Complete agreement here. It's not only reasonable given the current facts, but there are very few alternate explanations that make any kind of literary sense. Those alternatives would also hinge on some kind of bombshell revelation dropping on us, which would easily alienate fans like the PT did. Obi-Wan having a secret grandchild, Ren having a mystery sister that Han or Leia didn't know about, etc all hinge on some pretty shocking out-of-character actions on the parts of OT icons that would amount to heresy among fans.

Given that some of the more popular elements from the old EU have already been pulled into the new canon, Rey being the Skywalker scion makes the most sense. There are also way too many personalized hints in Rey's Force visions, that would have been much more general if she was being narratively portrayed as an outsider. If she wasn't related to someone to-be-revealed, there would be no "waiting for her family" element written for the character.

BTW, the end up the script says much: Luke knows who Rey is and why she is there. You guys did read that link, right? :p

The script describes Luke Skywalker as being older now, with white hair and a beard. It says that he looks at Rey with a kindness in his eyes, but theres something tortured, too. Most interestingly, it says that Luke doesnt need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here. Does this mean that he knows Rey is his child? Or does this mean that he knows because of the Force? The script only adds that his look says it all.

Edited by Duke Togo

BTW, the end up the script says much: Luke knows who Rey is and why she is there. You guys did read that link, right? :p

The script describes Luke Skywalker as being older now, with white hair and a beard. It says that he looks at Rey with a kindness in his eyes, but theres something tortured, too. Most interestingly, it says that Luke doesnt need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here. Does this mean that he knows Rey is his child? Or does this mean that he knows because of the Force? The script only adds that his look says it all.

I always saw it as "Oh god, FINALLY I have someone to talk too who isn't tinted blue and partially see thru!"

But I'd say he had a pretty good idea of what's been going on around him using the force much like how Yoda was able to feel his companions being slaughtered by the Clones in RotS.

FYI Rey's heritage is spoiled in Disney infinity

No, it isn't. Someone misinterpreted what they heard. He clearly says "curses" in the video, not "cousin."

Kylo Ren: "Face me!" (Rey destroys barrel he has thrown at her) "Curses!"

They run together because of the timing in the battle. But he's definitely says curses.

Edited by Duke Togo

I always saw it as "Oh god, FINALLY I have someone to talk too who isn't tinted blue and partially see thru!"

But I'd say he had a pretty good idea of what's been going on around him using the force much like how Yoda was able to feel his companions being slaughtered by the Clones in RotS.

Yoda watched Luke for years through the Force; I would wager Luke has been watching Rey.

Is it possible Kylo was the one who dumped Rey on Jakku? It just doesn't sit right with me that Luke would dump her on a desert planet in the care of a sleazy junk dealer. I can see Kylo doing it if he couldn't bring himself to kill her when he destroyed Luke's order as he's still being tortured by the call of the light side. He might have left her there on the way back to the first order expecting her not to last which would clear his conscience as he wouldn't be the one to kill her.

Remember that scene where he throws a temper tantrum and destroys the monitors on hearing that Finn escaped Jakku? There's something about his reaction to the officer when he mentions that a woman aided Finn. If he was still raging it seems more likely he would have just killed the officer outright for annoying him. Instead he force chokes the officer to him demanding to know more about her. For all he knows at this point Rey is just some dirty scavenger so why should he care about her unless he has a reason to?

i took his tantrums as looking incompetent under the eyes of snoke that he can't accomplish anything while he's trying so hard to prove himself.

Also I think the biggest lead to being related to luke is that first or second trailer when it's narrated " The force is strong with my family...yada yada" they didn't repeat that advertising after it's initial run.

Edited by Negotiator

Is it possible Kylo was the one who dumped Rey on Jakku? It just doesn't sit right with me that Luke would dump her on a desert planet in the care of a sleazy junk dealer. I can see Kylo doing it if he couldn't bring himself to kill her when he destroyed Luke's order as he's still being tortured by the call of the light side. He might have left her there on the way back to the first order expecting her not to last which would clear his conscience as he wouldn't be the one to kill her.

