Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

HG "trademarked" the name, they can't copyright it. Their trademarks are weak at best as they have no IP judgements in their favor like BW does.

This will only be news if the words "Green Lit" is reported. The biggest draw to the RT franchise is Macross.. It is the only series that all the RT fans can agree on and HG does not have any rights to produce any new media outside comic books and novels. That Intellectual Property is exclusively owned by Big West.

At this point, the article tells me that WB did not renew their "Option" with HG and Sony picked it up. Without BW on board, the Macross property cannot be used and the only way for Sony to get access to it, is to buy out HG's interest in the property wholesale. Then they would be free to negotiate with BW on the use of the Macross property. Until that happens anything with RT on it will be based upon Southern Cross or Mospeada.

The only viable property between the two available shows is Mospeada, IF it is done right....

Edited by Zinjo

My first reaction to that article was "There's a sucker born every minute." Bravo Sony, bravo.

Here's what I found most interesting. Unlike the old Warner Bros. license, where Harmony Gold had no active involvement with the movie, Frank and Jehan Agrama are now going to be two of the movie's executive producers. It seems the Agramas are no longer content to sit passively on the sidelines, now they want to actively push the project forward. For Sony's sake, hopefully the Agramas will limit their involvement to financing and signing off on formalities. The Agramas are known for their business acumen, not their filmmaking talents.

Hopefully, when Harmony Gold negotiated this new contract with Sony, they remembered to include an exclusionary clause for short, non-profit films. That way, Cesar Turturro's Robotech: Valkyrie Project can finally be released in its entirety. While I personally don't care for RVP, it'd still be nice if its fans finally got some closure.

On a side note, I'm surprised that Warner Bros.' license expired after 8 years. Usually, these types of licenses expire after 5 or 10 year intervals. Unless Warner Bros. decided to cut their losses and put their license up for sale (with Harmony Gold's blessing), rather than let it expire and get nothing in return.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't count on Shoji Kawamori getting involved. Big West and co. bankrolled all of his Macross projects. If Kawamori were to help one of Big West's rivals potentially make millions of dollars, without a single penny going back to Big West, that would considered nothing short of utter betrayal. Anyways, realistically speaking, Sony probably doesn't care as much about Kawamori as we fans do. Sony's targeted audience (not Macross fans) doesn't know who Kawamori is, nor do they care about Japanese mecha aesthetics. So it doesn't make financial sense for Sony to try to lure Kawamori over to their side.

Sony tends to be a whole lot more bloody minded so the fact they actually picked up the rights means that the chances they'd make it is a whole lot higher. Which to be fair, wasn't very high in my opinion in the first place.

Problem is that they may throw together a quick and cheap job as well if it meant they get to keep the licences if need be, if that was part of the contract that is, who knows at the moment.

As a result I rather not think about it too much.

I can't believe people are still raging over the designs. The new designs were done well. What failed the Transformer sequels was the cruddy stories and direction.

This is the same problem Robotech will face as well.

People will never stop raging over the designs. five thousand years from now when everyone involved in the movies are long dead and nobody remembers these movies where ever made; an ancient, cryogenically frozen human head will be thawed out, hooked up to a computer and the first thing it'll do will start screaming about how awful and life ruining the bayformer designs were.

On a side note, I'm surprised that Warner Bros.' license expired after 8 years. Usually, these types of licenses expire after 5 or 10 year intervals. Unless Warner Bros. decided to cut their losses and put their license up for sale (with Harmony Gold's blessing), rather than let it expire and get nothing in return.

Maintaining a trademark registration (older, but easier to understand version)

(Here's the new version)

http://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/trademark-faqs

The owner of the registration must file a §71 Declaration during the following time periods:

First Filing Deadline: File a Declaration of Use (or Excusable Nonuse) on or after the fifth anniversary and no later than the sixth anniversary after the date of registration in the United States, or in the six-month grace period immediately following, with payment of the grace period surcharge.

