Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Lol, are now they acknowledging Kawamori's existence? I thought their plan was to rewrite history and make Carl Macek the creator of everything.

Don't be silly. Macek was a writer, he didn't do mechanical designs. There's no reason not to give a shoutout to the designer of Robotech's most enduring veritech.

Beijing Comic Convention. Kawamori and Tenjin are hosting the Macross panel. Harmony Gold is going to China to host their own panel. In China. A country that never had to deal with RT. A country that would rather produce their own big-budget entertainment than import. They even have a law that prohibits over-saturation of foreign entertainment.

Where is the logic in RT in China?

Beijing Comic Convention. Kawamori and Tenjin are hosting the Macross panel. Harmony Gold is going to China to host their own panel. In China. A country that never had to deal with RT. A country that would rather produce their own big-budget entertainment than import. They even have a law that prohibits over-saturation of foreign entertainment.

It's probably not going to cost them a ton to go and they're probably pretty desperate at this point and taking longshots. Maybe something they say to someone will lead to some sort of business getting done... I mean, I can't even guess what that business might be, but that's gotta be thinking right?

so can i finally get subs on my blu dyrl?

If you don't mind Exedore being called "Brain-man", no problem!

That's what my bootleg Macross 7 subs call him. Thank god I have passable Japanese now. Still need subs, but I can tell when they're way off, which is about 1/2 the time on this particular set.

Guest davidwhangchoi

If you don't mind Exedore being called "Brain-man", no problem!

That's what my bootleg Macross 7 subs call him. Thank god I have passable Japanese now. Still need subs, but I can tell when they're way off, which is about 1/2 the time on this particular set.

:lol:

I assume that Robotech has a respectable fan base in China, because Harmony Gold has been attending Chinese conventions for a long time. I remember seeing photos from one of these conventions and there was a pretty impressive Robotech display area, much larger than anything I've seen in America. Though, it's possible that many of their "fans" are actually SDF Macross fans who don't take umbrage with Robotech.

While I'm glad to see Harmony Gold mentioning Kawamori and Tenjin's names, it's most likely a self-serving manuever to attract more attention to themselves, as evidenced by our discussion of it here. If HG starts promoting Kawamori and co. in shows that they themselves aren't attending, then you can color me impressed.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Though, it's possible that many of their "fans" are actually SDF Macross fans who don't take umbrage with Robotech.

Or have never heard of Robotech.

While I'm glad to see Harmony Gold mentioning Kawamori and Tenjin's names, it's most likely a self-serving manuever to attract more attention to themselves, as evidenced by our discussion of it here. If HG starts promoting Kawamori and co. in shows that they themselves aren't attending, then you can color me impressed.

I would find it hilarious if McKeever was in some way, forced off the panel. But yeah, this is a completely self-serving move for HG. The only reason for HG to be in China is, like everyone else, China is a huge market which would make them more money than in the USA.

In China. A country that never had to deal with RT.

What are you talking about? Robotech was brought to China decades ago. HG has released several Robotech DVD sets and comics there - some which never even got released in the US. China is undoubtly one of HG's most important markets.

Yes, they exist.

https://www.facebook.com/Rtucn-Robotech-Union-at-China-164776660201259/

If South America taught me anything a couple of years ago, all it takes is a group of naive, talented fans with their hearts in the right place and a certain company ready to exploit them or threaten them with legal action to bring a region up to speed what exactly they've been obsessing about all these years.

Hmmmm. So I guess they've yet to experience HG's BS?

It's only trivial Purist fanboy umbrage to someone outside the situation until the lawyers start gunning for them. I thought the last few years made that embarassingly clear in this mess.

Great Lynn Kyle impression, Kevin.

Edited by Einherjar

Seeing Mckeever name on the poster alongside Kawamori and tengin is so wrong.

I love the titles.

"Creator"

"Artist"

"VP of marketing"

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Can you guess which thing is not like the other by the time I- it's the marketing guy that has no creative efforts to show.

Tommy Yune is still with HG after the Kickstarter fiasco, right? Put his butt in the chair. He may've been BAD at creative endeavors, but he at least HAD some.

What does HG even have to tweet about? Shadow Rising still coming out. Stay tuned.

I still suspect that HG is nothing more than a tax write off at this point, in which case the convention stuff is to keep up appearances, but who really knows.

I still suspect that HG is nothing more than a tax write off at this point, in which case the convention stuff is to keep up appearances, but who really knows.

Two things, tax write-off and a means of maintaining rights. If they don't keep up appearances they may lose control of their rights.

Two things, tax write-off and a means of maintaining rights. If they don't keep up appearances they may lose control of their rights.

I see HG as having been on "life support" for years now, with a death-grip on the rights as their last gasp. They really need to stop existing already, jmo.

I think Mike Toole unintentionally made that clear recently.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2016-04-17/.101177

From as far back as 2013, HG has had nothing to do with anime anymore. All the licenses to other anime they had back in the day? Gone, reverted to the original owners, or not worth talking about these days, the only exceptions being the three shows that make up Robotech. The crew was "extremely passionate and serious" for the franchise in 2013, but then I have to think back to what they actually accomplished with that.

So then the question is, who owns HG? Is it wholly owned, or is it publicly traded? If Agama is the sole owner, what happens to the company when he passes? Then once HG is no more, what happens to the ownership, does it revert back to Tatsunoko? Basically, it sounds like HG needs to cease to exist in order for Macross to start officially leaving Japan, and for a live action movie to take place.

Privately held with his children as established officers... meaning no hope in sight.

Not necessarily, if they are don't want to take over and someone makes a good enough offer...

Also could they be more inclined to make a deal with Bandai and Big West then old dad?

So then the question is, who owns HG? Is it wholly owned, or is it publicly traded? If Agama is the sole owner, what happens to the company when he passes? Then once HG is no more, what happens to the ownership, does it revert back to Tatsunoko? Basically, it sounds like HG needs to cease to exist in order for Macross to start officially leaving Japan, and for a live action movie to take place.

His children, Jehan and Ahmed Agrama, have already taken over management of the company. I'm pretty sure that they will take over ownership if Frank passes.

Everyone with a contact with that company is delusional so I harbour no hopes for them ever reaching any kind of agreement. Best hope is being sold outright, license and all to a larger, more competent company that will get something done.