Remember that scene where he throws a temper tantrum and destroys the monitors on hearing that Finn escaped Jakku? There's something about his reaction to the officer when he mentions that a woman aided Finn. If he was still raging it seems more likely he would have just killed the officer outright for annoying him. Instead he force chokes the officer to him demanding to know more about her. For all he knows at this point Rey is just some dirty scavenger so why should he care about her unless he has a reason to?

I'm thinking more along the lines of Mylo/Ben forced himself on someone, and the mother got rid of the unwanted child. But I also like the female Anakin clone purposely placed there by someone theory too.

The mother of Rey is the key here, I think Rey was born in the resistance. Leia probably sent her mother if she was Lukes wife, away when they heard of Ben destroying it.

Or maybe Luke didnt know he had a kid and the mother was killed and Rey found him again and Luke could tell in the force that she is his daughter,which is why the saber calls to her,Skywalker music when she reaches out and the look on Lukes face of surprise and anguish.

Anything is possible,I love the speculation though. Episode VIII cant come fast enough.

The mother of Rey is the key here, I think Rey was born in the resistance. Leia probably sent her mother if she was Lukes wife, away when they heard of Ben destroying it.

Or maybe Luke didnt know he had a kid and the mother was killed and Rey found him again and Luke could tell in the force that she is his daughter,which is why the saber calls to her,Skywalker music when she reaches out and the look on Lukes face of surprise and anguish.

This thought I could go with. Snoke would have gone after Rey if he knew she was the more powerful of the 2. But since Ben was the only known Skywalker-decendent, he corrupted Ben. I'm inclined to believe Luke never knew he had a child till she showed up with his lightsaber.

This thought I could go with. Snoke would have gone after Rey if he knew she was the more powerful of the 2. But since Ben was the only known Skywalker-decendent, he corrupted Ben. I'm inclined to believe Luke never knew he had a child till she showed up with his lightsaber.

That is my feeling as well, most people seem to keep forgetting about the mother. I believe that was her leaving Rey on Jakku. Maybe she was from there and the Junk dealer owed her. So he watched Rey, "temporarily", as the mother intended to come back to get Rey, hence the I'll come back. I think this is the time period that Ben was betraying the new Jedi and Rey's mom was going to help Luke and the Jedi and she was killed. Luke may not have known about her at all as the Mother may have left the Jedi academy before she even knew about her pregnancy herself. Like was said, maybe she was with the resistance so Leia and Han and probably Ben knew about Rey but no one told Luke as they didn't want to burden him with the knowledge, as per the Mother's request, since he had enough on his plate with training new Jedi and Snoke also being in the picture. Remember Leia and Han know who Snoke is also, so he was a known player at this point. After her death and Luke's disappearance, they couldn't find him to tell him he had a daughter somewhere. I think the loss of his students the fall of his Nephew and the death of his love would add a lot of layers onto his self imposed exile. Much better than just being a lousy dad that dumped his kid in a wasteland indefinitely.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I'm thinking more along the lines of Mylo/Ben forced himself on someone, and the mother got rid of the unwanted child. But I also like the female Anakin clone purposely placed there by someone theory too.

Keith, HE WAS 11 WHEN SHE WAS BORN.

No, it isn't. Someone misinterpreted what they heard. He clearly says "curses" in the video, not "cousin."

Kylo Ren: "Face me!" (Rey destroys barrel he has thrown at her) "Curses!"

They run together because of the timing in the battle. But he's definitely says curses.

Thanks for the correction on that, the video I saw was convincing.

All I know is you see her in her dream/vision crying at 5 or 6 on a desert planet and a ship is flying away. To be honest I don't want some plot twist. I'd rather her just be Luke's daughter

We don't even know how accurate that memory is. Was she really left with the junk dealer? Is that really how it played out? I'm sure we'll learn more in 8.