Subsequent Filing Deadline: File a Declaration of Use (or Excusable Nonuse) within the year preceding the end of each ten-year period after the date of registration in the U.S., or in the six-month grace period immediately following, with payment of the grace period surcharge.

If nothing was filed between the 5th and 6th year, then yes, Maguire Ent. and WB decided to let it go. Which is why Sony has just over 5 years to get something going or the rights are going back on the market.

Sony Pictures Entertainment being owned by a Japanese company won't affect anything. Other than being a subsidiary, they're unrelated. For example when they got hacked, the Japanese media hardly reported anything about it because it's not their Sony. Aniplex is owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan. Sony name but totally different people.

People will never stop raging over the designs. five thousand years from now when everyone involved in the movies are long dead and nobody remembers these movies where ever made; an ancient, cryogenically frozen human head will be thawed out, hooked up to a computer and the first thing it'll do will start screaming about how awful and life ruining the bayformer designs were.

Micheal Bay's Transformers raped my childhood, destroyed my life, and then, when I had nothing left to give, they decapitated my body!

Maintaining a trademark registration (older, but easier to understand version)

(Here's the new version)

http://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/trademark-faqs

If nothing was filed between the 5th and 6th year, then yes, Maguire Ent. and WB decided to let it go. Which is why Sony has just over 5 years to get something going or the rights are going back on the market.

I don't think those sections you referenced are applicable here. Those sections concern deadlines for trademarks that have already been registered. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't find any evidence that Warner Bros. nor Maguire Entertainment ever filed a trademark registration in the first place, so those deadlines wouldn't apply to them.

Yep - as he should . . .

My first reaction to that article was "There's a sucker born every minute." Bravo Sony, bravo.

Here's what I found most interesting. Unlike the old Warner Bros. license, where Harmony Gold had no active involvement with the movie, Frank and Jehan Agrama are now going to be two of the movie's executive producers. It seems the Agramas are no longer content to sit passively on the sidelines, now they want to actively push the project forward. For Sony's sake, hopefully the Agramas will limit their involvement to financing and signing off on formalities. The Agramas are known for their business acumen, not their filmmaking talents.

Hopefully, when Harmony Gold negotiated this new contract with Sony, they remembered to include an exclusionary clause for short, non-profit films. That way, Cesar Turturro's Robotech: Valkyrie Project can finally be released in its entirety. While I personally don't care for RVP, it'd still be nice if its fans finally got some closure.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't count on Shoji Kawamori getting involved. Big West and co. bankrolled all of his Macross projects. If Kawamori were to help one of Big West's rivals potentially make millions of dollars, without a single penny going back to Big West, that would considered nothing short of utter betrayal. Anyways, realistically speaking, Sony probably doesn't care as much about Kawamori as we fans do. Sony's targeted audience (not Macross fans) doesn't know who Kawamori is, nor do they care about Japanese mecha aesthetics. So it doesn't make financial sense for Sony to try to lure Kawamori over to their side.

I really didn't think Kawamori would (or even should) get involve in Sony's project but if we play the game of "What If" I don't see Big West telling him to go kick rocks if he decided to act like a mercenary. BW did do a Macross without his involvement and it was a utter failure.

I'd be happy if Sony could grab a few Japanese designers for a new take on the mechanical designs..

Without much passion from me about this moving on into reality, the only plausible option I see for HG/Sony for an RT LAM is to go with the Mospeada designs and a sort of hinted Macross Saga-esque story.

The Legioss/Alpha design is pretty much already an F-15 conversion of the F-14-inspired VF-1. The Legioss can be somewhat updated to an YF-23 or even PAK-FA look-a-like.

That should be enough to break the tight Macross/Robotech association based on the common use of the VF-1 by HG in almost everything, except for the little "new" things they've came up with.

I don't think those sections you referenced are applicable here. Those sections concern deadlines for trademarks that have already been registered. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't find any evidence that Warner Bros. nor Maguire Entertainment ever filed a trademark registration in the first place, so those deadlines wouldn't apply to them.

Ah, my mistake. WB copyrighted a few things with HG.

