Isn't it odd that all the machines have a newer look but the Tie Fighters stayed the same? One explanation I came up would be that the Imperials now are rebels and fight against the republic so they don't have the means to invest in upgrades If this is true why have to Stormtroopers new armor?

Isn't it odd that all the machines have a newer look but the Tie Fighters stayed the same? One explanation I came up would be that the Imperials now are rebels and fight against the republic so they don't have the means to invest in upgrades If this is true why have to Stormtroopers new armor?

Because armor is cheaper to design and manufacture than space fighters. Easy answer.

10633590_10205367455415752_1310545452386

Small detail but a cool one. New rectangular radar/deflector dish on the Falcon to replace the round one that was knocked off inside the Death Star in ROTJ. Never liked the round one, this new one fits in with the ships symmetry better. Cool!!

Edited by taksraven

Because armor is cheaper to design and manufacture than space fighters. Easy answer.

Or maybe the dudes in white armor aren't Stormtroopers but Republic soldiers. :D

*snip*

Small detail but a cool one. New rectangular radar/deflector dish on the Falcon to replace the round one that was knocked off inside the Death Star in ROTJ. Never liked the round one, this new one fits in with the ships symmetry better. Cool!!

Nice catch. I hope Lego does a UCS set of this design. :)

Edited by Scyla

This made my day...I figured I wouldn't be the first person to post about it […although I may have if I had been on my computer yesterday…]

Glad to know it just may prove JJ has some 'Macross' in is blood.

SW-EP-VII-has-Macross-DYRL%20copy.jpg
Edited by Vespaeda

In the leaked concept art (which I couldn't resist) the tie fighters do look upgraded. More robust with bigger engines.

I'm torn on the ball droid. It looks pretty doofy. OTOH, the ball is much better suited to the sand than R2's wheels. We'll have to see more.

I probably would've been more excited if I hadn't already known about the X2's, the falcon & the new troopers, though.

Watching the teaser again today I became consciously aware of something I only saw subconsciously the first time I watched the teaser yesterday: the flight of the Millenium Falcon. One of the things that really registered with me about the teaser was that fantastic flight sequence at the end. On a repeat look today I can see now why I liked it so much: they really nailed the sense of motion and inertia of the Millenium Falcon in flight from the original trilogy. The way the camera would often dip and pitch to enhance the climb or dive visuals of the Falcon. The way the Falcon often spins and flips during maneuvers. Just the overall wonderous "ride" you feel as an audience watching the Falcon soar through the air. It's so much like the original trilogy but enhanced by the new technology. So yeah, that really worked well :)

Edited by Mr March

:lol:

That was basically me while watching the trailer! Lol!

Chris

As much as I didn't want to get hyped, I did, and my reaction was in a similar fashion.

"Well, with a black guy being the first person we see, I guess we're making some leaps here with movies"

Don't know about a leap, but it sure was a bold, badass and looooooong overdue surprise to see a guy like Boyega opening one of the biggest franchise films of all time. Bravo! :)

Right!

One thing that stood out to me was the design aesthetic. J.J. very much carried this over from Star Trek with the "tech" having a lot of detail and worn-in feel. And that aesthetic fits much better with Star Wars - I can't wait to see more of the Falcon, X-Wings, Tie Fighter and close up details of the characters and their gear.

-b.

Something that really struck me about this trailer is that it got rid of the "unnatural depth of field" effect that was so jarring about the prequel cinematography, and looks much more believable. The human eye does not see everything in focus at near and far distances simultaneously, and that really hurt my suspension of disbelief with the CG background effects in Eps I-III. This teaser honestly has me excited for the new direction of the franchise.

I was hoping there will be more variants of the X-wing fighters in this fresh reboot. They should have something like super pack X-wings with additional external weapons (missiles and/or gunpods) that can be jettisoned.

But it would be cool to have dogfights between X-wings and TIE fighters in new perspectives, like Macross Zero style.

I'm a little disappointed in the Falcon sequence - it really looked CG - what happened to filming miniatures again for this one?!

Yeah I thought it looked fake too, cheap even.

I really want to see B-wings. They should be commonplace, or upgraded like the X-wing, by that point. They really got shafted, screen-time-wise, in ROTJ.

A-wings. They're where it's at ;)

Y-Wings. Y settle for anything less?

They're all fugly.