Something else to keep in mind: I've read that in the novelization it's stated that when Kylo takes his mask off in front of Han it's the first time Han has seen his son as an adult. If everything went to hell when Ben was in his mid teens, Rey being spirited away at the age of 6 works out perfectly.

This is Star Wars we are talking about, no need to go too deep. Ren is almost certainly related to Luke (or Vader) in some way shape or form.

Yes because he is Leia's son, therefor a skywalker relative. Also, are we missing the easy hints? Rey lost her mother, and Luke lost his mother, as Anakin lost his mother.

Who the mother is, or where she is, is the bigger question. If the mother was another well trained force user, it would explain Rey's hyper force sensitivity. Either way, Kylo is part skywalker, Rey is part skywalker.. Rey's Force powers have awakened.. its pretty much literal in it's simplisticness.

I know there has been talk about cut scenes from the movie that we saw glimpses of in the trailers but 2 shots that were missing that I haven't noticed anyone mention that I REALLY wanted to see where:

1) The BEAUTIFUL/AMAZING shot of the Falcon going into hyperspace from the first full trailer. That could have and, IMO, should have been in the movie. I wonder why it was cut?

2) this one isn't a biggie but I really wanted it and felt the in movie scene was slightly lacking....the first teasers X-wing shot. That shot really made the X-Wings look like they where really charging in FAST and seemed powerful to me.....similar to the awesome scene in The Final Countdown when the F-14's buzz the yacht and later come charging back to save the survivors. Where as in the movie I just didn't get the same feeling. The shot seemed kind of sluggish of Poe's X-wing slowly rolling left and the other X-wing's then slowly flying past the camera. I was just really hoping to see a shot of the good guys hauling ass in to save the day, showing the First Order was going to receive some pay back.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I know people are leaning towards Rey being Luke's daughter because she's so strong in the force and he's so strong in the force like his father before him. Remember that Leia is Luke's twin. Her father was also the chosen one. She had the potential to be just as strong as Luke. If Luke was turned or died at the end of Episode V Obi-wan and Yoda would have look at Leia next to save the day. Leia is no Jedi because she went on a different path. She is still potential very strong in the force and was able to pass it on at least once. Either Luke or Leia could be Rey's parent.

Is anyone really interested in seeing a Junior Han Solo movie now that you know how he dies? He met a Chewbacca and became smuggler is it important to see how that happens? At last with Vader's story there was a big mystery behind why he was in the suit and what made him turn to the dark side. I don't see a big mystery behind Solo's past that needs to be answered.

Is anyone really interested in seeing a Junior Han Solo movie now that you know how he dies? He met a Chewbacca and became smuggler is it important to see how that happens? At last with Vader's story there was a big mystery behind why he was in the suit and what made him turn to the dark side. I don't see a big mystery behind Solo's past that needs to be answered.

But that's what the fanboys want. They have to know cradle-to-grave details.

But that's what the fanboys want. They have to know cradle-to-grave details.

It's not a origin story. We won't see him as a kid. It's Han Solo in the 20s. And it's written by Lawrence Kasdan and his son, which is all I have to know.

Is that your assumption based on tge actors ages?

No. Wookieepedia. It's also what I've seen widely quoted in articles about the movie.

Edit: source is the Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary. It's official

Edited by Duke Togo

Either Luke or Leia could be Rey's parent.

Or both. :)

I saw it the week after it came out. Liked it more than I expected, but less than I'd hoped. I made the comment on another forum that while it's miles above the prequels, being miles above the Mariana Trench is still only sea level. It's a perfectly serviceable movie, buoyed I think by the fandom's collective desire for it to be good. I thought the lightsaber handling was a step down from the original trilogy, and even from the prequels. Not the fighting and choreography, but the FEEL of the lightsabers. I think part of it may have to do with how they managed to nick each other with their blades and there would be pieces of burnt flesh/clothing sparking off. In 1-6 the impression I always got was that lightsabers were so sharp/hot/what-have-you that they would just cut a clean hole straight through you.

