Looks like the Avengers pretty much changed cinema.

You're going to see IP's that try to create ongoing "universes" where characters rotate in and out and they build stories.

I'm all for it. I just hope they keep up the quality.

read a headliner that the movie could be pushed back a bit to let Harrison Ford recover as it'll take longer for rehab than initially believed. Any confirmations?

They do not want to miss that Holiday release date, if they do it will be news everywhere.

Love Rian Johnson and he's kind of a film/internet geek mascot, so it's great to see a guy I've followed for so long doing so well. From Brick to Breaking Bad to Looper, he's easily one of my favorite directors currently working. I'd probably prefer Johnson doing the Star Wars films over Abrams.

I will say this; I've said several times that Star Wars - to a viewer like me - cannot rely upon nostalgia or brand recognition anymore because I have been ruined by the lousy prequels. So it's my feeling this first new Star Wars VII film from Abrams has to be a great film, otherwise I won't see another. But I have to say that even if this first new episode is kind average, I'd seriously consider coming back to the series to see if Rian can pull off something far more interesting with VIII and IX.

Love Rian Johnson and he's kind of a film/internet geek mascot, so it's great to see a guy I've followed for so long doing so well. From Brick to Breaking Bad to Looper, he's easily one of my favorite directors currently working. I'd probably prefer Johnson doing the Star Wars films over Abrams.

I will say this; I've said several times that Star Wars - to a viewer like me - cannot rely upon nostalgia or brand recognition anymore because I have been ruined by the lousy prequels. So it's my feeling this first new Star Wars VII film from Abrams has to be a great film, otherwise I won't see another. But I have to say that even if this first new episode is kind average, I'd seriously consider coming back to the series to see if Rian can pull off something far more interesting with VIII and IX.

You never know....perhaps once again the "middle one" will be regarded as the best.... :unsure:

SW_-_Empire_Strikes_Back.jpg

You never know....perhaps once again the "middle one" will be regarded as the best.... :unsure:

I want them all to be good. But if Johnson's 2nd film (and his script for the third) are the better of the three, well that's okay too :)

I know I'm kinda alone on this around here, but I didn't think Looper was good at all.

This being MW, I seriously doubt you're alone :)

But seriously, no big deal. Personally, I have much more faith in Johnson's ability to make a good Star Wars film than Abrams. I just wish Johnson was going first instead of Abrams, so if he messed up I wouldn't have to give this series a second chance. I just have no patience for these trilogies or franchises anymore, like Pirates, Transformers, Matrix, etc. I'm long past the age where I keep watching in vain, desparately hoping the films will improve with sequels. First sign of decline, I'm out.

I just hope we get good Abrams this first time at the helm and not bad Abrams.

I liked Looper but - it was not Star Wars like in any way. One good thing about the ST films JJ directed is that he put a bit of SW into ST. Hopefully the director of Looper can switch to the more banter driven dialog and pace of Star Wars.

Cruise may be a bit odd, but he does play a pretty good antagonist. I think he did a good job as Lestat in Interview and as Frank Mackey in Magnolia. I prefer him in those roles than the bland protagonists he always plays. I have to admit I liked Edge of Tomorrow though. There's definitely a darker side to that dude for sure.

Edited by Guvava