Late casting happens more often than you'd think. Hollywood's marketing machine and your DVD/Blu-Ray special features do a great job of presenting the studio system as a well-oiled machine where everyone plays happily with each other to make magic happen on screen. The truth is far uglier, always on the edge of disaster and plenty is left to the last minute. Duke is right, major casting can happen not only late, but can happen while principle photography is ongoing. To be honest, given the scrutiny this picture is under, the time table set and the noteriety of all involved, the casting for this has gone remarkably smooth given what we know from the outside.

What ever happened to the original Millenium Falcon set? Did they destroy it or was it kept in storage? What about all those fighters like the X-wings etc? It would have been a shame if they were just dismantled and destroyed.

I'm not so certain that's an X-wing as much as its a late model Z-95 Headhunter.

As for the Falcon props, to the best of my knowledge there was never a full 1/1 scale prop of the Falcon made like what is seen in those photos only just small sections and matte paintings. I do know a couple of 1/1 X-wings were made, and at least one got auctioned off for charity.

I'm pretty sure they went back to McQuarrie's Concept X-Wing

The McQuarrie concept IS the Z-95 Headhunter.... or at least one of its many variants. A young Wedge uses it in one of the X-wing comics to avenge his parent's death. As for what's seen in the photo's I'm pretty sure this is it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Z-95t_Headhunter

To be honest now that I think about it, it may as well be a new X-wing type given the jettison of the EU. :)

Why?

No matter how I try, I can not get hyped about a new Star Wars film. Wait, let me regroup...I can not get hyped about a new Star Wars film that re-visits the original trilogy. To me that stuff is sacred ground, and I don't think anybody (not even old George Lucas himself) can do anything with it. It ended with Return of the Jedi. Please leave it alone. Seeing the new models being built and the new sets, is giving me that old school 1977-1984 vibe I had when I was a kid, and yet there is this little voice telling me: "It's not going to be anywhere as good as the original, they're only going to screw this up..big time! <_<

I find your lack of faith disturbing. That said, perhaps it's time for you to put Star Wars behind you. You don't have to emotionally invest yourself outside of anything but the originally trilogy if you choose not to. I sure as hell don't watch the prequels.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. That said, perhaps it's time for you to put Star Wars behind you. You don't have to emotionally invest yourself outside of anything but the originally trilogy if you choose not to. I sure as hell don't watch the prequels.

I know and that the weird part of it, all these movies and shows that are being labeled STAR WARS, and yet none of them "feel" like Star Wars. I don't know, maybe it's just age! ^_^

Edited by aerocombatpilot

I say BRAVO JJ Abrams! Good casting, and actual SETS being built. I looked through all the pics on tmz and some of the creatures look to be really being built. I think this is going to be something special. He knows he can't please everyone obviously, but it looks as though he he is going old school, using CGI sparingly, as a tool and not a crutch, shooting on film, and not doing 3D. That alone will get me to spend my money and be there on opening day.

Edited by derex3592

I know and that the weird part of it, all these movies and shows that are being labeled STAR WARS, and yet none of them "feel" like Star Wars. I don't know, maybe it's just age! ^_^

I disagree. I think these set photos, so far, feel a LOT more like the original trilogy then anything else Star Wars the last thirty years. I don't know if they'll be any good but I'm willing to give them a chance.

Abrams has already said the lens flare is getting a serious tone-down for this film. And probably all of his future works by the sound of it. He realized it got a bit silly.

Well that does it, this movie will suck. :p

-b.

No matter how I try, I can not get hyped about a new Star Wars film. Wait, let me regroup...I can not get hyped about a new Star Wars film that re-visits the original trilogy. To me that stuff is sacred ground, and I don't think anybody (not even old George Lucas himself) can do anything with it. It ended with Return of the Jedi. Please leave it alone. Seeing the new models being built and the new sets, is giving me that old school 1977-1984 vibe I had when I was a kid, and yet there is this little voice telling me: "It's not going to be anywhere as good as the original, they're only going to screw this up..big time! <_<

I hear you man, especially since the original trilogy had all of our favourite characters frozen in time, ageless, alive and well. Ep 7, 8, and 9 will have them older, vulnerable and quite possibly dead or killed off. We see the Falcon, being rebuilt in all her glory, but we don't want to see her smashed into a million pieces.

The prequel trilogy dealt with familiar names that we heard for the first time in the cannonical films of ep 4,5, and 6 (Anikin, Obi Wan, and Papaltine). Whatever happened after is up in the air and left to the ponderings of comic books, novels, and whatever was in George Lucas's screwed up mind.

The prequel trilogy left a lot of us with a bad taste in our mouths, and it's hard to be optimistic about it. I'll still go see them in theatres, but I too am not all that hyped as I was when the teaser for Episode 1 first came out. Maybe it's because I was so let down with the prequel that I don't have high hopes for this lot, but who knows, maybe that will change when the first teaser comes out.

Wouldn't it be cool if they abandon all CGI and went back to model ships flying through space fighting? You could add special effects in post but the ships themselves should be built for real. :D

This would be a great addition to the puppet creature shown in the images.

Edited by Scyla

Josh Trank Will Direct A ‘Star Wars’ Standalone Movie

Chronicle was quite good. They're putting together an interesting team for these movies.

Another Star Wars director has been revealed. Josh Trank, the director of Chronicle and the now-filming Fantastic Four, has signed to direct a Star Wars standalone film. Read the press release below.

Here’s the press release via Star Wars.com:

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney continue development of multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. The newest director to come on board is Josh Trank.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Josh into the family,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.”

Trank states, “The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time.”

Trank captured imaginations worldwide with his critically lauded directorial debut Chronicle, a fresh and engaging take on the superhero genre. Trank is currently at work on The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox.

With Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta doing the still mystery 2016 Star Wars standalone film, it seems pretty likely – but still unconfirmed – Trank’s film would be released in 2018, the year after Star Wars Episode VIII hits theaters. Timing wise, that also makes sense as Edwards recently completed a project and Trank is now filming his second, the massive 2015 release Fantastic Four. It also all but confirms he’s done with Marvel and Fox after completing that movie.

The fact the press release doesn’t mention a writer could suggest this is one of the films Simon Kinberg or Lawrence Kasdan had been writing. But that’s purely speculative. (Of note though, Kinberg wrote Fantastic Four so Trank and he collaborating again makes sense.) What we do know is Trank is a long time Star Wars fan. His first short film was called Stabbing at Leia’s 22nd Birthday before he did Chronicle.

Big, big news. What do you think of Trank joining the Star Wars family? And, with a director now slotted for 2018, do you think it locks Abrams for Episode VIII?
Edited by Duke Togo

Josh Trank Will Direct A ‘Star Wars’ Standalone Movie

Chronicle was quite good. They're putting together an interesting team for these movies.

Agree, all jokes about lens flare aside I think Disney is going to do very well for Star Wars and the talent they're putting behind the films makes me very optimistic.

-b.