Also, lots and lots and lots of protracted shots of people's faces. So many shots of the new Force users cringing and making faces at each other. It got kind of silly by movie's end. That final shot with the lightsaber held out was also sustained for like ten seconds too long. I half-expected Rey to just give up and shout out "HEY DO YOU WANT IT OR NOT OLD-TIMER!?".

To my mind all the evidence in The Force Awakens points to Rey being Luke's daughter.

As has been said by Dio (and I think wisely so) anything else (of the hypotheses we have seen) would involve a such a major plot twist that the results would be completely out of character for those involved.

And I don't understand where all of "I can't believe Luke would just leave her on Jakku" is coming from.

Is it that hard to consider that when Ben went off the rails he slaughtered not only Luke's students, but also his wife.

He and Snoke both knew of Rey's existence and in order to keep her safe (and do the thing he had to do - Mcguffin) Luke had to not only leave her with someone else, he also had to completely erase any memory of her heritage and family, or risk Snoke/Kylo discovering her.

This is why we get this film - REY'S AWAKENING. She didn't just get left behind on Jakku someone (Hello It Had to be LUKE) used the Force to obliterate her identity.

Remember she doesn't know about the Jedi being real. In this film it seems like she is the only one - that didn't strike anyone as odd? I'd even wager that 'Church of the Force Guy' from the beginning of the film was even put there by Luke to keep her from getting curious about the Force and ensuring that she would think it was all just superstition or stories.

Leaving her on Jakku may seem like a Jerk move, until the plot reveals that it was the best option for keeping her alive and safe.

Edited by Chas

It's not a origin story. We won't see him as a kid. It's Han Solo in the 20s. And it's written by Lawrence Kasdan and his son, which is all I have to know.

If we're learning how Han became a smuggler, then it's an origin story. Just as much as the prequels are Anakin's origin and the OT are Luke's origin. It doesn't matter who is writing it.

I finally saw it, great movie but not without flaws. Definitely had the rehash vibe but overall easily superior to the prequels. There were a few very convenient moments but you could easily justify that being by design and just not spelled out. I also feel like some complaints are that there was too much that wasn't spelled out, like political, economic stuff, but i think you could easily argue that those were exactly the kind of weeds Lucas was too focused on.

Poe was the standout right off the bat. I liked Kylo though making him such a Vader fan certainly leads to that derivative feel. One good way to reboot the universe is to blow it up i suppose.

Also, I'm sure I'll watch them but movies about Boba and Han seem like wastes to me, like saying all Stars Wars films still need to focus on the Skywalkers, it's a big sandbox, at some point it's okay to grab a different toy.

That reminds me: I ended up being about... 10 minutes late to my showing thanks to some tardy friends. I came in at the point of Rey on Jakku (I thought it was Tatooine for about the first half of the movie) getting the half-portion for her scraps. Can someone fill me in on what happened beforehand? I know there's something about Force-suspending a laser bolt in midair...?

Yeah, I think the first I saw of him he was breaking whats-his-face out of prison. I thought the summary he gave later in the movie was all we'd get, but apparently I am indeed missing out on quite a bit. Well, it's enough of a reason to go see it again, I think.

Yeah, I think the first I saw of him he was breaking whats-his-face out of prison. I thought the summary he gave later in the movie was all we'd get, but apparently I am indeed missing out on quite a bit. Well, it's enough of a reason to go see it again, I think.

Indeed. One of the highlights of the beginning is the new reiteration of that first shot of a Star Wars movie. You know, blockade runner followed by giant wedge shaped ship coming overhead from SW4. I found the one at the start of SW7 able to recapture some of that epic-ness, while still providing a new interpretation of it.

Yeah, you also missed about half of whats-his-face's screen time (and best line), and his not-black X-Wing.