Besides a studio change, none of this sounds any different from when WB doing it. The new one is coincidentially a branch of a Japanese corporation and that alone gives a renewed sense of hope that it will be done "right" or ongoing, crippling legalities will finally to be "solved?"

Personally, I believe the flop of the Wachowski's big budget "Jupiter Ascending" is partially why WB let go of the rights w/out renewal.

Big budget sfx action like that & 'Pacific Rim' didn't convince them of the staying power associated with the franchise…
Not least of which the HG/BW legacy issues, developement hell and no one like DelToro to run things[..his personal TLC being the only reason 'Pac. Rim.' was moderately successful, as an unknown property..]

I think their experience with "Jup. Ascend." was a 'bad after-taste' deal breaker for something unlikely to match or exceed "Pac. Rim" in $$$ returns.

When I first saw the news announcement on their page I got all excited because I thought it said they sold it to Sony.

Not that Sony is especially known for making intelligent decisions, whether they involve movies or no.

This'll still be stuck in development hell forever, where it deserves to be. But for the sake of discussion, let's say this has any chance at all of existing. They COULD ride in with Mospeada, theoretically, but Macross is the only part of Robotech anyone cares about at all if we're being honest so that's the part that they'd want to "adapt".

Even ignoring the legal quagmire that is Macross outside of Japan, we should all know by now that it will be *painfully* Hollywood-ized, and I would be shocked if the mechanical designs were anything above "utterly disgusting".

This is more amusing than anything to me. I can't fathom why in the world Sony would waste any money on this (barring the simple "poor decisions" explanation). A long-irrelevant butchering of a 1982 animated series' film rights which have been stuck in development hell for years: something worth picking up, apparently.

Edited by RyuRoots

Why Sony wants it: They don't have rights to Transformers.

This will certainly be different enough to avoid the Macross legal issues. Even if there were no issues, it would be different enough to avoid them.

I don't think they'll even go to space.

My hypothetical outline:

Aliens invade Earth.

Humans steal alien technology, reverse-engineer it.

Robot jets that don't look like they should fly kill all the aliens.

A single token alien defects to the humans so they can pretend they didn't totally ignore the original.

Hmm... actually, adapting MOSPEADA would be GREAT for Hollywood.

Edited by JB0

Hmm, right, MOSPEADA looks more fit as entry point to Hollywood, Transforming bike into armored hero... Sony's ironman? Along with transforming jets that can be their transformers... maybe they can just get all elements to mix and match.

If that can make it hit enough, they may finally go into space just like the avengers finale to face Thanos in space? Macross space battle sounds like some huge budget storyline.

Edited by CRYO

Than southern cross will be added as their storm troppers along with the beast.....

That'd be awesome. And if they don't include hovertanks, they missed out.

But I don't think they'll actively be trying to adapt MOSPEADA, I think they'll THINK they're adapting Macross and accidentally turn it into MOSPEADA somehow.

Don't these people do the most basic of research before buying movie rights? Robotech simply wasn't that popular, does it even have a robot chicken bit yet? Then there's the gigantic publicity train wreck and lack of interest that was the kickstarter and to top it all off they can't even use the parts of robotech that people want to see. Unbelievable.

For a long time i have thought that Mospeada has a pretty logical set up for a trilogy.

First movie starts with a bang, character and story into thru the Mars assault force, protagonist winds up on a journey with more character intros, ends with a bang acquiring protoculture fuel, new alpha and a victory for the hero's.

2nd movie more journey, more backstory and development of the Invid, enter Marlene and love interest, end in a logical place like Denver or New York.

3rd movie, moving towards final objective, resolve all the love interests, ends in big victory for the hero's.

It's not to unlike, structurally anyway, Star Wars.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a Mospeada movie, they're going to want to start at the beginning of the story, not the 3rd part, and they're going to want ti do Macross story elements that they don't own.

This movie has clusterfrakk written all over it.

I don't thonk they want to do Macross, is the thing. Thry want to do their own thing, then slap the brand on it to get some more sales. Mospeada is just more like Hollywood than Macross. The similarities will be coincidentaL.