I say ATAT and call the other one a scout walker. When someone tries to "correct" me I simply say "yeah, just like I said atat..."

Same thing with the word Genre (which I pronounce jen-your). If I were in France I would pronounce it more like john-rah.

I know it's canonically correct to say A-T A-T, but I just can't do it. It was weird when Rex said it in Rebels.

I have no problem saying "atat"and "AT-ST" in the same sentence. Wait, how did we end up in this conversation?

I can't wait to crack open TFA this weekend. It's my first SW bluray...

While I was disappointed that some of the sound effects changed - notably the Falcon's cannons - I can retcon in my head.

When combined with the change in cannon mounts from overhead to underneath, I presume that the Falcon got a cannon upgrade somewhere along the line.

Yeah I always called them At At's too. It wasn't until recently that I'm hearing that was Supposedly Wrong and was supposed to be A - T A - T.

Chris

Atat sounds dumb, but so does A-T-A-T. Imperial Walker, on the other hand...

Atst sounds even dumber. Atsat sounds just as dumb but also kind of better. Atstat, too. But when you have Chicken Walker, anything else just won't do.

We all know it's supposed to be A-T A-T but we don't say M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A. either. When acronyms are easily pronounced the get pronounced.

Pronunciations for Mospeada, go.

Moss-Pea-Ada.

Pronunciations for Mospeada, go.

Moss-Pea-Ada.

Yuck, not in my household. I'm in the camp that prefers to say it more like "Motor speeder", "moe-speed-uh". The good news is, it's not an actual word so everyone can be right on that one. When we find the person pronouncing AT-AT as 8-8 we can all make fun of them.

Edited by jenius

Curious, could it perhaps be a generational thing? I'm 40 and it was always At At(@ @) and A-T S-T (scout Walker) but obviously grew up long before the Internet and "extra Feature" type interviews could be seen. Maybe the people that call it A-T A-T are a bit younger and grew up in a time when they could/did hear what Lucas intended them to be called?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Until this thread I never realized my own inconsistency. For over 3 decades it has been A.T.S.T. and at-at for me and maybe everyone I have talked to about this. Imperial walker was thrown around to describe any of the walking vehicles and every once in a while it was chicken or scout walker or proto regult, but I've never been corrected and never tried correcting anyone on the names. Oddly enough I rarely heard A.T.A.T. from people including extreme fans.

Maybe the extreme fans I know aren't as extreme as I thought.

Until this thread I never realized my own inconsistency. For over 3 decades it has been A.T.S.T. and at-at for me and maybe everyone I have talked to about this. Imperial walker was thrown around to describe any of the walking vehicles and every once in a while it was chicken or scout walker or proto regult, but I've never been corrected and never tried correcting anyone on the names. Oddly enough I rarely heard A.T.A.T. from people including extreme fans.

Maybe the extreme fans I know aren't as extreme as I thought.

I think the a.t.a.t. manifested into my own speech after building this model-kit:

91rRZQTa-1L._SL1500_.jpg

It clearly states that AT-AT is an abbr. of All Terrain Armored Transport so I got the idea that a.t.a.t. should be the correct way to spell it.

And while I'm willing to fight you to the bone in this thread you can clearly call it however you want in conversations....

...you're clearly wrong though. :p

:lol::lol::lol:

*sign* a memories. I think I threw this model into the trash a few years ago while cleaning the attic. Was not my best work. :)

Hey scyla when I first saw the picture in you're post of the mpc kit I first saw it as at-at and after looking at as an adult I can see it as an acronym even though it took a couple of seconds although the way the letters are spaced still makes me think it's ok either way. Now when I look back to my childhood I think most people in my age bracket would read it as at at as well and most adults back then didn't build star wars kits. Someone earlier posted that due to the younger generations of fans with this new invention called the Internet had more exposure to the correct terms than us dumb old folks.

I rewatched TFA and I caught something I had missed, something only fans of the old Star Wars space games developed by Totally Games in the 1990's would recognize (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, X-Wing: Alliance games).

When Poe Dameron and The Traitor hop inside the First Order TIE, Poe gives Traitor a very quick rundown on the weapons. One of the weapons Poe points out the ship has is "Mag Pulse." That weapon is only shown and used in the aforementioned Star Wars space games, nowhere else B))