wonder how HG continues to exist- there can't be that many people to sue for trying to sell Macross stuff in the Western Hemisphere to keep them afloat, and they'd have to sell a lot of Plushies to afford their overhead and keep food on the table. I'd guess by now that even most of the die-hard RT fans have become suspicious of HG, or frustrated with them, and that any talk of a live action RT film is to be met with the greatest of skepticism. After all these years, I don't see how they have credibility or viability. Tenacious is  good word.

Harmony Gold is mainly a real estate company. Not to mention that Frank Argama is worth 75 million. They are not hurting for money. They are just super cheap and want to squeeze every cent out of robotech without investing any of their own money into it. 

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Sony just needs to hold on till Spiderman comes out. The movie is going to make tons of money.

Harmony Gold is mainly a real estate company. Not to mention that Frank Argama is worth 75 million. They are not hurting for money. They are just super cheap and want to squeeze every cent out of robotech without investing any of their own money into it. 

Which is why they are in trouble: you have to spend money to make money. If they won't invest their own money into their business, then the business is going to flounder on life support. To put it another way: you can't have your cake and eat it too. And when it concerns "Robotech", they have been super cheap while not allowing anyone else to even come near it. Talk about having a death grip on the golden goose...

5 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Which is why they are in trouble: you have to spend money to make money. If they won't invest their own money into their business, then the business is going to flounder on life support. To put it another way: you can't have your cake and eat it too. And when it concerns "Robotech", they have been super cheap while not allowing anyone else to even come near it. Talk about having a death grip on the golden goose...

No they spend their money in their real estate business, they just won't spend it on robotech. Trust me they are not in trouble as a company. Robotech however is definitely in trouble and has been for decades. It will finally die when their fan base dies off. I doubt they attracting and new fans (could be wrong about this but i'd be surprised if i was).

Edited by Sandman

I actually think robotech has a slight chance of gaining a younger following since streaming sites like Amazon Video and Netflix both air it now. I do hope people start searching the actual shows involved as they learn to appreciate classic anime better 

On 2/3/2017 at 1:17 PM, Sandman said:

No they spend their money in their real estate business, they just won't spend it on robotech. Trust me they are not in trouble as a company. Robotech however is definitely in trouble and has been for decades. It will finally die when their fan base dies off. I doubt they attracting and new fans (could be wrong about this but i'd be surprised if i was).

After the legal trouble they have had in recent years, I doubt they are running their "real estate" side any better: Agrama is not an honest businessman and his record proves it. The only reason Agrama isn't serving jail time for his role in the Mediaset scandal circa 2006 (selling media rights at inflated prices which then went to kickbacks) is because of his age (70+ years old) and Italy wouldn't make him serve actual jail time (BBC News, Oct 26, 2012). There's also a 2011 issue that wrapped up in 2014 finally involving Agrama selling inflated media rights (this time, with money laundering involved) to Mediatrade (a subcompany of Mediaset) and was indicted by a court in Milan (South China Sea Morning Post, June 7 2013). Agrama narrowly dodged that bullet due to the statue of limitations expiring on some of the charges.( July 24, 2014,Variety), and the rest being an "acquittal".

So, with all that in mind, they are in trouble. It's just a question of when the "ghosts of the past" come back to haunt them, and how long they can continue to avoid the consequences. Hasbro already handed them their heads when it cam to the GI Joe/ Transformers crossover"Jetfire" Skystriker toy situation, and they were being nice about it. And when it comes to "spending money", it's not HG"s money they're spending: it's someone else's that they fraudulently obtained by inflating prices(and that's most likely why Frank has 75 million!). If past performance here is any indicator, there's no reason to believe they've changed their methods, especially given the fact that they've been caught in this kind of situation twice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any event (I apologize to the rest of the gang here for derailing the thread), what all of that means is that for the foreseeable future (until HG's practices catch up with them), Robotech is sadly not going much of anywhere. I really hope at some point Macross/ Robotech can take off so newer fans and a new generation of anime fans can appreciate it.

And with that, PB out.

Edited by pengbuzz
spelling, additional info

Interesting and informative post, Pengbuzz. I'll fully admit my ignorance concerning HG; besides Tommy Yune and the late Carl Macek, I'm oblivious of the staff and ownership of the company. I made an incorrect and uninformed assumption concerning how HG made its money; apologies all around.

I hope your prediction concerning HG's future is both prescient and timely. I hope to see its demise in my lifetime, and the Macross franchise become widely available this side of the Pacific. 

8 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Why is everyone talking as if Frank Agrama is still in charge at HG? He's not and hasn't been for a couple of years. His kids have taken over, in particular his daughter Jehan.

It's not like there has been any noticeable difference the last couple years...

On 6/22/2016 at 8:19 PM, UN Spacy said:

What the HELL is this?

Apparently a member of 4chan attended a licensing expo...and this was a flyer at HG's booth.

That's gotta be a fake.

post-31-0-05203100-1466655550_thumb.jpg

lolwhut.jpg

rickhunter.jpg

Edited by Legioss
and yes, Rick Hunter's in it.

^^^LOL

Just picked up Robotech II the Sentinel's role playing game book to remember my junior high days; my original being long gone.  Good times!

Not sure where to post this or if it's already been posted. Just stumbled it via YouTube. Looks like in China. Robotech prototype perhaps for the so-called 'Live' Movie? With that kind of slow-motion transformation, that's already been shot down. ^_^ 

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Not sure where to post this or if it's already been posted. Just stumbled it via YouTube. Looks like in China. Robotech prototype perhaps for the so-called 'Live' Movie? With that kind of slow-motion transformation, that's already been shot down. ^_^ 

I'm sure it's been posted somewhere else. No, it has nothing to do with the movie. Still cool.

5 minutes ago, Big s said:

The Yamato/Arcadia fans are going to complain about partswapping for the heat shield:p

Not necessary since it's loosely based on old Takatoku without the partswapping heat shield. So, it's ok. ;) 

• azrael locked this topic
  • azrael unlocked this topic
  • 3 months later...